This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-17-2015 03:17:57 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

The Fanfiction Question

I have no idea where to put this, to be honest. I have an inkling of an idea of how to rewrite an old utena fic into something actually publishable. God knows I originally wrote it for a fiction class and the teacher wouldn't have guessed it was fanfic if I hadn't told him afterwards(I got an A btw lol). It's only on Fanfiction.net, so it wouldn't be hard for me to take it down before submitting. Probably put in a bit more character development, rework most of the lines, Americanize it, un-Ohtori-ize it in general, and of course the idea of what's happening completely changes when you take away the context of it being a continuation of something:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3038004/1/ … rd-Messiah

But as they say: was that really such a good idea?

Yeah, it's become an acceptable thing nowadays, what with Fifty Shades(yes, blech, I know) and Cassandra Clare making good(again, ew, but still). And god knows you'd have to do some hunting to find similarity to a relatively obscure show that aired in Japan more than ten years ago.

But I don't know. I thought this could serve as a general discussion point on the morality of such an idea. Thoughts?

Hat Mafia Member

#2 | Back to Top09-17-2015 04:31:59 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: The Fanfiction Question

My music theory professor in college told me: "Good artists copy; great artists steal." emot-biggrin

From what I know about Fifty Shades, there are a million problems with it, but "it's obviously fanfic" is not one of them.  You wouldn't guess that Ana and Christian used to be Bella and Edward.  At most, you'd say they belong to similar archetypes.  If E. L. James took Twilight's characters and relationships, and then recast them into something that wasn't obviously a reskinned version of Twilight, then more power to her.  And more power to you if you want to do the same.  This is called "taking inspiration."  emot-wink 

The usual argument against derivative works -- when they don't take money out of the artist's pocket -- is that they piggyback on someone else's hard work.  But if you're worried about that, look at your own words:

Frau Eva wrote:

Probably put in a bit more character development, rework most of the lines, Americanize it, un-Ohtori-ize it in general, and of course the idea of what's happening completely changes when you take away the context of it being a continuation of something . . .

Maybe this story started as piggybacking on Be-Papas' work, but by the time you've done all that, you'll have earned your own pig.  Your characters and setting will be yours, as surely as if your story had started as an original work of fiction; in fact, starting from scratch might be easier than adapting what you've written.  Once you've done that, once you've made the story your own, I don't see how anyone can say that publishing it is immoral, any more than, say, Neil Gaiman is immoral when he writes and publishes Sherlock Holmes or Chronicles of Narnia fanfiction.

#3 | Back to Top09-17-2015 07:21:10 PM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

Re: The Fanfiction Question

I say go for it. The story, as it is so far, is great. It's pretty much a ghost story and does provide a really good character study for all involved. [And reading about Nanami's death made me fight back tears. It was so thematically perfect, but why Nanami WHY?] But I do get that it sort of does rely a lot on the reader knowing SKU as it stands, being pretty much a post-series fic.
This pretty much could stand as a prototype for something bigger, like maybe more focus on trying to discover what was forgotten (whatever it is in the final product), and yes, there would be more character development in dealing with making what essentially are new characters in this situation. And to be honest, if you're aiming for a wider audience, just taking the bare archetypes of the characters and expanding on them could work well. If there's anything else you want to write about, you could put it in. It'd give it your own flavor, but still have a good chunk of what made the original story good.
So in short, you do have to do some work if you're going to make this an original story. But the results are going to be great if it's going to be sprung off this fic.

Board footer