This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-12-2014 10:26:32 AM

zevrem
Banned

Favorite religious quotes?

From the Tao Te Ching:

The kind man does something,
yet something remains undone.
The just man does something,
and leaves many things to be done.
The moral man does something,
and when no one responds
he rolls up his sleeves and uses force.

From the Talmud:

There are four kinds of people no one can stand: A poor person who is arrogant, the wealthy person who flatters, a lecherous old man, and a leader who is arrogant towards the community without cause.

From Linji, a Chinese Buddhist monk:

Followers of the Way, if you want to get the kind of understanding that accords with the Dharma, never be misled by others. Whether you're facing inward or facing outward, whatever you meet up with, just kill it! If you meet a buddha, kill the buddha. If you meet a patriarch, kill the patriarch. If you meet an arhat, kill the arhat. If you meet your parents, kill your parents. If you meet your kinfolk, kill your kinfolk. Then for the first time you will gain emancipation, will not be entangled with things, will pass freely anywhere you wish to go.

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#2 | Back to Top02-12-2014 03:20:33 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: Favorite religious quotes?

My favorite Bible passage (that I know of; I haven't read it comprehensively) is one of the cliched ones.  But I make no apology.

1 Corinthians 13 wrote:

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.  And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing.  And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not love, it profiteth me nothing. 

Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not dishonor others, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, keepeth no record of wrongs; rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.  For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.  But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.  When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.  For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know fully, even as also I am known.  And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

(I have been a little naughty and combined the parts of two different translations that I like.  The King James translators were great poets but not great translators; the New International translators were the other way around.)

#3 | Back to Top02-12-2014 05:19:49 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Two favorites.

The Book of the Law wrote:

Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law; the law is love.

Egyptian funeral prayer wrote:

Hail to you, ladder of the gods; arise! Remove your earth, praise yourself that you may travel in the company of the spirits, for yours are the wings of a falcon. Cross the skies and make your abode among the followers of Osiris, the imperishable stars.

Last edited by Atropos (02-12-2014 05:20:51 PM)

#4 | Back to Top02-13-2014 06:36:16 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

One of the two great Hillels of ancient Jewish academe:  "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor: that is the whole Torah while the rest is commentary."

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#5 | Back to Top02-13-2014 08:20:09 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

"Warning: Exposure to the Son may cause burning."

That's not from the Bible, but from a church marquee.  I really like Church marquee puns, okay?

#6 | Back to Top02-13-2014 09:04:49 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Not a religion in the truest sense but...

"Nothing unreal exists." - Kiri Kin Tha's 1st Law of Metaphysics.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#7 | Back to Top02-13-2014 02:10:27 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I am a sap.

An' it harm none, do what thou wilt.

Hear the words of the Star Goddess, the dust of whose feet are the hosts of heaven, whose body encircles the universe:

"I who am the beauty of the green earth and the white moon among stars and the mysteries of the waters,
I call upon your soul to arise and come unto me.
For I am the soul of nature that gives life to the universe.
From Me all things proceed and unto Me they must return.
Let My worship be in the heart that rejoices, for behold—
all acts of love and pleasure are My rituals.
Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.
And you who seek to know Me, know that your seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery:
for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.
For behold,
I have been with you from the beginning,
and I am that which is attained at the end of desire."

I may have given up Wicca when I was like 17, but some of this stuff still sticks with me. I had that last one entirely memorized at one point.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#8 | Back to Top02-13-2014 05:20:34 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

"The gods shall lift those who lift each other."

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#9 | Back to Top02-15-2014 11:08:53 AM

zevrem
Banned

BSG is BS neoconservative propaganda, but that is awesome advice.

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#10 | Back to Top02-15-2014 12:55:08 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

zevrem wrote:

My lack of a response to this is not to be interpreted as acquiescence.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#11 | Back to Top02-15-2014 01:33:14 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

zevrem wrote:

Propaganda or not (didn't notice much of it myself-which is to say, none at all) an SF show dealing with philosophy and religion on such a scale, and believably so (as far as social impact and consequences are concerned), is very refreshing. It carries some beautiful messages. And some difficult ones.

'God doesn't take sides' is pretty awesome. More in context than by itself, as it doesn't try to justify or make sense of all the horrible things that happen yet somehow...does.

(Wait...we are talking about Galactica here, are we?)

#12 | Back to Top02-19-2014 09:40:09 PM

zevrem
Banned

My justification for that outburst, in case anyone's interested.

[If you read anything by Leo Strauss and Norman Podhoretz, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. BSG is a confused mishmash of "realpolitik," a belabored, convoluted belief in "inalienable rights," the carefully maintained illusion of democracy, racial nationalism, God of the Gaps, religious fanaticism wherever it's convenient, a belief in the supremacy of the state and in particular the military, an unabiding suspicion of the poor, and systematic deception on the part of the state. All this plus thinly veiled Zionism. (12 tribes/colonies/cylons, obsessing about going to Earth/the Promised Land, yeah.) Yes, this strange alchemical mixture of conflicting political theories is a feature of any crypto-fascist system, and the beliefs are not particular to neoconservatism, except, of course, for Zionism, which is definitely a feature of neoconservatism. All the of the professors and commentators cited as being central to the movement are Jews, and all of them are explicit about their support for Israel in spite of supposedly being loyal advisers to the US government. No, it's not anti-semitism when half the essays these people put out are about how Israel is a citadel of civilization in the face of the barbarian (Arab) hordes.

Also, the ships are all closed systems where nothing goes in or out without the operator opening the electronically controlled door like once every month or so. How the fuck can a suicide bomber sneak a bomb into that? You can't introduce terrorism into BSG for plot reasons, you have to introduce terrorism because it suits a political agenda.
]

Last edited by zevrem (02-19-2014 09:51:03 PM)

#13 | Back to Top02-21-2014 12:04:05 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

My favorite of all time has to be Matthew 5:44 : "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you."

Think about it. If everybody was nice to somebody they hated for just one day there would be no war, assault, or murder.  That verse is what made me finally decide to become a Christian and it's good advice even if you're not a Christian.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#14 | Back to Top02-21-2014 02:01:55 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Riri-kins wrote:

it's good advice even if you're not a Christian.

If this is the case, then why become a Christian? Just be a good person without all the overhead. (No pun intended.)

#15 | Back to Top02-21-2014 06:12:26 PM

zevrem
Banned

I'm not too keen on "turning the other cheek," it seems like a doctrine that's designed to protect the violent and the reckless.

#16 | Back to Top02-21-2014 06:25:25 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

zevrem wrote:

I'm not too keen on "turning the other cheek," it seems like a doctrine that's designed to protect the violent and the reckless.

It's probably notable that both times Jesus gives the turn the other cheek speech in the Bible, it's just to do the oppressor one better one time. If they take your cloak, give them your jacket. If they slap your cheek, present them with the other one.

He doesn't say to keep presenting cheeks to be slapped perpetually.

It's traditionally positioned in opposition to the eye for an eye stuff, which, itself, was usually used to illustrate an unworkable system of exaction.

Further, the extent of it has been taken by Tolstoy and others, to be a form of permitting the aggressor to out themselves, to shame themselves publicly, by taking noticeable advantage of the situation you present them with. Hypothetically, this inspires communal and joint response.

Which, isn't to suggest these methods wouldn't be difficult, or that they're going to give you a happy immediate ending. I have some admiration for the "I'll let you have the first punch" guys and all, but in my personal estimation, if someone pushes on about "let's you and me have a fight," the thing to do is either put some distance between you or just hit them right then and there and hope it ends it. (But, that's because I'm afraid of pain and dislike hardship.)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#17 | Back to Top02-21-2014 06:45:56 PM

zevrem
Banned

An "eye for an eye" isn't THAT unworkable.

#18 | Back to Top02-21-2014 06:53:37 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

zevrem wrote:

An "eye for an eye" isn't THAT unworkable.

If my brother gets mad at you and takes your eye, then your dad comes and takes my brother's eye, but I feel you deserved it and he didn't, I go for your dad's in payment, then you might feel that's unfair and I owe you an eye and something for grief and suffering, so there's both my eyes... it increases exponentially unless everyone agrees on the debt and the authority to judge the debt.

#19 | Back to Top02-22-2014 10:42:11 AM

zevrem
Banned

Anyone can "straw man" a system out of existence, I don't see how "turning the other cheek" can be reductio ad absurdum'ed less easily.

#20 | Back to Top02-22-2014 08:08:00 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

"Most of life is knowing when to be helpful or when to let it alone." - Rick Two Dogs, paraphrased

zevrem wrote:

Anyone can "straw man" a system out of existence, I don't see how "turning the other cheek" can be reductio ad absurdum'ed less easily.

Well, yes, anything can. I don't think I was, but to each their own.

Of course, whether or not you or I think one is less workable than the other doesn't change that turn the other cheek was "traditionally positioned in opposition to the eye for an eye stuff, which, itself, was usually used to illustrate an unworkable system of exaction," which was a statement dealing with the intent of some long-dead folks. Both in Christian and Jewish tradition, eye for an eye systems were more often than not used as examples of what they considered an unworkable operation, if for no other reasons than they don't actually have much benefit without exceptional limitations, including jurisdiction. Rabbinical scholars back in the pre-Christian days were very clear that these sort of lex talionis operations should be limited to financial matters, because those are easily appraised, while restitution for violence or hardship would be implausible to gauge objectively. Others suggested that direct recompense was justified, but that it is humane to abstain, and that, thus, betters us all.

It'd be hard to find a biblical or talmudic explication of eye for an eye that prescribed actually following through on it, in all cases, at all times, particularly in terms of physical maiming, which the Torah never calls for, and to memory, the Bible only calls for in terms of metaphoric self-mutilation ("If your hand causes you to do evil, get Ash on that baby and find a just chainsaw replacement" or however the epistle goes).

Thousands of years later, in today, I figure we can at least be that cautious and generous. We, in general, have better things than they did, after all, and a surer life in general. Modern medicine and the internet kind of behoove us to be better behavior.

(I'll stop derailing, now.)

#21 | Back to Top02-27-2014 10:54:43 PM

Dreaded Claymore
Rose Bride

From the Charge of the Goddess:

Keep pure your highest ideal; strive ever toward it; let naught stop you or turn you aside.

Wiccan here; Blessed Be!

Last edited by Dreaded Claymore (01-28-2016 03:59:25 AM)

#22 | Back to Top07-30-2014 12:27:21 PM

zevrem
Banned

From the Tao Te Ching:

Heaven and Earth are not sentimental;
They treat all things as straw dogs.
The sage is not sentimental;
He treats the hundred family names as straw dogs.

This can be taken literally to mean that the wise person does not put any weight on family name and affiliation. Expanded further, this could also mean that wise people similarly neglect to respect more abstract group identities, such as religions, political sympathies, or institutions of all kinds.

#23 | Back to Top07-31-2014 08:14:15 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

From the KJV Bible Psalm 23:

Psalm 23 King James Version (KJV)

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

King James Version (KJV)

Source: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s … ersion=KJV

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#24 | Back to Top01-25-2018 08:27:35 PM

terry_bogard
Banned

Now comes the final era of the Sibyl's song;
The great order of the ages is born anew.
And now justice returns, Saturn's reign returns,
Now a new lineage is sent down from high heaven.
-The Eclogue, #4, Virgil

Board footer