This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-26-2010 12:32:42 AM

Aya
Unfulfilled Juror

I'm terribly out of fashion, and I'm very inetersted...

Since I'm so out of fashion, I have no idea what's in fashion. emot-rofl
I'd like to know, what's stylish? What's not stylish? Especially in head wear.  Is it just absurdly sized hats that are fashionable? I have no idea. emot-confused

Yes, I did it because I was bored. So?

#2 | Back to Top03-26-2010 09:20:33 AM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

Re: I'm terribly out of fashion, and I'm very inetersted...

I think that's a very subjective topic and varies across region. Style is whatever you look good in. emot-wink

Last edited by haelsyx (03-26-2010 09:27:20 AM)

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#3 | Back to Top03-26-2010 02:37:53 PM

ShinraiTenchi
Saionji Slapper

Aya, is it safe to assume you're female?  I don't want to give my two cents without knowing beforehand xD

The moonlight carries a message of love.

#4 | Back to Top03-26-2010 07:26:14 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

I would suggest looking through a magazine and see what is suited to your taste. Like haelsyx says, it's such a subjective thing!! Fashion isn't so much keeping up with trends, but wearing things that are expressive of your personality and fit your body type and features. You can browse online shops as well. I love checking out other girls and seeing what they're wearing. I love it because it's such a multi-faceted thing, and you needn't limit yourself to just a few brands or styles either!

And remember:

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every 6 months. - Oscar Wilde

(In other words, just stick with what you like. etc-love)

Last edited by Syora (03-26-2010 07:29:54 PM)

#5 | Back to Top03-26-2010 09:06:32 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Well, there's fashion, and then there's style.

Fashion changes every six months and exists on a large scale. Style exists on a personal level and changes whenever the fuck you want it to.

If you just want to be trendy, just read fashion magazines like Lucky, Seventeen, and Teen Vogue. Magazines like Elle, Vogue, Cosmo, etc. skew a bit older than you're probably interested in, despite what they'll claim.

If you don't want to buy physical magazines, look at their online sites. Also, there are Flickr groups and LiveJournal groups dedicated to fashion and style and you can see what people actually wear.

If you're more interested in developing a personal style instead of simply following fashion, just do what feels right. I'm sure you're not in "responsible adult" world yet, so have as much fun with your clothing as you can before you're sentenced to khaki hell with fluorescent lighting until you're 65.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (03-26-2010 09:12:28 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#6 | Back to Top03-28-2010 02:36:47 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Well, to be honest, I don't know too much about hats or headwear. Not everyone can wear hats. For instance,  I would not recommend it if your head is too big or if you have extremely long hair.

As for clothes, you can't go wrong with florals for Spring. That's always going to be trendy.  If you're really pale like me then go with pastel florals. emot-smile

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#7 | Back to Top03-29-2010 01:14:33 AM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Raven mentioned some pretty good fashion magazines, and you might also want to try fashion blogs, where people post pictures of what they wore daily. You can also take a look-see through Glamour's site http://www.glamour.com/fashion it's so comprehensive...and with tons of pictures.

In terms of hats...and headwear.....those "hippie" headbands are "in" and I wish they were not, they're kind of lame. Avoid them at all costs they will only make it look like you have a muffin for a head.

But again, 'fashion' comes and goes, style is pretty much eternal like Coco Chanel said. So one of the best things to do is just find a couple of basics that you like that never go out of style, and make small purchases with accessories that match your personality. Not to sound like some kind of fashion fitness trainer, but style is basically around 90% confidence and the other 10% dressing for your shape, and all that great stuff.

emot-keke

Last edited by lex (03-29-2010 01:16:24 AM)

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#8 | Back to Top03-29-2010 05:54:58 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Well I know that newsboy caps are popular among male and females.
http://www.hat-manufacturers.com/picture/newsboy-caps/corduroy-newsboy-cap.jpg

I'm a bit of a fan.

And yes hippie headbands are in among girls but as lex mentioned they're kinda retarded and I think they make the wearer look a tad douchey.

Last edited by chrisb (03-29-2010 06:00:17 AM)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#9 | Back to Top03-29-2010 02:04:56 PM

Shinolala2
Forum's Favorite Mommy
Website

you know the beatles use to wear those so it makes sense that they have made a comeback ever since beatles rockband came out. which is a very fun game. but hey fashion is what you make it to be. i wear alot of tank tops, dress pants, dresses, hats of all kinds, scarfs, and really anything with stripes and i call that fashion, all you really have to do is pick your style and what your comfy in and call it good. thats my opion.

if you have any rgu art request please do ask!
https://www.instagram.com/joyb0mb/

#10 | Back to Top03-29-2010 06:26:43 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

My biggest advice would be to budget first, then buy shit.  You don't have to be rich or anything.  But it helps to be able to actually buy the stuff you want -a bigger budget gives you more variety.

I would give more style advice, but I live in rural Missouri.  Not a pair of leggings, skinny jeans or headbands to be found.  (Also.  Don't let me catch you in Uggs.  We will have words.) I love black t-shirts, form-fitting with dark, boot-cut jeans and heavy shoes (Think black, semi-hiking boots for everyday posing).  Then I dress it up with either a cute, bold pair of earrings (usually feminine looking, since I adore GIANT FLOWER CRAP) and long-waisted sleeveless loosey sweater-vest thingies.

Yes, I have no idea what the terminology is for most clothing items.  emot-tongue

#11 | Back to Top03-30-2010 05:20:14 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

I think the hardest thing about fashion or style for me is that I don't know what looks good on me.  I have spent 4+ hours trying on clothes before and walked away with nothing, because I know so little about style that I don't know what cuts would look good on someone my shape nor what colors go well with my complexion. It's very frustrating, because not everyone has the knack for picking things out, so things like "get what looks good" or "get classics and match with them" doesn't actually help when you don't know what looks good or how to match it.  Even when I've tried looking through fashion advice, I still end up realizing that I don't know the difference between cut A and cut B on sight.

So I feel your pain, Aya, way out of fashion/style over here too. Although as a technical services librarian, I'm expected to be socially inept and poorly dressed, so I suppose it could be worse.

Last edited by Mylene (03-30-2010 05:28:49 AM)

#12 | Back to Top03-30-2010 07:02:36 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Mylene wrote:

Although as a technical services librarian, I'm expected to be socially inept and poorly dressed, so I suppose it could be worse.

A little unrelated: I find that when I dress more feminine or elegant or put on anything that's not the t-shirt + jeans combo, I'm looked down upon by those who think that to be a good historian you must dress as poorly as you can. It pisses me off so much, I can't even tell you.
I don't know if this is as usual in the US as it is here, but Mylene, have you ever tried going to a store and ask for their shopping adviser or personal shopper or whatever the right name for these people is? Large clothing stores around this side of the world usually have a few of them who will offer some free advice. Whether this advice is actually useful or not is a matter how experienced they are and whether they understand what you need or not, but I've got some valuable input from them.

I just got a newsboy cap and I love it to pieces, but I would say that it's not what magazines would label as "in" right now; it strikes to me as something that was more fashionable a few years ago. Still, it doesn't matter at all to me: if you wear it well (read: feel confident while wearing it), it's authomatically in. emot-smile

#13 | Back to Top03-30-2010 10:48:48 AM

ShinraiTenchi
Saionji Slapper

When it comes to dressing well, for me it's a matter of feeling comfortable and looking classy.  Dressing a step above tee-shirt and jeans and looking classy/sophisticated will never go out of style i.m.o xD  I'm very much into anything but the tee-shirt+jeans combo haha.  For girls, I think cardigans and sweaters really do look great as do jeans which compliment their respective body type.  Skirts and dresses also are very attractive in my standpoint.  I'm very much a Banana Republic/Gap kind of shopper but when I want cool tee-shirts I usually check out Armani Exchange since usually A|X sells pretty cool print designed tee-shirts.  I understand that not everyone has the same shopping opportunities though (or budget :X), but stores like Kohls, Macy*s, and other general clothing department stores (even Target has a nice women's department) often offer classy-looking clothing but at a lower price than other stores.  One tip that I have is that something everyone, women and men, should have is a nice coat.  It may require a bit of saving, but having a nice coat really helps the overall look of your outfit when you're out on the streets.

I'm personally not a big colour person when it comes to clothing but everyone has their own personal aesthetic.  Personally, I find more neutral/monochromatic colours to look best on me as opposed to vibrant colours.  There's definitely nothing wrong with them though; they look really good on some people.  So I guess what I'm saying is when it comes to colour just be mindful.  Try on the article of clothing first to see if it really fits in with your own personal taste and if it looks good on you.  I find that you can never go wrong with neutral colours (greys, blues, blacks, whites, beiges, browns etc).  When it comes down to it, style is really all up to you- everyone is entitled to have their own personal style, regardless of what others may think or say lol  When it comes to accessories, the fewer the better in my opinion.  I'm big on scarves personally, but other than that I try to avoid accessories.  A pair of earrings and a necklace look great on a girl if they suit her, but once a girl starts putting on a ton of bracelets, rings, and tons of other accessories it gets a bit out of hand.  The newspaper boy cap doesn't really work on girls a lot of the time i.m.o, but depending on the outfit it could though in general, I'm not a fan of caps on girls.

Last edited by ShinraiTenchi (03-30-2010 11:06:11 AM)

The moonlight carries a message of love.

#14 | Back to Top04-04-2010 09:23:50 PM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

chrisb: Well I know that newsboy caps are popular among male and females.

That's also true where I am! emot-biggrin
Very good street-wear and clubbing-wear at the mome. I love them: so cute. Also those more fedora style hats are in where I live (east coast of Australia), once again for both guys and girls. Even sometimes with feathers. emot-aaa

#15 | Back to Top04-05-2010 10:33:25 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Over here Doc Martens (mainly for girls) seem to be making a comeback, which I have to say fucks me off as all the trendy scenester bastards are wearing them and I just got a nice big ten hole black pair to stomp about in. Also, those big floaty scarf things.
Of course then there's me in torn-up man jeans and vest tops and my nice snug leather jacket, so my advice may possibly be invalid. emot-tongue

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#16 | Back to Top04-07-2010 06:12:26 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

^ I feel your rage, the floaty scarves are sooo stupid lol.

sharnii wrote:

chrisb: Well I know that newsboy caps are popular among male and females.

That's also true where I am! emot-biggrin
Very good street-wear and clubbing-wear at the mome. I love them: so cute. Also those more fedora style hats are in where I live (east coast of Australia), once again for both guys and girls. Even sometimes with feathers. emot-aaa

Haha who knew Texas and Australia had so much in common emot-keke
Fedoras are also semi big here but only among the kinda douchie hipsters, but if worn in a more casual style they're kinda sexy.

Colorful V-necks and a wool beanies are the look right now too.

If you want to see what's considered cool in fashion check out this music video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1v2PtoxwNo

It seems to just be a huge fashion commercial. I'm not that big a fan but I liked some of the clothes the dudes wore and the girls looked cute.

Last edited by chrisb (04-07-2010 06:15:46 PM)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#17 | Back to Top04-07-2010 06:19:56 PM

eleutheria
Saionji Slapper

This may be somehow unrelated, depending on how you see it, but I went shopping for a new scarf today to go with a spring coat, and I was told coral pink is really "in" for this season. Juri's color, ftw?

(Of course, I took a coral scarf. emot-dance)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/maelicia/banner-together1.jpg
"What I'm doing now is taking back what I used to be... I've taken back what I was."

#18 | Back to Top04-22-2011 11:08:19 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

FASHION?  What is this fashion thing you all are talking about? emot-biggrin

#19 | Back to Top04-23-2011 11:07:17 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

While we're contributing fashion websites, I'd recommend checking out LookBook every now and again. It's a pretty good representation of what's "trendy" combined with elements from one's personal style. They've also got a keyword navigation feature, if you're only interested in seeing outfits that incorporate a certain article of clothing or accessory. For instance, I've clicked hats here, so it's displaying all outfits in the archive that include hats, and it's also giving me more categories to narrow down my search, including color, pattern, material, and a list of stores where similar hats can be located.

As for my observations on what's hip this season-- I'd agree that floral patterns are very "in" right now. Scarves are always good in my book, always, but I don't know which styles are particularly trendy right now. I've noticed a lot of navy recently, especially if paired with tans or browns. Coral has been doing well lately, too. Nautical themes tend to make a comeback every summer. Wide belts being worn on the waist (rather than the hips) are very, very "in" right now. Cardigans are doing well, though it's starting to warm up enough here that we probably won't be seeing them again until autumn. Oh, and has anyone else noticed an increase in woven designs lately? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? emot-tongue

I'm no fashion expert of course, these are just some things I've noticed, and they may not apply to your region. There's definitely a cultural element to consider.

Last edited by dollface (04-23-2011 11:11:08 AM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#20 | Back to Top10-29-2013 07:41:20 AM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I need a bit of fashion advice as well. I'm really into the Cabaret Goth look (the male fashion: http://www.blackwaterfall.com/20_cabaret_goth.php), partially because of my love for The Dresden Dolls. I want to look as androgynous as possible. I want to dress somewhat like Marlene Dietrich, but with a more gothy vibe. My problem is that I can't seem to find any places that sell cheaper suits or vests. Or even bowler hats. I'm not sure where to find these kinds of items on a small budget, and I'm really tired of wearing jeans and T-shirts everywhere. Really, really tired.

Also, it's hard for me to find men's fashion that fits me properly. Right now I'm a size XL in men's, but with shirts, the sleeves are way too long, and they just generally look poor and kind of sloppy on me. Should I try shopping in the teen guy's section? I really have no idea what I should be doing; I just know I want to look amazingly androgynous in a dark suit, with some gothy accents to complete the look.

EDIT: Essentially, I'd like to dress like this, except with a bit of red mixed in:

http://s24.postimg.org/4ctq6zh75/Deadfly_Ensemble_1.jpg

The problem is that all the suits I seem to find are EXPENSIVE, and I'm working with a limited budget right now (school loans are draining most of my money, so maybe a new wardrobe just isn't in the cards right now). Still, I think this look is snazzy and I'd love to walk around in clothes like this every day.

Last edited by bella (10-29-2013 09:18:40 PM)

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#21 | Back to Top10-29-2013 10:38:43 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I suck at clothes, but most of the time I've found stuff like that at secondhand stores. Are there any good ones in your area? The best ones to look at are the ones in upper-class-ish areas, as they'll have a better range of high end stuff.

It's a bit of a hunt, though. Sometimes you come back with good stuff, sometimes you come back with nothing. emot-redface

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#22 | Back to Top10-29-2013 10:50:26 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Thanks, Yasha! I never even thought of going to secondhand stores! (That sounds like a great, cost-effective option.) I don't know of any secondhand stores in my area, but I'm sure some exist! I'll start doing some research! emot-smile

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#23 | Back to Top10-29-2013 11:26:51 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

The best parts of town to look in are the wealthier parts, as I mentioned, and the trendier parts. On the whole, I end up paying less for the same sort of thing in the wealthier parts of town, though; the trendy places know what they have and mark things up based on how unique the items are.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Board footer