This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top07-15-2008 06:23:05 PM

Hedgehogey
Framed Landscaper

Re: The SKU Cast: Biggest Jerks in All of Anime

0: Most of the male cast of NANA. Shouji, who cheats on and patronizes his girlfriend is just a start. There's Ren, who tells Nana O. that he's leaving her for another band in another city in the middle of sex then proceeds to get addicted to heroin to satisfy his insane Sid&Nancy fanboyism. But both of them are small fry compared to Takumi, who is outright abusive to his girlfriend, doesn't use a condom, orders her around, locks her in the bathroom, isolates her inside a house he bought himself, bullies adorable shota-jiggolo Shin-chan, and is just a general cock to everyone around him.

#52 | Back to Top07-15-2008 07:01:17 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

It's funny that I couldn't bring myself to hate any male character in NANA, despite how jerky most of them were. Even Shouji and Sachiko had my blessings. And sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who didn't want to cut Takumi's head off after finding just how many ways he had wronged Hachi. He even hurt my precious Reira, and I ended up forgiving him, because fuck if he isn't the most believable rockstar in the series.

I'm not sure what my jerk list would be... Ruka would have to show up, but so would most of the SKU cast. The school children from Elfen Lied cause fist-shaking as well, even though none of the actual characters really rubbed me the wrong way. Well, Bandou. I guess Chief Kurama is a jerk to some degree, but he makes up for it. I'll second Evangelion, but not Shinji. Even though my favorite character is Asuka, I can admit that Shinji does not stir the image of a jerk, not for me. Selfish, naive, and more than a little emotionally disturbed, but not a jerk.

...And the entire cast of Death Note. Even the creators said that Soichiro Yagami was the only good character in the series. I would say that Sayu and Sachiko could fit the bill as well.

Last edited by dollface (07-15-2008 07:05:41 PM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#53 | Back to Top07-15-2008 07:16:05 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

dollface wrote:

...And the entire cast of Death Note. Even the creators said that Soichiro Yagami was the only good character in the series. I would say that Sayu and Sachiko could fit the bill as well.

Really?  You know, thinking about that show, I can't think of a single major character I'd really call a jerk, with the sole exception of Mello.  Yagami Light is outwardly the picture of a gentleman throughout the show, so as not to draw unwanted attention to himself; he never uses the Death Note just for the power rush, which is how a jerk uses his power.  L has his moments, but in general lives inside himself too much to spend much time being a jerk.  Misa is whiny and annoying, but not a jerk.  Near is too mild-mannered, Ryuk too much of a softie (in his odd way).  The entire police force is well-meaning, for all their bumbling.  I guess the guy Light gives his Death Note to temporarily -- the "eliminate!" guy -- might be called a jerk.  Really, though, it's Mello and that's it.

#54 | Back to Top07-15-2008 07:22:50 PM

dollface
Website

Hey, you. emot-mad Mello is my favorite character. emot-mad

Well, the way we'd been talked about the term 'jerk' in this thread didn't seem to apply to people who were just bad through and through-- if that were the case, SKU could never top the list. It sounded to me like we were just talking about people who did some things to make them seem a little less likeable. I love the cast of Death Note, but I'm just saying-- each of them had their jerky moments.

Edit: If Evangelion can get multiple mentions, DN can, too.

Last edited by dollface (07-15-2008 07:25:36 PM)

#55 | Back to Top07-15-2008 07:44:20 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Sorry folks, Touga is still the only character from SKU that goes on my jerk list. Other characters have their foibles but DAMN.

From Eva...yeah, most of them. Gendo at the top for being a mega-tool, Ritsuko for being a pathetic loser to the end, Shinji's mom, RITSUKO's mom, damn, and...sorry, Asuka too. Also Kaji, Gendo's second with the big hair, and...I guess that's it. Except maybe that damned penguin for making me think the show might be cute. emot-mad

Eva is definitely the jerkiest anime because if it weren't such a classic I wouldn't have bothered to watch it. I have a low tolerance for jerks.emot-tongue

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#56 | Back to Top07-15-2008 07:46:06 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

What was that Tennessee Williams said?  The theatre is a place where one has time for the problems of people whom one would show the door if they came to one's office looking for a job.

The well-adjusted, healthy individual is generally disinteresting, as we learn nothing from their competence, and the truly innocent and saccharine only earn our scorn after prolonged exposure.  On the whole, it's almost a truism, an audience responds best to its own sins* grown large.  Selfless acts have even less place in entertainment than they do in reality, and we anticipate the pretense so that the cackling villain is really only the kind, suggestive schoolgirl given an extra seven minutes of narrative.

*Sins, here, being what we'd like have or to have done, not necessarily actions we have managed.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#57 | Back to Top07-15-2008 08:05:38 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

hmm...jerk may not be the best word then, but it is the title of the thread after all. I would say that what turns me off the most in fictional characters is pettiness. I mean, Akio is a right bastard, but he's worth watching because he also has stature. Of the characters in Eva, only Gendo can make a similar claim, and when it's revealed that he's destroying the world because he misses his wife...well, that kind of punctures him for me.

-Truck North

#58 | Back to Top07-16-2008 02:27:04 AM

Hedgehogey
Framed Landscaper

dollface wrote:

It's funny that I couldn't bring myself to hate any male character in NANA, despite how jerky most of them were. Even Shouji and Sachiko had my blessings.

Don't get me wrong. Cheating on Hachi is an entirely natural reaction. But he still shouldnta done it. As for Hachi herself, she's not a jerk, she's just ditzy and makes bad decisions OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

And sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who didn't want to cut Takumi's head off after finding just how many ways he had wronged Hachi. He even hurt my precious Reira, and I ended up forgiving him, because fuck if he isn't the most believable rockstar in the series.

Well I suppose that's the point. Most rockstars are douchebags.

#59 | Back to Top07-16-2008 09:18:46 AM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Wow. I am so surprised that Tetsuo from Akira didn't make this list. He's the ultimate jerk gone totally and completely bonkers. I mean, he kills dozens of security guards, then one of his own closest friends, wipes out thousands of innocent bystanders, brutally kills his own followers, tries to kill his own lifelong best friend, generally treats his girlfriend like shit until accidentally killing her, and destroys about half a city. And if you can count it, becoming possessed by Akira and blowing up Neo-Tokyo entirely. Not to mention in the manga he blows up the moon, forces people with some psychic abilities to take pills that drive them crazy, and has an orgy where he ends up murdering two girls and barely sparing the other. I mean, no offense to the SKU cast's grand title as the biggest jerks in all of Anime, but I'd much much much rather live in Ohtori and take my chances with Nanami sticking a snail in my purse.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#60 | Back to Top07-16-2008 11:02:55 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

ugh. I try not to remember Akira...but you're definitely right. Tetsuo's a complete kneebiter.

-Truck North

#61 | Back to Top07-16-2008 11:09:31 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Has anybody (other than me) watched any Urusei Yatsura lately?  Alright, so sometimes they're well-meaning jerks, but still, y'know, jerks, the lot of'em.  Selfish, backbiting, violent, manipulative, and universally incapable of giving a damn for anybody but themselves nine times out of ten.

Except for Ran, who was just seeking clearly justified justice.  But, only just.

Last edited by Decrescent Daytripper (07-16-2008 11:09:47 AM)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#62 | Back to Top07-16-2008 11:22:58 AM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

satyreyes wrote:

I guess the guy Light gives his Death Note to temporarily -- the "eliminate!" guy -- might be called a jerk.  Really, though, it's Mello and that's it.

Nah, Mikami's just a nutter.

To me, a jerk is someone who uses their power for petty, selfish reasons deliberately to hurt someone in a fashion far out of proportion to their own injuries.

Like Shiori "stealing Juri's boyfriend" because Shiori has DECIDED that Juri looks down on her and pities her. (because that was really all in her head, and she chose to believe it rather than realize it was just a paranoid suspicion. I wonder how close and how solid their friendship actually was if she could throw it away like that.)

Or Nanami orchestrating humiliating incidents for Anthy because she DECIDED that Anthy was stealing away her brother, when really Anthy was just going about her regular Rose Bride business, and Touga coudn't care less about Anthy, except as the Rose Bride, and certainly not as an object of his affection.

I can't call most villains jerks because either they do things SO BIG, and I tend to consider jerks as being small-minded, petty, mean-spirited, the kind of low-grade evil that comes from just being people, rather than being evil. Willful cruelty as an end rather than a means, and incidental cruelty as a means only if the jerk KNOWS his means are cruel and just doesn't care.

Also, small villains like Team Rocket or Jinnai don't make the grade either, because they're so loveably bumbling that you can only like them or laugh at them.

I'm not surprised Hamel from Violinist of Hameln didn't make the list, because he's only a jerk in the manga and no one knows about it, but he's got this habit of casual cruelty which is pretty amazingly overlooked by his love interest and prime victim.

Last edited by Mishi (07-16-2008 11:24:44 AM)

#63 | Back to Top07-16-2008 11:25:39 AM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Has anybody (other than me) watched any Urusei Yatsura lately?  Alright, so sometimes they're well-meaning jerks, but still, y'know, jerks, the lot of'em.  Selfish, backbiting, violent, manipulative, and universally incapable of giving a damn for anybody but themselves nine times out of ten.

Except for Ran, who was just seeking clearly justified justice.  But, only just.

Rumiko Takahashi's comedies are just chock full of characters like that. NO EXCEPTION.

#64 | Back to Top07-16-2008 11:58:12 AM

dollface
Website

satyreyes wrote:

I can't think of a single major character I'd really call a jerk, with the sole exception of Mello.

I keep telling myself "This is a thread for SKU, if you start talking about Mello, you'll look like the REAL jerk here!", but I can't help myself. I think Mello does more to redeem himself at the end than most characters did. Death Note 13: How To Read states that Mello wants the 'Note for himself so that he may have absolute power. Pretty jerk-like, I'll agree. But when things come neck and neck, he knowingly sacrifices his life so that Near, his rival, can have the information he needed. He pushed aside all his anger and emotions because this time, there was something more important than being the best. They had to catch Kira. In fact, if Mello had not died for this cause, Light would have won, and everyone in the Yellowbox Warehouse that day would have died. And Near has the audacity to take credit, saying that together they were able to surpass L-- you didn't do anything, you jerk. All your information came from the things L left behind, and the important facts that Mello gave you. emot-mad But, that aside, even the creators said in DN13 that "Mello isn't really a bad guy."

Plus, on a smaller scale, when Mello goes to retrieve his photograph from Near, he could have just taken it and left. But even he himself says "That wouldn't be right", and gives some important information he had discovered to his sworn enemy-- information that Near could not have solved the case without.

TL;DRMello is a hero, dammit!

#65 | Back to Top07-16-2008 03:53:42 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Does anyone else define "jerk" as a G-rated synonym for "asshole"? Or as "asshole trainees"?

That said....

1. Mello isn't a jerk. The only jerk in Death Note is Near.
2. SKU is pretty much chock full of jerks.
3. So is Evangelion.
4. Jinnai is kind of a jerk, but he's more of a psycho.
5. Any omnipotent/omniscient character who knows something bad is going to happen and CHOOSES not to say anything is a jerk.
6. Sailor Uranus was a bit of a jerk at the beginning of Sailor Moon S.
7. So were Yaten and Taiki (Sailor Star Maker and Star Healer) from Stars.
8. Sayoko and Aoshima from Ah! My Goddess are pretty damn jerk-like.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#66 | Back to Top07-16-2008 04:05:52 PM

dollface
Website

Hedgehogey wrote:

dollface wrote:

It's funny that I couldn't bring myself to hate any male character in NANA, despite how jerky most of them were. Even Shouji and Sachiko had my blessings.

Don't get me wrong. Cheating on Hachi is an entirely natural reaction. But he still shouldnta done it. As for Hachi herself, she's not a jerk, she's just ditzy and makes bad decisions OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

And sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who didn't want to cut Takumi's head off after finding just how many ways he had wronged Hachi. He even hurt my precious Reira, and I ended up forgiving him, because fuck if he isn't the most believable rockstar in the series.

Well I suppose that's the point. Most rockstars are douchebags.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you. Cheating on a girl (or guy) will always be the jerky thing to do, no matter why it happned. I just recall playing a character elimination game in a NANA group, and Shouji was out by the end of the day. Takumi came right afterwards, which surprised me, because I assumed he would be the first to go.

Exactly. For me, it's hard to hate Takumi for cheating on Hachi or acting like a dick, because he's a rockstar. That's what they do. Not saying all famous people are douchebags, but if we didn't have at least one, I couldn't have believed NANA. It would have been too much to ask for me to accept that all 8 members of two rival bands would be nice people.

Raven, I agree, Near is the biggest jerk in DN for me. Being such a big fan of Light and Mello, it's hard for me to accept that the obvious flaws could really make you a bad guy, as backwards as that sounds. When I name "bad guys" in DN, my first thoughts are Near and L, quite frankly, because they are painted as being justice, being the righteous characters, which simply isn't the case. They are just as wrong as Light and Mello, but the fact that they can hide behind the law... it just makes them seem like bigger jerks to me.

Not that I'm bashing the two. I love L, and... alright, I don't like Near. But he isn't my least favorite character.

Board footer