This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-05-2007 10:31:21 AM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

Advice..

Okay, the following story contains alot of manipulation and unhappiness... sorry it's such a long post!

Now that I've warned you, I'll continue.

When I was in highschool, I dated a girl for about two and a half years.
Before we got really close, I convinced her of a world that didn't exsist, of these alternate personalities that exsisted within other people to try to make her feel better about her horrid world, and her horrid home life.  At first, I honestly just wanted to help her, and it seemed pretty plausable to me that everyone has alternate personalities inside of themselves.  (Note:  I was 13 when this all started.)
Unfortunately, it got out of hand, I started to believe my own story too much, and she fell in love with one of my 'personalities', and got closer and closer to me.  We ended up dating, while having two guys on the side that would cover up our relationship. 
When I told the one of them later, they were so surprized!
After a bit of time, she became very jellous of me.  She began to become obsessed with competing against me....
She wrote poetry,
I won a poetry contest.
She liked to draw,
I got a congressional award for a painting.
Ect, things like that happened, so, she eventually wanted to break me; she became horrible, to the point of almost raping me.  (If you can't figure out how a girl can rape a girl, use your imagination a bit more....)
Still, dispite all of these things, she was my prince, she was my Utena, I cared about her, I fell in love with her dispite myself.  I liked her strange strength and weird way of looking at the world.  Utterly facinating to me.
I just wanted her apology, I just wanted her reafrimation that I was okay, but, I never truely got it.
I changed schools, got a new bunch of friends, eventually got a boyfriend who she was also insanely jellous of.  Jellousy makes this girls life.
She changed, became a demure princess from this amazingly strong prince, and I couldn't look at her the same way anymore.
I wonder if it's my fault she became this demure person.
I still think of her.  I've always thought of her.

After three years I randomly found an apology letter she wrote to me on a forum we used to go to.  She had no intention of me finding it, but I did.
She asked for forgiveness.  Should I give it to her?  It's in the past... she's beceome so gentle... but I don't know.  I'm still hurting at the same time.

I think I'm still in love with her.

Last edited by Iris (01-05-2007 10:52:49 AM)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#2 | Back to Top01-05-2007 02:47:33 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Re: Advice..

She's not in your life anymore, right? Before, your anger served a purpose...keeping a dangerously jealous person away from you. But she's gone away now, and turned into someone less defiant, right? So your anger, or bitterness won't help you in this situation at all. If you stay mad, or upset... your friend could be out there having a good time. The only one you hurt by holding onto being upset is yourself. I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with someone you might love, but I'd say you should forgive her. Then, if this person possible reenters your life, you can start new. Forgetting the grudge you had because she changed from someone you respected into someone you couldn't. It is the worst feeling when you see someone you thought so much of, have no respect for themselves... it's irritating you want to slap the sense into them, but you cannot. You just have to watch life either make them stronger, or take the fight out of them, make them conform. Her jealousy was her responsibility, but her changing, that's something that life does. It was not your fault. Her being jealous of your accomplishments, doesn't sound like a friend who truly wanted what was best for you. A real friend wants you to succeed. So it might be best that this girl was removed from your life. In the future, I'd caution you to stay away from people who trample your goals to try and further themselves, or consider your success to be a threat to their own. But in the end, if you can forgive her mistakes, you will feel free of the past, and it hopefully won't bog you down.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#3 | Back to Top01-05-2007 03:51:45 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

What have you to lose by offering her forgiveness? If you choose to extend that kindness to her it might heal some of the pain that you are harboring and you would in a sense "wash your hands" of the situation.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#4 | Back to Top01-05-2007 04:32:50 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

The thing is, I really do have alot to loose by offering her forgiveness.
I know the way she is, and if I talk to her again, truely forgive her, she'll just start... being her again.  At the same time, who am I to deny her freedom from herself?  Who am I to deny her a way out from her past?
I've given her so many chances in the past, and she's always taken them and used them against me, taking one thing or another... but... there's always the chance that she's changed. 
Or... she's just become a monstrosity of herself, none of the strength of before, but still the underhanded manipulation and bully-ing.   I think I'm strong enough to take her if she is, but I can never be sure.
I feel no anger twords her, that'd keep me safe, I only feel regret and longing for her to tell me all the cruel things she said were lies.
That's not a good state to talk to someone.

Thank you for your advice, I think I'm going to forgive her, dispite these things.  Maybe it'll heal, but... somehow I'm dubious it will bring anything but pain.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#5 | Back to Top01-05-2007 04:43:04 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

awwwwww...:hugs: the fact that you are willing to give her forgiveness despite the pain that you think will come of it, is pretty admirable. So at least you got that going for you. And maybe I sound naive ( and stupid) but I think you'll be better for allowing yourself to forgive her. I really do wish you the best.etc-love

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#6 | Back to Top01-05-2007 05:16:58 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

While I've been spared of such difficult situations like yours, I've witnessed some second hand. There is a great difference in forgiveness and pretending everything is like before. While I agree that it pays to at least try forgiveness, it's important to make a point of not wanting to get back to relationship with her. My suggestion is to forgive, but not forget. It will propably take awhile before you can decide whether you still want to be her friend, even if you've forgiven her past wrongs and, as I believe you well know, much longer for anything else, if either one of you still has some hopes - that, incidentally is good to check with her, as well.

Just my 2 eurocents...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#7 | Back to Top01-05-2007 06:28:37 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

From the point of view of someone who's made a hobby out of incorporating crazed women into her life:

Have you thought of just... easing yourself back in? I mean you don't have to forgive her entirely until you're sure she deserves it, but nothing should stop you from enjoying the company of someone you used to be so close to. You don't have to thrust yourself entirely into your life. It may be better off for both of you if you stuck to maybe seeing her for lunch once every month or two.

She doesn't have to be your girlfriend or your best friend or anything, but if you want to talk to her again then go ahead. If you don't then you already have your answer.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#8 | Back to Top01-06-2007 12:01:43 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Forgiving doesn't mean forgetting and it doesn't mean pretending that things were the way they were before. If she's not a part of your life now, she doesn't have to become a part of it again. There's really no way to know how she feels now unless you ask her, but if having resentment against her is hurting you, then by all means let it go - perhaps it's best if nothing changes between you, perhaps not. But forgiving her will help you, if nothing else. Even if you don't speak to her after telling her.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

Board footer