This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-24-2008 12:46:58 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Creepiest Moments in SKU

There are more than enough creepy, eerie and sometimes downright scary moments in SKU.  What are the moments that really creeped you out, that haunt your mind and make you shiver involuntarily when you think of them?

For me, the creepiest moment has to be in Nanami's first Akio Arc Duel Episode, Her Tragedy, when Anthy is spoon-feeding Akio shaved ice.  Most specifically, in the original Japanese when she says -

Anthy: Oniisama, the inside of your mouth is all blue.

Note that during his scene there is no dramatic camera angles or focusing in on Anthy when this happens (such as when she is giving one of her bullshit little signature smiles).  For all it looks like, the situation looks completely normal, with no ominous visual clues that remind you that it is all a facade.  The niceness isn't even overdone to the point where you know it's fake because of how cheesy and forced it comes off as.  Unlike the scene where Anthy smiles at Akio after having sex, if someone with no previous SKU experience watched this scene, they would be unable to tell that Anthy's submissive behavior is empty.

No, the real creepiness in this part of SKU comes from the fact that it is one of Anthy's best moments of acting -and for an incredibly sinister purpose; to torment Nanami into dueling by twisting and misleading her in regards to her views on siblings, princes and princesses, and sex.

Anthy's Japanese voice in this scene will haunt my nightmares.....

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-24-2008 12:48:04 PM)

#2 | Back to Top10-24-2008 01:19:46 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Re: Creepiest Moments in SKU

I basically love SKU for its chilling moments, as one might be able to tell from my fanfics. XD No matter what the situation, there's always this ominous chill permeating every episode. This especially manifests in the Apocalypse Arc, when Anthy becomes one of the most terrifying characters in Animedom. Here are some of my fav moments...

- In the Black Rose arc, when Kozue is caressing a sleeping Miki's cheek, memories of childhood playing in time to a slow tempo. She has this almost childlike smile on her face and her eyes are heavy-lidded with pleasure. It's a perfect example of her idealized obsession with her brother. Only, in her, it manifests itself as sexual desire. Kozue always was a force of nature. It's a shame she wasn't given more time in the series: in my opinion, she had the potential to become of the leading antagonists, rather than taking back seat to her less vicious male counterparts.

- Nanami killing the kitten as a child. If she hadn't felt such remorse about it, perhaps she could have done something equivalent with one of Touga's many girlfriends. Despite all of her arrogance and cruelty, Nanami demonstrates that she can actually be quite caring. If she had become as ruthless as her brother, then very few people in the series would have been safe.

- The poisoned cookies and tea scene towards the end. You know the one I'm talking about. When I saw that, I'm just like..."What the hell? Did that really just happen? Did the two of them really just poison each other and smile about it?" Since neither of them gurgled blood and died in that scene, I'm guessing it was more metaphorical. Still, it was weird and surreal even for SKU. I've never really known what to make of it. I know it's symbolic. Does that mean it actually happened? All in all, it's probably one of my all-time favorite scenes. The music catching in the background is just so perfect.

- Shiori in Azure Paler Blue than the Sky, particularly when she's standing behind the door. She's wearing clothes that obscure most of her body, messy hair that's falling over pale and sallow flesh, deep bags under her eyes, and is glaring out at Juri in a way that reminds me of Sadako Yamamura. Although the episode was supposed to depict Juri's downward spiral, I ended up pitying Shiori most of all. And that's not just because she's my favorite character. Her ultra-conservative clothes in particular reflect just to what extent her self-loathing has been taken. Ruka entirely ignores her pain, all of her supposed friends simply laugh at her and gossip, and only Juri out of any of them has any concern whatsoever. While Shiori's not the most sympathetic character, it's depressing to see someone already desperate and negative be ground into the dirt.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#3 | Back to Top10-24-2008 03:20:35 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Episode 39 wrote:

Dios:  You can't do it. You're a girl, aren't you?
Dios:  Besides, you don't have power. With power, anything is possible.
Dios:  You can even free her from her fate.
Dios:  But how the power is used...
(Akio standing on one of the horses on the carosel.)
Akio:  ...is my decision.

That fucker is way too tall to be popping up on you like that. emot-mad

Also, in the first arc when Anthy's alone in the classroom singing that bunnies all in a row or whatever song and doing the thing with her hands. Yeesh. emot-gonk

(BTW, this is really a thread for the SKU forum, so moved. emot-smile )

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top10-24-2008 04:37:22 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Akio: "I will comfort you as I always do, little mouse..."

Anthy: "Squeak squeak..."

((*shudders* emot-gonk ))

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#5 | Back to Top10-24-2008 04:41:30 PM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

When the bird crush on the window, when Shiori talks to Juri. In the same episode, when the birds look at the flying castle.

THAT DAMN BIRDS GIVE ME THE CREEPS! emot-gonk

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#6 | Back to Top10-24-2008 06:40:53 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Anthy asking Utena completely out of the blue: "Who are you?" And then the screech of the swords. OH MY GOD. I was disturbed for days afterwards. emot-gonk

...Anthy's Japanese voice actor is legend, dude. emot-biggrin

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#7 | Back to Top10-24-2008 09:23:00 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

The Prince Who Runs Through the Night.

I actually stopped watching the show after I saw that episode. I was so disgusted with it that I decided I was done. It represents to me one of the boldest choices made in the entire show, but the first time through I could NOT handle it.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#8 | Back to Top10-24-2008 10:24:49 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

For me, the final duel: Revolution.

Dear sweet god, the Swords. Just watching it was bad enough.

I knew something VERY BAD was going to happen when Missing Link started, as I am very sensitive to soundtracks and I'm usually the first to shudder at appropriately used music. I was distinctly ill-prepared when I saw what happened.

Anthy suspended in air, the first sword between her hands ( at first it looked like was going through her hands, too me at least). One by one the swords impaling her, until the blaces screech because there is no more flesh to stab. Even then, her cold dead eyes pierce through what little space there is between the blades.

Most of all I will never forget Utena's screaming, begging for someone - anyone- to save her friend.

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#9 | Back to Top10-24-2008 10:34:38 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Katzenklavier wrote:

While Shiori's not the most sympathetic character, it's depressing to see someone already desperate and negative be ground into the dirt.

*loves you* etc-love

On another note, SKU has some of the most disturbing scenes in anime history. I suppose this thread couldn't exist without mentioning episode 38 OH DEAR GOD ANTHY'S EYES ROLL BACK IN HER HEAD WHAT THE FUCK.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#10 | Back to Top10-24-2008 11:28:54 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

dollface wrote:

On another note, SKU has some of the most disturbing scenes in anime history. I suppose this thread couldn't exist without mentioning episode 38 OH DEAR GOD ANTHY'S EYES ROLL BACK IN HER HEAD WHAT THE FUCK.

...and in an echo of that scene, Anthy's dress standing on its own while the broken and bleeding Utena clutches its skirts. JESUS CHRIST. (Also, Anji, about Missing Link: I had the duel song downloaded before I saw the end of the series and I loved it. I was like you when it started -- OH MY GOD THIS CAN NOT BE GOOD. And it wasn't. emot-gonk)

Another moment that bothered me was the way Mikage turned his head to Utena in front of the photographs of the duellists in Nemuro Memorial Hall. It's partially because of his eye colouring, but it's done in this slow and watchful way that makes me think of him as being so very, very dead inside. It scared the crap out of me. In much the way I fell off the couch during episode thirteen when the dead boys starting kicking in their coffins. emot-gonk

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#11 | Back to Top10-24-2008 11:31:40 PM

phul
Wakaba Wrangler

In the episode where Utena goes to Nemuro Hall and is looking at the pictures on the wall, and then Mikage is standing next to her, talking.  At one point, he smiles, and turns his head ever so slowly to face Utena, and it is the creepiest thing ever.

Also, the first time they flash that picture of the dead boys from Nemuro Hall, at the end of episode 13... nightmares, man.

I really think the Black Rose Arc was the creepiest.  emot-gonk

#12 | Back to Top10-24-2008 11:41:20 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

See now I have this crazy idea to do an idea that I've had.

It's an SKU video for Ghostflowers by Otep - but it's live action. I really want to do this, for the appropriate levels of creepiness, but I don't know anyone that could fit my pictures of these people in my head. emot-frown

BACK ON TOPIC:

Ewwwww, the Nemuro boys.  I still flinch when I see them.

And the soul-sword taking scenes. I think the one that got to me most was Touga. He was already not well and the the kind of choking AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH he made. *cringe*

#13 | Back to Top10-24-2008 11:46:52 PM

End of the Tour
Ballgoer

It's hard committing to a single creepiest moment, but I'm surprised no one's mentioned Anthy's candelabra yet.  Anything that puts Utena and Akio together gets at least a bit creepy (in my opinion, anyway), but that added a really special element to it.

Sometimes life is about making difficult sandwiches.

#14 | Back to Top10-24-2008 11:47:21 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Clarice wrote:

Anthy asking Utena completely out of the blue: "Who are you?" And then the screech of the swords. OH MY GOD. I was disturbed for days afterwards. emot-gonk

Seconding this

Stormcrow wrote:

The Prince Who Runs Through the Night.

I actually stopped watching the show after I saw that episode. I was so disgusted with it that I decided I was done. It represents to me one of the boldest choices made in the entire show, but the first time through I could NOT handle it.

...and this.

Both episodes were a really freaky turning point in the series (the first time you see them, at least). In episode 33, you see how things are really not going the way you might expect them to (before I had seen the entire series I would have never thought Utena would fall for Akio like that), and it all goes just so wrong. I seriously didn't want to believe all that had happened. They did offer some explanation in the following episode but then Anthy has to add that question in the end and make it all really disturbing. That scene gets me every time I watch episode 34.

Also, I find lots of scenes involving Nanami quite freaky. Usually she appears as comic relief and when a character like her is deeply disturbed, then you can't really help but feel uneasy about it.

And the dead boys in the Black Rose Arc....creepy! emot-gonk

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#15 | Back to Top10-25-2008 01:40:29 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

OMG I love this thread - it makes me smile and shiver in quick successions. emot-rolleyes

There's SO many creepy SKU moments...and so many of you have reminded me of them. (evil siblings feeding each other shaved ice *shudder*. Anthy's eyes rolling back as she disappears *I fall over twitching*). Others have mentioned moments I don't even find creepy, which I'm finding very fun to revisit and rethink on those moments...(such as Anthy's question to Utena: "Who are you?")

To add some more that come to mind for me:
*Akio bends over Utena in his car, presumably kissing her silly. From the shadows...a pair of glasses emerge...Anthy is standing there! OMG she is standing there watching!! You can't see through her glasses and she's holding the candelabra! OMG run!!! Wait a moment...she's gone. emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa

*The first moment Touga actually flirts with Nanami to get her to have a reaction. I knew there was a "brother complex" but I was shocked into er creeped-out shock at him playing with it so obviously.

*Zombie Kanae sitting in a dark room while Akio opens her jaw and Anthy's hand shoves a piece of apple inside. Flash to apple on table with many forks sticking out of it? OMG! What are those two creepy creeps inTO?! WTF are they doing?! And I also found Anthy's subsequent shaving of the shaved ice with a MASSIVE chainsaw pretty damn creepy, coupled with her rush to prevent Utena entering the room-of-Kanae-the-zombie, and her "thankyou!" to poor Nanami admitting that Anthy "scares her to death".

*Every single flash of a sex scene between Anthy and Akio, including the "walk toward the couch", the alien-hair-attack, the Akio-pulls-Anthy-to-him cue windows, the naked Anthy leg on couch, the disappearing dress on couch, the freaky abandoned glasses, and last but not least Utena's flash of Anthy's naked dead-looking body lying down before she sees Anthy standing up - zoom in to creepy dead staring. OMFG. It's incest people. I also include the Akio-has-turned-into-a-body-of-stars having sex with Anthy scene. That was when I thought Akio might actually be Lucifer. I also kept telling myself they couldn't possible be true brother and sister...

*The devlish look in Shiori's eyes as she glances up at shocked-Juri...right before the sword comes out of Juri's chest. Truly a chilling sword scene. Oooh add to this the "attempted kiss" of Kozue to Miki, followed by Miki backing away, and then Kanae watching (with butterflies rising) while he keels backward with the sword. Actually also add Kozue pushing Anthy down as they race past in the car. Kozue is an evil creepy bisexual! emot-rofl (um I'd like to point out that I'm the non-evil non-creepy kind *smug grin*)

*Mamiya turning into Anthy and glancing back fondly at Akio. OMG. They're the same person? *falls over in shock and fear*

*Anthy's glasses doing the reflected light thing frickin' again as she watches Utena & Akio on the couch. Then she backs out of the elevator. OMG. OMG. The glasses of creep-factor! What does it mean?! *faints*

*All the pointing fingers in Nemuro Hall. And focusing on butterfly pictures and such. I didn't understand a thing, and I was majorly creeped out.

*And of course Anthy actually stabbing Utena. I never saw it coming. The way her eyes look right before she does it...*mutters to self in dread*.

I notice Anthy caused a lot of creep factors for me...well she is the creep-queen of anime! A character always pretending to be something she's not and never once getting caught in the act. But simultaneously not wholly being what she's meant to be - it's a massive mindfuck all the way. Creepiness! Creepiness! Creepiness!

AnjitheArtist wrote: It's an SKU video for Ghostflowers by Otep - but it's live action. I really want to do this, for the appropriate levels of creepiness, but I don't know anyone that could fit my pictures of these people in my head. emot-frown

Your idea sounds cool (what I understand of it) - you should try to do. emot-keke What exactly do you mean by "live action" and "anyone that could fit"? Maybe some of us will have ideas for you?

And I should say that this thread also inspires me to do an AMV bigtime, cataloguing all the creepy moments y'all mention here in creepy creepy detail. The problem for me would be the music. The only thing that comes to mind is the "fighting soundtrack" in Noir. Anyone know what that's called or have a different music idea?

EDIT: Of course come to think of it, a creepy-parody-amv of SKU might be even better. Funny music to creepy moments...would that even work? emot-tongue

Last edited by sharnii (10-25-2008 01:47:18 AM)

#16 | Back to Top10-25-2008 03:30:59 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Creepy moments. Quite some for me.

- The scene, where Nemuro sees Tokiko and Akio together, and his gaze afterwards gave me shivers. That guy should go insane right then!
- The scene where Utena and Anthy are somewhere outside, and in one flash moment, Utena suddenly sees Anthy with all the sword sticking from her body emot-gonk
- Kanae and the apple. WTF?
- Incest scenes (Akio/Anthy)
- Phallic symbols (cactuses, Touga eating a juicy carrot, Akio biting off rose petals). Creepy and perverted as hell school-freud

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#17 | Back to Top10-25-2008 03:47:46 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Nanami's Rose Groom wrote:

Creepy moments. Quite some for me.

- The scene, where Nemuro sees Tokiko and Akio together, and his gaze afterwards gave me shivers. That guy should go insane right then!

Argh, you reminded me of the creepy moment when you see Nemuro pushing his own coffin. WTF. Actually, coffins in general creeped me out all the way through the series. Baby!Utena telling Saionji and Touga that there's no point in living when we all end up dying also disturbed the hell out of me, not least of all because Touga is so expressionless as she tells them so. It's the fact a little girl is saying it. emot-gonk

Last edited by Clarice (10-25-2008 03:48:13 AM)

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#18 | Back to Top10-25-2008 04:07:50 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I'm just rewatching the series with my boyfriend, since he'd never finished the series, and we got through to the second episode tonight.

That smile of Anthy's at the very end of the second episode chilled me to no end. And I had to try so hard to keep my mouth shut to keep from spoiling stuff for him. emot-gonk

Last edited by Lady Chani (10-25-2008 04:08:07 AM)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#19 | Back to Top10-25-2008 08:47:31 AM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

BlackRoseVixen wrote:

Akio: "I will comfort you as I always do, little mouse..."

Anthy: "Squeak squeak..."

((*shudders* emot-gonk ))

Yeah, that one's up there for me. Actually, a lot of Anthy moments make the list, including the peeping on Utena and the cantarella cookie scenes.

As for the perverted phallic scenes, I love 'em. They're like eating a bowl if ice cream that's already delicious, and then you bite into a fresh strawberry or a chunk of fudge, and you're like, "Ohhh yeah." X3

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#20 | Back to Top10-25-2008 10:15:43 AM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

sharnii wrote:

Your idea sounds cool (what I understand of it) - you should try to do. emot-keke What exactly do you mean by "live action" and "anyone that could fit"? Maybe some of us will have ideas for you?

Actually I'm going to write up the vid idea. Only question is, does some thing like that go in SKU discussion.

#21 | Back to Top10-25-2008 12:56:27 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

The very first time we see that Anthy and Akio are sexing each other.

"Come here, Anthy..."

In that moment, everything you know about the series is irrevocably altered and cannot be repaired. I know this is a bit cliché, but it got me. It got me good.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#22 | Back to Top10-25-2008 03:23:35 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Kanae gets stabbed. With a rose stem.
Ick.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#23 | Back to Top10-25-2008 03:59:45 PM

Hedgehogey
Framed Landscaper

-Mayo. Sandwich. That whole scene has a vague undertone of date rape.

#24 | Back to Top10-25-2008 05:30:39 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

Ashnod wrote:

The very first time we see that Anthy and Akio are sexing each other.

"Come here, Anthy..."

In that moment, everything you know about the series is irrevocably altered and cannot be repaired. I know this is a bit cliché, but it got me. It got me good.

Dear, I second yours. I truly got that same feeling.

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#25 | Back to Top10-25-2008 05:50:29 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Hedgehogey wrote:

-Mayo. Sandwich. That whole scene has a vague undertone of date rape.

I get the shivers just thinking about the sandwich. Eeeeergh.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Board footer