This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-11-2007 10:19:32 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Color symbolism within Utena

Okay, as you all know, colors in SKU can be very symbolic. Especially towards the characters. Before I got to watch Utena, I read a review of it, and the person writing the review said that all of the characters seem to have their own signature colour schemes. After seeing Utena, I can definitely see that this is true. Colour plays a big factor in SKU, especially in hair and rose colour.

So, what is some of the colour symbolism you notice? The hair and rose colours for the characters are some of the most obvious. Red, for Touga, which symbolizes passion and power. Green for Saionji, which can symbolize envy. Just to name a few.

I'm mostly interested in the colour schemes between a pair of characters. For example, the opposites on the colour wheel. We have Touga and Saionji, who fit very well with this theme. They tend to either oppose each other, or work well with each other, depending on which part of the series. For purple and yellow, we have Anthy and Nanami. These two don't tend to get along well, and Anthy is always playing tricks on Nanami after Nanami's attempt of revenge on her.

For orange and blue, Juri and Miki. These are the two student council members we see getting along the most. They balance each other out. On another note about Juri and Miki.. It's also interesting that Ruka is blue-haired too, and he trained Juri. She has orange hair. And then she trained Miki, who also has blue hair. It goes in a pattern.

Anyway, it seems that the characters with the opposite hair colours tend to have some kind of strong relationship, one way or another. That's not to say characters without hair colour opposites don't either. Utena and Anthy have pink and purple hair, which seem to just look good together more than anything. I haven't really noticed too much that is symbolic with their colours. But as I noted in a previous thread before, I think pink is very much Anthy's colour. In the ending theme, she's holding a pink rose out to Utena. Pink is a mix of red and white. (Passion and purity, as Yasha noted) After Anthy leaves Ohtori, she dons a pink dress, which is a softer shade of red than that of her witch dress or rose bride dress. It's a soft, sweet colour, but not quite pure. And it is also the colour of Utena's hair. emot-keke

Hmm, let's see. I'm also curious about Juri and Shiori's hair colours. Shiroi's hair colour is a bit difficult to classify.. it looks line a wine reddish purple. Violet, maybe? And Juri has orange hair. I really have no idea what their hair colours say about each other. However, in the black rose duelists, we have Wakaba, Keiko, and Shiori as the "ordinary" girls who want to be more special, and who are jealous of the special people. Wakaba and Keiko have normal plane jane brown hair, while Shiori has a more unique hair colour. Why is this? The hair colour she has isn't as flamboyant as say Touga's or Utena's, but it is more vivid than the normal hair colours that Wakaba and Keiko have.

Maybe it's because, even if Shiori doesn't realize it, she is more special than she realizes? Her presence (or lack of, even) tugs on the heartstrings of Juri, one of the student council members who is considered one of the special, popular people. Of course, Shiori doesn't realize that until later. As for Keiko and Wakaba, they both simply desire Touga and Saionji, but they are not desired back.

Anyway, that's a farfetched theory, I know. emot-confused I'm not sure how Juri and Shiori's colours relate to each other, but violet is in the middle between blue (Ruka) and Juri (orange), I guess.. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? D:

Or just colour schemes in general. emot-keke Any other things you've noticed? etc-love

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (03-11-2007 10:23:27 PM)

#2 | Back to Top03-11-2007 11:12:24 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Re: Color symbolism within Utena

Hm... For Shiori, I see it more of dark maroon. Which is kind of like Purple mixed with Red.
I remember reading a review before about how Anthy is similar to Shiori in the sense that they are both manipulative. And Red, I suppose, would go with what you said about passion and power. She may look like a normal girl, but she certainly has huge ambitions to be able to enter the arena twice. Once as a mindless Black-Rose Duelist, and the next time willingly as another Rose Bride, this time, consciously know about the duel to revolutionize the world.

Another way to look at this is that her color, maroon, neither red nor purple, but more of a mix, gives you a "dirty" feeling, implying that her heart is tainted, her feelings are twisted. She can be considered a semi-important villain of SKU, as a result. Her color becomes more purple in the movie version, in my opinion. And, in the movie, she's even more selfish and manipulative than the TV version to the point that she wants to destroy Jury, not just subdue her.

Saionji... other than Envy, I felt that it can also imiply his desire for "Eternity". Green associates with Grass, and grass gives a connotation of youth and life, in other words, eternal.

Miki, being blue, I think implies perhaps purity, but I'm not sure. I read before that blue rose, while beautiful, is artificial. The thing he fights for doesn't exist in the world anymore. So, maybe his color implies an unattainable hope. Then again, that'd contradict with the fact that Kozue also has blue hair, darker, but still. Well, in Black Rose Saga, she also wanted to go back to the childhood time with Miki, sort of.

Juri, I felt, orange, associating with sunset, implies the end of something. I think it associates with "age". That perhaps she's someone who'll soon be past her prime. Maybe that's why she's presented as a foil to Utena, who, in contrast, while also boyish, is more energetic. I remember in the manga, Juri even thought of giving up her title as the captain of fencing to Utena.

Last edited by Hiraku (03-11-2007 11:41:15 PM)

#3 | Back to Top03-12-2007 02:05:29 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Maroon? Ah, I can see that too. Although, I thought violet was supposed to be the reddish purple, while indigo was the blueish purple..

Good point about Saionji's hair. emot-keke Green is the colour of grass and nature, and it does represent youth, and life. I normally associate green with those things, but for some reason when I think of Saionji, I forgot. Maybe because of his personality or just that his hair is a pretty dark green.

#4 | Back to Top03-12-2007 03:36:04 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Notice....Saionji and Nanami both have purple eyes. school-eng101school-eng101school-eng101school-eng101school-eng101 Significant?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#5 | Back to Top03-12-2007 03:39:49 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Alright, let me take a crack at this. This keeps getting longer as I write this, so I'm just going to cover Touga for now. Wiki links scattered throughout.

I always find that Touga's hair color seems pretty straightforward. Red is the color of passion, lust, love, particularly in English heraldry. It's a very strong color, but at the same time it's a typical color for a rose to be. Whenever you think of a rose, you automatically think it's red. When girls think of a prince, they'll think of Touga. Yet, the only red you see on his dueling uniform is on the trim and the other decorations. Now, I know that idea is that the jacket is white(symbolizing the prince), but he's the only one that isn't wearing pants that match his hair. (I'll get to Juri's coral/salmon shenanigans later)

Let's look at a few social and cultural references and see how they relate to Touga. In Christianity, red is the color for the Pentecost, which occurs 50 days after Easter. Oddly enough, the date range for this is between May 10 and June 13. Touga's birthday is June 4th, which is where Pentecost fell last year. The holiday celebrates the day that the Holy Spirit(Dios?) appeared to the Apostles(Duelists?). In Italy, it's traditional to have red rose petals fall from the ceiling of the church.

Also, red is the color associated with Wrath, one of the seven deadly sins.

Red is the color associated with the Muladhara, or root/base chakra. It corresponds with instinct, security, survival, and basic human potential. Now, the funny part is that it's located between the genitals and the anus. It is also associated with giving spiritual energy a physical manifestation.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#6 | Back to Top03-12-2007 04:00:58 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

So...if blue implies calm and purity, etc. wtf is Kozue doing with blue hair and eyes?

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Red is the color associated with the Muladhara, or root/base chakra. It corresponds with instinct, security, survival, and basic human potential. Now, the funny part is that it's located between the genitals and the anus. It is also associated with giving spiritual energy a physical manifestation.

In that case it has nothing to do with Touga. emot-mademot-mademot-mad

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#7 | Back to Top03-12-2007 05:17:23 PM

Hysterical Woman
Touga Topper
Website

YamPuff wrote:

So...if blue implies calm and purity, etc. wtf is Kozue doing with blue hair and eyes?

Kozue is calm...until she sees some baby birds or brothers in danger.

"So you should crossdress and help people.” And she did.

#8 | Back to Top03-12-2007 05:42:54 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

YamPuff wrote:

Hm... Yeah, I don't feel that exactly fits. But the thing about the blue rose, though, might be what they have in common. They both want to go back to that garden brimming with light, even though it's impossible.

#9 | Back to Top03-12-2007 05:43:48 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Kozue's hair is mostly blue. Meaning she is overall very calm. But her hair isn't really blue, it's purple. A very light, very blueish shade of purple. So this would add in red, passion, something we can all agree Kozue has.

In the movie, however, Kozue's hair becomes more of a green-blue than a purple-blue. This adds in envy. Umm, bathtub attempted homicide? Yes, movie Kozue's hair was spot-on.

Last edited by dollface (03-12-2007 05:44:42 PM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#10 | Back to Top03-12-2007 05:49:42 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

What color is Shiori's hair color, anyway? It's not maroon, it's not burgundy, it's not violet...

When I used the eyedrop tool to get her hair color, it kept coming out as pink. The closest color that I have ever seen to her hair color was called, "Dark Rose." *Looked it up while she was writing this post.* It seems to be one of these colors:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/RzMule/ShioriHair.jpg
If Shiori's hair really is a dark shade of rose, then what does that mean? It's almost a pinkish purple, which would be perfect for her, since she has been compared to both Anthy and Utena at some point in the anime.

#11 | Back to Top03-12-2007 06:02:55 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I agree about Miki and Kozue's hair colours. The fact that they're twins and their hair colours are even different shades, seems to represent different aspects of their personality. Actually, Miki's hair looked closer to a medium, kind of cyan blue. (Closer to yellow, but also kind of in the middle?) While Kozue's is closer to red/purple. Hers' is also darker.

Pinkish purple, huh? Heh, I can never get all of the different colour names for Shiori's hair right. emot-tongue I wonder how that goes with orange, though? The Utena/Anthy parallel works well.

#12 | Back to Top03-12-2007 06:47:08 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I think Shiori's hair is wine-colored, kind of like the red-violet crayon in the Crayola box. If you prefer, it's more of a dark magenta/fuchsia. I'll probably go into detail later, but her hair seems to be a perfect Red-Violet, only darker.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (03-12-2007 06:50:48 PM)

#13 | Back to Top03-12-2007 08:00:19 PM

Mai_Kanzaki
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

Eh maybe it's the whole cops thing but I've associated blue with justice, as well as intellect and creativity(last two are definitely Miki to the nines sorta). Mostly this has to do with connections to the sky really. If you can construe intellect as reason then we come to Miki's duel. emot-keke;;;

Anyway the way I see it the characters personalities seem to better correspond with the meaning of their rose colors. Red stands for romantic love, orange/coral being passion, yellow for gratitude/admiration, and the rest of ROY G BIV doesn't seem to have meanings attached. Though pink is innocent love or affection and white is pure love. White and red roses supposedly stand for true love, red and yellow stand for happiness, and pink and yellow for friendship... I think. I work right next to the store's floral department so I see the little cheat chart constantly.

emot-gonk THINK MUN-KEY!

#14 | Back to Top03-12-2007 10:15:40 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

My basic take on colors...

White- A color for innocence, virginity, peace, higher self, and in some cases protection. (Utena and Dios)

Red- Passion, strength, driving force, lust, survival (Touga)

Green- Growth, personal goals, envy, success. (Saionji)

Orange- success, justice, hope, energy, courage and knowledge . (Juri)

Blue- Wisdom, protection, calm, communication, inspiration. (Miki, Kozue, and Ruka)

Yellow- imagination, memory (Nanami)

Brown- freindship, favors (Wakaba)

Pink- love, friendship, affection, nurture, caring (Utena)

Purple- hidden knowledge, influence, spiritual, power (Akio, Anthy, Shiori)

Black- Biding, protection, shapeshifting, absorbing, banishing, death

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#15 | Back to Top03-12-2007 10:48:16 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

How do we reconcile pink with Mikage, tho? Even Nemuro really doesn't fit any of the "pink profiles."

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#16 | Back to Top03-12-2007 11:02:04 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

morosemocha wrote:

How do we reconcile pink with Mikage, tho? Even Nemuro really doesn't fit any of the "pink profiles."

pink is also tuned down red... a lack of pasion turned a lighter color, Nemuro lacked of pasion.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#17 | Back to Top03-12-2007 11:04:25 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Nemuro lacked passion, but did Mikage? He had kind of a cold passion towards Anthy!Mamiya. Or Tokiko. Or whoever.

I'm still not sure any of the pink profiles work for Mikage. emot-frown

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#18 | Back to Top03-12-2007 11:12:23 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Personally I thought of Mikage as a kind of anti-Utena so I think his pale pink hair was more of a hint to indicate to us (the watchers of the series) that he should be viewed in the contect of how different yet related he was to Utena, but I cannot think of a good example to back this up as such, its more of an instinctial belief than a true observation.

#19 | Back to Top03-13-2007 06:48:06 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Red...located between the genitals and the anus

Bwhaahahahaha. Wins.

Maybe that's why Akio kinda adopted red. school-devil

As for Mikage, I would agree he's supposed to remind us of Utena. It seems odd they made a point of having a significantly older male character be her height. That just doesn't seem like a detail that would be thrown in on its own, when there'd be no reason under heaven to make him anything but around Touga and Saionji's height. If they wanted to downplay his machoness and go with nerdy wuss, they still could have done that without making him so short.

Just a random thought...I wonder if Nemuro was something of what Utena would have become without meeting her prince? The odds she'd actually have killed herself are slim, it's far more likely that for different reasons, but just the same, she'd be a complete emotional void. Trudging through life without purpose. Akio gave her that purpose where Mikage received none except to be a machine, although ultimately, they're both used as such.

On the subject of colors though, I did notice before that the coloring of his uniform is almost like a colorswap of Miki's, who I also tend to relate him to since they have genius in common.

It's been pointed out green's a natural color...when I was watching the series that occured to me when he was out camping in Nanami's Egg. Seemed fitting the green-haired character would be the sort to do that.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#20 | Back to Top03-13-2007 12:36:20 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Alithea wrote:

Pink- love, friendship, affection, nurture, caring (Utena)

And Mikage?

All this colours are true, but i noticed one thing: the minor characters hair colour is more similar to real colours. I mean, Kozue is more human than Miki (or maybe, more sinner), her colour is not that radiant. Wakaba's hair is orange, but not that orange as Juri. Shiori is Violet / purple / pink, but not like Anthy's or Utena's. And finally, Akio, his hair is white, but God's hair is a white more pure.

#21 | Back to Top03-14-2007 01:07:52 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Hey, no-one mentioned Tsuwabuki (sp?). Notice he has brilliant yellow hair while Nanami's is a more pale sort of blond. Her hair doesn't exactly match her rose color unlike the other duelists, if I remember correctly.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/Compare.jpg

#22 | Back to Top03-14-2007 07:16:40 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I always considered Tsuwabuki's hair to be more of a yellow-ochre or a mustard yellow. Either way, that color is made by adding either brown, grey, or black to make it less bright. Now how can we interpret this?

#23 | Back to Top03-15-2007 02:13:19 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

You know, I've been wondering about that one too.

Despite the different shades of blonde, they look pretty similar. Perhaps it is because Tsuwabuki wants to be like a big brother to Nanami?

emot-confused

#24 | Back to Top03-15-2007 06:38:01 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Raven Nightshade wrote:

I always considered Tsuwabuki's hair to be more of a yellow-ochre or a mustard yellow. Either way, that color is made by adding either brown, grey, or black to make it less bright. Now how can we interpret this?

The first thing I thought of was that hair color becoming duller and closer to grey is a process that happens as you grow old, which goes along all too well with Tsuwabuki's desire to become an adult. His hair is darker than Nanami because, despite their age differences, he's the more grown-up one between the two.

#25 | Back to Top03-15-2007 07:35:01 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

You know, I've been wondering about that one too.

Despite the different shades of blonde, they look pretty similar. Perhaps it is because Tsuwabuki wants to be like a big brother to Nanami?

emot-confused

I wonder if having the same hair color is significent. Miki and Kozue are brother and sister and have the same hair color, but Touga and Nanami don't look anything alike at all. Utena and Mikage have the same hair color and are the same height. And then you have Nanami and Tsuwabuki who are both blond. None of the hair colors are exactly the same shade though. Its as if having the same color indicates a special relationship between the two people. Also, Nanami's henchbitches (gotta love that phrase) all have brown hair.

Yay food for thought. school-chefschool-chef

Board footer