This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-23-2014 02:11:10 PM

pschreiber
Saionji Slapper

Worrying about calligraphy

Hey there, I've just started using this forum so as I didn't know where to start from I decided to create a topic myself. [creating my confort zone? :~~]

I was wondering now. Does anyone else get preoccupied when your handwriting just doesn't seem right in a certain day/moment/occasion?

When I was a kid I used to have a reeeeeeeeeally ugly handwriting, but today its not that bad, I'm kinda proud of it, so its kinda worrying when it looks like the scribbles of a 4 years old, right? If calligraphy does reflect one's personality, isn't it kinda sad to realize you can't write as nicely as you wanted?

Gotta envy girls because they always have such pretty handwriting. I just wonder if this matter is interesting at all haha it'd be such a shame I'd bury my head forever I guess.

#2 | Back to Top11-23-2014 09:14:08 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Re: Worrying about calligraphy

I'm a girl and my handwriting is absolutely awful because I am heavily dyslexic. So much so that I was still learning how to form letters properly at grade 9 and required special classes for that. As for calligraphy reflecting one's personality, that cannot apply to me as mine changes every couple of years. Perhaps my learning of how to draw letters was pushed back I never gained a system of writing a particular letter the same way.

Here is a tip I learnt along the way and that really helped me: try keeping all your lowercases about the same height. It might have been just me but I often would have a few letters come across as much taller than the rest so that it looked very jarring.

#3 | Back to Top12-18-2014 05:16:08 PM

Dreaded Claymore
Rose Bride

pschreiber wrote:

Hey there, I've just started using this forum so as I didn't know where to start from I decided to create a topic myself. [creating my confort zone? :~~]

Good job creating a topic. I was nervous too. Keep posting; it helps.

I've always thought that my handwriting looks like a hybrid of my mother's handwriting and my father's. My mother's is loopy, my dad's is sharp and spidery. Mine is in between. And it's usually pretty darn good.

I'm also one of the only people I know who writes in cursive.

One thing that helps me is good hand positioning. You should hold your instrument between the tips of your thumb and index finger and the side of your middle finger. A lot of people find that the upper part of the instrument will rest on the web between their thumb and the rest of their hand, and that's pretty good. What's even better (in my opinion) is for it to rest on the first knuckle of your index finger, almost parallel to the rest of your index finger.

This might feel awkward at first if you're not used to it, but it starts feeling natural pretty fast.

#4 | Back to Top12-21-2014 01:23:30 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

pschreiber wrote:

Gotta envy girls because they always have such pretty handwriting.

Excuse me while I laugh myself sick (not at you, at myself). My writing, both cursive and print, is fucking terrible and always has been. I used to envy the girls that could make cutesy little letters with little hearts dotting the i's and stuff. I don't anymore, though. I decided I needed to own that shit, so my writing just gets worse and worse every day now cool

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top12-21-2014 07:56:18 PM

Mangorabbit
Touga Topper

I always tell people mine looks like a drunken fifth grader's before they try to read it. Someone said back to me it is "more like a sixth grader's." and I felt so proud. I always try to write as fast as my brain thinks and it never works out cleanly.

"Here is my secret. It is very simple: one sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes."

#6 | Back to Top12-22-2014 02:45:12 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Mangorabbit wrote:

I always try to write as fast as my brain thinks and it never works out cleanly.

Yes. I feel your pain. Also, typing doesn't help my writing any. I'll forget how to write if I've been typing long enough.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#7 | Back to Top12-22-2014 04:28:32 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Yasha wrote:

Mangorabbit wrote:

I always try to write as fast as my brain thinks and it never works out cleanly.

Yes. I feel your pain. Also, typing doesn't help my writing any. I'll forget how to write if I've been typing long enough.

For me it's a combination of the two. Because I type much more often than I write by hand, I get frustrated that I can't write as fast as I type, so I get ahead of myself and start scrawling. If I take my time, my handwriting is decent.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#8 | Back to Top12-24-2014 09:56:48 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

I can write in 3 different writing systems
Pheonician alphabet
Latin alphabet
Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji

in all 3 forms my writing is TERRIBLE, worsen if I write with ball-pen, so I prefer pencils mostly
I'm dyslexic in my mother tongue so I can't spell properly either.

I'm a female, but I don't identify as woman, I'm genderqueer.
I don't think it has to do with being male or female, but with the speed the brain thinks and the hand writes.

まずここでこのオスカル・フランソワの命をたってからにされるがよい!

#9 | Back to Top01-02-2015 01:01:23 AM

Dreaded Claymore
Rose Bride

Karuka wrote:

I can write in 3 different writing systems
Pheonician alphabet
Latin alphabet
Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji

That's five, or perhaps four. (I'm not familiar with the differences between Katakana and Hirigana.) Isn't it?

#10 | Back to Top01-02-2015 01:50:00 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

Dreaded Claymore wrote:

That's five, or perhaps four. (I'm not familiar with the differences between Katakana and Hirigana.) Isn't it?

the way of writing in Japanese (in all 3 forms) is very similar so I count it as one

here my writing emot-tongue  (for the japanese I just copied what japanese my avatar has on it)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10891960_806845959387675_88940448818327803_n.jpg?oh=8e3e3adcc7c8e909617938e50b0ebbb4&oe=55379E55&__gda__=1430301096_33777b24246b7fac194a1f2b961696b5

Last edited by Karuka (01-02-2015 02:03:30 AM)

まずここでこのオスカル・フランソワの命をたってからにされるがよい!

#11 | Back to Top01-11-2015 09:30:48 AM

pschreiber
Saionji Slapper

Dreaded Claymore wrote:
I've always thought that my handwriting looks like a hybrid of my mother's handwriting and my father's. My mother's is loopy, my dad's is sharp and spidery. Mine is in between. And it's usually pretty darn good.

I'm also one of the only people I know who writes in cursive.

One thing that helps me is good hand positioning. You should hold your instrument between the tips of your thumb and index finger and the side of your middle finger. A lot of people find that the upper part of the instrument will rest on the web between their thumb and the rest of their hand, and that's pretty good. What's even better (in my opinion) is for it to rest on the first knuckle of your index finger, almost parallel to the rest of your index finger.

(errm I'm pretty sure thats not how I'm supposed to quote but lets try)

I'm so jealous. Would you let me see something you wrote? Cursive handwriting is the most beautiful thing.
I'll be sure to try what you are saying. I'm used to hold chopsticks w/ both the index and middle finger, though I've been told this is wrong, and I hold the pen/sharpie just the same. 'Ts pretty confortable

I got used to writing in print as a kid, because my handwriting was so disgusting to me I found I needed to change to something more appropriate, and I decided to do just like the computer. It really helped me. Some time ago I fell in love with this girl who had a lovely cursive handwriting, and a very girly (sorry about the gender stereotypes here, but you get what I'm saying) one too. I guess by trying to write similarly I started to migrate toward an in-between of both styles, and am always trying to make something of it. Nonetheless I still feel cursive, be it the teacheresque (ah! etc-love) school-book like one or the curvy decorative one, will always be the superior one I'm never going to attain.

My japanese handwriting though looks like an ordinary foreigner's.

#12 | Back to Top01-22-2015 05:05:01 PM

Dreaded Claymore
Rose Bride

pschreiber wrote:

I'm so jealous. Would you let me see something you wrote? Cursive handwriting is the most beautiful thing.

I would be honored.

Here's the messiest handwriting I could find in one of my notebooks:

http://s12.postimg.org/vpny49qmh/Dreaded_Claymore_Handwriting001.jpg

Here's part of the lyrics of one of my favorite songs that I carefully wrote out for you:

http://s12.postimg.org/685jko8w9/Dreaded_Claymore_Handwriting002.jpg

And just as a bonus, here's freehand calligraphy that is really nothing too special but that my parents love. The S is terrible, please ignore it:

http://s12.postimg.org/x3fkzkpvt/Dreaded_Claymore_Handwriting003.jpg

#13 | Back to Top01-23-2015 01:55:57 AM

Dreaded Claymore
Rose Bride

Karuka wrote:

Dreaded Claymore wrote:

the way of writing in Japanese (in all 3 forms) is very similar so I count it as one

here my writing emot-tongue  (for the japanese I just copied what japanese my avatar has on it)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ … 2b961696b5

Thank you for showing us! You appear to have neat writing in Japanese, although I can only read the English.

Last edited by Dreaded Claymore (01-23-2015 01:57:05 AM)

#14 | Back to Top04-10-2015 06:09:56 PM

pschreiber
Saionji Slapper

Hey, I too took a long (very long in fact) to answer this one, sorry!

You have beautiful cursive indeed, Ms. Dreaded Claymore! I'm currently slowly trying to learn how to write the whole words with just a single stroke. Was never easy for me, specially the more difficult transitions like a to g and things like that.

I'm posting mine here, though im not really sure if i can do the forum formatting correctly

http://s2.postimg.org/c54h9dwx1/photo_1_1.jpg
http://s2.postimg.org/nir0kl7fp/photo_2_2.jpg

I have just recently gotten into this fountain pen thing so i was playing around with inks and stuff, sorry about the mess.

EDIT: Lets try this again
EDIT 2: O great! It worked!

Last edited by pschreiber (04-10-2015 06:17:18 PM)

#15 | Back to Top05-15-2015 09:43:07 PM

Dreaded Claymore
Rose Bride

pschreiber, yours looks...scientific. That's what comes to my mind, anyway. Really pretty.

Fountain pens are great, I should get mine out and clean them and write with them. They've been sitting in a box for way too long.

Last edited by Dreaded Claymore (05-15-2015 09:44:43 PM)

#16 | Back to Top06-06-2015 01:11:55 PM

Enea
Juri Jeerer

That's my calligraphy

http://s11.postimg.org/jkn07orkv/IMG_20150606_151758.jpg

But my everyday handwriting is messy as hell, mostly due to the fact that teachers in my school speak so fast that is simply unable to me to write nice.
I have been writing with fountain pens for my entire life, now I think I couldn't use a normal pen. It feels uncomfortable.

Board footer