This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top02-25-2009 12:25:29 PM

The_A_Man
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: Youtube videos dropping like flies, courtesy of WMG - discuss here

Very good arguments. Maybe this episode of South Park can explain to you the negative effects of illegally downloading music.

http://www.southparkzone.com/episodes/7 … -Hard.html

#27 | Back to Top02-25-2009 12:26:06 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

On the other hand, my outrage aside, the AMV's masher-upper hasn't harmed me.  He hasn't broken my leg or stolen my TV.

They have stolen from you, though.  They stole your song.  That song is your property.  They stole a bit of the money you could garner from the song, and even if there is some other/new audience/money coming your way, it's coming to you from a commercial source (say, youtube) in a way you may not be comfortable with.  Think of politicians using songs without licensing them - or without artist participation - to further their campaigns or establish a public image.  Copyright means the right to make copies before it means anything else; controlling the production.  And the use may irrevocably alter the perception of the song for (a percentage of) the audience.

This last piece in particular I think is off target.  Sarah Palin doesn't have the right to control people's perception of her; Campbell's Soup doesn't have the right to control people's perception of its soup; why should I get the right to control people's perception of my music?

As for the rest of it, yes, that's certainly how copyright works.  I'm just contemplating whether it's fair to try to apply the same legal standard to intangible things like songs that we apply to tangible things like TVs.  The difference, of course, is that if you steal my TV, I don't have it anymore, while if you "steal" my song, I still have it.  This isn't stealing, it's sharing by force -- which does diminish my power over the song.  But I'm having trouble finding an intellectually consistent middle ground between "artists should have total power over their creations; no one should be able to use those copyrighted creations for any reason without the artist's permission, not even for parody or interpretive art" and "artists should have no power over their creations; once they're released they should be in the public domain for anyone to do anything they want with, including commercially."  Both are clearly too extreme, but is there any philosophically internally consistent compromise?  We can talk about a pragmatic compromise, of course, as the current law does, but then talking about whether artists "should" be doing this or whether Pirate Bay "should" be doing that becomes meaningless.

#28 | Back to Top02-25-2009 12:26:24 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

I have also been on the receiving end of some YouTube copyright claims, and it sucks.

The problem with hosting videos on YouTube is that although it's a non-commercial use as far as you are concerned, YouTube is making money from the ad revenue.

IANAL, but under the DMCA, both YouTube and the uploader are immune from legal action as long as any takedown notice from the copyright holder is honored promptly. This is why YouTube doesn't fight takedown notices.

Personally I think that content providers are shooting themselves in the foot by cracking down on this sort of thing, but the law is very much on their side for now.

animemusicvideos.org has had very little legal trouble, because
a) They don't make any money, so suing them is pointless
b) Compared to YouTube, the volume of traffic is tiny (around 70000 videos hosted)
c) There are about a million easier ways to get free music than downloading a 30MB video file just to extract the audio

A lot of people find the upload and download process too hard, and it's certainly more complex than YouTube, but at least you get decent audio and video quality.

They did get a letter from Evanescence and Creed's lawyers asking them to take down all AMVs featuring those bands, which they did without a fight.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#29 | Back to Top02-25-2009 12:32:12 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Next thing you know, they will be trying to remove Abridged Series(not that most of them are worth a damn) cos they use footage of the series.

#30 | Back to Top02-25-2009 01:51:22 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Tamago wrote:

Next thing you know, they will be trying to remove Abridged Series(not that most of them are worth a damn) cos they use footage of the series.

I thought one of the abridged series (Naruto?) had already had issues with being removed. 

I'm not some corporate dog or anything here.  I watch fansubs (of unlicensed series--oh, and the second half of Kodocha since Funi's being obnoxious about it--but I'll be one of the first to preorder if they ever decide to release it), I download anime mp3s sometimes (usually when there doesn't seem to be any other way to get them--I want "Boy" from Figure 17, but it's only been released on one album, which is only being sold at one store that I can find, and I don't know if they're reputable), etc.  However, if those things were taken away, I'd be bummed, but they're within their rights.

Some are saying this is solely due to corporate greed.  That's not true. 

http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?p … 93#p137793
http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?p … 28#p137228

People were up in arms here over art theft (and I'm sure there are other times this has been brought up, but that's what my search led to.)  I'm pretty sure it's been on this forum where people have offered to help people stop their art from being stole by writing emails to sites hosting it, etc.  That, too, is about protecting one's copyright.  When you put pen to paper, you create a copyright.  Everything you create is copyrighted automatically (although it helps you legally if you submit it to the copyright office.)  If it's okay for our talented artists to want to protect their art and its use (and other artists they admire), then why is it somehow morally wrong for others to do so?  Just because they're making money from it means they are no longer allowed to feel an attachment to what is theirs?

I'm really not trying to play devil's advocate here, but people do need to remember that artists have a right to decide what can be done with their art.  Companies are usually the ones that act on it (and yeah, that's a lot due to greed), but at the same time they are protecting their artists for whatever reason.

Copyright law has a lot of issues.  With lobbying by companies like Disney, copyright is extending well beyond the scope of what it should be.  Copyright should protect the rights of the creator(s), not the creator, his children, his children's children, etc.  I would love to see artists and companies start opening up a dialogue with the modern, tech-savvy consumer in ways that allow for AMVs, but if they don't want their music used in a way that could cost them sales, they're not evil.  They're just conscientious.

I do feel bad for those who had their videos removed.  However, you can still share them within the community where they fit.  Youtube just might not be an outlet for you anymore.  Hopefully you all still have your original copies...if that was the only version still available, then I can really understand where the agony comes from.  They take a lot of work, and I hope you can find ways to continue to share them without facing any legal ramifications.

#31 | Back to Top02-25-2009 01:56:42 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

satyreyes wrote:

This last piece in particular I think is off target.  Sarah Palin doesn't have the right to control people's perception of her; Campbell's Soup doesn't have the right to control people's perception of its soup; why should I get the right to control people's perception of my music?

Actually, they do, both as individuals and corporations.  That's all a defamation suit is often enough.  Libel, slander, including that by inference of the context in which you put a person (be it digitially fitting someone into a photograph of neo-nazis, or putting a Tom Waits sound-a-like in your car commercial).  And, yes, Waits won that one.

And I think it's important to remember that not everyone working for WMG is a superfab millionaire.  Heck average sound person on a major-selling album might not even be that wealthy.  (Of course, even that money they already have could be distributed more fairly, but...)

Intellectual property is difficult to defend, especially on the basis of physicality, which unfortunately, our laws are still pretty wrapped around.  The laws do need revising, but if intellectual property isn't has significant as physical property, is the work behind it as significant or worth the money?

If you think the representatives of the music in question are wrong here, legally or ethically, take it to court.  If you don't want to pay the costs yourself, get other AMV-makers together, spread the cost amongst you, and take it to court.  Or, put them online somewhere else and wait for a company or individual to sue you, then fight fight fight.

I sample a lot, via internet, via borrowing, burning from friends, fansubs... but if I still own something by the time there's a commercial version available to me, I plunk the money down.  Because I've been on the other end, and it ain't fun.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#32 | Back to Top02-25-2009 02:18:35 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

It all comes down to the issue of 'Just because I could do it, does it mean I should do it?' on both sides (The corporates/artists vs the internet users)

#33 | Back to Top02-25-2009 02:30:29 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Mylene wrote:

Tamago wrote:

I thought one of the abridged series (Naruto?) had already had issues with being removed.

The (as far as I know) first abridged youtube series, Yugioh, moved off to its own site quite a while back due to the videos being removed.

The thing is, regardless of the moral or legal issues involved, as long as people are capable of downloading music for free on the internet they will. As such, I would think youtube videos are responsible for such a small number of nonsales as compared to actual music download sites, that this is all a kind of misdirected effort. If someone feels strongly about a song they'll pay the money for it, I certainly do when I'm able.

In terms of how much control an artist can have over their art, again not looking at it legally, I think it does matter whether the art has been purchased or not. If I pay for a copy of a song I feel entitled to do with it as I please to a reasonable extent. Likewise if I buy a block of cheese. I don't care if it's art or not, that particular copy has become my property because the artist willingly sold it to me. If I tried to charge people to listen to it, or played it freely in a concert hall I can understand getting in some trouble. But there's clearly not enough of a taboo about sharing music over the internet to keep the average person from doing so.

Mylene wrote:

I watch fansubs (of unlicensed series--oh, and the second half of Kodocha since Funi's being obnoxious about it--but I'll be one of the first to preorder if they ever decide to release it), I download anime mp3s sometimes (usually when there doesn't seem to be any other way to get them--I want "Boy" from Figure 17, but it's only been released on one album, which is only being sold at one store that I can find, and I don't know if they're reputable), etc.

emot-aaa

Utena:  Mylene! I misjudged you!
Miki:  I'm so disillusioned!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#34 | Back to Top02-25-2009 02:36:40 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Ragnarok wrote:

emot-aaa

Utena:  Mylene! I misjudged you!
Miki:  I'm so disillusioned!

...I'm so sorry! emot-gonk I never meant to disillusion...I shall never regain my grace... emot-tongue

#35 | Back to Top02-25-2009 02:46:32 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Somehow its a bit like when suing someone for some slight that most people wouldn't waste their time on otherwise, sure you could sue but what sort of precedent will it lead to?

#36 | Back to Top02-25-2009 02:50:43 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Ragnarok wrote:

If I pay for a copy of a song I feel entitled to do with it as I please to a reasonable extent. Likewise if I buy a block of cheese. I don't care if it's art or not, that particular copy has become my property because the artist willingly sold it to me.

So, when you use it in an AMV, you have to get rid of your other copy.  And only have one copy of the AMV.  Otherwise, you aren't doing something with your one copy, you're making copies.  And if you can make those copies, than copyright doesn't mean anything.

There has to be another way to handle the whole affair.  Whether it's extrapolating from the argument that you should be able to digitize for yourself intellectual property you've already purchased in a hard, physical format, or something totally new, there has to be a better way.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#37 | Back to Top02-25-2009 03:51:58 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

If I pay for a copy of a song I feel entitled to do with it as I please to a reasonable extent. Likewise if I buy a block of cheese. I don't care if it's art or not, that particular copy has become my property because the artist willingly sold it to me.

So, when you use it in an AMV, you have to get rid of your other copy.  And only have one copy of the AMV.  Otherwise, you aren't doing something with your one copy, you're making copies.  And if you can make those copies, than copyright doesn't mean anything.

I did specify I wasn't going by the legal standards. Although to my knowledge it is legal to make a backup. And then if you do want to get nitty-gritty with it "I uploaded a single AMV with a single copy of the song, the copies that were made from that AMV via the internet are entirely the responsibility of the individual downloaders. They made those copies on their own computers without my express consent or knowledge."

I wasn't defending the use of songs in AMV's, and the hypothetical argument I just wrote is more a validation to stop people from having access to songs on websites. I'm simply stating that the purchase of something does affect what a person perceives is their entitlement. Laws are, afterall, judgement calls to begin with.

There has to be another way to handle the whole affair.  Whether it's extrapolating from the argument that you should be able to digitize for yourself intellectual property you've already purchased in a hard, physical format, or something totally new, there has to be a better way.

If you'll excuse the source of the link, Daniel James had some interesting thoughts on a subject vaguely in the same area.

Last edited by Ragnarok (02-25-2009 03:52:52 PM)

#38 | Back to Top02-25-2009 07:13:25 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Yeah.  I think we can agree that the current system is incoherent.  The challenge is coming up with a form of copyright that can deal with something as nebulous as an easily reproducible work of art in the age of the Internet and with technology advancing every day.  My ideological bias is in favor of maximal freedom of honest and nonviolent expression -- even if that expression takes the form of an AMV, and even if it might indirectly harm someone's commercial interests.  To be honest, I'm not sure I can get past that bias enough to be useful in this discussion.  :-/

#39 | Back to Top02-25-2009 10:35:11 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Couldn't some AMVs defend the use of the songs under parody?? That has been defended successfully before.

20 threads dead so far.

#40 | Back to Top02-25-2009 10:54:27 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

They could try, but it's always going to be youtube's say on what they'll allow on their site, they'd just as soon avoid a legal dispute altogether by deleting any videos (or the audio to videos) that a major corporation complains to them about.

[ETA] - Abridged series can argue that their works are parodies, however if they use the actual animation from a show which doesn't belong to them they're infringing on copyrights. In order to be relatively safe, all content would have to be produced by the parodier. For example, when Weird Al parodies a song he writes the lyrics, performs the songs along with other musicians and records said songs with his own producer. Likewise, the video accompanyment is all done from scratch, even though it may in places emulate the original videos.

Last edited by Ragnarok (02-25-2009 10:59:16 PM)

#41 | Back to Top02-25-2009 11:15:28 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Which means that since all Abridged Series use actual show footage, they would technecally need permission to use it... that would spell the end of any amateur based work then as more often than not, using the original footage is part of the point.

Its not like AMVs where it is theoretically possible to convert them into low quality mp3s so you can pirate the music, you cant convert the Abridged Series back into a normal series.

They (Big Businesses) only seem to care about it now because its gained some level of popularity.

#42 | Back to Top02-25-2009 11:25:17 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

As far as Abridged Series and their ilk go, you can definitely reproduce portions of an artist's work outright under current U.S. copyright law, provided your use is deemed "transformative" and not merely "derivative."  I'm no lawyer, though, and can't tell you what the bright line is between those two words.  Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series and Naji's opus seem both transformative and derivative to me in the ordinary sense of the terms.

Parody is protected -- you can even sell it -- but the precedents seem to suggest that "parody" means what Ragnarok described above: you have to produce your own art, not just dub other people's art with funny voices.  So you'd rely on "transformative work" and not "parody" to defend an Abridged Series.

#43 | Back to Top02-26-2009 12:03:46 AM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

I hope this is not going too far out of this thread's theme but what about fanfiction? Unlike the other things like AMVs and the Abridged stuff, the only aspects of the original most fanfics seem to use are the character names, maybe their discriptions and maybe the setting.

I use the maybes before because I read fanfics that are essensually original-ish work with a character or two names added in to attract more readers.

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#44 | Back to Top02-26-2009 12:07:11 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Still not a lawyer, but such a use would be nonprofit, be different in kind from the original, use only a tiny portion of the content of the original, and have no discernible negative impact on the original artist's bottom line; that's four for four in terms of the criteria for fair use.  Doesn't mean it's fair use, but means you'd have a case.

#45 | Back to Top02-26-2009 01:06:11 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

The problem with encouraging fanfiction can be the legal issues of the original author/controlling entity producing follow-ups.  Anne McCaffrey famously permitted and encouraged fanfic writers using her characters and situations, only to find herself later sued by fic writers who believed their work (basic plot points, character types) were being coopted by McCaffrey in her newer works.

It isn't that most fanfic writers are going to cause grief or expense, or most AMV-makers, fanartists, or the kid who torrents a Summer blockbuster to watch on her laptop during a roadtrip.

These cases all depend, really, on the specifics of how the case is approached, legally and publicly.

I still can't help but think about Kaavya Viswanathan, whose YA novel was pulled from the shelves, and whose career has been basically eradicated, because of appropriation, not of entire passages, but the structure of passages from works in the same genre.  Basically, she madlibbed paragraphs from about seven to ten other YA and chick lit novels in the body of her own fiction.

William Burroughs or any half a dozen Modernists does it, it's acceptable and brilliant.  Kathy Acker pulled it off through sheer academic aggression.  But when the practice was in the so-called "chick lit" genre, they kinda pilloried the author and then forgot about it.  A perfect example of how innate these self-reflexive and multilevel interactions are, that we really are a remix culture, truly postmodern.  And the result wasn't celebration or even just a raised eyebrow and letting pass; condemnation.

#46 | Back to Top02-26-2009 08:51:27 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

But why shouldn't my grandkids reap the benefits of my art?  If I bought a house and kept it to my death, left it to my kids who kept it until their death and in turn left it to their children, 3 generations would still own and be able to make use of the house as a roof over their heads.  If my house is a farm, and it stays productive, they get income from it, too.  If I create art that is still capable of making money 100 years later, why *shouldn't* my descendants get control of the art and therefore the income?  Why should copyright ever expire?  Say I sign the copyright over to a corporation, which is deathless, shouldn't they get to own it forever?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#47 | Back to Top02-26-2009 09:29:05 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Iris, SO many of your vids are gone...I'm shocked and saddened. emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk House of Flies, I want House of Flies...
As you know I love your vids. If you post the bulk of them somewhere else can you please let me know? I want to be able to watch them. etc-love

Another Utena one of mine got taken down (Angels by Evanescence, Akio/Anthy/Utena), since I first posted this thread. Actually I think more have been taken down today but I'm too depressed to go and look. I've got to say it's upsetting not to be able to use Evanescence to vid to anymore. Or Muse for that matter - apparently all Muse songs are going.

The video-makers group I belong to for Xena editors is moving off youtube.

I'm also participating in a Multi Editor Project at the moment for multiple animes (I'm doing Utena of course), set to a megamix a fan made of mashing up Evanescence and t.A.T.u. Since Evanescence music is WMG, I wonder if that means they'll take down this megamix too...that would be pretty disheartening after all the group work and sense of community art. emot-frown

Sidenote: One of the protest videos I was watching suggested people fax/phone WMG and youtube and lodge complains. Would such action make any difference though? I'm weighing up whether to do it.

Board footer