This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top09-22-2013 03:05:57 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: The Music Thread

ELO! I don't know why, but I can't take Electric Light Orchestra as seriously as I think I ought to. I like'em, I just can't take them seriously.

Atropos wrote:

I'm gonna recommend Operation: Mindcrime, because it's awesome. Take a listen.

Very cool. Thanks.

Yasha wrote:

Manson's Triptych-- in order of "story", Holy Wood, Mechanical Animals, and Antichrist Superstar.

I actually went and sat through these in order just because the other day. I realized, listening to a live cut of Mechanical Animals, that I hadn't sat through a Manson album as an album in too long.

And now, my new music question: Do you take your hometown/home-state/province scene seriously? Friends' bands or just local scene stuff?

I'm weirdly possessive of North Carolina bands, especially. The Butchies is srs music dammit. Squirrel Nut Zippers. But, I also get very quickly into a mindset of "Our bar band, right here, in this, bar? The can kick the shit offa your band in that bar, over there."

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#27 | Back to Top09-22-2013 08:28:14 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Yasha wrote:

Manson's Triptych-- in order of "story", Holy Wood, Mechanical Animals, and Antichrist Superstar.

I actually went and sat through these in order just because the other day. I realized, listening to a live cut of Mechanical Animals, that I hadn't sat through a Manson album as an album in too long.

Mr. Manson is a very smart man, and a lot of the things he talks about really hit my buttons. You know the song Dissociative? That song was like my theme song between 2008 and 2011. Also, when I was 7/8/9ish and just grasping the concept of space, the idea of floating away in space unable to do anything but look back at the earth and know that you were never going to get home freaked me out so terribly badly that sometimes I couldn't sleep.

Oh god, I'm tearing up thinking about it. Terrifying.

Video included below because lulz. Don't watch, just listen.

And now, my new music question: Do you take your hometown/home-state/province scene seriously? Friends' bands or just local scene stuff?

Sadly, I have not participated in the music scene in Edmonton since I was in high school. I am very pleased that it's still as independent and vital as it was back then. I was shocked when I first realized that not every city has a thriving underground music scene, because it was such a normal part of life for me; you can hardly go anywhere downtown or on Whyte Ave without seeing handbills three deep on anything that will stand still long enough to staple them on. Although I am sort of upset that the old bus barns where I used to go to gigs is renovated and is now "The Arts Barns", mainly concentrating on theatre. Don't you guys know that was the last place I saw the Satanic Surfers in concert???? emot-mad

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#28 | Back to Top09-22-2013 08:43:16 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

I freaking love Mechanical Animals. I'm not the biggest Manson fan in the world, but that album really got me. That is one of my favorite songs, Yasha.

Last edited by Ashnod (09-22-2013 08:43:33 PM)

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#29 | Back to Top09-23-2013 01:18:43 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

My ELO recommendation was dissed. emot-mad

This is why I break out in a sweat when someone younger than I am tries to initiate a conversation with me by asking "what kind of music do you like?"

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#30 | Back to Top09-23-2013 01:37:07 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Nova wrote:

This is why I break out in a sweat when someone younger than I am tries to initiate a conversation with me by asking "what kind of music do you like?"

Well, I like them. emot-smile

I also recommend Operation Mindcrime, by the way. Stay the holy hell away from Mindcrime II, though.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#31 | Back to Top09-23-2013 10:19:32 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Nova wrote:

I didn't mean it as a diss. I enjoy listening to them, but like, for example, Cheap Trick or Transplants, I get the idea I should be enjoying them differently, or on a more serious level. Sorry if that didn't make sense.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#32 | Back to Top09-23-2013 02:59:05 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

No worries.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#33 | Back to Top09-25-2013 08:02:22 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I love Janelle Monae's albums starting with Metropolis (EP), The Archandroid, and her most recent album The Electric Lady. Heavily inspired by the silent sci-fi movie Metropolis it tells the story of Cindy Mayweather a droid who has fallen in love with a human which means she is now doomed for eradication. 

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#34 | Back to Top03-20-2014 01:41:04 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

Hello. I had to dig to find the music thread but it was only on page three. I have found myself in the past five years or so becoming a big fan of music soundtracks of feature films. Frankie Stralight is one of my favorite films of all time. The plot involves a poor single mother of a dwarf that goes through some rocky relationships, a world war, and long voyages across the ocean. It is a tear jerker. The music of Elmer Bernstein makes the movie. Have a listen. You can get the movie and soundtrack off itunes.

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#35 | Back to Top05-22-2014 11:53:36 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Reading old Pitchfork reviews, because I dunno I sinned and now I have to. And, I came on this gem in a Donnas review that is such a clear example of what I can't stand in reviews/criticism:

"Tommy Lee is a pretty fucking good drummer, but that's no reason to buy a Mötley Crüe record."

If the music isn't why you're buying a Motley Crue album, wtf is the reason?

Being a good/great musician is the primary reason anybody should be buying any non-charity albums. That's the sell. Are they hot? Do they have nice clothes? Good politics? Fine. But, if they can't sing or play or keep rhythm...

On the flipside, of course, I can't listen to stuff I know Jack Nitszche had a hand in, without thinking about what a horrible horrible person he is, but man he's had a hand in some brilliant music, from pioneering the Wall of Sound to his soundtrack and backing work. I'll never buy an album, or a song, because I owe it to him, or because I want to support his career/legacy, w'ev, but some of that shit sounds brilliant.

#36 | Back to Top03-19-2017 08:09:08 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Has Marilyn Manson done anything interesting in recent years, or is he pretty much a (mildly out of date but still cock-first) rocker these days? I don't expect him to be all noise-collage and experimental on every song, but I really fell off the turnip cart a couple albums ago and now I'm curious because the cart's got so far ahead I can't see it.

#37 | Back to Top03-20-2017 12:37:44 PM

vandownbyriver
Wakaba Wrangler

Has Marilyn Manson done anything interesting in recent years, or is he pretty much a (mildly out of date but still cock-first) rocker these days?

I don't follow Marilyn Manson especially closely, but I heard that his last full-length album "The Pale Emperor" was pretty decent.  Nothing that would set headlines ablaze like Antichrist Superstar or Mechanical Animals, but pretty decent and mature for someone at this stage of his career.

As for my own music likes, my tastes are all over the map (as I think is the case with most people), so I'll just post a couple things I've been listening to lately.  I've been REALLY hot on Kero Kero Bonito's album "Bonito Generation," and I highly recommend it if you like pop music of any kind.  It's British pop inspired by, among other things, J-Pop and video game music.  I'm also super late on listening to Nujabes, but holy moly, he's fantastic (rip).  Trespassers William are a nice dream pop/singer-songwriter kind of band that I've been enjoying lately, and Joanna Newsom's "Ys" has been cropping up a lot, too.

#38 | Back to Top03-20-2017 05:34:45 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I've heard The Pale Emperor is good too, and I imagine it is. His last couple albums have been uh...love song albums, really, and he is not at his best when he's singing about love, generally, though a few gems have come from that batch. Trump however is just the kind of fuel he needs. I expect music, like comedy, to be fucking gold the next few years because misery is a lot easier to comment on. emot-rolleyes

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#39 | Back to Top04-28-2017 02:20:09 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Trump however is just the kind of fuel he needs. I expect music, like comedy, to be fucking gold the next few years because misery is a lot easier to comment on. emot-rolleyes

Amen.  I'm a huge fan of Nine Inch Nails.  During the Bush administration he put out some of his best work (imo), Specifically With Teeth and Year Zero.  Year Zero was sooooo chilling, not for it's music (which was great) but the way he promoted the album with hidden messages on band-tees and leaving thumb drives with incomplete music and more clues on it at concerts.  It was crazy!  There was even a phone number (or three) you could call and get a voice mail like recording of meetings of people being broken up and people drug off to jail.

With Trump still in office (please impeach him, please impeach him) there is bound to be many responses.  As Trent Reznor said: AIR
Art
Is
Resistance

So look forward to Trump trying to destroy any kind of artistic expression that doesn't jive with his insanity.etc-saiowank

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

#40 | Back to Top06-19-2017 09:00:43 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

I'm starting to listen to whole albums again, after who knows how long of just letting iTunes randomize, unless I was listening to something for work or critique purposes. 'S'weird. I'd forgotten, basically, that there really was an era where songs were sequenced not necessarily into concept albums but to build up on each other aurally. And, it's like, How did I forget that? Listening to the entirety of Hellbilly Deluxe or Saint Dominic's Preview truly is more than the sum of the parts.

I know the feeling.  I recently decided to delve back into Radiohead's "OKComputer", what with the upcoming release under the new title "OKNotOK".  The whole album is such a beautiful, if not a little soul crushing, experience.

If you enjoy these kinds of journeys I would recommend anything Muse, especially their last few albums; "The Resistance", "The 2nd Law", and "Drones".  Most of Muse's work focuses on a dystopian political world, or as we in the states now know it, Reality.

When I need a happier uplifting sound I turn to Radiohead's "In Rainbows".  The "Deluxe" ed. with basically a whole other album added as bonus tracks is amazing.      "Last Flowers" and "4 Minute Warning" are two of my favorites from the bonus disc.  "Weird Fishes and Arpeggios" is probably the happiest song I know of.

So weird segue,

Through out my life music has been like an antidote to the poison of my daily situation.  In recent years I found myself in silence.  I guess I was so depressed that even music became too much.  It was all too loud and it was like sad paper on an open wound.  As of the last few months I have been climbing my way out of that deep depression and I can tell it's starting to get easier because I can listen to music again.  I'm looking for new songs and albums to push through my veins like a blood transfusion.  Even though some of the music makes my heart hurt, it's a good thing.  I am feeling, and allowing myself to feel- a dangerous thing for many a year.

Thanks for this thread btw, I've gotten some excellent suggestions from people with similar tastes. emot-keke

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

#41 | Back to Top09-26-2017 04:47:54 PM

Hornet
New Student

All I've been listening to lately is rando Classical, "In The Aeroplane Over the Sea" (the album) by Neutral Milk Hotel, "On Avery Island", also by Neutral Milk Hotel, and  the new(ish) Jay-Z album 4:44

I really fux with "Bam" on that album, it's SO GOOD

#42 | Back to Top10-24-2017 06:39:08 AM

vandownbyriver
Wakaba Wrangler

I just posted about this in the concert thread, but I saw Chelsea Wolfe last week, and I don't personally know anyone else who listens to her.  Thought I'd spread the good news over here!

Her music is pretty tough to categorize.  I always describe her music as "industrial singer-songwriter gothic folk metal," only half-kidding.  Her music is pretty consistently dark, and usually pretty heavy, but she's does a lot of different things with those sounds.  Her voice is great, too; it's very ghostly.  If you're into goth rock or metal music, definitely give her a shot!

Board footer