This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1676 | Back to Top02-21-2016 08:43:46 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Movies

Deadpool was everything I hoped it would be. I'm so happy Ryan Reynolds finally got a break. He's fucking adorable, even when he's all scarred up.

Any movie with pegging being depicted as something that isn't going to destroy a person's masculinity is a good movie.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#1677 | Back to Top02-21-2016 09:02:58 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Deadpool was everything I hoped it would be. I'm so happy Ryan Reynolds finally got a break. He's fucking adorable, even when he's all scarred up.

Any movie with pegging being depicted as something that isn't going to destroy a person's masculinity is a good movie.

Happy International Women's Day.

Nope! Nope! etc-love

Last edited by Ashnod (02-21-2016 09:03:31 AM)

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#1678 | Back to Top02-21-2016 06:41:22 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Ashnod wrote:

Saw Jem & the Holograms tonight.

I loved it. Not even in an ironic sense.

I know it's not a great film.

Still loved it.

Would have seen the sequel that they will never make now.

I would be very interested in hearing why you liked it, because I was already angry with it before the first trailer even appeared.

Giovanna wrote:

I have yet to hear a bad review from anyone who's watched it. Hopefully, I can work it into my schedule Tuesday.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#1679 | Back to Top02-21-2016 08:59:03 PM

Ashnod
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

I would be very interested in hearing why you liked it, because I was already angry with it before the first trailer even appeared.

Honestly, there is probably nothing I could say that would make it sound appealing, especially if you were hoping to have something along the lines of the original animation.

However, you asked why I liked it, which isn't necessarily why you would like it.

So...

1. Enjoyed the Jem as accidental internet celebrity angle. Makes sense to me for the era.
2. Liked that Synergy and the hologram technology was present in the narrative in some form.
3. I liked the interplay between the actresses for the four sisters.
4. Enjoyed a lot of the soundtrack.
5. Liked that this was set up, cliche as it may be, as more of a prequel to something larger.

The fact that it a story based on the original animation and not an adaptation of it doesn't bother me, though I understand this is a huge point of contention for pretty much everyone. This is something that by and large rarely bothers me, and most of the time I appreciate why alterations and changes were made in the process of putting something on film even when I am disappointed that they had to happen.

Of course, none of that in any way eliminates the film's flaws. But as with all guilty pleasures, I can overlook them. I know it's not a good film, and I'm okay with that. But I do think it's better than most gave it credit for, and certainly better than most who refused to see it ever allowed it to be.

Last edited by Ashnod (02-21-2016 09:02:23 PM)

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

#1680 | Back to Top02-21-2016 10:59:28 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

The points you gave are perfectly valid reasons for liking it. I think that if it had been packaged as its own movie instead of slapping Jem's name on it, I would be more likely to give it a shot.

#1681 | Back to Top02-25-2016 04:59:31 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Rewatching Pink Angels and while dreading the ending I know is coming (in the last twenty seconds, the gang, in drag, as discovered by the comedy badguy as fags and hung while somebody sings a twangy God bless America song), and some of the gags are eyerolling, but "You police think you own this world, but this is one red-blooded American faggot you can't push around," is fun to see in a 1973 theatrical release. The Nazi iconography, the racial integration, the aggressive way both homosexuals and heterosexuals try to curtail the one little English dude from being bi, fears of aging, fears of presentation, law, order, degradation and depression. Which is a lot for 80 minutes of omg how swish are they! and that butch cop! woo! farce.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#1682 | Back to Top03-02-2016 03:23:48 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Ashnod wrote:

1. Enjoyed the Jem as accidental internet celebrity angle. Makes sense to me for the era.
2. Liked that Synergy and the hologram technology was present in the narrative in some form.
3. I liked the interplay between the actresses for the four sisters.
4. Enjoyed a lot of the soundtrack.
5. Liked that this was set up, cliche as it may be, as more of a prequel to something larger.

Even the incidental music is really charming. And, that really was some great sibling dynamics, especially compared to how much most Hollywood flicks fall back on the same basic sitcom sibling patterns.

I like that it plays well for kids, mostly. First rule of kids movies, for me, is always: see it with kids.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#1683 | Back to Top03-02-2016 03:53:13 AM

malna
Caretaker

Looks like I'm the only one who didn't enjoy Deadpool. I don't know, the characters left me completely indifferent, so did their relationships, and at no point was I curious about further events. The humour didn't do it for me either. I like some of Marvel movies (Thor II takes the cake) and I love Constantine as anti hero so it's not like I have a problem with the genre. Well, perhaps to some extent it was my decade long affair with Constantine that made me ridiculously demanding of my comic books based anti heroes.
Or maybe the movie was just that bland.

a lot of hope in one man tent

#1684 | Back to Top03-11-2016 03:09:36 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Someone was talking about an Expendables for horror icons, again, and so I'm rewatching Wishmaster (with Robert Englund, Buck Flower, Angus Scrimm, Hodder Kane, et al)  and realizing that action movies were, essentially, the only genre that hadn't had those sort of get-the-old-leads-big-guns-together flicks, probably because real action movies are, really, a fairly young genre. (Which, I'm arbitrarily going to say Leigh Brackett and Howard Hawks invented, or distinguished from adventure movies.)

#1685 | Back to Top04-08-2016 07:43:08 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Watching Phantasm and something struck me: Is there any movie genre that gets as frequently arthouse-y as horror? In the sense of the sense of violating basic filmic vocabulary or doing much more to evoke than to narratively represent?

(Weirdly, the next genre to come close is probably gangster/crime movies. Maybe, it's generated by an influx in the 30s through 60s of more artsy-pretentious filmmakers getting work only in those genres, and then those, like Takashi Miike, Don Coscarelli, Martin Scorcese being inspired to basically go directly to that, rather than being forced in there.)

#1686 | Back to Top06-23-2016 05:15:01 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Thinking of Secretary and how, for all the received wisdom that adaptations are lesser forms and water everything down, some things could use a little water. Things grow with water. Other things get mercy-killed with water.

#1687 | Back to Top07-17-2016 06:47:53 PM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

(( I know it isn't a movie, but I can't seem to find a TV-show thread.  Anywah, I'm marathoning Stranger Things on Netflix, and... it's defiantly has the 80s-supernatural horror vibe down.  I feel like I'm watching something that Clive Barker or Dean Koontz thought up.  And... it has this creepy Elfin Lied vibe to it as well.  ))

#1688 | Back to Top07-20-2016 06:31:50 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I watched The Green Mile for the first time.

The funny thing is I was not aware what novel it had been adapted from, but as I was watching it I began thinking, damn this is SO Stephen King, but it's definitely not by him. And then the credits rolled and I did a double take. XD But the 'we are all walking our own green mile' at the end made me roll ym eyes so hard they almost popped out of my skull.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#1689 | Back to Top07-22-2016 05:03:07 PM

Zerokohai
Mikage Mistruster

I remember wanting to do The Green Mile for my film review assignment back in my GCSE English, but someone else already chose it (in the end, I went with...Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods. Yeah...).

It's a decent film, I suppose. Haven't watched it since then. Not familiar with much Stephen King work outside of the really mainstream stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/5GUbWA1.png

#1690 | Back to Top07-24-2016 04:00:13 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

It's alright...I mean, it feels like this amazing movie while watching but when you think about it, it isn't all that deep? People are split into 'good' or 'bad' categories...you don't ever find out what any of the 'good' prisoners did to get the death sentence. The 'bad' ones (Percy and the nutso prisoner) are waaayyy too cartoon-villain and have no depth at all. They have not one single redeeming quality between them. Jon Koffy (sp?) has the most lack of depth, being just a simpleton with a gift. And in the end the most important thing is that the main (white) character has bad feels for what happened to Koffy. Of course there are no women worth mentioning and I'm pretty sure the movie doesn't pass the Bechdel test - although the two ladies might have shared a line or two during that one lunch. No fault of the movie - this reeks of Stephen King storytelling.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#1691 | Back to Top07-26-2016 03:26:56 PM

Zerokohai
Mikage Mistruster

I must admit, the scene where Percy is put into a catatonic state felt really silly and somewhat tonally inconsistent with the rest of the film (even though part of the film revolves around John Coffey having magic powers...for some reason).

In a way, he's more or less the equivalent of Curley from Of Mice and Men (i.e. his entire one dimensional character is that he's aggressive and foul), another work about a (relatively) innocent man who ends up dead at the end.

Last edited by Zerokohai (07-26-2016 03:29:02 PM)

http://i.imgur.com/5GUbWA1.png

#1692 | Back to Top07-26-2016 05:25:29 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I feel awful admitting this but the one character in The Green Mile that I truly connected with was the rat. I was rooting for the rat the whole time...other than I remember precious little, to be honest. I seem to recall its trying very hard to be How To Kill A Mockingbird but with zero nuance.

#1693 | Back to Top07-27-2016 03:21:36 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

My Dad told us going into the movie that the mouse was the best character.
I have to agree. emot-smile

#1694 | Back to Top07-27-2016 08:41:50 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I think you should also watch The Shawshank Redemption for comparison, which is also a Stephen King movie/book set in a prison.

#1695 | Back to Top07-28-2016 01:27:01 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I'll check it out!

#1696 | Back to Top08-21-2016 08:51:18 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

So, lots of movies have got our basic human conditions down: feeling in love, feeling scared, etc. But, some movies make you feel the effects, perfectly, of more specific situations. Gregg Araki's Smiley Face makes me feel stoned, watching it. It's like eighty minutes of being stoned. Scorsese's Bringing Out the Dead makes me feel burnt out, watching it; it's immediately exhausting and then pushes through exhaustion into that slipstream of moment-to-moment coping and drained-ness.

Any good suggestions for movies that make you really feel some of those more precise scenarios?

#1697 | Back to Top08-22-2016 06:23:12 AM

Ashnod
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Scorsese's Bringing Out the Dead makes me feel burnt out, watching it; it's immediately exhausting and then pushes through exhaustion into that slipstream of moment-to-moment coping and drained-ness.

Are you the Japanese Sandman? emot-wink

#1698 | Back to Top08-24-2016 12:20:09 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Ashnod wrote:

Are you the Japanese Sandman? emot-wink

I am the Japanese Sandman. emot-wink

(And, I am, once again, watching Walker, which is reminding me why I love acid westerns, Alex Cox, Marlee Matlin, and Ed Harris so much. Beautifully smart movie. As relevant today as it was then and in the period the film takes place in.)

#1699 | Back to Top08-24-2016 11:42:03 AM

malna
Caretaker

Words fail me. This be impossibiru!. Soviet superheroes defending the USSR, Marvel rip-off! YEAH. emot-biggrin

a lot of hope in one man tent

#1700 | Back to Top09-10-2016 02:43:13 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Movies I watched in theaters more than four times:

All three Lord of the Rings
Star Trek Beyond

I've never seen such a horribly managed marketing and release campaign for a movie that was actually really good, and I hope to god they don't bail on the whole thing with the nuTreks on account of its 'failure', now that they finally found their stride. (Can you call a movie that's made $300 million so far a failure, when you released it a god damn week before Suicide Squad so it was only on IMAX for a week and also forgot to tell anyone at all it was coming out, despite it being Trek's 50th anniversary?)

Can Yorktown please exist? Someday? Can I be frozen in a block of ice (hey I do live in Canada) until it does? Of course not. ...But since such large scale human ambition and ingenuity is the stuff of Rivendell-like fantasy, can we also throw in Kirk so I can suffocate him with my vagina?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer