This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-29-2010 12:28:54 AM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

Utena Reference Guide

I was wondering if we could compile an index/reading list of all the works that inspired Utena, since there are clearly a lot and I'm itching to see what influenced the creators.

Off the top of my head:

Story:
Shuji Terayama
JA Seazer
Frank Wedekind (Mine-Haha)

Visuals:
Kanashimi no Belladonna (style)
Charles Rennie Mackintosh (roses)
Manet (Olympia) - episode 23 - Source - http://www.broomstick.org/utena/mikage.html

Direct References:
Herman Hesse (Demian) - chick speech
Plato (Allegory of the Cave) - shadow puppets, overall themes
Cicero (The Dream of Scipio) - duel song (Shiori's, I think)

I'm missing lots. Help?

(And this is off-topic, but does anyone know where I could get a transcript of Ikuhara's commentary for the last episode? It's the only DVD I'm missing.)

Last edited by spiralstairs (06-02-2010 12:31:12 AM)

#2 | Back to Top05-29-2010 09:16:39 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

Re: Utena Reference Guide

I have a copy of the transcript ripped straight from the dvd so no names and there are quite a few typos the text is too long for the board so link
http://rapidshare.com/files/393126687/NewFile.srt

#3 | Back to Top05-29-2010 09:19:26 PM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

Tits! Thank you! emot-biggrin

#4 | Back to Top05-30-2010 09:00:31 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

If you want to compile a list like this, I think it's very important that you note where each of the works you mention are referenced in the series. For example,

Herman Hesse's novel "Demian" (the inspiration for the Student Council's "chick speech")
Manet's painting "Olympia" (visually referenced in episode 22)

JA Seazer

Does he really count as an influence on the creators, given that he was one of the creators? emot-confused Speaking of JA Seazer, a list of everything referenced in his songs would be quite a project by itself.

Last edited by Dallbun (05-30-2010 09:00:45 AM)

#5 | Back to Top05-30-2010 09:13:44 AM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

Well, I could use all the help I can get since this is a very part-time, when I have free time project, so I'll directly reference where I can. And I counted Seazer because Ikuhara was a fan before they got started, but I guess Tenjo Sajiki/Banyu Inryoku could be used instead although they're not directly referenced in the show.

#6 | Back to Top05-30-2010 12:44:51 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

I believe it was dollface that wrote a particularly insightful essay about the many allusions to Greek mythology and archetypes, particularly the statues that are displayed at several key times. But I could be wrong. Wish I could find it! I believe it was in the all purpose analysis thread, wherever that went. I highly recommend it as I think it was probably one of the best researched and most illuminating essays I've read on here.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

Board footer