This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top02-04-2007 12:29:07 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: Home Remedies

Over here in Australia, a product called "Senega and Ammonia" is popular for chest and respiratory problems.  It is also useful as an expectorant.

I also like to swig it to cool down my throat.

#27 | Back to Top02-04-2007 12:41:30 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Sniffing Tiger Balm does wonders for congestion.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#28 | Back to Top02-04-2007 04:07:44 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Just don't put it on your nostrils after you've rubbed the skin off from repeatedly blowing your nose.

That hurts. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#29 | Back to Top02-04-2007 12:47:33 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Yasha wrote:

Coffee will darken your hair a bit, yes. Lemon juice + sunlight (like out in the sun sunlight) will bleach it. There's one for red, too, but I don't remember it.

I think it's beet juice. That stuff stains everything.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#30 | Back to Top02-05-2007 12:07:33 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

allegoriest wrote:

I think something in cranberry helps bad bacteria to not stick to the bladder or something.

I've always heard that it's the acidity of cranberry juice (and, say, high doses of vitamin C) that alters the pH in the bladder and makes it an unhappy environment for the growth of the usual UTI bacteria.

allegoriest wrote:

Mints and ginger are supposedly good for your stomach and velerian and passion flower are good for stress and sleep.

Valerian is also used by some people for migraines.  It just tastes like gymsocks to me and doesn't put a dent in my migraines.  Feverfew is another migraine remedy.

Catnip tea, believe it or not, is good for sleeping.

I drink hops tea on a semi-regular basis for digestive issues (I have irritable bowel syndrome, which can be a very unhappy thing).  It's extremely bitter, but I find it a clean sort of bitter.  My wife prefers wormwood tea (not tincture!) for that sort of thing, but I can't cope with wormwood.  A matter of taste, I think.

#31 | Back to Top02-09-2007 07:02:11 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Catnip is a febrifuge, and a tea made of catnip can be used to lower fevers. Also, a risky but sometimes necessary way to lower a fever is a cool water bath. I actually saved a kid's life that way-- couldn't get him to the hospital. The risk is that the cold could be too great a shock to the system and the kid could have died.

Another risky herbal medicine is tansy used as an abortifacient. DO NOT USE THIS, NO MATTER WHAT. I'm only putting this here as a warning-- I found out how to do it, but I also found out that an overdose of even a small quantity can cause a coma or death. If for some reason you're like me and have had scares, and you run into someone who recommends this, rule of thumb is do not listen to them. This is very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, and even if you do.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Board footer