This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top03-20-2007 01:37:51 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Re: We Hate SKU!

Or it could be just a kangaroo.

*runs like phuck*

The first season in much better during the rewatch I must admit. Although I have to agree...huge planets looming outside the window didn't phase me at all, but Utena ripping off her dress and turning the sheet into a dress makes me giggle in disbelief. What a strange series this is.

This may be an odd thing to say but, I wish Utena had lost more than one duel.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#77 | Back to Top03-20-2007 02:01:49 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Oh, the first three episodes are so deceiving! Before I started watching SKU, I read a lot of reviews which wrote about SKU's complexity and symbolism overload... Once I started watching I was wondering did all of it just fly over my head. Where's all that has been promised to me? So I've watched the first three episodes at least 30 times before advancing to the rest of the first arc. It's really silly actually. I guess that would be my only personal gripe with the anime.

Oh, and recycling duel cells. It just ruins the whole concept for me: Instead of trying to gather as much symbolism as my eye can catch & hold, I get all technical and start remembering all the episodes where I already saw those moves and wondering how much time did it take them to re-paint the original character into a completely different one. Then I realise that it didn't take long, because a single anime has a single style for each of their characters (with a touch of difference here and there) and then I wonder if it is such a simple method, how come I can't draw SKU properly and then it stops being important which episode I was watching, because I'm totally not paying attention anymore. emot-gonk It might have something to do with my concentration, but it's hard to look at a duel as a single unique event at that single unique moment, when it's just bits and pieces chopped out of previous duels and sticked together again in a slightly different way.

Last edited by Arki (03-20-2007 02:05:00 PM)

#78 | Back to Top03-20-2007 03:50:04 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Arki wrote:

Oh, the first three episodes are so deceiving! Before I started watching SKU, I read a lot of reviews which wrote about SKU's complexity and symbolism overload... Once I started watching I was wondering did all of it just fly over my head. Where's all that has been promised to me? So I've watched the first three episodes at least 30 times before advancing to the rest of the first arc.

This is why every time I've evangelized the series to someone, I've said, "Don't judge by the first episodes.  Watch through episode 7 before you make a decision to stop or go forward.  If episode 7 doesn't drag you in, nothing will."

#79 | Back to Top03-20-2007 05:09:17 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

tohubohu wrote:

This is why every time I've evangelized the series to someone, I've said, "Don't judge by the first episodes.  Watch through episode 7 before you make a decision to stop or go forward.  If episode 7 doesn't drag you in, nothing will."

Sometimes even that isn't enough. Noir's story doesn't really begin before episode 10 - too long in my opinion, but there you go.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#80 | Back to Top03-20-2007 08:38:53 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Maarika wrote:

Hehe, I got a whole different impression on that. emot-biggrin
SKU seems quite feministic to me. The crossdressing thing, for example, is full of irony. They take the concept, dress Utena like a boy and in the end throw it all away in the end to show that even that isn't right. The way Utena dresses is symbolic, I agree that people can be strong and noble even if they wear a dress, but when you make things more symbolic then Utena wouldn't have left the same impression on others if she had been wearing her regular school uniform (or even a dress). ;D

I got a different impression from that aspect too. I think that SKU showed feminism or weakness= dress and strength=not dresses because that's a typical stereotype that's shared across many cultures. Then once the audience recognizes this reference, the series turns. Utena fought Touga in a girl's uniform after all, and briefly fought Akio in her rosebride dress. In the end, her clothes aren't symbolic of anything but her own self. Even Anthy defies the dress stereotype. She's wearing a dress when she takes her life and future into her own hands by telling Akio she's done with the game, and that she's leaving.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#81 | Back to Top03-21-2007 04:17:34 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Indeed. emot-keke That's what I usually tell my friends when I recommend SKU to them. Then again, most of them never bother to watch the first episode, let alone 7 of them. As for Noir, the pacing always seemed fine with me. Then again, I never payed that much attention to notice when the plot starts to unfold. Does make sense though; SKU uses 12 episodes to intoduce at least 8 characters, while Noir in 10 episodes introduces 2. :3

#82 | Back to Top03-21-2007 05:36:26 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Ugh. I know what you mean about Noir. If it weren't for Yuki Kajiura and some good recommendation I might have given up on it.

SKU didn't really grab me until Juri's first duel, when Utena's sword gets her rose and later when she opens her locket and Shiori's inside. That was a big wtf moment. But it was really love for Miki that kept me going for so long in the first place. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#83 | Back to Top03-22-2007 08:24:02 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

There's really only one thing I hate about SKU and that just so happens to be how damn much they throw around how one feels for Touga and Saionji.

You start off feeling neutral about Touga, then he steals Anthy and you start to hate him, then he starts sulking like an emo piece of feces so you start being sick of him, then he comes back and it's all like WTFSEXYYYY??? and then you love him, and then he's a BASTARD to Nanami and you hate him, and then he does that whole cute thing with falling in love with Utena and by then you're just too confused to feel anything anymore.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#84 | Back to Top03-22-2007 11:41:59 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

hyacinth_black wrote:

There's really only one thing I hate about SKU and that just so happens to be how damn much they throw around how one feels for Touga and Saionji.

You start off feeling neutral about Touga, then he steals Anthy and you start to hate him, then he starts sulking like an emo piece of feces so you start being sick of him, then he comes back and it's all like WTFSEXYYYY??? and then you love him, and then he's a BASTARD to Nanami and you hate him, and then he does that whole cute thing with falling in love with Utena and by then you're just too confused to feel anything anymore.

That's one of the things I love about the chracters, actually. etc-love They're so layered and flawed but sympathetic at the same time. It makes them very real. While I have my favourite characters, even the characters that are not my favourites still fascinate me so very much.

Oh, and I agree about waiting a few episodes to give a series a chance. For SKU, I kept watching even when the first arc seemed kind of dull, because I heard so many good recommendations for the series and I wanted to find out what would happen. Plus, the wackyness had me curious. I was very pleasantly surprised. etc-love

I've just realized I can't give a series (unless it's still on-going and freakishly long, like Bleach or Naruto) a good judgement without seeing a good hanfull of episodes, or better yet, finishing it. My sister has gotten me to watch Blood +, and I'm on episode 19 out of 50.. something. At first I wasn't too interested, but I kept watching, and I'm glad I did, because it's getting interesting.

But, on the topic of things you dislike about the series.. everyone, pick your favourite character, and try to think of something that they did/was done to them that you dislike the most? That might be interesting.

For me, well.. Probably right after Utena walked in on Anthy and Akio. Her reaction confused me, and then right after she asked Akio out on a date? emot-confused It seemed like she was trying to prove something to herself, I don't know. I probably need to rewatch that part and think about it some more.

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (03-22-2007 11:45:13 AM)

#85 | Back to Top03-24-2007 11:50:43 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

But, on the topic of things you dislike about the series.. everyone, pick your favourite character, and try to think of something that they did/was done to them that you dislike the most? That might be interesting.

Touga: Walking out on Nanami after her duel and not telling her the truth about them being brother and sister. That was a wtf moment for me because there was no reason for him to do that.

Juri: When she slaps Anthy down in her first ep.

hyacinth_black wrote:

Well put.

But that's the part I love.

#86 | Back to Top03-24-2007 12:54:39 PM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Okay then!
Anthy: ...No, I can't think of anything. I love everything about her.

#87 | Back to Top03-24-2007 01:02:25 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Hina the Prince wrote:

Okay then!
Anthy: ...No, I can't think of anything. I love everything about her.

I tried doing the same thing. No matter what, I can't bring myself to dislike her, she's too fascinating for that.

edit: unless we're talking about something else than series!Anthy. Then I could most likely find something to whine over. emot-tongue

Last edited by Maarika (03-24-2007 01:04:50 PM)

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#88 | Back to Top03-24-2007 01:06:47 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Heh, that's exactly why I picked something for Utena, and not Anthy. emot-biggrin Which is funny, because Anthy's done so many bad things, but she's too fascinating to change. Although, I didn't like how she told Utena she couldn't be a prince because she was a girl. I figured she was trying to disable Utena from protecting her, because she thought Utena would die trying to save Anthy, and Anthy didn't want to be saved/thought she deserved it/etc. But I'm not sure where the girl --> can't be a prince thing came from. Perhaps it was a way to discourage Utena.

..just like what Dios said, too.

#89 | Back to Top03-24-2007 02:54:37 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

The whole "a girl can't be a prince" thing is what Utena's revolution is based on. These are the standards/roles that are set for people by society and often a lot of people accept them or even make a rule out of it which they have to follow. I think when Anthy said that, it wasn't only to discourage Utena, but also to show how deeply she (and other characters) were stuck in that mindset. Which also sort of justifies the backstabbing in my eyes (there are also other causes for that), even though I've noticed some people have taken that as the reason for hating Anthy.

#90 | Back to Top03-24-2007 03:19:31 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I could have lived without the "walk upstairs to the duelling arena" segment in most of the episodes.  I  mean, come on..  It's not that it's not a catchy song or a cool segment.  I just feel it wastes time in an episode.  Kind of like in Digimon, where we have to watch all of the digimon digivolve in each episode.  Cool the first few times, but then you just start ffwding through it.

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#91 | Back to Top03-24-2007 03:35:16 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Heee, I know a lot of people don't watch those scenes! emot-biggrin
I almost always do when I have the time. It's sort of a nice break where you can wonder about all the stuff that had previously happened in the episode and then draw some connections.

#92 | Back to Top03-24-2007 03:39:04 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I always (usually) watch the stair climbing too. But there's something about Utena's face, during part of it, that makes her look... muppet-ish.

HonorableShadow wrote:

I just feel it wastes time in an episode.

Sadly, that is exactly why they do it.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#93 | Back to Top03-24-2007 04:13:50 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Ragnarok wrote:

HonorableShadow wrote:

I just feel it wastes time in an episode.

Sadly, that is exactly why they do it.

I think that I remember complaining about how often they did that when I first got into the series, and how repeated scenes there were in general, such as the egg metaphor.

I faster-forward over the preduel scene. I like it, but I'm just too impatient to sit through it every time.

#94 | Back to Top03-27-2007 04:07:22 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

The whole repitition thing made me wonder what age group it was orrigionally aimed for, normally repitition means it was meant for a younger group at first

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#95 | Back to Top03-27-2007 06:04:18 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Iris wrote:

The whole repitition thing made me wonder what age group it was orrigionally aimed for, normally repitition means it was meant for a younger group at first

I never thought that, but I did think the repetition, aside from saving money, served a useful purpose in establishing the timelessness of the duels, and emphasizing the amount of repetition that must have gone on over the ages.

But then, I overthink things. emot-smile

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#96 | Back to Top03-28-2007 06:48:27 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

What I dislike most about SKU is the English dub especially when they pronounce the characters names totally wrong, for instance Kozue should be pronounced Koh-Zay not Clothes-Away(not exactly like that but very close to sounding like that) like they say in the dub.

Its bad enought when I hear the dub Utena sound like Jessie from Pokemon (and half expecting a Team rocket speech) but now I have to deal with Mikage having Yugi-yami's voice in the dub and waiting for him to start blabbering on about the 'heart of the cards'.

#97 | Back to Top03-28-2007 06:57:00 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

The pre-duel scenes perform the same function as henshin scenes in Magical Girl series;wasting time and saving production costs.

Ragnarok wrote:

I always (usually) watch the stair climbing too. But there's something about Utena's face, during part of it, that makes her look... muppet-ish.

I always watch the stair scenes, but her face does look weird. It annoys me since repetitive scenes are usually of very high quality and beautifully drawn. If you're going to repeat something over and over again that many times at least make it worth it.

The elevator pre-duel scene however, is something else. Like the second ending theme song. emot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

#98 | Back to Top03-28-2007 11:17:24 AM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Tamago wrote:

What I dislike most about SKU is the English dub especially when they pronounce the characters names totally wrong, for instance Kozue should be pronounced Koh-Zay not Clothes-Away(not exactly like that but very close to sounding like that) like they say in the dub.

Its bad enought when I hear the dub Utena sound like Jessie from Pokemon (and half expecting a Team rocket speech) but now I have to deal with Mikage having Yugi-yami's voice in the dub and waiting for him to start blabbering on about the 'heart of the cards'.

Is it weird that in the original dub never saw Jury as Sailormoon? (Because they have the same actress xD)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#99 | Back to Top03-28-2007 11:27:00 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

I would like to hear the english dub....

#100 | Back to Top03-28-2007 12:04:38 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Epi_lepsia wrote:

I would like to hear the english dub....

No. No, you don't.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Board footer