This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top11-18-2011 10:48:45 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: RoseCon '12: Seattle Contemplation Station

Clarice wrote:

I'll put a tentative hand up -- I honestly can't be sure what I'm doing until Christmas. If I get into my MA course at Victoria I won't be able to come, because the university semesters in New Zealand are up the wop compared to the ones in the northern hemisphere and I'll be poor as hell anyway, but if I don't get into the MA programme I'll be working as per usual and will most likely turn up. school-devil

Is it bad that I kind of want you not to get into the program? emot-frown COME ON CAN'T YOU TELL THEM IT'S HOMEWORK??? You know, like...um...cross cultural studies?

Hiraku! Yay! I figured you'd make one eventually. emot-keke Syora's old news for me, since I'm going to kidnap her if necessary and drive her across BC in the trunk of the car. emot-dance

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#27 | Back to Top11-18-2011 04:12:43 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I, too, have a tentative hand up/vote of "yea" for this. It primarily depends on if I can get in contact with an old friend of my mother's (Lady Lortab) that lives in Seattle, and see if he wouldn't mind having me around for a week. The trick will be more saving cash for the plane ride up there, and in all likelihood paying for the gas to have my parents shuttle my ass to either Sky Harbor (Phoenix) or Lindbergh Field (San Diego) because I know for sure that no plane in this podunk truck stop will go there without a stopover in one of those two cities. *le sigh*

I'm really hoping to do this at least once in my life, both for the opportunity to hang with fellow vIRGins and also to meet some of you in person. The question becomes whether I can manage my spendthrift tendencies long enough to get the money, and whether the gods will be nice enough to not string my family up on a line financially. emot-frown

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#28 | Back to Top11-18-2011 04:13:32 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Seattle is a city Paradox and I have both wanted to see (unlike NYC and NOLA), so that might increase the odds of us showing up (hey, last time I got on the plane...it just got sent back to Indy).  A lot will depend on jobs and school.  Still, we're discussing it tentatively.

#29 | Back to Top11-18-2011 05:10:27 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

My vote is for the first weekend in August, since I'm going to be in nearby Oregon the last week of July for my Great Grammy's birthday. emot-keke

Here are some of my opinions on the list satyr's got:

- Underground Tour. I EMPHATICALLY vote for the Underworld version. It is a lot more fun, there's TONS of sex and drugs and tons of stories that they don't go into during the daytime tour. The Underground is mostly centered around why there's a Seattle underground and the mechanics of building a city on a giant mud flat. The Underworld tour is much, much more fun. Depending on the size of the group, we may even be able to book a whole tour. There are two things to keep in mind: Underworld Tour is ONLY at night, and is 21 and up, no exceptions. :/

- Pike Place Market. I love the market. I'm not gonna lie. But it is IMPOSSIBLE to do on a weekend, especially if you have any anxieties about crowds. I'm not overstating or exaggerating this guys, I promise. I will not ever go on a Saturday again, it is truly heinous. ON THE OTHER HAND, if RoCo3 does end up in a place with a kitchen, this is the BEST BET for getting things to cook with. Keep in mind that the Market is actually on Waterfront -the big entrance everyone thinks of is where Pike St runs into Waterfront, so some places that say they're on Pike St may not actually be anywhere near the market.

- Seattle Art Museum. The sculpture garden is on waterfront and literally right next to the Market. They were installing pieces last time I was in Seattle and it is unbelievably lovely. It's also right around the corner from the first Starbucks, if you feel the need to pay homage. ;)

- The Space Needle.  Overpriced Denny's. :/ Pretty views, but eh. I've heard the same things as satyr about Columbia Center, but I've not visited it.

- The Science Fiction Museum and Experience Music Project. I breezed through EMP, it wasn't the sort of thing I'm into, so I couldn't tell you much. The SFM, however, was really really really really awesome. There's a few exhibits of props and costumes, movie poster and things like that -which are cool- but what I feel is the BEST part is the various listening stations where you can hear writers, actors, and producers talking about the impact of science-fiction in culture, history and their own personal philosophies and stories. Totally brilly, but there's a LOT to listen to, I spent an hour and a half just in that section, and I still only listened to maybe a third of the stations.

- Seattle Aquarium. Meh. It was undergoing a lot of refurb, but it's not very large, so I can't imagine the exhibits are anything too awesome.

Also:

Pioneer Square, which is where the Underground tours take place, is gorgeous. There's lots of amazing stores and buildings, architecture that dates back over a hundred years. It's beautiful to just walk around and hang out, but there are a lot of great bars and restaurants for snacks. There's also the Utilikilt hq -I have been dying to get Micah into one for yeeeeears. emot-biggrin Anyone wanna see my boyfriend's chicken legs? ;)

Salumi. The delicatessen which is owned by the Batali family (of Mario fame). It is amazing. Hands down, just effing fabulous. It's a bit out of the way, but definitly worth the trip.

If Micah and I are able to do this, we would have a car (possibly even a minivan, which might be better), since we'll be driving up from Portland, so transportation might not be a giant issue. Seattle does have EXCELLENT transit systems, one of my favorite things about the place.

Last edited by MissMocha (11-18-2011 05:12:07 PM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#30 | Back to Top11-18-2011 05:42:05 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Clarice wrote:

I'll put a tentative hand up -- I honestly can't be sure what I'm doing until Christmas. If I get into my MA course at Victoria I won't be able to come, because the university semesters in New Zealand are up the wop compared to the ones in the northern hemisphere and I'll be poor as hell anyway, but if I don't get into the MA programme I'll be working as per usual and will most likely turn up. school-devil

Is it bad that I kind of want you not to get into the program? emot-frown COME ON CAN'T YOU TELL THEM IT'S HOMEWORK??? You know, like...um...cross cultural studies?

Hiraku! Yay! I figured you'd make one eventually. emot-keke Syora's old news for me, since I'm going to kidnap her if necessary and drive her across BC in the trunk of the car. emot-dance

It's not a RoseCon unless at least one person gets laid out in the back of a car.

...waitasec...

Ha ha, I'm telling myself if I don't get into the programme I can at least fistpump the air and say ROSECON! There's a vague possibility I could sneak out for a week, but it appears the only break Victoria has at that point is at the very end of August/start of September, so it doesn't work at all with the US college schedule. But as I said, I can't say anything until I know one way or another. It also depends on whether I go to Vietnam in February, because the likelihood of me doing that, going to Victoria and then being able to afford the States would be slim. With that said, if I don't go to Vic, I'll likely head over to Canada on my way home; I really want to go to Vancouver and there's a couple my sister and I met earlier this year in Turkey who live in Edmonton I'd love to see again before they come to NZ in 20123. WORLD TRAVEL FOR THE WIN. emot-dance

MissMocha wrote:

- Seattle Aquarium. Meh. It was undergoing a lot of refurb, but it's not very large, so I can't imagine the exhibits are anything too awesome.

The last time I was there -- which was admittedly in, like, 1994 -- I was very sad because of the beluga whales. But then they always make me sad. emot-gonk They're all SMILEY and SAD and WANT TO GO SWIM IN THE SEA. ...although this could have been the zoo? I get confused, this was a long time ago and when I was in Washington I spent most of my time in Tacoma, but yeah. Whales make me sadface. Unless they're in the sea. school-devil

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#31 | Back to Top11-18-2011 08:16:21 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Ooooh! Seattle is drivable for me, so I might actually attend. I haven't seen a lot of Seattle apart from the convention center area (I go to Sakura Con).

I believe that all PAX badges are already sold out for 2012, and of course the downtown hotels will be more full than usual for that weekend.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#32 | Back to Top11-18-2011 09:38:47 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

The Smith Tower makes a cheaper alternative to the Space Needle.

#33 | Back to Top11-18-2011 11:40:27 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

I am SO there. I will be happy to document RoseCon again. emot-smile

And all of my RoseCon friends better be there, too! I see you coming, Mercurynin! I missed you at the last RoseCon!

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#34 | Back to Top11-19-2011 01:32:29 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

I really want to go, but I don't have a job or money. I think I need to come up with a devious plan to convince my dad that driving along the Pacific Highway to Seattle would be fun. We usually go on vacations in August too. If I go, I'm voting for going in the beginning of August before school starts. I don't think my dad would watch Utena with us though. My mom probably would, but she's busy with work.

#35 | Back to Top11-19-2011 11:26:52 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

CausalityStar wrote:

stuff that puts ideas in Bio's head

CausalityStar, where in Arizona do you live? I think you mentioned it once before and I just derped and forgot. If your route would be taking you along the Interstate 8, we could perhaps work something out. emot-keke I don't have a job either, but I do receive money every month (it's complicated) that I plan on putting away for this RoseCon.

PM me or Email me if you're interested in this sort of thing! emot-dance

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#36 | Back to Top11-20-2011 01:35:31 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I cannot say for certain that I'll be able to attend as of yet; there are some significant financial issues which might prevent me from attending, as well as other issues. I very much want to attend, however, as I haven't been to a RoseCon as of yet! Therefore, I'll be doing all that I can to make it possible for me to attend; the best answer I can give at this point is a "hopeful maybe".

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#37 | Back to Top11-20-2011 11:58:26 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Seattle? August 2012? Crazy. I might actually be able to make it to that!

I can't commit to anything yet, and am not even sure when I'll be back in the country, but but the later in August, the better my odds. 3rd-5th is almost definitely out, 10th-12th might work, and 17th-19th would probably work out great.

Last edited by Dallbun (11-20-2011 11:58:43 PM)

#38 | Back to Top11-20-2011 11:58:49 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

purplepolecat wrote:

I believe that all PAX badges are already sold out for 2012, and of course the downtown hotels will be more full than usual for that weekend.

WOW. WTF? I thought the site for PAX 2012 wasn't even up and running yet, hahahahha. How early does one have to buy those things? Excellent point about the hotels though.

CausalityStar wrote:

I really want to go, but I don't have a job or money. I think I need to come up with a devious plan to convince my dad that driving along the Pacific Highway to Seattle would be fun. We usually go on vacations in August too. If I go, I'm voting for going in the beginning of August before school starts. I don't think my dad would watch Utena with us though. My mom probably would, but she's busy with work.

Man I wish I had parents cool enough to watch Utena with me.

bella wrote:

I cannot say for certain that I'll be able to attend as of yet; there are some significant financial issues which might prevent me from attending, as well as other issues. I very much want to attend, however, as I haven't been to a RoseCon as of yet! Therefore, I'll be doing all that I can to make it possible for me to attend; the best answer I can give at this point is a "hopeful maybe".

YOU. MUST.

... not that I'm biased or anything.

#39 | Back to Top11-21-2011 05:35:38 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Count me in. I don't see why I can't make it in August twenty-twelve if I start saving this early.  Something around the middle or end of the month is most convienient for me due to school and my birthday. I'll be the crazy twenty-something dragging around a portable Saionji shrine. emot-tongue etc-saiowank

Last edited by Riri-kins (11-21-2011 05:35:54 PM)

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#40 | Back to Top11-21-2011 07:58:38 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

I approve of both your attendance AND the portable Saionji shrine. etc-love etc-love etc-love

Last edited by BlackRoseVixen (11-21-2011 07:58:59 PM)

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#41 | Back to Top11-21-2011 11:08:28 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Lex and I will certainly be there. I'll probably be teaching whenever this gets scheduled, but I can take a week off by then I'm sure. The only time I might not be teaching is toward the end of August, so it's not really worth trying to work around. Furthermore, we'll be driving up from LA-LA-land, so we'll have my trusty Nikita with us. We may also have a ShatteredMirror with us if he can swing it, but that's rather tentative.

I'm very much in favor of the suite, cooking, the Market, and the Underworld Tour. I'm fond of zoos, but I know lots of folks are saddened/angered by them, so I don't know... I'm also a fan of fine dining, so I hope we can manage a night of that in addition to any cooking adventures we can throw together. I want to cook pissaladiere so bad!!!

Gio, how is the suite layed out? Are the beds all in one room or what?

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#42 | Back to Top11-21-2011 11:26:07 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OOT OOT. Looks like the veterans are on board! I love knowing that this is something people are so eager to do again.

And again. And again. school-devil

The big suite is one queen in one room and then another room has a queen and two doubles, with an attached half bathroom. So one of the rooms is pretty low on privacy, but I have no problem with that personally, especially for a room with two bathrooms, a dining room and kitchen, and a living room with a flat screen TV. emot-dance

The fine dining meal has been a bit of a tradition at RoseCon! I'm open to suggestions. It seems almost like we should do a sushi thing this time, since we're going to be somewhere where the sushi should be quite excellent.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#43 | Back to Top11-21-2011 11:56:49 PM

Saito Hoshikawa
Thorn of Death

Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehck I wanna go. But damnit if the RoseCon is in August this next year. That's probably when I'd start my freshman year of college. Hell, I still need to learn how to drive. XD FEEEEEEEEH- I'm falling behind. DX

Not only that, but it's in Seattle. I'm in friggin' podunk mini-Hell, Texas. school-devil Come for the hot summers, stay because I can't drive to save my life.

And hell, my mom's not even aware of my Utena fangirliness. *keeps nailing nails into her own coffin* emot-gonk

"Whatever all this is, it needs to not be a thing at all."

Being a ghosty piece of shit with no standards since 2014 (maybe earlier).

#44 | Back to Top11-22-2011 12:09:27 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Haha, I WILL NEED PICTURES AND UPDATES APLENTLY YOU GUYS because I won't be able to attend.  Best case scenario I get admitted into grad school and can afford it and can get my undergraduate degrees completed in time, worst case scenario I don't get accepted and will be out job hunting for something that isn't fast-food before my loans are due to be repaid.  It's just a money thing.  I average around 580 dollars a month in bills and make 7.55 an hour.  It's not even possible to save up the money for this kind of thing, no matter the time in advance, and if I could, then honestly the money would have to go to something else, like paying off my car or one of my private loans.  :C  My new laptop/child is the last considerably expensive thing I'm getting for myself for the next couple of years. 

But I'm gluten intolerant and impossible to wake before 11am so I'd be more annoying than anything.  emot-wink

I WANT PICTURES OF ALL OF TEH FOODS AND TEH PEOPLE.

#45 | Back to Top11-22-2011 01:51:01 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Wow, guys!  We already have ten pretty firm yeses (that's Ashnod, Chrome Homura, Gio, Hiraku, lex, Riri-kins, satyreyes, Stormy, Syora, and Yasha), and fifteen more in the "probably/maybe/hopefully/it depends" column (that's Aine Silveria, bella, BioKraze, BlackRoseVixen, CausalityStar, Clarice, Dallbun, Dognog, mercurynin, MissMocha, Mylene, Paradox, purplepolecat, Saito Hoshikawa, and SleepDebtFairy) -- along with assorted SOs and parents.  This is tremendously exciting.  I hope all of you can make it, as well as everyone reading this thread who hasn't posted yet!  emot-biggrin

For ease of reference, here's what some people have said about dates.
1st weekend (08/03-08/05): Problematic for Dallbun and Riri
2nd weekend (08/10-08/12): Problematic for MissMocha; inconvenient for Dallbun
3rd weekend (08/17-08/19): Problematic for Aine Silveria, CausalityStar, and MissMocha

Anyone else want to weigh in on when to do this thing?  Are there weekends you can't make it?  Weekends when you could definitely make it?  I don't think there's a particular rush, but the more information we have, the sooner we'll be able to book the absolute shit out of that suite.  emot-dance

Last edited by satyreyes (11-22-2011 05:12:51 PM)

#46 | Back to Top11-22-2011 10:55:40 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

It seems to me that it's better to inconvenience a couple people than cause problems for them (or more.) So I would think the second week is the most encouraging.

And while we do have some time, the farther ahead we book the hotel the better, and Yasha needs to book her vacation pretty early.

#47 | Back to Top11-22-2011 11:17:50 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

It seems to me that it's better to inconvenience a couple people than cause problems for them (or more.) So I would think the second week is the most encouraging.

I tend to agree.  Is there anyone who wants to come and is able to come, but not on the weekend of the 10th to 12th?

#48 | Back to Top11-22-2011 12:37:46 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

I don't see a problem with that weekend. I'll find out soon.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#49 | Back to Top11-22-2011 01:00:27 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Syora wrote:

bella wrote:

YOU. MUST.

... not that I'm biased or anything.

No, you're not biased at all. etc-love

I'm going to save up as much money as I can and just assume that I'll be super-awesome mentally by summer and work from there...

because missing RoseCon for a third time will be detrimental to my physical and mental well-being. Seriously. emot-mad

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#50 | Back to Top11-22-2011 02:17:10 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I know in a past RoseCon thread someone posted a 'here's how to do this town on the cheap' and I cannot find it, because I was hoping to try to apply it to the current situation and city. I want to go, so very much, but money is tight and rather sucks, you know? I want to do fun stuff with you guys. So, anyone know where that post is, or can make up a quick one Seattle specific to ease my anxieties?

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

Board footer