This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-07-2007 02:13:48 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Fashion Crisis! Help, quick!

Okay, so Paradox's holiday party is in two hours, and I've got a dilemma: nothing to wear.  At least I think I don't have anything to wear.  I have a black dress I bought this summer.  It goes past the knees, but it's sorta sleeveless.  Given it's winter, is that inappropriate or not?

Here's a quick idea of the cut:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/MyleneMcBride/BlackDress1-edit2.jpg

It's okay, right, because it's a "little back dress?"  Or is it not acceptable regardless because it's cold?

Yes, I should have worried about this well before now, but after seeing how handsome Paradox looked this morning (he'll be adding a tie for the event), I didn't want to look frumpy.

Please help, my forum fashionistas, I've only got an hour before I have to leave... emot-keke;

#2 | Back to Top12-07-2007 02:36:46 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Re: Fashion Crisis! Help, quick!

Ah, those moments in which the closet seems empty...

First, I would doubt to call myself a fashionista of any sort emot-rofl. But anyways, I think a cute LBD (even if you're is not-so-little, given it goes past the knees) is almost always appropiate; on the other hand, make sure you will feel comfortable and confident, and don't freeze - do you have a cute cardigan to wear, or some sort of jacket you like with a 'dressing up' vibe?

The cut seems right to me - you will look amazing! Most dress codes don't care about the outside temperature, actually. I wish I could offer some advice on how to accessorize it, but I guess your taste will guide you in that. And you can always ask Paradox for approval emot-wink

#3 | Back to Top12-07-2007 02:46:02 PM

Mylene

Unfortunately, I won't see Paradox until I pick him up and take him to the party.  But he did mention this dress as a possibility until I countered with, "But it's sleeveless, is that appropriate in winter?!"

Thank you for the response.  I'm going to be a bit chilly, but I have a little cardigan I'm going to take.  It's incredibly summery and looks idiotic with the dress, but it'll do it's job, hopefully.

Anyway, thanks for a bit of reassurance.  Now to bandage up my toes as a preventative message (only non-sandal dress shoes I have like to remove copious amounts of skin) and squeeze into some panty hose.  Only 15 minutes to go--shoot, I'm actually supposed to leave now, I think!  emot-gonk

#4 | Back to Top12-07-2007 02:49:18 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Relax, you will have plenty of time... Don't try to hurry up when dealing with panty hose! etc-love

#5 | Back to Top12-07-2007 02:54:48 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

I like the cut.  It's not inappropriate for winter.  People wear whatever the hell they want in winter.  Just make sure you put a coat on before heading outside, and don't stand out in the cold for too long. emot-tongue

#6 | Back to Top12-07-2007 03:00:16 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Seriously, when I saw Cerise's post, the first I thought was "I hope Alexandra will be in time to give her opinion". Glad to see you emot-wink

PS. Post #1100.

Last edited by Asfalolh (12-07-2007 03:01:02 PM)

#7 | Back to Top12-07-2007 04:08:06 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

I saw the word 'fashion' and 'crisis' and I turned on my red and blue lights (they're earrings. ;) )  Seriously though, you have to make do with what you have sometimes.  It's hard to classify a dress as "winter" or "summer" because they usually show the legs and arms anyway.  A black, long sleeve V-neck floaty sweater would have worked underneath - you'd still have the cleavage but added coverage on the arms.  Or a cropped jacket to make it look like a skirt.  And add a big and bold belt to accentuate the waist.  Lots of options - no time. XD

#8 | Back to Top12-07-2007 04:14:33 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Alexandra wrote:

Lots of options - no time. XD

And sometimes, no accessories to make it work the way you picture it on your head. emot-wink
Your imagination is one hundred times better than mine!

#9 | Back to Top12-07-2007 07:02:38 PM

Mylene

Except I don't own any of those things, Alexandra. ^_-  But good tips regardless.  I need to start picking up things to mix and match, but I can't stand buying clothes when I'm this weight.  Holding out hope that I'll lose weight, so I don't want to "waste" money on something I might lose out of.  It's not working very well though.

Paradox seemed to think I looked just fine, so it was good, although I did freeze in the restaurant even with the little cardigan on.  I kind of wish I'd worn my "granny" cardigan instead.  It didn't look any better or worse, and it would have been warm.

If that group of old people hadn't sat down with us, Paradox would have looked like he had a harem going.  I was on his right side, and his two very attractive female coworkers were on his left. emot-keke  If the old people hadn't sat with us, two more very attractive coworkers would have joined us as well!

Edit: Part of the reason I took the risk of posting the thread was because I saw Alexandra on at the time. etc-love

Last edited by Cerise (12-07-2007 07:03:07 PM)

#10 | Back to Top12-07-2007 07:17:23 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Cerise, honey, in the words of Stacy London from What Not to Wear....

"Dress for the body you have, not the body you want."

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#11 | Back to Top12-07-2007 07:27:07 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

Cerise wrote:

Except I don't own any of those things, Alexandra. ^_-

Make sure when you do choose to add some accessories and things to your wardrobe you pick things that can work with most of what you got already.  Buying something that would clash with everything is a waste.  Once you build up your basics you can have fun getting some quirky odds and ends.  I need to go accessory shopping myself.

#12 | Back to Top12-07-2007 07:43:10 PM

Mylene

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Cerise, honey, in the words of Stacy London from What Not to Wear....

"Dress for the body you have, not the body you want."

Don't worry, I don't buy for the body I want--I just don't buy at all. ^_-

#13 | Back to Top12-07-2007 07:45:27 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Just add something metal to the LBD, for shiny - but slight and subtle - contrast, then wrap up in a big coat for to maximize the reveal.  And good luck.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#14 | Back to Top12-07-2007 07:51:03 PM

Mylene

Alexandra wrote:

Make sure when you do choose to add some accessories and things to your wardrobe you pick things that can work with most of what you got already.  Buying something that would clash with everything is a waste.  Once you build up your basics you can have fun getting some quirky odds and ends.  I need to go accessory shopping myself.

We should go shopping together.  I desperately need some fashion counseling.  Then again, shopping with me isn't fun, I get pissed off at clothes costing 'too much.'

#15 | Back to Top12-07-2007 08:02:06 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

Cerise wrote:

Alexandra wrote:

We should go shopping together.  I desperately need some fashion counseling.  Then again, shopping with me isn't fun, I get pissed off at clothes costing 'too much.'

That would be fun actually, we could go to Circle Centre or something.  I never look at the price.  Never.  I get what I like.  I'll show you some stuff and put my thumb over the price.  You'll be lookin' soooo good. emot-biggrin

#16 | Back to Top12-08-2007 01:19:24 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Cerise wrote:

Alexandra wrote:

emot-gonk I'm the same way!

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#17 | Back to Top12-08-2007 07:24:00 AM

Mylene

Alexandra wrote:

That would be fun actually, we could go to Circle Centre or something.  I never look at the price.  Never.  I get what I like.  I'll show you some stuff and put my thumb over the price.  You'll be lookin' soooo good. emot-biggrin

That would work--minus covering the price.  Just bought a house, can't spend excessively. emot-tongue Then again, there's always Goodwill shopping.  Most of my favorite things came from there. emot-keke

#18 | Back to Top12-08-2007 10:13:45 AM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

Don't get me wrong, I love Goodwill too.  You can find some neat things there.  And I always make sure to check out the clearance before I make my way to the front of the store.  I just don't think it's healthy to avoid splurging on yourself once and a while. emot-smile

#19 | Back to Top12-08-2007 02:05:26 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Cerise wrote:

Alexandra wrote:

emot-gonk I'm the same way!

seconding or thirding this. I want to look cute for cheap.

Huzza # 700 post emot-dance

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

Board footer