This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#151 | Back to Top01-28-2007 02:10:13 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

Re: Come with me, on an SKU body language tour! Meals included!

Oh, damn. Yes! The first! *is retarded* emot-dance

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#152 | Back to Top01-28-2007 02:21:53 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

That's okay, you've been looking at Akio's ass. It's understandable. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#153 | Back to Top02-07-2007 11:50:53 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

By the way, I totally didn't forget about this thread. I've just been mulling over the right images to use for the whole Saionji and Wakaba thing. emot-redface

Edit: Which I've started writing. I think I might give it its own thread, this is getting long and I've hardly brushed the surface. emot-redface

Last edited by Giovanna (02-08-2007 08:17:29 AM)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#154 | Back to Top02-08-2007 08:54:21 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Giovanna wrote:

By the way, I totally didn't forget about this thread. I've just been mulling over the right images to use for the whole Saionji and Wakaba thing. emot-redface

Edit: Which I've started writing. I think I might give it its own thread, this is getting long and I've hardly brushed the surface. emot-redface

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I adore Ruka, but I really think that of all the "tragic couples" Wakaba and Saionji are my favorite.

etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love you. But you already know that, don't you? emot-wink

Edit:...wow, my yay! just goes right off the edge of the screen. Freaky deak.

Last edited by morosemocha (02-08-2007 08:55:07 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#155 | Back to Top02-10-2007 06:06:31 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

These are so brilliant! It's given me a whole new interest in body-language. *_*

Can we post our own body-language interpretations? Not that I want to do any right now, but if I come across a good screencap where I grasp the body language some.

I'm still amused over the one with Utena imitating Akio. And then getting his advice completely wrong. Ah, Utena. So silly.

#156 | Back to Top02-10-2007 06:48:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Can we post our own body-language interpretations?

Oh absolutely! I'd love to see others' thoughts. Body language is like any other kind of critical analysis, the more minds look at the same thing, the clearer the picture gets.

I'm having a bitch of a time with this Saionji and Wakaba one though. It keeps starting to veer off into an essay. emot-mad I'm thinking I might do it differently, complete straightforward uninterpreted reads of a batch of shots and then start a thread where we can rip apart what the behaviors are there for. There's something really amazing here as far as analyzing who Saionji is. Which means I keep starting to ramble off, heh.

#157 | Back to Top02-11-2007 11:26:30 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Let it be an essey if it turns out that way, it doesn't matter. Can't wait to see it! etc-love

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#158 | Back to Top02-12-2007 06:20:08 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

At the rate it's going it might certainly turn into that. emot-aaa

#159 | Back to Top02-14-2007 09:10:32 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yep. This is an essay.

I CAN'T SHUT UP ABOUT SAIONJI emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk

#160 | Back to Top02-14-2007 09:19:22 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

There's no need to shut up. school-devil Any idea when we'll be able to see this essay?

#161 | Back to Top02-14-2007 09:29:38 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Can't say, really. I'm picking at it at work in the morning, which means how much I produce in a day lines up directly with how much sleep I got. emot-frown It's four Word pages right now, and I've covered three shots out of probably ten to twelve I'm going to discuss. emot-gonk

Right now my approach is that I'm examine the body language straight first, and then I'm going to write the conclusions I draw from it. The latter is really where I'm going to discuss their relationship, such as it is, at any length. The body language component is all Saionji, since really Wakaba does nothing in these scenes that the episode itself doesn't explain for us. We already know she adores him and is full of shy adoration and enthusiasm, it's Saionji they neglect to explain.

I might post the straight analysis before I complete the rest, we'll see. emot-keke

#162 | Back to Top03-09-2007 09:52:42 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

As I mention at least once a day on these here forums, one of my favorite episodes, probably my favorite, is 30, The Barefoot Girl. Why, you ask? What a silly question, the whole episode is about Akio being a manipulative godless bastard. Of course I like it. But give me a little credit! It's not just that it's a major episode for my favorite character. It's also, frankly, one of the biggest body language orgies in the series. Actually, it seems to trade this off with symbolism. While there's certainly plenty of symbolism, namely the three candles going out and clever use of shots of the cocktower, there's not nearly as much symbolism as, say, the Juri episodes that come right before. But what the episode lacks (relatively) in symbolism it makes up for in body language. It's amusing to note, as I watch the series, what the animators put their effort into. I say body language was emphasized in this episode because a lot of the animation is spent on shots that could have been halfassed without major disruption to the storyboards. (For example, Akio running his fingers over his car.) Juri's duel episode is quite thrifty on the animation until the actual duel, which, while using shots repeated from her first, was animated in full for this episode and a lot of time went into it, especially in the effort of combining her duel with Ruka. A lot of animation is crammed into the sequence leading up to Akio and Utena kissing, for SKU, anyway. It's a major event to be sure, and because of that, the body language is in full swing, and I could frankly spend a month ripping it apart. And I might! I wanna pick this thread back up, so we'll start with a nice easy one. emot-smile

Hold your hand up, parallel to the ground, and relax. No, don't bother if you're nervous, excited, pissed, or anything but relaxed. If you're like the majority of the population (YOU ARE RELAXED RIGHT IT WON'T WORK OTHERWISE emot-mad) your middle and ring finger will touch, line up, or otherwise be closer to each other than your other fingers are.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_1290.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_1353.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_1478.jpg

This behavior continues even when his fingers are in motion. He strokes Utena's ankle and the motion of his fingers favors keeping those two together.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_1370.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_1378.jpg

This is usually considered a baseline behavior. It happens for the same reason a lot of people can't move certain fingers without the others wanting to move, the muscles unless otherwise trained don't necessarily operate independently of each other. It's also very reliant on gravity. If you put your hands at your sides, your fingers are likely to group differently because gravity is overwhelming the tendency of the relaxed muscles. (For most, at their sides, the pink and ring finger are closer instead.) Relaxation is all this behavior indicates, and a lack of it only means there's some measure of excitement out of the ordinary for the person. They could be angry, excited, amused, afraid, whatever. Any kind of arousal will usually kill this behavior because arousal, even a little, makes your body more prepared for action, and one of the most important tools your body has for dealing with anything at all is your hands.

That it's so prevalent in this scene indicates the unnatural extreme of relaxation that Akio feels. We already know he's not fluttering heart excited because he totally wants to kiss Utena etc-love etc-love. But he's so relaxed there's no arousal state that would indicate amusement or satisfaction or excitement at the chase. This is so thoroughly ordinary to him that it doesn't blip on his radar any more than baking a cake does.

Now I'm not saying he takes no pleasure in it. He clearly does. But it's not an anticipated or exciting pleasure to him, of the sort you'd wait for or look forward to. There's none of that here for him, it's not like Friday night drinks with the friends where you look forward to it. He sees this as an especially fun part of a totally ordinary day. Seduce girl? See her flinch before you? Break her? He looks forward to it and is excited by it about as much as one gets excited about listening to music on the way to work.

This behavior of Akio taking pleasure in things but not getting excited by them is repeated in the series time and again. It's a sign of a lot of things, his age no doubt, his comfort with the way his life is led, and the expectation that he'll always get what he wants. (Anyone else, no matter how confident, would show arousal signs in this scene just on account of the near nil chance it doesn't go their way.) It's also, I think, a sign of how he views the world around him. As a watcher, from a distance. He's involved enough to interact and enjoy but distanced enough that his body language almost never betrays that interaction. He's so used to pleasure that it doesn't 'pull him in' as it were. When does he drop these distanced, idle behaviors? When he's pissed at Anthy.

#163 | Back to Top03-09-2007 10:02:51 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

How thought-provoking! Thanks for the explanations, Gio! emot-keke

I never would have been able to see the meaning behind those tiniest little details, but now that you point them out - my God, the nonchalant manner this man has IS unnerving! Wow! There again, Akio powers disturb and arouse! emot-aaa

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#164 | Back to Top03-09-2007 10:05:03 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I never noticed that, but Akio always seemed so very confident when he faced Utena in that scene. etc-wankgirl
Hehehe, and Utena looks so lost!

#165 | Back to Top03-09-2007 10:11:09 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Oh Giovanna, why are you so awesome. ;_; Totally kickass analysis. Gave me chills.

#166 | Back to Top03-09-2007 10:22:18 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Giovanna wrote:

When does he drop these distanced, idle behaviors? When he's pissed at Anthy.

That's something I always noticed and found interesting. Blank-faced Anthy is just about the only one capable of pissing off Akio. And she does it so effortlessly. I admire her. emot-wink

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#167 | Back to Top03-09-2007 10:24:10 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

YamPuff wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

When does he drop these distanced, idle behaviors? When he's pissed at Anthy.

That's something I always noticed and found interesting. Blank-faced Anthy is just about the only one capable of pissing off Akio. And she does it so effortlessly. I admire her. emot-wink

I've always thought that pisses hims off the most because here he is, able to elicite any reaction he wants from any person, and the one person that he can't manipulate into behaving absolutly and totally predictably is his own sister. But then, I wonder why it surprises him? He must know there's nothing he can ever do to Anthy that's worse then what she's done to herself.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#168 | Back to Top03-09-2007 11:11:46 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

morosemocha wrote:

I've always thought that pisses hims off the most because here he is, able to elicite any reaction he wants from any person, and the one person that he can't manipulate into behaving absolutly and totally predictably is his own sister. But then, I wonder why it surprises him? He must know there's nothing he can ever do to Anthy that's worse then what she's done to herself.

I think he just wants her attention. He loves his sister, after all - he doesn't care that the others act as he pleases since they mean nothing to him. She's the most important person to him [after himself, that is]. He talks to her about this new star he discovered, and she just stares at him with this blank smile and says "Yes, Onii-sama". That ought to drive anyone mad, especially when everyone else are that person's puppets on strings and he's used to getting everything he wants.

#169 | Back to Top03-09-2007 11:50:09 AM

Hysterical Woman
Touga Topper
Website

Actually, we see Akio most mad at Anthy when he sees her laughing with Utena (I think in Episode 25). He actually furious! emot-mad

I'm now also thinking of the last episode, when he's so afraid that the Hundred Swords of Hate would get him. It was another one of the few times we see him show emotion.

"So you should crossdress and help people.” And she did.

#170 | Back to Top03-09-2007 04:09:27 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Wow, what attention to detail. etc-love I didn't even notice any of that, and I still got the distinct impression that Akio was completely relaxed and confident, and that seducing an innocent prince girl was as easy as cake to him. He just oozes that kind of feeling. (I personally would hate being seduced by someone like him, because I simply cannot stand to be around guys who intimidate me.)

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (03-09-2007 04:09:47 PM)

#171 | Back to Top03-09-2007 04:58:15 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Wow, what attention to detail. etc-love I didn't even notice any of that, and I still got the distinct impression that Akio was completely relaxed and confident, and that seducing an innocent prince girl was as easy as cake to him. He just oozes that kind of feeling. (I personally would hate being seduced by someone like him, because I simply cannot stand to be around guys who intimidate me.)

But that's the beauty of it -- he would make you like it.  Or at least make you willing to overlook it.  Or maybe even make you actually overlook it by presenting himself differently.

Back to the topic: My hand doesn't do that, whether I'm relaxed or not.  In fact, it feels distinctly unnatural to hold my fingers that way.  Weird.

#172 | Back to Top03-09-2007 05:54:22 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Maaaannnn, I neverrr would've noticed any of that, really! You're so cool, Gio.

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

(I personally would hate being seduced by someone like him, because I simply cannot stand to be around guys who intimidate me.)

Mm, seconded. I always gotta be the dominant one, I'll admit - and I prefer to do the chasing emot-wink Unfortunately, I usually get bored once the chase has ended -_-;

P.S. - satyreyes, you live in Ft. Myers? I'm so jealous - I wanna see the Red Sox in spring training emot-mad

Last edited by A Day Without Me (03-09-2007 05:55:42 PM)

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#173 | Back to Top03-09-2007 07:39:57 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

P.S. - satyreyes, you live in Ft. Myers? I'm so jealous - I wanna see the Red Sox in spring training emot-mad

I was brought up to love the Twins emot-smile  They do their spring training in a stadium just five miles from where I live.  The Red Sox... I have nothing against you guys, but back when we killed stegosauri for food and I collected baseball cards, you had Roger Clemens.   The Red Sox were that team that Roger Clemens played for.  Then I stopped collecting baseball cards, which was fine until Clemens left.  Now I have nothing to associate the Red Sox with.  :/

What is Utena's body language like when she's playing sports?  Sometimes she seems so completely lighthearted about it (e.g. nailing Nanami in the face with a baseball), but other times she radiates competitiveness.

Last edited by satyreyes (03-09-2007 07:42:11 PM)

#174 | Back to Top03-17-2007 10:24:39 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

What is Utena's body language like when she's playing sports?  Sometimes she seems so completely lighthearted about it (e.g. nailing Nanami in the face with a baseball), but other times she radiates competitiveness.

It looks like she's very serious when she's doing it but once she's not actually engaged in it, she's not as serious. It's hard to say much about it since I haven't observed this sort of behavior much, I don't watch sports. I don't think she's excessively driven to win, so much as play. But that might have a lot to do with that she seems to always win. It's harder to say how she'd take getting her ass handed to her, but I tend to suspect she's not as good a loser as she thinks she'd be.

Touga:  What's wrong, Nanami? You have no reason to start dorm life all of a sudden.
Nanami:  I can't.
Touga:  We're only siblings. Shouldn't we help each other and live for each other?
Touga:  Okay? Let's go back together.
Nanami:  We're not really siblings.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_2827.jpg
Touga:  How do you know that?

As anyone that's read my silly ass Akio essay knows, pupil constriction/dilation is ruled by the autonomic nervous system, and not typically subject to the manipulative whims of the person. To summarize what you can read at length in that essay and again in this thread somewhere, constriction is a sign of distress, anger, fear, or inward contemplation. It's defensive or closing, either way, the constriction occurs, reducing the amount of light you take in, because for some reason you want to block out the world around you.

In other words, Touga either finds this 'revelation' genuinely distressing (though he's been setting it up the whole episode and knows it's a load of shit), or he's a freakishly good actor.

On one hand, it's not entirely far-fetched to give him credit for being able to fake it. There are certainly ways especially motivated people can fake distress. Actors often recall especially traumatic events in their lives to bring up tears necessary for a scene, or to look otherwise distressed beyond what they can accomplish without actually being in some way disturbed.

But it could be argued that treating his sister this way does actually bother him, enough that his distressed reaction is in some way genuine. Proof of Touga's regret for the things he does is rather slim in the series, but if you wanted to take this that way, it would be support for the argument that though it clearly doesn't influence his behavior, and probably doesn't keep him awake at night, that he doesn't exactly feel 100% happy about repeatedly screwing over the people close to him.

Which one is it? emot-keke

#175 | Back to Top03-17-2007 10:52:40 PM

Undead Princess
Saionji Slapper
Website

It's hard to really know what's going through any of the Utena characters' heads, but I think Touga was being a good actor.

I think since he wanted Nanami to think they weren't siblings, he certainly had to act like it was true...
There's probably more to it than that though, but I'm too tired to think about it. Heh.

Board footer