This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-15-2012 05:38:31 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Food Fears

Those you get. Those you don't get. The stuff that makes you turn, panicked, and go "Aaaaaah!" and the things you lurv but make everyone else panic.

I put off one of my neighbors because I think putting tallow, cubed meat, the shredded end of a loaf of bread, water and a little salt, little more cayenne past a boil turns it into grub.

I may be the only foreign teacher here (who isn't from Korea) who doesn't mind the eating of dog. (Puppy is the best meat ever. Sorry.)

But, I'm irrationally against rhubarb and even before I knew I was allergic to tofu, I had a bigoted, surly disregard for it anyway. 'Cause it's tofu.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#2 | Back to Top10-19-2012 10:36:20 PM

Juli_Revolutionary_Bat
Wakaba Wrangler

Re: Food Fears

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Those you get. Those you don't get. The stuff that makes you turn, panicked, and go "Aaaaaah!" and the things you lurv but make everyone else panic.

I put off one of my neighbors because I think putting tallow, cubed meat, the shredded end of a loaf of bread, water and a little salt, little more cayenne past a boil turns it into grub.

I may be the only foreign teacher here (who isn't from Korea) who doesn't mind the eating of dog. (Puppy is the best meat ever. Sorry.)

But, I'm irrationally against rhubarb and even before I knew I was allergic to tofu, I had a bigoted, surly disregard for it anyway. 'Cause it's tofu.

Please donīt eat puppys emot-rolleyes
They are so cute(?

Last edited by Juli_Revolutionary_Bat (10-19-2012 10:36:52 PM)

Utena: And someday, together we'll-
Anthy: Someday... together?

Someday together we'll shine.

#3 | Back to Top10-20-2012 04:32:44 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Juli_Revolutionary_Bat wrote:

They are so cute(?

Most things are cute while they're whole. If we let cuteness stop us from eating, the pumpkins and puppies win.

Which doesn't read as bad as I'd like it to.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#4 | Back to Top10-20-2012 02:09:18 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Where I come from, people thought of rabbits as cute, pet-worthy creatures meant to be cherished, so the frozen rabbits I see so often in North America's mid-to-high end supermarkets freak me out every damn time.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#5 | Back to Top10-20-2012 02:26:10 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Juli_Revolutionary_Bat wrote:

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

They are so cute(?

In Asia, dogs are often raised as pets for years, and when the time comes, they are roasted and eaten. They say the older the dog, the better they taste. They also sell whole dogs in some stores, where the dog is dressed and hung not unlike a duck. So no, they don't eat puppies, but dogs are fair game.

I think the weirdest thing I ever ate was silkworm. They were pretty mild, but they popped when you bit them.

As for food fears... I think deep fried tarantulas are quite weird. I don't know if I could try it if the opportunity arose.

#6 | Back to Top10-20-2012 03:11:14 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Syora wrote:
In Asia, dogs are often raised as pets for years, and when the time comes, they are roasted and eaten. They say the older the dog, the better they taste. They also sell whole dogs in some stores, where the dog is dressed and hung not unlike a duck. So no, they don't eat puppies, but dogs are fair game.

Syora, I'm from Asia, and I can tell you that this will not happen (at least not openly) in most major cities with rampant international businesses, as most of such places have laws prohibiting cruelty against pets (like, if you say you eat dogs in places like Tokyo or Hong Kong, most ppl WILL go WTF?!).  The only places where you'd find stores openly selling whole dogs will be in some really "out-there" small towns far and away from the main cities.

As for the silkworm, I gather you must've been in some nifty spots within Mainland China to have that experience. 

I've heard that the rabbits sold in Canada and US for consumptions are not pets, but still . . . in the same way I can't stomach the thought of eating wild horses (which I heard the French eat), I can't imagine ever trying that.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#7 | Back to Top10-20-2012 05:23:53 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

If it's animal protein, I'll eat it.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#8 | Back to Top10-20-2012 07:01:45 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I can't stomach eating a number of animals: Horses, dogs, lambs and veal. 

A big part of it was my rural upbringing, and my family raised animals for slaughter.  It provided us income and affordable meat.  We raised goats, rabbits, steers, and hunted deer and squirrel and ate fucking snapping turtles we found on the road.  I've killed animals, skinned and plucked animals, fed them knowing they were to be slaughtered or sold for slaughter.  We were by no means poor, but raising our own meat helped us financially and fed us. 

For me, eating a horse is a disgusting and violent betrayal of the trust inherent and necessary to riding them.  They are naturally a prey animal, and to let us ride their backs is a pretty big deal in that regard, and with our squishy, tiny bodies, it's a big deal we ride them in the first place.  So there is this trust element that I can't personally violate.  Lambs strike me as wrong because the farmer in me doesn't see the practically in that, taking something's life while it's young and small simply because it tastes better that way.  I was raised to value the lives of the things that died to help us continue living, and that included giving the animal in question as good a life as possible.  Eating dogs is something I could never do because dogs are very emotional, intelligent, trusting, loving creatures.  We bred them to be, we are the ones responsible for that.  I'm not sure, but in cultures where the dogs and horses are eaten, are they bred as livestock?  To think and live as livestock?  My issue is killing and eating something we have bred and domesticated to be friendly, emotional, intelligent... to grieve when we die or leave.  Rabbits I dislike the taste of but didn't take much issue with eating because they were mean ass little fuckers who liked to eat each other.  Not kidding.  Bunny cannabalism.    It's different when you raise animals, and learn about them.  What they act like, their behaviors, temperament, likes and dislikes.  In discussions surrounding meat/eating/what-is-humane, it makes hearing things like, "They are just animals" sound incredibly ignorant. 

I don't know if it's a moral issue, but it is a personal one. 

Though I cannot fault people who eat what they must because they don't have options.  I also think the assumption that everyone is able to be a vegetarian/vegan/person who only eats locally from known humane sources is just as ignorant. 

My actual food fear is tape worms.  D:

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-20-2012 07:02:11 PM)

#9 | Back to Top10-20-2012 07:44:26 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

OITL wrote:
Not kidding.  Bunny cannabalism.

emot-aaa
Must be some very specific circumstances leading to that happening.  Where I'm from, bunnies are considered safe, mild-mannered pets meant for care by lovey-dovey young couples, and are often used as "doctor" animals to cheer up sickly children and the elderly; I myself loved my cousin's rabbits as a kid.  Legislation wise, where I'm from, even just abandoning bunnies boxed in a street corner is an offense that can get you fined, and the idea of eating one will make most of us outraged, if not nauseous.  Scarily, the rabbits sold in the supermarkets in North America are whole, skinned, rabbit-looking-rabbit, and it's just a shock to my system every time I have to see one.

On intelligent animals being consumed by humans . . . I've had the opportunity to get close to a black piglet raised by the servants when I was little.  I remember it to be every bit as responsive, intelligent, and cute as the puppies we also had back then.  The black piglet turned out to be kept for food livestock purpose by the servants, and I remembered being hysterical when I chanced upon them slaughtering the poor babe.

#10 | Back to Top10-20-2012 08:17:35 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Well, they mostly ate their own babies.  And it happened a lot, with many different bunnies.  Granted, our rabbits were livestock, and while I'm not sure on the breed they were bred and selected to be stock.   Or it may have just been Missouri.  The mother bunny wanted to spare her child a life in MO, so she chewed off its leg and then waited for it to bleed out.

This may explain why I'm actually kind of afraid of rabbits, actually.  I won't even pick them up.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-20-2012 08:22:01 PM)

#11 | Back to Top10-20-2012 08:48:00 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

OITL wrote:
while I'm not sure on the breed they were bred and selected to be stock.

I sure hope it is because of the breed and the specific livestock environment that the baby-devouring occurred, cause I'm not sure my bunny-loving heart could handle otherwise emot-gonk

#12 | Back to Top10-20-2012 10:01:57 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

If it makes you feel any better, my bunny was the male stud and he was very nice and was named Thumper.

#13 | Back to Top10-20-2012 11:14:52 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I lost my current love interest because I eat veal. *heartbreak* I was kinda raised on veal, it's like, the food of my people. Everything was made of veal. My mom and I are like, the only people in our family who haven't killed our meats, and I guess I got this, they're okay with it, I'm okay with it, at an early age. *Shrug*

I've previously been with someone who eats living seafood in compromising situations and AHHHH.

I will also saute veggies in blood and be like YAY FOODS. Which is apparently gross? However, I can't buy blood on its own anymore without someone chasing me screaming WITCH at me out of the store in other languages. (I wish I was kidding about that.)

My dad's parents eat EYES. They LOVE them. And AUUUGH. Giant goddamn cow eyes. And heads. And intestines. And organs. Occasionally brains. (THEY'RE ZOMBIES. ZOMBIES I SAY.) Tongue is their religious food. Also marrow, but I'm told that's normal. (I won't touch it.) They can eat THE FAT and just be like, man, this is tasty. If it's not fur or bone, THEY EAT IT. Apparently the internal organs are the delicious part.
I also won't eat meat if it was in a can. MEAT SHOULDN'T COME IN CANS.

And man, fuck bunnies. I hate bunnies.
I also can't eat chicken or eggs if I'm visualising it having been an animal. Not because NOOO IT WAS ALIVE, but god, chickens are FILTHY. I hate chickens. I finally convinced myself to eat them out of sheer rage.
I also won't eat seafood. Smells suspicious, and man, fishies and friends are filthy.

#14 | Back to Top10-21-2012 04:53:27 AM

Dazmi
Miki Molester
Website

I can't eat watermelon. That's it. I have never disliked any food but watermelon.

Last edited by Dazmi (10-21-2012 04:59:35 AM)

#15 | Back to Top10-21-2012 06:39:11 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I have a friend who can't stand to eat an animal (or see it) if it's been cooked mostly intact or head present at all. I didn't know, so I made rabbit.

Let's just say we came close to a point where I could tell this story as "I used to have a friend."

Rabbits are not generally hugely prone to cannibalism, but yeah, they do eat their babies more than a lot of traditionally-herbivorous animals. Robben Island, South Africa, has a population of primarily carnivorous rabbits, mostly subsiding on birds and eggs, but reportedly also each other.

Rabbits respond to fear differently than many animals, as anyone who's seen a rabbit go into shock after a trauma can attest. A lot of the time when they've eaten younger or smaller rabbits, it's found that something scared them just prior, be it a rat nearby or a storm, overpopulation and crowding, leading some to speculate that the killings are more a protective measure than malice or hunger.

My nieces accidentally caught a young rabbit in a push mower last year, and though barely injured, the little guy was in shock and had to be nursed and cared for for days before he would sit upright and finally rejoined the other rabbits outside. Once he was fine, he was fine, but the scare of being pressed against a wooden dowel on the mower was enough to virtually paralyze him with fear and drop his heart rate down for days.

#16 | Back to Top10-21-2012 08:41:35 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

If I were completely honest and had much better willpower, I would probably be vegetarian. I always feel vaguely bad if I stop and think about what I'm eating -I think you nailed it OitL, in talking about your experiences with animals, and raising them. I would never voluntarily eat dog for the reasons you specified, although in a life or death situation, I don't doubt that I would choose to save myself. :/ I do eat lamb though, and veal, because they're delicious and some of my best memories are when my dad would make them as special treats (usually during the rare times we were well-ish off), although I think your argument against them is a thoughtful one. In that context, it becomes very easy to understand why they were considered luxury foods. It's impractical, and impracticality defined a lot of the measures aristos used to set themselves apart.

That said, I'm actually largely irritated by a lot of the vegetarians I run into. They don't seem to grasp the inherent privilege they have in being able to choose to deny an entire food option, simply out of a moral (or sometimes egotistical) principle. Bourdain actually makes mention of it in Medium Raw, about how disrespectful he finds it, and I have to agree. Whenever I express that opinion though, I then get "Well, what about India? They're a whole country that's vegetarian. So America can do it too." And then I laugh and laugh and laugh and then want to cry that someone could try to make a point not knowing anything at all.

Anyway, I didn't mean this to be a slag on vegetarians- I actually do respect my friends/acquaintances that have made the choice in an educated manner, and treat it like it's a responsibility and understand the inherent privilege of it. It might not be a hard choice for them, but it can definitely be a difficult lifestyle in our culture.

That being said, my biggest food fear is actually the preparation of it. I'm always terrified that I'm going to under cook something and poison everyone, or contaminate my quinoa with chicken juice, or something. I've never done it yet, but for some reason, I"m immensely terrified of doing it every time I cook.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#17 | Back to Top10-21-2012 10:50:21 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

MissMocha wrote:

That said, I'm actually largely irritated by a lot of the vegetarians I run into. They don't seem to grasp the inherent privilege they have in being able to choose to deny an entire food option, simply out of a moral (or sometimes egotistical) principle. Bourdain actually makes mention of it in Medium Raw, about how disrespectful he finds it, and I have to agree.

A well-meaning friend sent us some vegan fudge. It's awful.

That being said, my biggest food fear is actually the preparation of it. I'm always terrified that I'm going to under cook something and poison everyone, or contaminate my quinoa with chicken juice, or something. I've never done it yet, but for some reason, I"m immensely terrified of doing it every time I cook.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/foods … hermometer

We have a digital thermometer in our kitchen, and it completely annihilates that worry.

Last edited by Nova (10-21-2012 10:53:49 AM)

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#18 | Back to Top10-21-2012 12:31:12 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I want to know what these compromising situations involving seafood are all about.

#19 | Back to Top10-21-2012 08:01:50 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Apparently shit like getting shellfish or octopi WASTED and eating their drunk asses. And apparently people totally do the ikizukuri thing. We had a long distance-y relationship, and the whole time when we were over here I always was like, eh, vegetarian I guess. No. It turns out it was some DIRE phobia of eating dead flesh. I fortunately had never gone back home with them, but I'd had friends who did, and were like WHAT THE EVER LOVING FUCK. I mean, I didn't leave over it, but, what the hell? THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS. emot-gonk

Seriously, try kissing someone when you know they eat tentacle monsters for lunch.

Board footer