This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:26:29 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

The obligatory Utena +/x Anthy thread

Moving discussion started here: http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=103

Quotes!  Or "The discussion to date..."

Dani wrote:

dollface wrote:

I've had Anthy fans say Shiori hurt Juri, but Anthy tried to KILL Utena.

I don't agree that Anthy intended to kill Utena. She gave her a painful stabbing very much away from vital organs. I think she was trying to save Utena from the swords that would have struck Utena had she beaten Akio in the duel and freed Anthy. However, Utena did it anyway.

A Day Without Me wrote:

Hmm, just for the record, I'm a firm believer in the Kinsey Scale. This would make everyone at least a little bi, but people can be 99.9999% hetero or homo. I'm not trying to tell straight or gay people that they are actually actively attracted to both genders. But, after all, what do you fall in love with? A person, or their gender?

But, yeah, I don't think Juri's a lesbian. I'm also one of the few people, it seems, that think Utena isn't bi - I really don't think she and Anthy are involved.

Syna wrote:

those I'd consider without-a-doubt "bi" are Utena, Anthy

[i]sexual orientation is never, ever addressed in Utena
! EVER! except in a really obviously facetious remark by Touga to Nanami. In a show with so much Gay, you'd think it would be, and it just isn't. Gender is never ever a factor in why anyone is attracted to anyone except maybe Utena's attraction to Akio/Touga as a Prince (and I'd argue that that's her being confused, given what her true memory of the encounter with the prince is). Just as, in the end, it isn't a factor in who serves as whose Rose Bride in the duels. I interpret this as meaning it's a non-issue.

Ragnarok wrote:

If you're looking for flatout statements of sexual orientation you aren't going to find them in Utena. This is a very sexual series with innuendo up the ying-yang, but it's never brought up verbally. At least half of everything we 'know' about the series is due to interpretatoin of symbolism and metaphor.

It's easy enough to say "Utena and Anthy don't have sex during the series." Granted, there's no proof that they do. There isn't any proof that Touga and Akio do anything together beyond lying on the same bed with their shirts open. And it's easy enough to state that Utena doesn't show any sexual attraction to Anthy throughout the series because it's just not something you'd see blatantly. But I can't imagine anyone claiming there are no lesbian overtones in Utena and Anthy's relationship.

Syna wrote:

The often very sexual Anthy/Utena artwork, even if they aren't together in the series (which I have my own opinions about, but I'm not going into it).

Blade wrote:

Ragnarok wrote:

But I can't imagine anyone claiming there are no lesbian overtones in Utena and Anthy's relationship.

Except Utena, who says flat-out, several times through the series, including near the very end, that there's no lesbian overtones in Utena and Anthy's relationship.

Syna wrote:

*sigh* OK, here we go. emot-smile

Here's my opinion on the matter. I think it's a little stubborn to say that all the artwork, the introduction, the conclusion of each episode of the series -- all of which have undeniable and often very sexual Anthy/Utena overtones and at least prove, to me, that the series is very very gay-friendly -- don't mean anything.

I think the fact that Anthy and Utena are never together in the series is meant to differentiate them from every other person in the series with a romantic interest. Unlike everyone else, there's no pining, no unrequited love. Unlike everyone else, they spend time together, constantly. Unlike everyone else, their relationship is based on trust and affection, and as a result of their relationship, the both of them are not stunted, not kept from growing, not held back in a spiderweb of angst and nostalgia and desperate desire to keep the past alive. And unlike everyone else, they have a true and meaningful friendship.

I think the fact they aren't together serves a thematic purpose, to show the essential purity of their relationship -- not to make us say "they don't get together."  Especially when Utena is Anthy taking her relationship with Dios, and her romantic feelings for him, and making something positive out of it. It's not that big of a stretch to go, "Well, in this equation, Utena = prince, Anthy = princess, therefore, they'll be romantically involved." That's the inevitable implication.

Blade wrote:

I disagree, actually. Utena and Anthy don't have that sort of relationship until very late in the series (pretty much the last two episodes; arguably only the last episode). Utena thinks they do, but she is deluding herself about her own motives and assuming too much about Anthy's... a fact she flat-out admits late in the series.

I think it does indeed serve a thematic purpose.

I think it continues to serve that thematic purpose just fine even if Utena does not desire to have sex with Anthy.  I think the love they have for each other, and sex, are not mutually inclusive. I'd actually say "love and sex are not mutually inclusive" is one of the points the series likes to make.

Ragnarok wrote:

Actually Utena admits this in episode 12 and spends the next two arcs without telling Anthy what's best for her. Of course she still thinks she knows what's best for Anthy and when the opportunity presents itself to 'save' her, Utena is set to take it. Also in episode 12 we get two scenes that heavily imply Anthy has come to care for Utena. (Once when she imagines Utena while alone at the council balcony and during the duel with Touga.) After the Black Rose arc Anthy tries a few times to open up to Utena, only to stop herself. What Utena admits in the last two episodes is that she had been trying to save Anthy for the wrong reasons and that she was more interested in the ideal of being a prince than doing what a prince ought to. Friendships aren't instantaneous, no, but they develope over time and by the end of the first arc it's safe to classify Utena and Anthy as good friends. By the end of the series they have a very strong bond between them which has grown from the very start. The very last thing we see in the series is a picture of Anthy and Utena standing together with Akio cut out of the picture.

Syna wrote:

Where does Utena discuss attractions to the same gender, outside of the whole prince context (which I would say is pretty damn clearly subverted) and the final comment about Anthy? (Which, tellingly, isn't at this point, "Oh, no, I don't like Anthy because I'm not gay," but "our relationship is different than that.") I certainly don't think, given, again, her reaction to Juri's love, that she "questions" it.

I would agree, but I would also say that regardless of whether or not it's "canonical," the fact that they're so heavily implied indicates that the series is, at least, gay-friendly, and Anthy and Utena being attracted to women is perfectly in keeping with their characters.

I would seriously doubt the creators would release an official picture like <a href="http://www.ohtori.nu/gallery/maison/UtenaAnthy37.jpg">this</a> if the notion of Anthy/Utena was not free to be seriously and plausibly entertained.

Blade wrote:

I don't deny they're friends and that their friendship grows over the course of the series. I'm just saying it hasn't reached that pure ideal that the original poster talked about until the very end. Until then, in fact, it's NOT based on trust or truth; both of them are lying to each other and themselves and hiding things from the other.

One of my favourite moments with Utena remains her reaction when she realises that Anthy is sleeping with Akio: jealousy. It's so human, since Utena so has not the slightest moral justification to be jealous of Anthy there. But if they had the sort of pure true and meaningful relationship then, that isn't what Utena would have reacted like.

Ragnarok wrote:

They're as much hiding things from themselves as each other. Anthy has a lot of secrets from Utena, but the reason she won't come clean is because she doesn't want to admit to herself that Utena deserves to know. She wants to believe it's all an act and therefore she has no moral dilemma. Whereas Utena is open and honest about everybody's problems but her own, to the point where she doesn't realize she has any.

I'm not sure what you're implying Utena's reaction should be upon seeing Anthy and Akio together. Yes she has a very human and very unjustified jealousy. But this isn't because she and Anthy aren't true best friends. There's no friendship out there that is immune to negative emotions or misunderstandings. This discovery shakes thie friendship that Utena and Anthy have, but it doesn't destroy it. When Anthy jumps from the top of the tower and Utena pulls her back they patch things up and it does strengthen their bond. It doesn't give them a perfect relationship, though.

rhyaniwyn wrote:

I never read Utena and Anthy as having a sexual relationship either.  I don't usually say anything about it, since there's such a compelling argument to be made for the alternative...  But I think that's ultimately a little too simplistic.  I think the reason for the fairly ambiguous sexuality and gender roles are to encourage the viewer to question the validity of their assumptions-- Regarding sexual mores, etc.  That being the case, it's not like it's wrong to read homosexuality into anyone, because there's definitely a message on the subject.  But it's not necessary to compartmentalize any character to read that message.

And any 'inevitability' based on the Prince/Princess roles gives a greater reason to question assumptions you might be tempted to make.  It's consistently used as a symbolic tool while simultaneously questioning its own relevance.

A Day Without Me wrote:

Y'know, I also have always regarded Utena and Anthy as being extremely close friends - I think they love each other, but not in a romantic sense. People can argue that this conversation between Utena and Juri proves that Utena is in denial over her relationship to Anthy, but I think she's just telling it how it is - her love for Anthy is the love of a friend for another friend, devoid of sexual feelings. And, I know I'm gonna cop it for this statement, but I also don't think that in the movie they are truly involved in a romantic manner, either, despite the blatant hints at it.

And as for series art that was created and doesn't show up in the actual animation - well, picturing Anthy and Utena together in suggestive ways sells more copies, really. I think that portion boils down to simple capitalism.

Syna wrote:

Re: Anthy/Utena: I don't want to give the wrong impression, so... first, I don't think their relationship is, at all, perfect, and I think there was plenty lying and selfishness involved to be sure, but I think that only lends to the poignancy of their relationship in the end, and serves the end of a greater theme of purity spite of a dirty, impure world. If they were -just- perfect friends, they wouldn't be nearly as realistic, and I wouldn't give a damn about them.

Second, I love that they just love each other in the actual series. I love that they're just wonderful friends. I'm a sucker for this stuff: I get misty-eyed when I think about their True, Pure Friendship and all that sort of thing. I think that's the intended reaction. I think the series is better for their not getting together within it.

But I don't think such feelings are mutually exclusive at all to romantic ones, is all. Romance can (and often should) be based on friendship, imho. I don't see why romance couldn't develop from that.

And, I know I'm gonna cop it for this statement, but I also don't think that in the movie they are truly involved in a romantic manner, either, despite the blatant hints at it.

"Hints"... like kissing naked? emot-biggrin

I kid. My only point was, when I brought up the artwork and such, that it's plausible. It's definitely an option if you want to go there, it's not out-of-character. I didn't mean to say, "Anthy and Utena absolutely get together." I meant to say, "It's not considered an unlikely or improbable thing by the creators -- it's perfectly within keeping with their characters." They aren't going to release stuff like that if they don't want to encourage an implication there, right? If you like to think of them as friends, though, go right ahead. I don't think there's a wrong answer here at all; I think it's understandable and plausible to think of it either way.

(And I wouldn't THINK it would just be capitalism -- I mean, I'm sure that's a factor, but to my knowledge, yuri isn't the easiest way to get sales with a shoujo audience, right?)

A Day Without Me wrote:

Oh, I don't think they have a perfect friendship at all - who really does, anyway? But I think they certainly have a very strong one by the end of the series.

No, the yuri wouldn't pull in the shoujo audience, but theoretically they should already be there - the yuri would pull in people who wouldn't necessarily watch a shoujo to begin with, so it'd just be adding to the audience who're already gonna watch.

A Day Without Me wrote:

God, I'm gonna get a rep for being a gayophobe when I'm not  for being so... not opposed, but that's the best word I can come up with, to the idea of a romantic relationship between Anthy and Utena. But I really think that's the only coupling you can't convince me on that is of the gay persuasion.

Syna wrote:

This is true, but to that I would respond that it was in a series of images that played with lots of different pairings, and it’s like… two pictures, compared to the plentiful (and sometimes outright sexual, as opposed to just suggestive) Anthy/Utena. I agree about the fanservice element, though I think personally this extends beyond fanservice. Again, though, please don’t interpret my pointing to them as “If you believe Anthy and Utena are only friends, you’re in denial.” No. I’m just saying that their getting together is implicated strongly – not only in the artwork, but in the opening sequence and the Apocalypse arc’s closing sequence – and that there’s nothing in canon to suggest they get together or they don’t. Both are free game; a romance is just an open possibility, is all, and one which is even promoted to some degree. If you prefer to think of them as friends, by all means. (In the series, that is. I’m not sure how you dodge this in the movie, but maybe I’m just too pleased at naked girls kissing to see something. emot-biggrin)

So, what is Utena & Anthy's relationship?  Why do you think so?  How do you identify with it?  What relevance do the different mediums (and artwork) have to the debate?

This might be dead, but I had at least one post more to make on the subject, and we are beating poor Shiori to death...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#2 | Back to Top12-12-2006 12:17:39 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Re: The obligatory Utena +/x Anthy thread

Perhaps the central issue is not who a given character such as Juri loves as how she loves. Juri's fury and general all-around seething bottled-upped-ness is much the same no matter who the objects of desire are, Touga or Shiori. Having it be Shiori gives it more tang. Having it be Touga is a lot more common and easy to relate to.

To a great extent the other characters are aspects or exaggerations or burlesques of the central triangle of Anthy-Utena-Akio. The relationship between Juri and Shiori warns what might start to happen to Anthy and Utena. It is suggestive that Anthy and Shiori both have purple hair.

Virtually all the relationships are variations of the central triangle.

The movie lost some of the power of the series with that final kiss. OH! It's a "coming out" story; it's about those people, nothing to do with the rest of us. Although I always assume that Anthy and Utena are bedmates, the story gains power by not being overly explicit and allowing people to see their relationship as either platonic or non-. There is no reason why their relationship can't be Platonic if you want it to be.

Last edited by brian (12-12-2006 12:20:39 PM)

#3 | Back to Top12-12-2006 02:21:19 PM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Just friendship?

Hell no.

Utena and Anthy's relationship goes so, so much deeper than that. It's based on a stereotype - Utena's wish to be a prince who defends a princess, Anthy. But as the series advances their relationship reveals itself as anything but. It's so full of lies and manipulations, but in the end, their feelings for each other are so strong and true that they manage to break through all that and lead to Anthy's release.
They love each other. Whether there is anything sexual between them is up to debate on Utena's part - she's kind of slow, really, so it'd take her some time to really figure out her feelings for Anthy. As for Anthy herself - she obviously [in SKU standards, that is] desires Utena, as shown many times in the series. Their relationship is quite likely to turn out romantic, but only after the end of the series. Because Ikuhara is evil like that. But then again, that's probably why he made the movie.

So to sum it up, anyone who says "they're just good friends!" will make me bang my head against the table in frusturation because that person obviously slept through half of the show or is a complete homophobe. Then again, I'll get the same reaction if someone claims that Utena and Anthy are lesbians who have been sleeping together through the whole show when no one was looking.

#4 | Back to Top12-12-2006 02:53:20 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

To be honest, I don't see why not.

I might not have any support behind the opinion I offer (no time for a re-watch...), but I get the impression that there's enough hints to support either theory. What I noticed in most anime, is that couples that aren't canon, can be interpreted as just friends. But then again, they might just be more than friends. It's like taking the viewers in consideration. If the creator does give some kind of answer to the issue, there will always be one side that's going to be dissapointed. So the best tactic would be is to keep it ambiguous. Gives people something to talk about and allows them to think what they want. In a show like Utena, which is packed with symbolism and questions that could be answered in countless ways, I find it kind of difficult to believe that the "they're only good friends" theory can't find a place in the swarm of possibilities.

As for me, I see it as a friendship that has potential to develop into something more, given the chance. (: post-series)

#5 | Back to Top12-12-2006 03:13:17 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Probably the main reason I don't think Utena and Anthy are sexually involved ... Well, is simply because I prefer them as friends.  So, because I wanna.

I don't think they have a "perfect" or "pure" friendship.  I just think friendship is more "pure" than something you muck up with romance and lust.

If you're romantically involved, there's all this comittment stuff you have to worry about.  Are you gonna have sex?  If so, is it gonna be any good?  Are you gonna be exclusive?  If so, are you gonna get engaged and eventually married?  If so, are you gonna have kids?  And are you each going to control your own money, or pool your resources?  Whose family do you visit on Christmas?  Blah!

Then, usually break-ups are a hugely messy business and you can't be friends for ages afterwards.

With a good friend, you can go off and live your life, lose touch, whatever.  Then when you see each other again it can be like none of that time ever passed.

I think people tend to have way too many expectations for and ideals about romantic/sexual relationships.  I figure that's part of what the Prince/Princess thing is about.  Granted, not EVERY girl wants to be rescued by a hero on a white horse, but we all have something or another we dream about.  As children and teenagers, certainly, even if we outgrow those desires. (Or think we do.)  I mean, ask anyone what their ideal mate would be like, and they can probably tell you.  As if they've got a checklist somewhere.

Well, you can probably tell I'm negative about relationships.  But I don't think that makes my points less valid. ;)  So, for some more projection of my personal life onto an old anime... emot-tongue 

I've had this best friend for 16 years.  I'm not gay or bi, but that didn't change the fact that I was, for several years, definitely in love with her.  There was very little that was sexual about it, but it was nearly identical to romantic love.  I felt closer to her than anyone else I've ever known in my life (still!).  I don't feel like I have to explain myself to her.  I was so jealous of her boyfriends, I hated all of them.  My boyfriends were all jealous of her.  I can relate this fairly dryly now, years after the fact, but at the time I was age-appropriately melodramatic and angsty about her.

We spent 4 years in different cities during college and only talked once or twice a year, but the moment we saw each other again it was like no time had passed at all.  Strange that she still knows me better than the people with whom I spent those 4 years.  We still say that if one of us were male, we'd get married.

That's why I read Anthy and Utena as having a relationship that isn't...like they would date each other or have sex, but it's intense and very close.  Because the most important relationship in my life has been that way.

And, honestly, I think a good friend can do a hell of a lot more for you than a girl/boy-friend.  In an ideal world, no romantic relationship would lack a strong friendship at its center, but...  You might point out that obviously the depth is already there in Utena and Anthy's relationship.  But if I re-evaluate Utena and Anthy as being sexually attracted to each other, it changes my perceptions of their motivations.  Devalues them, in some ways.   I'm not saying it's right, that's just how it is for me.

Most people are pretty stupid about sex, and I am no exception.  I have a vague antipathy toward sex, when it comes down to it.  I'd recommend reading  this... I'm probably a metaphysical sexual pessimist.  I'm not making any moral or non-moral good/bad value judgement based on that notion.  I mean, I'll try objectifying you anytime you want. ;)

Ultimately, I think it's probably irrelevant to the *story* whether they are sexually attracted to each other.  Which is probably one reason why it's never made obvious one way or another.  So we could see ourselves in them no matter what.

I always hear that Ikuhara hates shippers.  I think he's taunting them with SKU, really.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (12-12-2006 03:15:38 PM)

#6 | Back to Top12-12-2006 03:14:32 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Hina the Prince wrote:

Just friendship?

Hell no.

Utena and Anthy's relationship goes so, so much deeper than that... They love each other.

I must say I object to the phrase 'just friends' - it implies that friendship is something lesser than romance, and I think that is completely untrue.

And I think they do love each other - but like I've said before, I think they love eachother as friends, not as lovers.

Hina the Prince wrote:

So to sum it up, anyone who says "they're just good friends!" will make me bang my head against the table in frusturation because that person obviously slept through half of the show or is a complete homophobe.

Well, for the record, I've watched the series more than once (some episodes countless times), and I'm not a homophobe, so I don't think its true that that is the only way you could reach that conclusion. And, anyway, I would state it as "Anthy and Utena are very close friends." That they love each other need not be stated - the term 'close friends' says that by itself.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#7 | Back to Top12-12-2006 03:19:55 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

I must say I object to the phrase 'just friends' - it implies that friendship is something lesser than romance, and I think that is completely untrue.

*laugh*  I was thinking the same thing.  I know it's meant to exclude the possibility they are lovers--as in "they are friends and not sexually involved", but I can't help cringing at the phrases "just friends" or "only good friends."  There's no "just" or "only" about it!  They are more than girlfriends!  emot-wink  emot-biggrin

#8 | Back to Top12-12-2006 03:27:23 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Hina the Prince wrote:

Just friendship?
So to sum it up, anyone who says "they're just good friends!" will make me bang my head against the table in frusturation because that person obviously slept through half of the show or is a complete homophobe. Then again, I'll get the same reaction if someone claims that Utena and Anthy are lesbians who have been sleeping together through the whole show when no one was looking.

<head_bang_provocation> Actually you could argue it both those ways. </head_bang_provocation>
Assume for the sake of argument that they are both 100 per cent hetero-sexuals for always and all time. It is not still not "just" friendship. They have a spiritual connection that is different from any other even if they both fall madly in love with men and have 10 children each.

Sex and love and friendship are independent variables.

#9 | Back to Top12-12-2006 03:36:30 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Pretty much agree, for reasons I've stated before. I think they love each other, but for Utena at least it's purely platonic love.

#10 | Back to Top12-12-2006 04:01:07 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

Sex and love and friendship are independent variables.

Not so simple.

I'm all for promoting intense friendships (and part of the reason I love SKU is because they focus on the friendship aspect). But... I don't know, maybe I'm biased, but I don't see the fact that their relationship could eventually involve sexual attraction to be something that in any way cheapens or alters in any significant way (or any way at all, really) what they have in the series.

The romantic feelings I've had (not that I have extensive experience with them) have always stemmed organically from a strong and solid base of friendship, and as a result, even if nothing came of them, they've always been based upon a strong regard for and acceptance of the other person. For me, romance is just strong friendship + some attraction. So I just haven't seen the "crushes" I've had as really all that distinct from strong friendships, and I guess it's hard for me to understand why people think the nature of their relationship can't include romantic feelings.

And in other news GOOD GOD THAT LINK TO THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PHILOSOPHY IS BADASS! Thanks for sharing it!

Last edited by Syna (12-12-2006 04:03:57 PM)

#11 | Back to Top12-12-2006 04:13:42 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

I have this theory, that the difference between a (ideal) friend and a lover would be that you're attracted to your lover. Meaning, the level of closeness doesn't differ much from eachother. Which is why I stand corrected for my last post, because I don't consider friendship as a "only" or "just".

#12 | Back to Top12-12-2006 04:33:06 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I'll say what I said earlier, that this isn't a series which will commit a character to any sexuality in a blatant way.

Plot-wise it would be strange for Utena and Anthy to act the way they do towards each other if they had sexual relations throughout the series. They have a blossoming friendship that developes over the course of thirty-nine episodes and I don't see any indication of a 'night after' or anything along those lines. We certainly aren't left with any illusions about the nature of Utena and Akio's physical relationship. I think if Utena and Anthy had experimented at all it would have been made obvious enough to point it out. (If someone would like to point out possible scenes like this I'd be more than happy to rewatch them.)

That said, I do think the end of the series leaves it open enough that Utena and Anthy could pursue a romantic/sexual relationship if they chose to. And I don't think that's necessarily unlikely, either. In fact I like that idea, but at the same time there's no evidence beyond the picture on the mantle (which can be interpreted any number of ways.)

Nevertheless, there is an air of sexuality between the two of them. Not so much that it implies they have 'relations' but that the possibility for them to exists. Or rather, that neither of them are opposed to the idea. Utena drawing the sword of Dios and Anthy drawing Utena's prince sword are clips that are shown numerous times; if that isn't (possibly) metaphorically sexual I completely misunderstand the series.

Last edited by Ragnarok (12-12-2006 04:34:30 PM)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#13 | Back to Top12-12-2006 05:27:57 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Syna wrote:

Unlike everyone else, their relationship is based on trust and affection, and as a result of their relationship, the both of them are not stunted, not kept from growing, not held back

I'd have said that their relationship is based on Devotion (Anthy constantly at Utena's side) and Loyalty (Utena constantly fighting for Anthy) but, yeah, great analysis, I agree with you that they have a "beautiful friendship". I get all sappy about them too.

Brian wrote:

To a great extent the other characters are aspects or exaggerations or burlesques of the central triangle of Anthy-Utena-Akio.
Virtually all the relationships are variations of the central triangle.

This is one of the genius aspects of SKU. I don't think any other show I've ever watched so clearly uses the supporting characters as mirrors for the main (Anthy/Utena/Akio) characters. Every secondary character has a trait/flaw or situation or need/wish similar to one of the main three characters. And how those characters handle it, shows Utena or Anthy what they should NOT do.

For instance:
Hey, Utena, don't turn your back on true friendship (Touga/Saionji) because even though Anthy hurt you (Jury/Shiori) when you walked in on her with Akio (Mikage/Tokiko), the friendship is worth saving. However, you can't see that freeing Anthy is your ultimate goal until you realize that the memory that drives you is false (Mikage/Mamiya). Your childhood promise was to save Anthy, not find a prince on a white horse, but you can't save her in a clingy, desperate way (Tsuwabuki/Nanami) so in the end you have to let her go because you can't force freedom on her (Ruka/Jury) since she has to choose freedom for herself. That you can let her go after trying to save her with no strings attached (Tatsuya) makes you a prince and lets you gain the power of Dios (Akio).

Um, Anthy, don't hold on to your sibling-obsessed past (Miki/Kozue) in which you have a sexual relationship with him and helped him manipulate those around him (Touga/Akio). You cling to your brother as the only meaningful relationship in your life (Touga/Nanami) until you started devoting yourself to Utena (Tsuwabuki/Nanami), and began to learn the meaning of friendship (Utena/Wakaba) and what it's like to hang around someone who is strong and popular (Keiko/Nanami). To try to begin breaking off with your brother, you are mean to him in passive-aggressive ways (Miki/Kozue) but when he starts pursuing Utena, you don't know who you are more jealous of, Akio or Utena, but eventually you decide that Utena has the qualities that you most admire (Touga/Utena) and these realizations triggered the feelings you once had for your prince (Anthy/Dios).

I'm sure there are more parallels...

Ragnarok wrote:

Nevertheless, there is an air of sexuality between the two of them. Not so much that it implies they have 'relations' but that the possibility for them to exists. Or rather, that neither of them are opposed to the idea. Utena drawing the sword of Dios and Anthy drawing Utena's prince sword are clips that are shown numerous times; if that isn't (possibly) metaphorically sexual I completely misunderstand the series.

I totally agree. No sex between them during the series, but jeez, the show makes it seem like the sword pulling is better than sex anyway! The series is about growing up and realizing who you are and what is important to you and as such, Utena and Anthy realize the importance of their deepening friendship over the course of the series. I also think Ikuhara makes it clear in the commentary of the movie where he wanted their relationship to go post-series not to mention the substance of the movie.

#14 | Back to Top12-12-2006 08:44:50 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Ikuhara's comment in the movie is "They kiss cuz I wanted to see it and I couldn't do it in the series."

I'd say that's less than conclusive, considering, y'know, the man is infatuated with lesbians.

I mean, there's way more evidence for at least three of the Inner Senshi swinging that way than there is for Utena. emot-biggrin

#15 | Back to Top12-12-2006 08:48:37 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

But... err, how isn't him wanting to see them kiss less than conclusive? :p I dunno, am I missing something?

#16 | Back to Top12-12-2006 08:50:11 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Yeah, having the director of the anime being infatuated with lesbians lends credence that it's how he'd want the characters to lean. emot-wink

#17 | Back to Top12-12-2006 09:10:37 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

He wanted to see them kiss for the same reason people want to see porn of Akio doing Miki and hott Juri/Nanami action. That doesn't mean it happened.

#18 | Back to Top12-12-2006 09:20:06 PM

A Day Without Me

Blade wrote:

He wanted to see them kiss for the same reason people want to see porn of Akio doing Miki and hott Juri/Nanami action. That doesn't mean it happened.

Wait, people are into Akio screwing Miki?

Wait, that sounds kinda hot...

Can we include the music teacher? emot-dance

#19 | Back to Top12-12-2006 09:27:43 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Blade wrote:

No. But I don't think those people were involved in the creation of the series, and that does matter.

I'm still not saying anything did happen, nor am I implying this is 'proof' of any sort. But the idea is there, within the series.

#20 | Back to Top12-12-2006 09:49:13 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Actually, it doesn't really matter. Not to me, anyway. I'm an author, and I know perfectly well there's a million things authors think about or desire or speculate in a series. They are subject to change.

What isn't subject to change is what's in the series. And in the series, Utena has never shown the faintest sexual interest in Anthy or any other girl, shown that interest for two different guys, and repeatedly specifically defined herself as someone who is only romantically interested in boys, starting in the very first episode and continuing to almost the very last episode.

So, imagery nonwithstanding, I don't believe there's any romantic feelings in Utena towards Anthy. It doesn't hurt me that people think there is, but I believe the body of evidence points pretty firmly against it. Not conclusively, but there's more evidence Utena's straight than there is for Ruka being dead, and I believe that too. emot-tongue

#21 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:10:15 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

He does? Is there more to the quote than you're saying? Was it just a leering side-comment?

Because presumably, the quote does insinuate that he wanted it in the series and was otherwise prevented - if he had his way, it would've been there. And a kiss is kind of conclusive evidence if there ever was evidence. emot-smile 

I think taking into account Utena's statements isn't taking her character in context. Utena is wrong about many, many things about herself, including, in the end, her desire for a prince. She is confused. She defines herself as a prince, but struggles with the notion of the prince as a romantic interest -- which she eventually wholly rejects. I think that's reason to suspect that her attraction to males as it is portrayed in the series is not a defining trait of her character, especially since she eventually becomes that which she thinks she sees in the men she's interested in. I'd even go so far as to say the series says that these attractions are not even true to her character.

Last edited by Syna (12-12-2006 10:11:15 PM)

#22 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:17:01 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

He said "I wanted to see it". That isn't the same as "I wanted to put it in the series". If he'd wanted to put it in the series, I daresay he would have. Who was going to stop him?

And it's not just Utena's statements - though once again, she makes that statement as late as episode 36, so I think it's pushing it to say "Utena is in denial over what she's sexually attracted to". It's everything else in the series. All evidence points to her being attracted to boys, no evidence points to her being attracted to girls, and several pieces of evidence point directly against her being attracted to girls (including her own repeatedly-expressed feelings on the matter).

If that isn't enough evidence to convince you, cool and fine. But bear in mind that by that standard there is not enough evidence to show that anybody in the series is bisexual, either.

#23 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:17:46 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Syna wrote:

He does? Is there more to the quote than you're saying? Was it just a leering side-comment?

In the commentary on the movie, Ikuhara talks about how Anthy and Utena kiss during the duel with Saionji. Specifically how in the series they appear as if they are going to kiss just before Utena draws out the sword of Dios. I don't recall the exact quote, but basically he says there was discussion about whether or not they should kiss in the movie and in the end they went with it. He then says something to the effect of "Maybe they just kiss because I wanted to see it."

In the commentary on the last three episodes of the series, there's a similar discussion in which Chiho Saito says she was adamant that Anthy and Utena not be that heavily involved. She says she was very surprised when she saw the last seen of the movie.

Syna wrote:

I think taking into account Utena's statements isn't taking her character in context... <more stuff>

This is my take on things as well.

#24 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:35:03 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

OK, not even really going to try to make sense of Ikuhara's quote then! Wow, he's a confusing man.

And it's not just Utena's statements - though once again, she makes that statement as late as episode 36, so I think it's pushing it to say "Utena is in denial over what she's sexually attracted to". It's everything else in the series. All evidence points to her being attracted to boys, no evidence points to her being attracted to girls, and several pieces of evidence point directly against her being attracted to girls (including her own repeatedly-expressed feelings on the matter).

Well, I never meant to say "Utena is in denial about her sexual orientation." I meant to say that her attractions to men happen exclusively because of the fact she believes she wants her prince and that this is not really a valid form of evidence because she is wrong about it -- she rejects it entirely, as we see in the last episode, and as we see in the duel of Self, where rejecting Touga's advances is directly linked to who Utena is, and wants to be. REJECTING her attraction to the only males she is attracted to = Utena kicking ass at dueling = Utena being who she truly is. That's why I think this is suspect.

Also, do you have any other quotes from her besides the "don't get me wrong, I'm a normal girl, I want a boyfriend" quote? Which specifically deal with sexual attraction? Because I'd hold that in suspicion as well. Utena is no normal girl; the series spells this out for us many times, most notably in Wakaba's duel. The rest of the quotes I'm aware of deal with Anthy, and my opinion on that I've shared already.

#25 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:43:03 PM

A Day Without Me

Ragnarok wrote:

In the commentary on the last three episodes of the series, there's a similar discussion in which Chiho Saito says she was adamant that Anthy and Utena not be that heavily involved. She says she was very surprised when she saw the last seen of the movie.

Really? I'm kind of surprised, I seem to recall reading somewhere that Chiho Saito insisted that Utena and Anthy be treated as a married couple.

Board footer