This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top03-04-2012 03:01:42 AM

Solstace
New Student
Website

Re: Little things you realized after watching this show too damn much

Something that amused me:  In episode 32, when Nanami is talking to Miki in the music room, I'm pretty sure that Miki is "playing" John Cage's 4'33".  The music is all rests, and Miki doesn't play a thing during the entire scene.  He does use his stopwatch, but that's something that performers frequently do to make sure they hit 4 minutes 33 seconds exactly, and the way he sat at the piano before the stopwatch (straight back, hands resting on thighs) is characteristic of a pianist waiting out a tacet. 

Pretty unrelated to the rest of the show, but it made me chuckle a bit >.>

#27 | Back to Top03-04-2012 12:13:57 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

These puns in anime always have like 1 syllable manipulated so that they aren't too cringe-inducing.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (03-04-2012 12:14:14 PM)

#28 | Back to Top03-28-2012 08:41:37 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Anthy says "sorry, I closed my eyes" after she took a picture with Utena and Akio. Presumably they retook the picture and that's the one we see at the very end (with Anthy and Utena holding hands.) They weren't holding hands in the one we saw on screen, Utena had her arms behind her back.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (03-28-2012 08:42:01 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#29 | Back to Top06-06-2012 07:05:19 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

You know you watch the show too damn much when you notice:

The random green-haired girl that's mocking Wakaba at the very beginning...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/Series_ep01_003.jpg

...is her new best friend at the very end.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/Series_ep39_292.jpg

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#30 | Back to Top06-06-2012 07:40:07 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

...is her new best friend at the very end.

emot-aaa
Gooooooooood Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if only I can find actual proof to support my personal canon that Mrs. Ohtori is the red convertible with the "Ohtori" plate that Akio had been sexually riding for all those final episodes, then my fan-gasm can be complete emot-dance

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#31 | Back to Top07-03-2012 03:24:40 PM

Honey Bear
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Episode 34, when Akio is taking the picture of him, Utena and Anthy. I just noticed he's about to put his hand on Utena's shoulder when Anthy stops him because Chu-chu gets in front of the camera, and then when she gets back into position she puts herself in between Utena and Akio. emot-rofl

#32 | Back to Top07-03-2012 04:08:47 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Oh, Honey Bear, I remember that too; it happened around the Akio/Anthy power struggle time period right before the Revolution.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#33 | Back to Top07-04-2012 02:31:20 PM

Honey Bear
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Haha, I only just noticed-- and after watching the show for like the bazillionth time! emot-tongue

Makes me wonder though; is Anthy trying to protect Utena? Or is she being posessive over Akio? *thinks*

Last edited by Honey Bear (07-04-2012 03:21:17 PM)

#34 | Back to Top07-04-2012 03:11:58 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Makes me wonder though; is Anthy trying to protect Utena? Or is she being posessive over Ako?

By Anthy's actions in the next couple eps, where she begged Utena to leave post suicide attempt, and her betrayal of Utena at the Duel, I think it is BOTH.

#35 | Back to Top07-15-2012 08:53:46 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

I finally looked through the whole thread, and there's some interesting observations here. I haven't really noticed a lot that I've not seen mentioned on these forums. One thing I thought was kinda neat though... Might be kind of obvious so bear with me. >_>

The scene where Anthy falls away from Utena at the end is still pretty sad, but the nice clouds she falls towards gives a more hopeful impression than if she had fallen into darkness (which it seems like where Utena is hanging).
http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/16994-1/Series_ep39_248.jpg
http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/16998-1/Series_ep39_250.jpg
(Just using the pics from the gallery because I'm lazy.)

Also, SKU has some nice hands. etc-wankdude

#36 | Back to Top09-05-2012 03:24:17 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

satyreyes wrote:

The word you're hearing is "otori," with a short O.  To Japanese ears, that's going to sound rather different from "ohtori," with a long O.  English doesn't really have a vowel length distinction, so any comparison is ill-fated, but you might compare it to the difference between words like "era" and "error" in American English -- they sound similar, but anyone who's paying attention can hear the difference.

Still, they do sound similar, and the "otori" meaning is obviously pretty awesome, so hey, if you like it, run with it!  emot-smile

Saitou, Enokido, and Ikuhara are fond of puns, though (and at least two of them are guilty of really stretching to get a pun). It seems unlikely that one that big would sneak by without them jumping on it, even if it weren't planned afore.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#37 | Back to Top09-23-2012 09:08:30 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Giovanna wrote:

It's a story people like, and probably a better way to say he's important than for Akio's last name to be 'Christ'. emot-gonk

You don't mess with the Jesus.

Does anybody have the title and author for the aforementioned paper on kamikakushi?

#38 | Back to Top01-10-2013 03:46:55 AM

Katzenklavier

The significance of Utena's outfit on her second date with Akio.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/Series_ep37_057_zpscf56687e.jpg

This is quite unusual for Utena. It's far more feminine and modern than her typical tomboyish and ritualistically traditional get-ups. And yet, it's not the girlish princess gown that Touga attempted to dress her up in. She wears it in one of the series' most ambiguous moments (in my eyes, anyway). Utena may have given her virginity to Akio before, but she lost her true innocence to Anthy's betrayal (at least the most obvious symbol thereof at the point). Rather oddly, her immediate reaction is to ask Akio out on another date. As noted before, the dress is new, but there is something familiar about the red, short skirt, and plunging neckline.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/Series_ep34_172_zps962d094a.jpg

This time around, the usually preyed-upon Utena's lack of doe-eyed naivete disconcerts Akio. Indeed, he notes her outfit directly, and there is something in the parallel that disturbs him.

Utena:  That was fun. Thanks for today.
Akio:  You really aren't wearing your ring, are you?
Akio:  Why?
Utena:  I was thinking it maybe didn't suit me.
Akio:  Your clothing suits you quite well.
Akio:  Shall I give you a ring that suits your clothing better? (I can't help but to think of Anthy's gold bracelet, quite clearly symbolizing a chain.)
(Here he advances upon her, but is rejected.)
Utena:  I wonder if Himemiya's asleep already.
Akio:  Tonight, you...
Utena:  What is it?
Akio:  Tonight, you somehow seem very feminine.
Utena:  Well, I am a girl.

Thrown off course, he divulges probably the most honest thing he said to her in the show. That, in reality, he doesn't care for the stars at all. They are only balls of gas that people project their fantasies on. Their only power is the sway they hold upon others. It's in this moment that we see an interaction between reflects the rare moments of authenticity he displays with Anthy. He's hurt, and attempting to hurt her the best way he knows how: stomping on every deceptive moment that Utena had previously treasured. Which is foolish, as his endgame requires her willingness to play along with his princely fantasy. In other words, he's frustrated, making a mistake, and pissed.

Her outfit here represents a turning point: the little girl victim is growing up, and just like the passive-aggressively infuriating Anthy, she might be beyond his control. She might be able to fight back. Finally, she can exert sexual control over him, extending a perceived invitation and then ignoring his charms. In his view, her dress might as well be the Rose Bride's, and her behavior troubles him. After all, in his previous confidence, he might never have thought to plot a back-up plan with Anthy. But I am fully convinced this is the moment where he figured, "Oh shit. Time to get Sis to shiv a bitch."

But while her outfit mirrors Anthy's in some ways, it is distinctly her own. True, the style is feminine, but the red-and-black color scheme is her signature.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/Series_ep01_027_zps7e84562b.jpg

This outfit is not a deviation from Utena's personality. It's an evolution. And while Anthy and Akio both think they have her pegged at this point, it quickly becomes clear that much of their view is presumption.

God, I gotta stop re-watching.

Last edited by Katzenklavier (01-10-2013 03:47:44 AM)

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#39 | Back to Top01-10-2013 05:57:28 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Katzenklavier wrote:

God, I gotta stop re-watching.

Oh, please don't. You always have such great insights emot-smile

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#40 | Back to Top01-10-2013 06:04:57 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

I agree. That's pretty interesting. I'm never quite sure what to read into Akio's actions/words (besides "manipulating") so it's helpful to see how other people analyze them.

Huh, for some reason I thought the other dress she wore with Akio had blue stripes, but it seems it's still red.
http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/14058-1/Series_ep33_151.jpg

No idea if that has much significance though. emot-tongue

#41 | Back to Top01-10-2013 05:21:50 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Touga's speech to Utena in the elevator is a Rose of Versailles reference.

#42 | Back to Top01-13-2013 08:51:08 PM

Katzenklavier

Yasha wrote:

Oh, please don't. You always have such great insights

Thank you! I'm seriously honored to contribute any new tidbits to such a well-developed base of analysis and information. Which, of course, indicates the mental power of the collective fanbase.

Lurv wrote:

Huh, for some reason I thought the other dress she wore with Akio had blue stripes, but it seems it's still red...No idea if that has much significance though. emot-tongue

I think that it absolutely does. Her dress is mostly white, and throughout the episode, it becomes her symbolic color. This is very unusual. Though her dueling rose is also white (and I have to wonder if she had any say in the matter), she is seldom ever seen wearing it. Instead, the signature she obviously prefers is black. The fact that she is wearing here, then, indicates its importance.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/Series_ep33_079_zpsad09d5af.jpg

This is the one episode where the viewer is literally put into Akio's head, seeing Utena from his POV. Thus, her appearance as much a reflection of how he sees her and their relationship as her own wardrobe choice. Her dress is skimpier and more feminine than her usual fare. However, it's quite appropriate for a summer day at the circus, innocent enough. But just as the white is broken by red streaks, their connection had everything to with wholesome appearances barely concealing darker intentions.

Of course Akio sees her in the color of purity. Just as his version of Anthy is always a looming dark witch, both cold and sensual, Utena is similarly rendered as an inhuman beauty. But she's the opposite archetype: the blushing virgin and the hapless victim of his corruption. The sex scene is entirely him looking down at her, watching, interspersed with him relishing in his own eval.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/Series_ep33_127_zpsdc49ca37.jpg

"Fuck you, boundaries! No one says I don't go there! I go there, bang its mother, and leave her juice stains all over its couch! Fuck, I'm awesome!"

Let us not forget. During the first date, she was a victim of Akio's scheming. In the second, she's the initiator and calling the shots. :cool:

Though the outfit for each date is similar in that they are both "girly", each indicates a different power dynamic. The first is Utena dressing, acting, and behaving very much how Akio wishes her to. The second shows her growth, agency, and the evolution of her character. Her innocence is ruptured and she is now neither unsullied prince or ingenue. Instead, she is maturing into a woman, sadder but wiser and stronger than ever. As said before, the outfit she chooses is new but very much her style.

#43 | Back to Top02-12-2013 07:43:32 PM

Pinchi
Miki Molester

I knew I watched too much SKU when I noticed that in episode 3, just after Utena wakes up and Anthy enters the room, the image goes to a bouquet of flowers in the dorm:

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Student_Council_Arc/03/Series_ep03_005.jpg?m=1380825815

I just notice that most of those flowers are red, pink and yellow (could they represent Touga, Utena and Nanami, the principal characters in this episode?). Also, there are two tiny, white rosebuds. We know that white roses represent the prince. Could these roses represent Utena (someone who wants to be a prince) and Touga (someone who is mistaken for a prince in this episode) perhaps?

Ok, maybe I'm just rambling and seeing symbolism where it doesn't exists emot-biggrin

Last edited by Pinchi (02-12-2013 08:50:44 PM)

#44 | Back to Top02-12-2013 08:42:56 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Pinchi wrote:

I knew I watched to much SKU when I noticed that in episode 3, just after Utena wakes up and Anthy enters the room, the image goes to a bouquet of flowers in the room:

I just notice that most of those flowers are red, pink and yellow (could they represent Touga, Utena and Nanami, the principal characters in this episode?). Also, there are two tiny, white rosebuds. We know that white roses represent the prince. Could these roses represent Utena (someone who wants to be a prince) and Touga (someone who is mistaken for a prince) perhaps?

Ok, maybe I'm just rambling and seeing symbolism where it doesn't exists emot-biggrin

Very good eye.

When we're talking about anything to do with the roses, it's a safe bet that there's always some symbolism attached. But the way you put it... hmm. I'm beginning to wonder if there's some sort of psychoanalysis behind the personalities of each student council member? If each one represented a Freudian aspect/element that adds up to an entire person... Touga: charisma/charm/cunning, Juri: nobility/integrity, Nanami: immaturity/impetuousness, Miki: innocence/idealism, add them all together and you get one single personality.

Am I making sense, no sense, or has all of this been discussed before?

#45 | Back to Top02-13-2013 02:42:38 PM

Pinchi
Miki Molester

crystalwren wrote:

Pinchi wrote:

I knew I watched to much SKU when I noticed that in episode 3, just after Utena wakes up and Anthy enters the room, the image goes to a bouquet of flowers in the room:

I just notice that most of those flowers are red, pink and yellow (could they represent Touga, Utena and Nanami, the principal characters in this episode?). Also, there are two tiny, white rosebuds. We know that white roses represent the prince. Could these roses represent Utena (someone who wants to be a prince) and Touga (someone who is mistaken for a prince) perhaps?

Very good eye.

When we're talking about anything to do with the roses, it's a safe bet that there's always some symbolism attached. But the way you put it... hmm. I'm beginning to wonder if there's some sort of psychoanalysis behind the personalities of each student council member? If each one represented a Freudian aspect/element that adds up to an entire person... Touga: charisma/charm/cunning, Juri: nobility/integrity, Nanami: immaturity/impetuousness, Miki: innocence/idealism, add them all together and you get one single personality.

Am I making sense, no sense, or has all of this been discussed before?

Do you mean something like everyone in the show represents a flower and a real person is like the bouquet of flowers? Well, I've always thought each character represented a specific virtue/defect, so I think you have a point. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised... it's SKU after all.

I'm rewatching the series all over again and I'm trying to notice almost every detail (I think I'll end on the verge of going crazy emot-gonk). I'll probably be posting some little things about the episodes here once in a while, so please bear with me emot-tongue

I noticed something strange on episode 1. Utena never said her name when she challenged Saionji or when she dueled him. However, Anthy still called her "Utena-sama" at the end of the episode. Also, Utena wasn't a new student in Ohtori, she had at least one semester there. However, she never knew anything about Saionji, the duels, Anthy or any "special" people on the campus. The only one she recognized was the Student Council President, Touga (who was framed with white roses, signaling that at this point of the story, he could be mistaken for Utena's prince)

All of this makes me think that Utena lived in a "normal" world before and that in episode 1 she enters to this new, special world of the Student Council and the Rose Bride. Don't you think it's really strange that Saionji asked her who she was when they where dueling? Utena was really famous in the campus and had a lot of fans. He surely should noticed that

But when does this "transition" between worlds happen? When does Utena step into this special world? I think it happened when she saw Anthy in the rose garden.

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Student_Council_Arc/01/Series_ep01_027.jpg?m=1380825419

Before Utena turns her attention to the roses' fragrance, the garden cannot be seen. It's just full of light

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Student_Council_Arc/01/Series_ep01_029.jpg?m=1380825420

After that she saw the garden, perhaps signaling that she entered to the special world. Maybe Anthy was the one who helped Utena to step into it. Based on that theory, it makes sense that she knew the other girl's name after the duel.

Oh, god. I think I'm rewatching the show too much emot-gonk

EDIT: I just noticed I said a lot of things that appeared in GeekNights' review of the show, sorry emot-gonk

Last edited by Pinchi (02-18-2013 09:13:36 AM)

#46 | Back to Top02-22-2013 03:12:10 PM

Pinchi
Miki Molester

The tree that appears in the prince story...

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/17806-1/Prince_Story_025.jpg

...is exactly the same one that is seen when Anthy leaves Ohtori (in the following image the tree is slightly moved to the right, but I assure you is exactly the same one)

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/17120-1/Series_ep39_311.jpg

emot-aaa
... And after writing this, I realized that I really should stop rewatching for a while emot-gonk

Last edited by Pinchi (02-22-2013 03:13:07 PM)

#47 | Back to Top02-22-2013 04:59:41 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Pinchi wrote:

...is exactly the same one that is seen when Anthy leaves Ohtori (in the following image the tree is slightly moved to the right, but I assure you is exactly the same one)

Definitely not the first reused thing in the series, but that's kind of neat. I guess it gives it a sort of "book ends"-beginning/ending.

#48 | Back to Top02-22-2013 06:13:59 PM

Pinchi
Miki Molester

Lurv wrote:

Pinchi wrote:

Definitely not the first reused thing in the series, but that's kind of neat. I guess it gives it a sort of "book ends"-beginning/ending.

I agree that they just decided to reuse the image, but still it makes me wonder. I think the reason that the credits showed such barren, desolated backgrounds was that the real world is not full of roses and sunny days. That sometimes reality can be hard.

However, after this little discovery I begin to wonder if this ending just leads to another cycle. Maybe Anthy is repeating her story over again, replacing Dios for Utena... that thought depresses me a little emot-gonk. Then I guess I'm overanalizing this too much. If my thought above makes any sense, I'm sure that there are stronger arguments in the series than just this image to prove it.

I like your idea of a sort of "end of the tale". I think I'll stick with that one emot-keke

#49 | Back to Top02-22-2013 06:22:59 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Pinchi wrote:

However, after this little discovery I begin to wonder if this ending just leads to another cycle. Maybe Anthy is repeating her story over again, replacing Dios for Utena... that thought depresses me a little emot-gonk

My take on it is that the dry/dead tree represents the harsh/dream-barren quality of the real world - the world that crumbled young Utena so long ago.  Anthy is now going into that harsh, real world in search of her Utena.

That being said, even if Anthy is replacing Dios for Utena (I thought that highly likely, YMMV), its not like a mere human like Utena is capable of hurting her the way Dios/Akio did.  So I don't think you got anything to worry about on that count.

#50 | Back to Top02-22-2013 06:29:39 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Lurv wrote:

Pinchi wrote:

Ikuhara has talked before about enjoying the reuse part of animation practices, comparing it (as I remember) to mantras and ritual. (As opposed to Hideaki Anno or Shoji Kawamori, who've expressed serious distaste for that business necessity.)

A symbol can borrow meaning from external sources, but its in-story strength and implications usually have to come from reiteration, from reuse.

Anyhow, I do think that, as she enters the really real world, Anthy is as naive as Utena pretends she isn't for the bulk of SKU. Anthy's been in Ohtori for a long time, hiding and not growing and stuff. The world out there, it's going to be a major adjustment in ways she's unlikely to even be aware of.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Board footer