This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-16-2015 05:11:50 PM

Sweetgm2
Juri Jeerer

Surreal/deep thinking anime recommendations?

I have finished Revolutionary Girl Utena, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, Madoka Magica, Mawaru Penguindrum.  Watching Yuri Kuma now.  Can anyone recommend another anime that requires you to think about all the symbolism/metaphors/motifs used while looking at the psychological aspects of the characters?  Or just more in the style of Utena/Mawaru Penguindrum?

#2 | Back to Top02-16-2015 05:27:00 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Re: Surreal/deep thinking anime recommendations?

I can recommend Satoshi Kon's work, namely Perfect Blue, Paprika, and Millennium Actress. These are all films, but they make up for briefness with quality (ok, Millennium Actress is not a mindfuck, but it's much more deep than standard anime fare and certainly surreal).

Last edited by Snow (02-16-2015 05:29:31 PM)

#3 | Back to Top02-16-2015 05:57:30 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Also, since you've watched Lain, I also recommend Haibane Renmei. I would also like to add Paranoia Agent, as well.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#4 | Back to Top02-16-2015 07:39:59 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Eat-Man!

One of the first shows in the wave of midnight anime that came post-Evangelion, Eat-Man used deliberate and unusual pacing, hardcore symbolism, Brechtian distancing effects, cool action, and a good sense of humor to cover trust, shame, violence, love, war, marriage, class, money, and optimism.

And Bolt Crank looks cool.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#5 | Back to Top02-16-2015 07:42:59 PM

Sparky
Touga Topper

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, not necessarily symbolism heavy or anything but it's a very thoughtful and intelligent series with a large cast full of some amazing characters.

#6 | Back to Top02-18-2015 07:23:20 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

These are all fantastic suggestions!  emot-aaa  God you people have amazing taste.

You have been subjected to a bunch of suggestions without much to distinguish them!  Here are the ones mentioned that I've seen, plus a few of my own, with the first few free-association words that come to mind.  I have also rated the ( opening | closing ) songs of the ones that are TV series on a scale of 1 to 10, because, hey, that might matter. emot-smile

- Perfect Blue: stalker, Black Swan, Fight Club
- Paprika: dreams, superheroine, megalomania
- Haibane Renmei: wings, quiet understatement, a wall  ( 8 | 9 )
- Paranoia Agent: agency, denial, getting hit with a baseball bat ( polarizing | 3 )
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica: magical girls, witches, fuck wait no ( 6 | 6 )
- Monster: psychopathy, a doctor with a gun, all over Europe ( 7 | 9 )
- Kino no Tabi: Gulliver's Travels, allegory, talking motorcycle ( 7 | 8 )
- Boogiepop Phantom: creepypasta, things left implicit, trigger warning ( 5 | 7 )

I can come up with more if you want.  emot-tongue

Last edited by satyreyes (02-18-2015 07:25:00 PM)

#7 | Back to Top02-18-2015 07:37:33 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Apart from what has already been mentioned, I recommend Angel's Egg. It's a movie with minimal dialogue, very strong imagery and highly surreal.

Princess Tutu has a lot of the same elements of Utena and does a brilliant job at desconstructing the magical girl genre.

Ergo Proxy is a dark sci-fi anime full of so many cultural references and surreal moments that it is rife with rewatch value.

Odds are you have seen it already but if you haven't the second Ghost in the Shell movie is full of mind fuck and beautiful to behold while keeping up the density of the franchise.

Mugen no Ryvius is another self-conscious post-Evangelion anime that really pays it homage without being a clone. While not as surreal as some of the titles already mentioned it is one of the most realistic takes on the 'teenage mecha pilot' trope. Imagine Lord of the Flies in space, if you will.
Very much along the same lines, Texhnolyze. It gets increasingly less narrative as it progresses. It also makes Eva seem cheerful.

Mononoke is a super stylised take on traditional Japanese lore. Very beautiful, dubious main character, each arc is a mixture of bizarre symbolism and sheer brilliance.

And speaking of surreal, try Cat Soup. It is not deep in any way (I think, I am actually not entirely sure) but it is so utterly surreal that it deserved being mentioned here.

#8 | Back to Top02-18-2015 10:30:18 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

I concur with these suggestions. I'd also like to add the Giant Robo OVA from the 90's (not the 2007 version). Don't let the robots fool you, it's a very complex and tragic work.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#9 | Back to Top02-19-2015 03:40:22 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

I would like to add The Tatami Galaxy to the mix - it's a festivity of trippy animation, visual metaphors and surreal plot, even if it is dealing with everyday themes (student life and maturing).

In case you need something a bit lighter to freshen your palate after the more serious and heavy stuff.

And to borrow satyr's song rating system, this anime gets ( Meh but ok | One of the most beautiful things EVER )

#10 | Back to Top02-19-2015 04:05:26 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Wow everyone's got so many good recs, I feel like I'm not getting a chance! BUT I did think of one I saw a looong time ago and was very impressed by, a trilogy of shorts by different directors called Memories.

It had a scifi bent with strange sort of high-minded stories. I should hunt it down actually again!

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#11 | Back to Top02-19-2015 05:11:19 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress omg

Everyone's already recommended everything I would! I honestly can't think of anything else so symbolism-heavy, but if you like to think, Ghost in the Shell is always a good one. It's more like philosophy than psychology, though.

If you're willing to stray from anime, Hannibal has some excellent symbolism (but super-gory, so watch out).

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#12 | Back to Top02-19-2015 07:08:35 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

It's not heavy on symbolism, but you might like Shinsekai Yori. It's a very thought provoking anime and one I liked a lot.

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#13 | Back to Top02-19-2015 10:35:14 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

The Tatami Galaxy and Shin Sekai Yori were both on my list of "other things to recommend if these aren't enough."  emot-rofl  I left off Tatami Galaxy because the OP specifically mentioned deep psychological analysis of the characters, and I don't think Tatami Galaxy supports that.  But symbolism?  Metaphors?  Motifs?  Hell yes.  You have to be patient, though.  It all comes together in the last couple episodes.

As for Shin Sekai Yori, that one is... utopia/dystopia, growing up, being different.  ( none | 6 )

#14 | Back to Top02-21-2015 10:12:24 PM

Romario3210
New Student

Patlabor 2 (based Oshii)
Kuuchuu Buranko (same director as Mononoke)

Last edited by Romario3210 (02-21-2015 10:14:18 PM)

"This gentle calm and quiet is the twilight of an era.
I will probably watch the passing of this twilight age."

#15 | Back to Top02-22-2015 02:34:46 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Everyone's already recommended everything I would!

I love screwy surreal anime. I'm sad that it's barely produced anymore. The most recent ones would be Madoka Rebellion and Yuri Kuma. And Despera will be coming out eventually, but other than that...

im a shadow play girl irl

#16 | Back to Top02-22-2015 07:06:03 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine - delightfully surreal and psychedelic.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#17 | Back to Top02-24-2015 04:02:28 PM

Sweetgm2
Juri Jeerer

Thanks for the suggestions guys!  I also heard that Radio City Fantasy, Kaiba, and Mind Game are good in this regard.

#18 | Back to Top02-25-2015 03:30:52 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Stein's Gate.

The first 10 episodes are kinda boring. It's a set up for the next 16. But once it starts to ramp up, it goes white hot and just takes you down a rollercoaster of mind fuckery time traveling goodness. It is not very symbolic, per se, but it starts off as a slice of life and spirals into sci-fi mystery.

#19 | Back to Top02-25-2015 03:58:25 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Pale Cocoon is more meditative, than anything, but I think it's an wonderfully potent meditation. And very pretty.

I may be alone, but I can't help but feel that Mamoru Oshii's work tends to be less revelatory or thorough, often, than what he's basing his work on, when it comes to adaptations. Ghost in the Shell and Beautiful Dreamer, for examples, have some great moments, and a nice, strong tonality to them, but they're incredibly pared down from their source material and to me.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#20 | Back to Top02-25-2015 04:37:16 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Syora wrote:

Stein's Gate.

Seconded.  You have to have a tolerance for various harem tropes.  There is the Childhood Friend and the Tsundere and so forth.  But things get way interesting. emot-smile

#21 | Back to Top02-26-2015 08:41:19 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I really enjoyed watching Ergo Proxy.

I can be a little pretentious and up-its-own-ass but definitely has that surreal, psychological edge to it. My favorite episode is one where the characters get stuck and stranded - spending the entire episode doing nothing.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#22 | Back to Top03-07-2015 06:24:22 PM

Sweetgm2
Juri Jeerer

Keep the recomendations coming guys.  If we're talking manga I also was told Loveless can get mind screwy at times as well as Kaguya Hime.

#23 | Back to Top03-09-2015 12:34:54 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

I recommend:

1. Ghost in the Shell
2  Wings of Honneamaise
3. Spirited Away
4. Death Note
5. Gilgamesh

I watch numbers one and two every year because they are technology based anime.  The other three I like because of the social and spiritual overtones.

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

Board footer