This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-11-2013 05:24:33 PM

Junopsis
New Student

[Fic] The Radio Station (..crossover with WTNV..)

Hoping this is in the right place..
I drove home today.  In retrospect, this was a bad decision, because by the time I got home I had a short story fully formed in my head.  I must apologize for writing crossover, and for bringing in a new fandom into an old venerable one.

But I'm honestly curious about getting feedback, because it's the first decent thing I've written in ten years, and I *never* get such a concrete mental idea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Stay tuned for a restrospective on the work of Henri Viviere.  Good night, Night Vale.  Good night."
The ON AIR sign darkened and Cecil removed his headphones, leaning back in his chair to stretch.  Carlos would be here any minute!  He was looking forward to a late snack at Big Rico's, and if he was lucky, a nice evening viewing the stars.
The sound of the door closing down the hallway had Cecil sitting up again; Koshek's distant meow bringing a smile to Cecil's face.  But the footfalls were nice and solid; not quite Carlos's scientist-budget sneakers--perhaps someone from City Council?  Station Management fluttered and clacked almost happily behind its door; the footsteps paused, and a low murmur met Cecil's ear.  Low and silky--but somehow familiar..

Carlos pulled into the radio station's lot with a great deal less of his usual troubles with roving potholes.  Roses were strewn across the pavement, but flowers were much better than the carcasses left behind from the Glow Cloud.  Walking up to the door, he waved at the new intern and twisted the knob.  It didn't move, however, and he looked up at the window where lights told him that Cecil was still there.  "Excuse me.  Can you let me into the station?  I have a -- a meeting with Cecil."
He coudln't see her eyes past the glint of the Arby's sign in her glasses, but she smiled.  "I'm sorry; I seem to have misplaced the keys.  Will you help me look for them?"

"Mister Chairman!  I haven't seen you since graduation!"  Cecil shook the tall, dark-skinned man's hand enthusiastically.  "You've aged well."
"But it's very good to see you, Cecil Palmer.  It seems like you've found a  niche here."
"I have.  And I've met someone who I-- well-- you understand.  I remember you used to tell me that if I waited, and hoped, my feelings would come through.  And they did!"  Multiple public broadcasts notwithstanding.
"That's wonderful.  I came to drop off the exchange program information for this year, in case any of your students want to spend a year overseas."  He handed Cecil a large envelope; his hand touched Cecil's.
"Thank you!  I'll put it in my next show.  Are you enjoying the town?"
"I've been enjoying the stargazing; you know how mught brighter the night sky is in the desert.  And my sister came along; I think she finds Night Vale very.. comfortable."  Cecil remembered the Chairman's sister; a quiet, responsible girl who mostly stayed in the company of the Student Council.  Was she a member of it?  He couldn't remember.
"Well, I must be on my way.  Give my regards to your boyfriend."  Had Cecil mentioned..?  Well, the Chairman knew Cecil's tastes.

Carlos slotted the key into the lock; the intern had finally found them, hiding just in the shadow by the doorfame, and Carlos stepped into the dark hall.  Someone walked up to him, and he stepped aside to allow the stranger to pass; it wasn't usual for him to see a fresh face, but before he could inquite the handsome man's name the stranger was gone.  The intern didn't follow him in as he took the stairs to find Cecil. 
"Who was that, Cecil?"
"Ah, that was the chairman of my exchange school.  It was in Japan!  ..I think."  Cecil nuzzled Carlos a bit more.  "He's really handsome, isn't he?  --But you're the only handsome I need."
Carlos looked at the open envelope on the desk; a stack of forms protruded, topped off by a.. photo of stars taken from a telescope, and a smaller envelope sealed with a rose-shaped wax stamp.
A revving engine echoed off in the distance.

#2 | Back to Top11-11-2013 05:32:01 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Re: [Fic] The Radio Station (..crossover with WTNV..)

I'm not familiar with "Welcome to Night Vale", but from what I've heard it does seem like the kind of show that could mesh with SKU easily. Nice job.

#3 | Back to Top11-12-2013 09:01:54 PM

The_Lame_Goat
Rose Smilee

This made me uncomfortable, but in a good way. Even though it was brief, I was practically biting my nails during that exchange between Akio and Cecil. I'm curious exactly how Akio knows Cecil's tastes, but I don't want to think too much about it.

Oh treachery!

#4 | Back to Top11-12-2013 10:27:57 PM

Junopsis
New Student

The_Lame_Goat wrote:

This made me uncomfortable, but in a good way. Even though it was brief, I was practically biting my nails during that exchange between Akio and Cecil. I'm curious exactly how Akio knows Cecil's tastes, but I don't want to think too much about it.

Ehehe, that's what I was going for.  Lots of "ohshit there's trouble here and implications of all kinds of stuff"~

#5 | Back to Top11-14-2013 10:46:13 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Oh my God, of course Cecil went to Ohtori Academy!!  This ficlet made me so happy.  Thank you. etc-love

Board footer