This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top06-24-2008 09:36:25 AM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

Re: What are you playing? [video games]

BioKraze wrote:

I'm still playing FF1 for PSP. I'm at the endgame, but I don't feel like beating Chaos. I still have to go through Lifespring Grotto, Whisperwind Cove and the Labyrinth of Time.

God, I'm gonna hate the Labyrinth. No save feature? I'm so fucked. emot-gonk

I played the gameboy advance version. I'm pretty sure there's a save feature in the chaos labyrinth.

The first time I played through the game, I kept on expecting to be directed to the various elemental temples by the plot, but it never happened, so I just got the 4 crystals and beat it.

The next time, I went through each optional dungeon for as many times as there were bosses, assuming you could choose to only fight one boss. I never understood those places, though. I mean, WTF. Little village in some dimensional dungeon? Is it supposed to make sense?

#27 | Back to Top06-24-2008 09:46:52 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

It's Final Fantasy. It doesn't have to make sense. It just is. emot-tongue

And I meant the Labyrinth of Time, not the Chaos Shrine. Labyrinth of Time is the only dungeon you can't save in. And unlike the elemental dungeons, if you die, you die for good. None of that kind "oh, we'll just put you topside again" stuff.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#28 | Back to Top06-24-2008 04:59:54 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

See, you know when you name your kid Chaos he's going to turn out all messed up. emot-frown

As I posted in the other thread, I'm playing Mass Effect at the moment. But I think I might take a break for some mindless pinata farming in Viva Pinata.

#29 | Back to Top06-24-2008 05:01:40 PM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

Actually, I'm pretty sure Chaos's parents originally named him Garland. Little did they know how damaging naming their child after a Christmas ornament would be.

#30 | Back to Top06-24-2008 05:29:08 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

I'm playing something called Bloodrayne, for Xbox.  I think the makers just decided to try to make the gothest FPS game they could, and come up with a plot later.  The main chick somehow doesn't mess up her full goth regalia even on the swamp level, and it's practically a frickin' cutscene every time she drains someone's blood to get health (not to mention the semi-sexual noises involved).  It's cool, but it's like, ....this is a bit over the top, don't you think?

#31 | Back to Top06-24-2008 05:49:00 PM

Jurrasic
Saionji Slapper

Just won FF12 last night, so I guess i'll focus on the Guitar Hero I scored over the weekend. There are some kickass tunes on this bad boy. emot-smile

I need a new epic RPG now.  I have Star Ocean: Till the End of Time in the queue, any other suggestions?

#32 | Back to Top06-24-2008 07:30:47 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Depends if you're old school (SNES/NES) or new skool (GBA/GameCube/PSX/PSP/XBox).

For old school, good standbys are Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4 and Final Fantasy 6. If you're of a more interesting stripe, try Bahamut Lagoon, Terranigma or Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen.

I can't speak for new skool games, because mainly I don't have the consoles/emulators needed to play them. But I know Kingdom Hearts is a solid game (and has a Sephiroth cameo in it, so there emot-tongue ) and so are Final Fantasy X and Chrono Cross.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I find it interesting that they released a Bahamut Lagoon-esque RPG style game for the anime Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water. I have it on ROM, of course, but it's for the NES. *sigh*

Last edited by BioKraze (06-24-2008 07:32:30 PM)

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#33 | Back to Top06-24-2008 10:46:24 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Jurrasic wrote:

Just won FF12 last night, so I guess i'll focus on the Guitar Hero I scored over the weekend. There are some kickass tunes on this bad boy. emot-smile

I need a new epic RPG now.  I have Star Ocean: Till the End of Time in the queue, any other suggestions?

Drakengard is definitely worth a look at, though the gameplay is more action-oriented. If you want to go towards older games, Vagrant Story is FANTASTIC. There's also always .hack or if you want something darker, go with Koudelka and the Shadow Hearts series.

#34 | Back to Top06-24-2008 11:52:45 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

I'm playing Bleach Blade Battlers 2 on battlers mode.

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#35 | Back to Top06-25-2008 12:31:57 AM

Prince_of_Stars
Someday Shiner
Website

Virtua Fighter 4

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/chani_sama/prince-sig.png

Sir Hellsing: Leader of the Feminine Failure Revolution
Faithfully failing at feminine tasks, gender roles, and the conventionality of femininity since 1990.

#36 | Back to Top06-25-2008 07:55:27 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Though I didn't actually play it (I watched my brother), MGS4 was amazing. No BS ending either. Should it even be considered just a mere video game?

After all, Hideo Kojima is the Ikuhara of the video game world.

Last edited by Rae (06-25-2008 07:58:34 AM)

#37 | Back to Top06-25-2008 08:25:46 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Rae wrote:

Though I didn't actually play it (I watched my brother), MGS4 was amazing. No BS ending either. Should it even be considered just a mere video game?

After all, Hideo Kojima is the Ikuhara of the video game world.

I haven't beaten it yet, I'm about halfway through. I'm actually thinking it's not as good as Snake Eater. emot-aaa Of course, that might change when I finally finish it, but there's just something about it that doesn't feel as . . . good as it could be. I'm really not sure yet.

Oh btw Raiden is stupid and no matter how many "cool" cutscenes they give him or new outfits and a lower voice, he is still stupid Raiden and will never. EVER. be badass like Snake.

#38 | Back to Top06-25-2008 09:45:27 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Emiemipoemi wrote:

I haven't beaten it yet, I'm about halfway through. I'm actually thinking it's not as good as Snake Eater. emot-aaa Of course, that might change when I finally finish it, but there's just something about it that doesn't feel as . . . good as it could be. I'm really not sure yet.

I can see what you mean. Well, if you're only halfway through, it does get better. I do think that they went a bit overboard on the cutscenes though. There are just too many and they are just too long! I kind of wish there was more gameplay.

Last edited by Rae (06-25-2008 09:46:12 AM)

#39 | Back to Top06-25-2008 09:50:32 AM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

i keep going back so Sonic 1,2 and 3. GOD i LOOOOOOVE CHEMICAL PLANT ZONE!!

I want to try the sonic game that came out for the Wii...anyone try it and have an opinion on it??

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#40 | Back to Top06-25-2008 11:28:22 AM

Triforce742
Pained Growlithe

KissingT.Kiryuu wrote:

i keep going back so Sonic 1,2 and 3. GOD i LOOOOOOVE CHEMICAL PLANT ZONE!!

I want to try the sonic game that came out for the Wii...anyone try it and have an opinion on it??

Another Sonic 2 fan on the forum. Just make sure to watch out for all that water and not die on the boss from some stupid mistake. Like hitting him too many times in a row and falling to your death underneath him. Curiosity which Sonic is your favorite?

Oh yeah, Sonic 2 is my favorite. Awesome music. Awesome levels. MILES TAILS PROWER! Yes, I always use Tails. because he is my favorite.

Last edited by Triforce742 (06-25-2008 12:49:42 PM)

"LAUGH WITH ME"
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk113/Triforce742/MGS4BeastLaughingOctopus-2.jpg

#41 | Back to Top06-25-2008 12:20:39 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

2. because of the great music the ability to charge yourself and the invincibility music. didn't change yet intill sonic 3.

2 is where its at. i burn through those levels like they are nothing. especially Chem plant zone. that water doesnt even touch me.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#42 | Back to Top06-25-2008 12:50:15 PM

Jurrasic
Saionji Slapper

Thanks Bio and Emie,

I suppose I should list what I already have/have won for RPGs back in the day as well, unfortunately i have or have won most of those.

I'm a big retrogamer, having started off with the classic Ultimas and Wizardry games on the 8-bit Commodore 64, and since I missed so many great RPGs on the SNES as I was an Amiga and PC snob during the lifespan of the SNES, I have been going back and playing the best on my GP2X which has great portable 16 bit emulation.   I've also played/won most of the better 'western' RPGs but a lot of the less popular RPGs i've just not gotten around to, or heard of in some cases.

I'll stick to listing console games for simplicity:

Played/won on 16 bit machines:
Chrono Trigger (one of the very best EVER)
Final Fantasy IV and VI (I have V on the PSX remake, just not played it much)
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 2
Seiken Densetsu 3 (fan translated ROM)
Secret of Evermore
Shining Force I and II
Phantasy Star I and III

Played/won on 32 bit machines:
Final Fantasy 7 (8 blew goats, and I never got around to 9)
Parasite Eve
Xenogears (the best console RPG of all time IMO)
Shining the Holy Ark
Shining Force III (first chapter, the only one that made it over to NA)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (I would kill for a remake of this gem)
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Vandal Hearts
Final Fantasy Tactics

Played/won last generation:
Final Fantasy X X-II(gah) XII
LOTR (not that bad of a Final Fantasy ripoff)
Xenosaga I II (I have III but not started it yet)
.hack/infection
Grandia II
Skies of Arcadia
Kingdom Hearts I and II
Drakengard I (is 2 any good?)
Wild Arms III (never got that far, it got boring fast)

Waiting to be played:
Star Ocean: Till the end of Time
Xenosaga III
Dark Cloud II
Baten Kaitos (GC via the Wii)

Any idea which would be the most 'epic' of the choices above? Or something else entirely? I try to avoid reviews because of the inevitable spoilers.   I am leaning towards Star Ocean at the moment, but I am open to suggestions.   I've heard good things about Bahamut Lagoon for a retro rpg to get into, since Bio mentioned that one. Any hands on experience with it?

Thank you!

#43 | Back to Top06-25-2008 03:20:53 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Okay, question on Xenosaga II: does it get easier after a while? I'm stuck in the beginning when they go into the encephelon. I'm not sure if I'm just underleveled or whatnot, since I did breeze through everything so far. Then again, the local enemies are difficult, but aren't giving me that much EXP. Basically, I haven't touched the game since. I'm sort of disappointed with it overall.

#44 | Back to Top06-25-2008 05:25:48 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Bahamut Lagoon is a great RPG to play, but it was never released in English. Ask ShatteredMirror for a copy of the ROM and the IPS patch, though, and you should be good to go. I should know...he provided me with my copy of ROM and IPS patch!

If you're good at games like Fire Emblem and Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre, you'll do well with Bahamut Lagoon.

#45 | Back to Top06-26-2008 11:23:41 AM

Jurrasic
Saionji Slapper

I do pretty well with tactical combat RPGs, Shining Force is one of my fave series, and I am currently playing FF tactics advance GBA on the Skytrain portion of my daily commute (I drive, and i transit. Just means I work to dam far from home.)  I'll look up Bahamut Lagoon for sure. Thanks!

And re: Xenosaga II, you might be underlevelled, or just not fighting correctly. The combat structure is way more complex then in I for sure, and 'breaking' the monster's guard and boosting like mad are keys to winning.   Personally I hated the combat in Xeno II even though it generally went faster then in I.

Also I recall in the Encephalon portion, it was a bit hard for me at first too. As I recall, each of the 'ghost' type critters says 'I Loathe your xxx' when they engage you. This is the key to beating them fast, as each is vulnerable to either a physical attack, an ether attack or a technique  or else vulnerable to a certain attack pattern. I just don't remember any more, but that's what gamefaqs.com is for.  As long as you don't read past where you are stuck, it's not cheating. school-devil

#46 | Back to Top06-26-2008 10:01:46 PM

Exios
New Student
Website

Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, and Persona 3 FES. Need a next gen system eventually.

#47 | Back to Top06-26-2008 11:35:09 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Jurrasic wrote:

And re: Xenosaga II, you might be underlevelled, or just not fighting correctly. The combat structure is way more complex then in I for sure, and 'breaking' the monster's guard and boosting like mad are keys to winning.   Personally I hated the combat in Xeno II even though it generally went faster then in I.

Also I recall in the Encephalon portion, it was a bit hard for me at first too. As I recall, each of the 'ghost' type critters says 'I Loathe your xxx' when they engage you. This is the key to beating them fast, as each is vulnerable to either a physical attack, an ether attack or a technique  or else vulnerable to a certain attack pattern. I just don't remember any more, but that's what gamefaqs.com is for.  As long as you don't read past where you are stuck, it's not cheating. school-devil

Ah, thanks! I will definately try to get started playing the game again. The combat bothers me as well. I dunno though, the Xenosaga series hasn't exactly been my piece of cake in general though. I guess it's because I'm such a Xenogears snob (which I played probably ten times). Oh yes, and Star Ocean: Til the End of Time is good, though there's a bunch of cliche' plots in my honest opinion. Then again, RPGs are like that.

I've been playing Persona 3: FES lately as well ... even though I played the original game last year. I can't resist the costumes and extra little events. I'm just a little bummed that I had to start all over again, despite my extensive compedium from the original game. emot-frown

#48 | Back to Top06-26-2008 11:52:49 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I was kind of hoping this thread would die out by itself since it's a duplicate, but since it hasn't, I'm going to go ahead and lock it.  Please post about the games you're playing and their awesomeness/suckitude in Games, yay!  emot-smile

Board footer