This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-17-2016 03:03:10 PM

loslac
Wakaba Wrangler

Sasameki Koto (Aka Whispered Words)

I recently finished watching Sasameki Koto. It was a good anime and all, but, it just felt inconclusive.
I was wondering what others who watched it felt?

Edit: I have read the manga.

Last edited by loslac (12-06-2016 03:30:33 PM)

#2 | Back to Top11-29-2016 08:34:01 PM

Ikarikun
Wakaba Wrangler

Re: Sasameki Koto (Aka Whispered Words)

I watched Sasameki koto around the same time as aoi hana...
Which is probably why, given how similar the two are, I often confuse the two to this day emot-rofl
And the anime adapts maybe 1/3 of the manga, but then it's been so long since I read the manga as well... my rec: go read the manga, and also for Aoi Hana (Official translation 'sweet blue flowers'--yetch)

For the revolution of the world, I won't give up on love!

#3 | Back to Top12-04-2016 10:14:01 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I loved this anime! But yes I agree, it did feel incomplete.  The manga wraps things up from what I heard, but sadly I'm not a manga person at all so I haven't read it.  (I honestly do try to read manga, but then I read a page and get distracted by something else and before I know it 7 hours have passed and I remember "oh yeah, I was reading that!")

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#4 | Back to Top12-06-2016 03:31:56 PM

loslac
Wakaba Wrangler

Unfortunately the only reason why it will never get a second season is because of DVD sales.
The same goes for Aoi Hana. They were two great anime's with potential but if they don't sell
then there is 0 chance of another season ever being made.

#5 | Back to Top12-08-2016 06:15:32 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Unfortunately, anime adaptations of manga (or light novels) with open or inconclusive endings are the norm in recent years, since attaching itself to a successful series is one of the ways an anime can hope to boost sales, both of the series and of the source manga/LN. Despite being a huge and lifelong yuri fan, I was never enthused by Sasameki Koto as a manga - there's way too much angst and strung-out drama filler for me - and its anime was frankly one of the most underwhelming, forgettable anime I have ever seen in my long career as a fan. To my mind its financial failure and that of Aoi Hana's in 2009 are large contributors to the ending of a roughly five year period when yuri in anime was in ascendance. However, the recent announcements of a Citrus anime (and less excitingly, Netsuzou Trap) at least afford some small hope that the pendulum may, at last, have begun to swing back.

For more on that, and if you are interested in hearing some more yuri recommendations, you can check out this thread on the subject: http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=4138

Last edited by Aelanie (12-08-2016 06:20:44 PM)

#6 | Back to Top12-09-2016 06:08:59 PM

loslac
Wakaba Wrangler

Aelanie wrote:

Unfortunately, anime adaptations of manga (or light novels) with open or inconclusive endings are the norm in recent years, since attaching itself to a successful series is one of the ways an anime can hope to boost sales, both of the series and of the source manga/LN. Despite being a huge and lifelong yuri fan, I was never enthused by Sasameki Koto as a manga - there's way too much angst and strung-out drama filler for me - and its anime was frankly one of the most underwhelming, forgettable anime I have ever seen in my long career as a fan. To my mind its financial failure and that of Aoi Hana's in 2009 are large contributors to the ending of a roughly five year period when yuri in anime was in ascendance. However, the recent announcements of a Citrus anime (and less excitingly, Netsuzou Trap) at least afford some small hope that the pendulum may, at last, have begun to swing back.

For more on that, and if you are interested in hearing some more yuri recommendations, you can check out this thread on the subject: http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=4138

To each his own I guess. Personally I enjoyed both Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto. But still not close to SKU!

Board footer