This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#2126 | Back to Top10-22-2015 12:27:30 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: Current Anime

The Miyu OAV is so good. So much love!

And, just seeing Robotech here makes me kind of want to break out the DVDs and go to it.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#2127 | Back to Top10-22-2015 03:03:18 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/nipples_zpsohrwsabf.jpg~original

HE HAS NIPPLES
AND THEY SPARKLE

Sorry Akio but you have lost the game, set and match. :'(

Watching Kill la Kill. I wanted an anime I could watch casually without getting too emotionally caught up because turning in papers late due to being emotionally fucked up by a work of fiction is lame.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#2128 | Back to Top10-24-2015 08:49:45 PM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

(( Hey YamPuff,

Aikuro Mikisugi also has other... parts that glow later in the series as well.  In fact... after a while, the poor guy seems to have a horrible time with clothes just sliding off him. ))

#2129 | Back to Top10-25-2015 11:38:23 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

CarolineWellwater wrote:

(( Hey YamPuff,

Aikuro Mikisugi also has other... parts that glow later in the series as well.  In fact... after a while, the poor guy seems to have a horrible time with clothes just sliding off him. ))

Ooh more sparkly bits? I'm in this for the long haul in that case 8)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#2130 | Back to Top11-25-2015 11:26:41 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Finished Kill la Kill. It was funny and pretty cool, I liked it. I ship Gamagori x Mako school-devil

I'm now starting Nabari no Ou. It's alright, nothing special so far. The funny thing is that they only unbelievably escapist and magical thing these characters seem capable of is being able to hold full time jobs while also being ninjas on the side. Like what the hell man. How to do.

#2131 | Back to Top11-30-2015 06:35:27 PM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

(( Hey all,

Has anyone watched the "Flowers of Evil" anime? ))

#2132 | Back to Top12-01-2015 12:34:43 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

CarolineWellwater wrote:

(( Hey all,

Has anyone watched the "Flowers of Evil" anime? ))

I really enjoyed this notoriously divisive anime. I can understand why many people were put off by the uncanny-valley rotoscoped art style and the sadistically slow pacing, but I think both of those choices contributed to the stifling atmosphere that makes the anime so effective. It does a great job of putting us in the shoes of the tortured, angst-filled protagonist, while also showing us that his angst is mostly just teen bullshit. (Seriously, Shinji Ikari would have slapped the shit out of Takao.)

I also read the manga because I was unsatisfied with the anime's ending, and that gets a lot darker after the material that's covered in the anime, before changing gear again and getting LESS interesting. The very last chapter is worth looking at: it's the first chapter, but from Sawa's perspective. Poor girl.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#2133 | Back to Top12-04-2015 08:26:38 PM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

(( Hey purplepolecat,

I'm not sure if I enjoyed it or not.  I picked it up, basically at random, as the cover art really caught my attention.  I've only watched it once, and I want to watch it again.

The biggest thing I remember about it was how... suffocating it felt watching the show, and that the slow pacing seemed very psychosis inducing.

Oh... and the evolving-ending credits / music.  I also remember that. ))

#2134 | Back to Top12-07-2015 08:35:20 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Recently started watching an anime called Karneval that I bought on a whim. school-sherlock I'd never heard of it before, except from one other friend of mine, who seemed to enjoy it very much after watching it on Hulu. I gotta admit, I'm enjoying it very much myself. It's not often you find a 'fantasy/supernatural/sci-fi' anime that can juggle all those different genres at the same time and make them flow evenly, but I think Karneval does a great job at that. The colors and art style are extremely attractive, too, the cast is littered with characters you can easily get attached to. I highly recommend it!

I honestly don't know very many people who watch One Piece, but it's one of my favorite animes. It gets a bad rap for it's cartoony art style and the fact that it probably won't end for another ten years. Trust me, it isn't anywhere near perfect, but the sheer depth of the story and its characters is what keeps me coming back. emot-dance

Sadly, the Toriko anime was canceled, but I really believe it had great potential. For someone like me, who loves, loves, loooooves food 'and' action/adventure anime, Toriko was a gem. Seriously, it's like Dragon Ball Z meets Food Network. It also had some of the most 'manly' bishonen characters I've seen in a while. emot-biggrin

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#2135 | Back to Top12-11-2015 02:39:42 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Finished watching Nabari no Ou. It was...okay I guess. It was really frustrating for me to watch because I thought it could have been really amazing but was just fairly average. A lot of it didn't make sense either, lot of plot holes that don't quite add up.

[If Kouichi is an immortal, why does he appear like a small child in the flashback where everyone regains their memories?
Why does Miharu's mom make him and everyone else forgot what happened that day? What difference did it make whether they remembered or forgot, why was the teacher dude so keen not to let anyone know and who really cares anyway? Didn't it put Miharu in more danger, being ignorant?
Everyone is after the superpower Miharu has but suddenly stops going after him because he claims he has 'sealed it away'. Really? They're just gonna take his word for it? Why don't they just kill him so it will be released to someone else? The problems has not been solved.
For someone born and raised as a samurai, the blond pigtail girl sucks. All she does the entire anime is fail and lose.
I still don't get Yoite. His parents hated him? That's it?
Raiko really thought it would be better for his sister to believe a pack of lies and hate him, spend her life planning revenge on him then just explaining what happened and leaving her as like a six year old around a bunch of dead bodies?
Gau shouts 'Raiko-san!' exactly one time and then it totally okay with Raiko's death?
Kouichi gets no closure, just he's immortal and okay with it now?
Yoite turns into glittery stars wtf if this bullshit.
What was the anime trying to say? Humans shouldn't have limitless power? Secrets are dangerous? Human existence is precious? Love is important?
I thought it was going to end with Miharu wishing he had never existed/ the shinrabanshou had never existed, in a Magica Madoka kind of paradoxical twist, changing history in the series as we know it.
Why don't more anime characters ride in Mini Coopers? Yukimi is freaking cool.
Why does the shinrabanshou white fairy lady care whether Miharu uses the power or not?
Are ninjas magical people or not? Can anyone become a ninja? How do they hold full time jobs and be ninjas at the same time? What does being a ninja entail? What do they get out of it? Why do they do it in the first place? Like, besides living in mist covered villages, like exactly what are they and their purpose in life?
Why does everyone freeze in terror when Yukimi wields a gun? Why don't they all use guns?
Why does Raiko's hair turn pink when he becomes evil?
]

I enjoyed watching the series just for Raiko x Gau and Yukimi x his mini cooper.

I am tempted to watch either Trigun or Berserk next.

#2136 | Back to Top12-11-2015 04:10:19 PM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Save the best for last. Watch Trigun first.

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#2137 | Back to Top12-12-2015 04:50:05 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

I agree with that. Trigun first. I believe it's a series you will enjoy. school-eng101

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#2138 | Back to Top12-24-2015 09:34:39 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I just binge-watched One Punch Man

I have not so thoroughly enjoyed an anime so goddamn much in a long time. It it really, really good, really funny and, somehow more importantly, has such a nice heart-warming moral to it. Everyone should watch it.

BunB wrote:

Save the best for last. Watch Trigun first.

I think I will. I'm kind of on a shonen run at the moment. XD

#2139 | Back to Top12-24-2015 10:44:17 AM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

YamPuff wrote:

I have not so thoroughly enjoyed an anime so goddamn much in a long time. It it really, really good, really funny and, somehow more importantly, has such a nice heart-warming moral to it. Everyone should watch it.

Not to mention the sick animation. OPM is by far the best anime of the year, and I can't wait to see more.

I also enjoyed Noragami, which is probably the best show from the genre of "Ordinary High School Girl becomes friends with a minor deity".

#2140 | Back to Top12-24-2015 01:20:07 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

purplepolecat wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

Not to mention the sick animation. OPM is by far the best anime of the year, and I can't wait to see more.

Oh my God the animation.
I love how it gets messier and sketchier the more the action heats up.

It's almost hard to believe it exists, that\s how good it is D:

#2141 | Back to Top12-25-2015 08:10:41 AM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

(( Hey all,

I... never really thought Trigun was all that good.  It wasn't bad.  Just... not good.  Maybe a C // C+ grade.

Anyway, right now, I've been going back and rewatching some of my older stuff.

So, I just finished Martian Successor Nadesico, and Devil Hunter Yohko.

I also caught a couple of episodes of Demonbane on crunchyroll.  I enjoyed the eroge game a ton, so I thought I'd see how it was made into an anime.  Long-story-short, the anime is alright... but you miss a ton of the story from the game.  ))

#2142 | Back to Top12-31-2015 09:23:36 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Watching Trigun, till episode 8 so far. It's...good. Not very visually interesting, animation-wise and I don't find myself dying to watch the next episode like I normally do when I get into a shonen. (Shonen anime is basically potato chips.) But I'm definitely going to keep watching.

What really caught my interest and completely derailed me from Trigun is Lupin III: A Woman Named Fujiko Mine. I have a major lady boner for Fujiko (is there someone who doesn't?) and the excessive nudity is actually really enjoyable and somewhat artful...like, it's not panty shots and breasts bouncing around like tennis balls. The way they draw her nipples like ermagerd. etc-jurishlick

And also this beautiful hysterical child in need of so much help
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/oscar_zpstikwlznt.jpg~original
Look at his precious face. emot-mad

#2143 | Back to Top01-01-2016 07:53:25 PM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

(( Hey YamPuff,

Okay, so I just finished marathon-ing through Kill La Kill, and... I'm not sure if Mako made it.  As weird as this is going to sound.  I... don't think Mako is Mako.  I think it might be[       Nui        ]wearing Mako.

But still, I think that would be an awesome pairing.

Hey All,

Anyway, Kill La Kill had a few scenes that suprized me in how much they affected me.  So... here they a pair, all whited-out for spoilers.

Scene 1: [Episode 18... when Ragyo is disciplining her daughter, for a brief second Satsuki brings her hand up... not in defense or to block her mother's attacks, but... more in a pleading, childish way to beg her mother to stop.  So... even after all these years, Satsuki is still terrified of her mother.]

Scene 2: [Episode 20... Ryoko crying as she wears Junketsu.  To me, the really upsetting part of this is that I think Ryoko realizes she's trapped in the Lotus Machine, and... isn't sure if she can bring herself out again.  She so desperately wants what the Lotus Machine is feeding her, but... she also knows its all fake.  So... her crying isn't from raptured ecstasy, but from knowing that the life she "remembers" is fake, but she wants it all the same]

Also, as a weird tangent, so I was wondering in Kill La Kill why the Folk Dance Troupe dressed up like Greys, and I kept thinking to myself, "I've seen that somewhere before...", and then I remembered it.  It's alluded to in To Heart!  So I re-watched To Heart on New Years.  Felt it was appropriate.  Though, I could have sworn at one point Shiho gives Hiroyuki a Christmas gift... maybe that was "Remember the Memories".  Shoot, I can't remember... which... is also weirdly apropos.

emot-smile

EDIT: Fixed some English errors. END EDIT ))

Last edited by CarolineWellwater (01-02-2016 01:25:24 PM)

#2144 | Back to Top01-02-2016 10:22:30 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

That is one majorly upsetting yet somehow fitting theory about Mako.. O_O

So I'm checking out Berserk.
And damn. That's a lot of gay. I mean, I expected some subtext or a bit of foe-yay but MAN. In the space of a couple of episodes, they've gazed deeply into each others eyes, had a water fight in the nude and the one female soldier is madly jealous of how Griffith treats Guts. school-devil

EDIT: My burning question; why does Griffith's hair get curlier as he gets older? See I thought it was some change of artist or something...the animation is obviously on a tight budget and characters are often off-model. But suddenly I'm seeing Casca's flashback and there Griffith is with flowy Utena hair again. Weird.

Last edited by YamPuff (01-04-2016 02:01:55 PM)

#2145 | Back to Top02-09-2016 03:57:37 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

We just finished season one of No Game, No Life.  It's refreshing to see a NEET hero in a comedic anime...but is the incestuous subtext absolutely necessary? Anyway, I ship Sora/Steph already.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#2146 | Back to Top03-04-2016 01:07:25 AM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

It's a few years old now, but I've been marathoning Space Brothers the last few weeks. I'd been up to date on the manga since about a year ago and a recent documentary reminded me of some of the earlier chapters. For those not familiar with it, it's about two brothers who, as children, made a promise to become astronauts. The younger brother Hibito continued and eventually became the soon-to-be first Japanese person to walk on the moon. Meanwhile, the elder brother, Mutta, wound up designing cars for an auto maker until he headbutted his boss for insulting Hibito and got himself fired and blackballed from the industry. It's at this point that his family conspires to covertly send an application to JAXA on his behalf and change his life forever.

It follows the brothers through their lives both on Earth and in space. Along the way to their goal, they meet a load of quirky characters (and more than a few celebrity cameos) and become close friends with them. It's awe-inspiring, heartwarming, and fun. And Mutta's awkwardness and insecurity make him a precious gem, enriching the whole world just by existing. I'd happily recommend Space Brothers to anybody.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#2147 | Back to Top03-04-2016 11:10:14 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

YamPuff wrote:

That is one majorly upsetting yet somehow fitting theory about Mako.. O_O

So I'm checking out Berserk.
And damn. That's a lot of gay. I mean, I expected some subtext or a bit of foe-yay but MAN. In the space of a couple of episodes, they've gazed deeply into each others eyes, had a water fight in the nude and the one female soldier is madly jealous of how Griffith treats Guts. school-devil

EDIT: My burning question; why does Griffith's hair get curlier as he gets older? See I thought it was some change of artist or something...the animation is obviously on a tight budget and characters are often off-model. But suddenly I'm seeing Casca's flashback and there Griffith is with flowy Utena hair again. Weird.

Berserk's levels of gayness are very, very high indeed. I wonder how the new anime will fare.
As for Griffith's hair, it gets even prettier in the manga [once he becomes Femto. It's not just the hair, Griffith himself goes from already absurdly beautiful to perfectly so. There is that famous panel in the manga with naked Femto and it really is something else. At that point I am not even sure if we can consider Femto to still be Griffith, the details are a bit foggy in my mind as it's been a while, but the transformation is quite impressive.]

And speaking of gay, I picked up HaruChika mostly because it actually has a canonically gay character as one of the mains, the eponymoys Haruta. Four episodes into it and I have to say it is a mix of Hibike, with the brass instrument club, and Hyouka with the mystery angle. A rather unusual combination that I am not too sure works out all that well, to be honest. Thus far it has followed a formula in which some prospective member of the band has given up music because of some serious issue that will then be mostly resolved given Haru's amazing powers of smart nakama-gathering.
Which brings me to Haru himself. For once, the gay character is not played for laughs for which I am intensely happy. His crush on the music teacher is seen on the same level with Chika's, the female lead. He is the very intelligent, intuitive bishie type whose ability to solve other people's problems is not all that unusual in anime main character but is still highly unrealistic. Issues that would require therapy are smoothed in one neat Haruta led intervention. Yet every now and then he will say something that actually has some depth to it. [The way he snaps Glasses Girl out of her grief by telling her that being in deep mourning for a year means more to teenagers as opposed to grownups because a year has a greater significance for the young, for example. While the whole thing was a bit too contrived, that particular line struck me as surprisingly insightful.]
Since Haru does everything, Chika ends up doing precious little. It does not help that she comes across as homophobic even if her reaction is to be expected. It's hardly the vicious kind of homophobia but it's still there and does little to make her a more interesting character. Then again she has plenty of room to grow.

At times it feels as if the light novel author, as it seems the anime is very faithtful to its source material, in an effort to avoid the very pervasive tropes of the 'evil gays' went into the other direction and constructed a character that is almost flawless. Haruta is not entirely Marty Sue material but he does veer dangerously close to it at least once per episode. I expect that if they ever run into a riddle involving, say, quantum mechanics, we will find out that Haruta is an expert at it. Apart from his tendency to be a bit gauche and all too ready to accept food and eat at others' expense, Haruta is just super amazing. I expect that future episodes will develop his character, hopefully. 

As for both Haru and Chika's infantuation with their teacher, it strikes me as a bit random. Certaintly Chika who fell in love with him within a couple of minutes. Haru at least has known for a while even if it comes across as a tad on the stalkish side on occasion.

It is still too early to make a fair assessment of this one as it may still become good. Thus far it remains average even if I applaud the decision of having a gay lead.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (03-04-2016 12:15:35 PM)

#2148 | Back to Top03-04-2016 01:59:11 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

The new Berserk anime is an interesting prospect to me since the original anime is short and low on budget. However, as is always the case with remakes, who knows if they will do the series justice?

#2149 | Back to Top03-04-2016 02:56:41 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

I highly recommend this season's Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, especially for people who like subtly conveyed emotions and teh gay. It's a period piece about performers of an obscure form of Japanese theatre called Rakugo, in which one man (always a man) performs a whole play from a seated position. It's exquisitely directed and very compelling, despite the seemingly dry subject matter.

Also loving KonoSuba (fantasy/comedy), Erased (drama/mystery), Sekko Boys (surrealist short comedy), Yamishibai (short horror), Lupin III part 4 (crime/comedy).

EDIT: Agree with YamPuff on Lupin III: A Woman Named Fujiko Mine. Amazing on an artistic and character development level, especially re: the agency of female characters in noir fiction. The current season of Lupin III is similarly high quality, but without all the sex and psychedelia.

Last edited by purplepolecat (03-04-2016 03:10:20 PM)

#2150 | Back to Top03-04-2016 04:20:21 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

YamPuff wrote:

The new Berserk anime is an interesting prospect to me since the original anime is short and low on budget. However, as is always the case with remakes, who knows if they will do the series justice?

Any and all Berserk anime run into the same problem, in that the manga is still on-going so they must be partial adapatations. That is why the movies, while interesting, do little more than re-tread the exact same material that the original anime already covered...with some dreadful CGI, too.
It would make more sense to wait until the manga is over to then do a full adaptation if they are so keen on having more Berserk anime.

From this season I need to get into Boku Dake ga Inai Machi as by all accounts it is very good.

I am also watching Prince of Stride. After much pinining for a running anime, it is finally here. I only watched the first two episodes and quite liked it. The main is Haru from Free's expy in many,many ways but the anime has its own particular atmosphere, is a lot of fun and has some seiyuu I really like,

Board footer