This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-22-2009 04:10:22 PM

AnythingGoes
New Student

In the sunlit Garden

That wonderful and scary scene between Anthy and Akio in Episode 26, when she is telling what happened after Utena and her helped Miki with injured Kozue, is in my opinion VERY enigmatic. When Anthy arrives to the point in her story referring to when she and Utena were leaving Miki's house and walk the "sunlit garden" the images shown might make us conclude that she is hiding the true conversations she and Utena held.

We are not told that Anthy is going to explain what happened to Akio, and we just see Utena and Anthy in the sunlit garden. The following conversation follows:
Utena: Hey, do you think this is the garden?
Anthy: What do you mean?
Utena: The sunlit garden. you know, the one from Miki's song.
Anthy: Maybe, but that garden existed in his mind, right?
Utena: Miki said he and Kozue played the piano when they were kids.He told us.
Anthy: That's true.
Utena: Was it in this garden? It's all gone to seed.
Anthy: It's just a memory now.
Utena: Maybe you are right, but I was expecting something more...

The voice of Akio interrupts and we learn that Anthy is revealing the story to his brother:
Akio: Expecting more what?
Anthy: Who knows... what did she mean? Even I do not know.

But the images show Utena in the sunlit talking while Anthy is paying deep attention to that. And Utena ceasing talking and looking to Anthy with confidence and some tenderness. BUT WE ARE NOT REVEALED WHAT UTENA ACTUALLY SAID.

What did Utena say? Why we are not allowed to hear it, while we were allowed to hear the previous statements of that conversation? What, if anything, is so precious for Anthy that she is not going to reveal to Akio or the audience?

Then we have the opening song, which states:

In the sunlit garden, we both joined our hands
Drawing close from comfort, we both swore
Never again we would ever fall in love

Do you think that can be the answer?

Last edited by AnythingGoes (12-27-2009 03:57:30 PM)

#2 | Back to Top12-22-2009 10:10:43 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Re: In the sunlit Garden

It's a possible interpretation.  The idea never did strike me, but I think it is entirely possible that Anthy is hiding something deliberately from Akio and remains hidden to the audience.  If so, I don't have a clear idea as to what Utena's words might have been, but it could have been something of that nature, especially since Akio immediately goes into whether Anthy has romantic feelings for Utena or not...which is obvious that she does to where I believe the question on Akio's part was rhetorical.

#3 | Back to Top12-22-2009 11:25:17 PM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

I love this scene too. emot-biggrin

AnythingGoes: But the images show Utena in the sunlit talking while Anthy is paying deep attention to that. And Utena ceasing talking and looking to Anthy with confidence and some tenderness. BUT WE ARE NOT REVEALED WHAT UTENA ACTUALLY SAID.

What did Utena said? Why we are not allowed to hear it, while we were allowed to hear the previous statements of that conversation? What, if anything, is so precious for Anthy that she is not going to reveal to Akio or the audience?

I've always thought that since this scene is shown Anthy pov it just reflects that at this point Anthy has stopped listening. She's gazing at Utena in wonder (not understanding her, being inspired by her but not understanding that feeling). She's not listening to Utena anymore - she's thinking about what has just been said:

Anthy: It's just a memory now.
Utena: Maybe you are right, but I was expecting something more...

AKA there is a memory between them, between Anthy and Utena, of two small girls, one in horrible agony and the other reaching out to her in a princely gesture. Neither remembers it clearly, Anthy because she's dead to hope, and Utena because she's suppressed it in her search for the mystery prince. It's very like the case of the sunlit garden (which is a symbol of childhood Utena and Anthy's first meeting in any case, as indicated in the opening song). Miki remembers his relationship with Kozue as being different, intimate, meaningful - Anthy points out that only exists in his mind now. Utena points out it had a concrete beginning, the twins once did have something special, and therefore...could possibly again.

When Utena says she was expecting something more she is talking about hope for Miki and Kozue, but more importantly and more essentially she is talking about her latent memory of meeting young Anthy. It's more than latent memory to her...deep down it's her reason for everything she's done in her life to that point. The look they share is similar to Utena later dipping her fingers in the water in the garden and Anthy bending down to ask if she's alright, another moment of "almost remembering their connection"/"admitting their connection".

Anthy catches something of Utena's hope and determination. And stares at her in wonder, not understanding how someone can feel that way. And sensing that Utena feels that way because of HER.

spoon: but it could have been something of that nature, especially since Akio immediately goes into whether Anthy has romantic feelings for Utena or not...which is obvious that she does to where I believe the question on Akio's part was rhetorical.

Which shows that Akio interprets Utena's words as Anthy herself did in the broken-down garden...as a statement that there is something more between Utena and Anthy, or should be.

#4 | Back to Top12-27-2009 03:25:53 PM

AnythingGoes
New Student

The other day when I wrote my post, I was so exhausted after a hard day that I forgot to deliver the very last part. I finished referring to the Rinbu Revolution song portion, but more importantly the scene shared by Utena and Anthy in the sunlit garden is, in my opinion, possibly evoked in the very last scene of Utena. When Anthy leaves for good, the last gift from the creators of the show comes in the form of the photograph that our girls took with Akio in the Planetarium. The eternal words of Utena, with bird singing as the background sound, are remembered:

Utena: Listen. If you ever had a problem, come to me first. I want us to be friends like that. And someday, together...
Anthy: Someday together...?
And Someday Together We'll Shine

The birds singing well could be a hint indicating that the big revelation for Anthy came from Utena's words at the sunlit garden, and that she is not able to assimilate them right away, but appreciative enough to not share that precious instant when Akio interrogates her, keeping it for herself building the bond with Utena.

Maybe this is truly apparent, but I am not sure if everyone links those unforgettable words of Utena to the scene in episode 26. For me this is fully "utenic" (i.e. open to interpretation), and I think I love it... Although the link to the opening song has a narrower interpretation (romantic declaration) this is more complete since Utena continues delivering pure love (whatever the forms it ends taking: friendship, romance, etc.) what I think is at the core of the story.

#5 | Back to Top12-27-2009 04:31:03 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I'm really in love with your interpretation, sharnii. And how that scene links to the opening song.. I never saw that before, but its amazing. You know, every Student council duelist has some kind of them.. miracles for Juri, eternity for Saionji, the miraculous "power" for Touga, and the sunlit garden for Miki.. yet each of these themes goes back to relate to Utena and Anthy, our main characters.

I also love that Anthy would hide these "little" things from Akio.. in her own way it shows a bit of quiet rebellion.. or perhaps it is something she is still trying to figure out herself, but she knows that it means something, and she just doesn't feel like sharing it with Akio. Its easy for Anthy to act oblivious.

It's so beautiful. etc-love

Board footer