This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-25-2006 11:55:15 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Halloween party at Ohtori Academy! Who is going as what?

Come on guys, it's a series SET IN A COFFIN. We know there are Halloween parties, if only because Nanami would never pass up a chance to throw a bash at her magnificently appointed chateau. (lol Kiryuu family = FRENCHIE SNOBS)

The important question, far more important than 'What do the swords mean?' and 'Is Shiori evil?', is this: what's everyone showing up as?

I'll punch anyone that goes 'hurr Anthy as a witch hurr' or 'lol Utena as a prince lol'. Let's assume they're a bit more original! I, for one, think Touga should go as Gomez Addams. (Hey guys, the original Addams Family is out on DVD, whoo!)

Now, any half decent Gomez requires a Morticia, but really, Touga would end up with fifty or sixty Morticias if word got out what his costume would be.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top10-25-2006 12:46:31 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Re: Halloween party at Ohtori Academy! Who is going as what?

Anthy would go as... What else? A witch, of course! : D

#3 | Back to Top10-25-2006 12:55:58 PM

Melusina
Wakaba Wrangler

My vote is that Anthy shows up as a giant octupus just to confuse the hell outta Nanami. xD

I think Juri would make an awesome Marlene Dietrich.

#4 | Back to Top10-25-2006 12:59:20 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Chu Chu as Saionji. Because I love that episode.

I'd also like to see Ruka as Edmond Dantes (Count of Monte Cristo)

Last edited by Ger (10-25-2006 01:00:29 PM)

#5 | Back to Top10-25-2006 12:59:24 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Knowing Nanami's luck, she'd go as Belle from Disney's Beauty and the Beast -- and a mysterious herd of bison will show up and wreak havoc.

...well, it'd be the party of the season no one would forget, I suppose. Particularly not the insurance companies.

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#6 | Back to Top10-25-2006 01:08:46 PM

azuresquirrel
Touga Topper
Website

I can picture Touga showing up as like Zorro or something equally sexy and swashbuckling. Saionji would be brooding in the corner not in costume claiming that he's so above this foolishness, because he had to throw out his costume when he saw that Touga had picked the same thing.emot-biggrin

Anthy would totally be dressed in something really girly and innocent-looking, like maybe Glinda from The Wizard of Oz, but then she'd have a really inappropriate detail, like a scythe and she'd just smile while everyone else backed away.

And Wakaba would be Sailor Moon because we all know her secret dream is to be a mgaical girl shoujo heroine.

Me on gender identity: "I have more gender issues than an anime character."

#7 | Back to Top10-25-2006 01:18:35 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

azuresquirrel wrote:

sexy and swashbuckling

CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#8 | Back to Top10-25-2006 01:18:38 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Clarice wrote:

Knowing Nanami's luck, she'd go as Belle from Disney's Beauty and the Beast -- and a mysterious herd of bison will show up and wreak havoc.

...well, it'd be the party of the season no one would forget, I suppose. Particularly not the insurance companies.

Or maybe even Snow White, because then she might expect Touga to be her Prince Charming.. and then a stampede of forest animals show up. emot-biggrin

(Wait, was Prince Charming from Sleeping Beauty or Snow White? Hm..)

For some reason I can imagine Saionji going as a pirate. A very sexy pirate. emot-dance

Edit:

Giovanna wrote:

azuresquirrel wrote:

sexy and swashbuckling

CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW

..wow, what timing I have. emot-aaa etc-love I was imagining something like that.

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (10-25-2006 01:19:17 PM)

#9 | Back to Top10-25-2006 01:30:31 PM

Christi_Morelei
Touga Topper
Website

Ger wrote:

I'd also like to see Ruka as Edmond Dantes (Count of Monte Cristo)

So very seconded. emot-dance

I also think Touga or Akio might dress up as a vampire.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

#10 | Back to Top10-25-2006 02:53:49 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Kozue should be a slutty slutty French maid. And someone should be a pimp. Probably Touga, but dunno if I could actually imagine him dressing in that.  Though I really can't imagine anyone at Ohtori dressing in anything other than historical-y outfits.

Judging from other parties in the show, like Nanami's 'yay Touga!' party in the Keiko episode, where everyone is dressed up except Anthy and Utena, Utena would probably dress as herself. Saionji would probably be liek THAT'S STUPID but secretly want to dres up.

...Maybe Anthy would dress up as a princess for lack of princessliness?

#11 | Back to Top10-25-2006 03:38:53 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Christi_Morelei wrote:

I also think Touga or Akio might dress up as a vampire.

Doesn't Touga do enough sucking as it is? emot-wink

Oh oh, from the RoV thread: Nanami = Marie Antoinette.

Of course that's just going to start a period dress avalanche...

#12 | Back to Top10-25-2006 03:47:26 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Somehow I can't help, but to think Akio coming as the dashing Red Death from Gaston Leroux's Phantom of the Opera (not Andrew Lloyd Webber's version, thank you very much), before anyone knows who he is. He's invisible enough for a member of the faculty during the first arc to count as a Phantom, though his disfiguration is behind his face.

Oh, and hello to everybody! Great to see a forum devoted to another favourite series of mine.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#13 | Back to Top10-25-2006 03:47:40 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Giovanna wrote:

I'll punch anyone that goes 'hurr Anthy as a witch hurr' or 'lol Utena as a prince lol'.

Razara wrote:

Watch out for Giovanna jumping out of the shadows and knocking you one!

Anyway. Akio must go as Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos. For evidence, I point to H.P. Lovecraft's short-short story of the same name: http://aglick.web.wesleyan.edu/Dallbun/ … thotep.txt. school-devil

Suzuki, Yamada, and Tanaka, as geeky guys and fans of the late great Carl Barks, attend as Huey, Duey, and Louie.

A-ko, B-ko, and C-ko attend in their school uniforms, but with nifty masks. o/ Paper faces on parade! o/

If Anthy was going for thematic weight, she'd come as Helen of Troy, but in reality I agree that she'd have some bizarre kind of animal-themed costume.

Miki attends as Schroeder from Peanuts.

I think allegorist and azuresquirrel have Saionji pegged.

And at least one female Ohtori Academy student attends as Utena. Quite possibly Wakaba.

#14 | Back to Top10-25-2006 04:14:24 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
Website

hmm

utena as a lion (thinking the doujin tarot deck)
shiori as a butterfly (thinking movie)
nanami as a COW! (ya know one of those two piece outfit so that Tsuwabuki could be the other half
juri as a lepord (cause she is 'The Beautiful Leopard' in the manga)
kozue as a panther (read too many of alitheas fics emot-keke;)
miki...lets dress him up as a piano heheheh
touga could be akio and akio could be touga
and chu chu as saionji and visa versa cause i like that episode too...CURRY POWER!
wakaba should be an onion cause she is the onion princess

hmm dont know bout the rest

Chu chuu CHU!!!!

#15 | Back to Top10-25-2006 04:19:19 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Lightice wrote:

Somehow I can't help, but to think Akio coming as the dashing Red Death from Gaston Leroux's Phantom of the Opera

Yasha, when you get to this thread, know that I didn't say it first.

UtenaFanGirl wrote:

touga could be akio and akio could be touga

Okay but how would you tell the difference? emot-confused

#16 | Back to Top10-25-2006 04:23:17 PM

Rosemary Bats
Mikage Mistruster

I can totally see Wakaba as Columbia from Rocky Horror. Same bubbly-minded dancy cheerfulness. emot-biggrin

WARNING: Rabid fangirl and well of useless trivia; wielder of endless random theories; pervy fancier of all things Anthy and/or Chigusa.
-I have the honor of playing Tenjou Utena on LJ's wonderful UTENA_RPG.-

#17 | Back to Top10-25-2006 04:38:20 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Okay but how would you tell the difference? emot-confused

XD cause they dont want to dress up as anything else so they teamed up to dress as each other so that would shut everyone up and they can still act like emselves?

Chu chuu CHU!!!!

#18 | Back to Top10-25-2006 05:01:40 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Dallbun wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

I'll punch anyone that goes 'hurr Anthy as a witch hurr' or 'lol Utena as a prince lol'.

Razara wrote:

Watch out for Giovanna jumping out of the shadows and knocking you one!

Oh, great. Now on Halloween I'm going to have to watch my back for ghost, demons, and Giovanna? emot-gonk

I should mention that the "What else," and, "Of course," was my way of saying, "I'm pointing out the most obvious answer that every person that reads this thread will be thinking." Touga might as well show up dressed as a Student Council President. (The horror!)

#19 | Back to Top10-25-2006 05:27:49 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Dallbun wrote:

A-ko, B-ko, and C-ko attend in their school uniforms, but with nifty masks. o/ Paper faces on parade! o/

Nuh-uh!  They're going to pick a metaphor and run with it.  They could be the Wyrd Sisters doing commentary about how no woman of woman born can be a prince, or maybe the Fates (A-ko and B-ko get annoyed because C-ko won't stop spinning the thread).  Or maybe they'll just dress up as aliens and monkeys.

#20 | Back to Top10-25-2006 06:04:27 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

Juri could wear a really elaborate masquerade costume with a half-mask on a stick, poufy skirts made of creamsicle-colored satin and lace, and something really feathery and frilly in her hair. Because she's a pretentious elitist like that.

Anthy would rock as Lucrezia Borgia.

Utena as Joan of Arc, complete with armor! Oh, it's insanely obvious. And Nanami could try to burn her at the stake at the end of the evening. Nanami, I'm seeing as dressing as Glinda, the good witch.

Mikage could wear rose-tinted lenses and a purple labcoat and dress up as himself.

Touga would be an Anne Rice vampire, because they are flamboyant, decadent pricks. Most likely Lestat.

Miki could wear a Phantom of the Opera get up, complete with white half-mask, black outfit, and musical genius! Kozue would dress as Christine and pull a turnabout, attempting to drag Miki to the labyrinthine cellars beneath the ballroom!

Saionji would be completely unoriginal and either dress as a Samurai or sick in a pair of cheap vampire teeth and look bored and unconcerned if anyone commented. Also, he'd brood that Touga's uber-elegant Lestat costume is clearly a better constructed work in general. After noticing this, he'd demand a duel from Joan of Arc, who'd cut herself loose from the stake by the sheer power of her rose-scented clouds of charisma, pick up a piece of furniture, and defeat Saionji by pushing him into the punch bowl.

ChuChu would wear a miniature swashbuckler's outfit, complete with tiny cutlass and eyepatch.

AKIO WOULD BE RICHARD THE LIONHEARTED. And he'd be robed in crimson and gold, a noble lion emblazoned across his chest, a sword at the ready! Or he'd be Oberon. Or possibly Lucifer.

Last edited by Ivy-chan (10-25-2006 06:09:05 PM)

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#21 | Back to Top10-25-2006 07:12:23 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I wouldn't bother sticking to any one theme... well cos I'm weird damnabit!emot-biggrin

Akio should go as Dark Schneider from the Bastard! series (The hair, the bod not to mention THE EGO!)

Touga should go as Muhammad Ali (That scene where he dashed in and KOed that boxing Kangaroo got stuck in my mind.)

Saionji should go as Harley from Pokemon (Hello, My name is Ronen and I watch Pokemon...) (Well anyway I noticed certain simliaralities between Saionji and Harley and not just the hair either.)

Juri should go as a Naughty French Maid (Cos damnabit, I wanna see some fanservice!)

Miki and Kozue should both go as Rei Ayanami (It would serve two purposes, it would freak people out and it gets Miki dressed up as a girl emot-keke)

Utena could always go as Sakura from the Naruto series (It would get her out of wearing princely garb but without forcing her into a gown)

Anthy should dye her hair a pale blonde and go as Integral Hellsing (I think she could pull it off quite well)

Nanami should dress up as a mouse-girl (Maybe it would scare away those pesky elephants *hehe*)

#22 | Back to Top10-25-2006 08:15:52 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

satyreyes wrote:

Dallbun wrote:

Nuh-uh!  They're going to pick a metaphor and run with it.  They could be the Wyrd Sisters doing commentary about how no woman of woman born can be a prince, or maybe the Fates (A-ko and B-ko get annoyed because C-ko won't stop spinning the thread).  Or maybe they'll just dress up as aliens and monkeys.

I dunno... the Shadow Girls doing some version of the Three-in-one Goddess thing sounds like... a shadow play skit. If they were to actually attend the ball, as opposed to doing a skit commenting on it, they'd presumably attend as Slightly Weird Girls From The Drama Club; and as part of those "costumes," I see them wearing just generic costume stuff that conveys the Masquerade intent but doesn't make them stand out.

Ivy-Chan wrote:

Okay, you win. Anthy simply cannot attend as anyone else. etc-love

#23 | Back to Top10-25-2006 08:56:22 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

I can only thing Keiko, Aiko  and Yuuko as sheep.
I want somebody going as a doll or marionete but who?

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#24 | Back to Top10-25-2006 09:42:02 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Dallbun wrote:

Ivy-Chan wrote:

Okay, you win. Anthy simply cannot attend as anyone else. etc-love

I was Lucrezia for Halloween once. Seriously.

That said, I agree, this is an excellent choice for Anthy. cool

#25 | Back to Top10-25-2006 09:47:43 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Romanticide wrote:

I can only thing Keiko, Aiko  and Yuuko as sheep.
I want somebody going as a doll or marionete but who?

Nanami could be Bo Peep? Bo Peep looks rather dainty and dollish and has three sheep. emot-biggrin

Board footer