This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-03-2017 05:16:16 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

New Utena Manga Translation Project

Hey everybody! Gio's finished scanning the manga! We've got two versions-- the small one, for people who just want to see the pictures, and the big one, for people who need to see those tiny side kanji they're always using. Like damn, guys, why make it so hard for us?

We also have a separate download just for the interviews at the end of the manga. I bet they're full of tasty info, so we pulled them out.

Here's the links:

Small version:

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details … ow_Res.zip

Large Version:

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details … gh_Res.zip

And the Interviews:

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details … erview.zip

Okay, so.... I guess let's try to get this readable in English! Gio said she would be willing to replace the Japanese with English, and so did LadyButterflyNebula. So we have that much taken care of-- translations itself and smoothing out into readable, enjoyable English are what's left. Can anyone help out?

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#2 | Back to Top08-03-2017 08:04:35 AM

Leone
New Student

Re: New Utena Manga Translation Project

Hello! etc-love
Hope my friend will be here soon (not sure what time is it in her time zone, haha)

o.t. why so many fapping emojis here? *dead*

Last edited by Leone (08-03-2017 08:08:32 AM)

#3 | Back to Top08-03-2017 08:50:15 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

lol honestly there are so many fapping emojis because they are funny

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#4 | Back to Top08-03-2017 08:57:56 AM

purple-riot
Wakaba Wrangler

Still happy to help! Should we divide it up once we know how many people are involved? The only time I've done a group translation was at university so I'm not sure how best to go about it.

http://i.imgur.com/iGhjT.png?1

#5 | Back to Top08-03-2017 11:15:16 AM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

I would love to help out in some capacity! My knowledge of Japanese is minimal, to say the least, so I won't be of much use during the translation portion of the project. However, if you need an editor/proof-reader, I'm your girl! cool

"Depression, the bereavement of the Past
Anxiety, the imminence of the Future
Contentment, the seduction of the Present
Time flows mercilessly, and I reside on the Island of Denial"

#6 | Back to Top08-03-2017 11:32:57 AM

koleXIII
New Student

Hey everyone!  I was directed here from FB by the Utena 20th Anniversary Fan Page; they said that they were in need of people who could translate Japanese.  I am able to do that and want to help!

#7 | Back to Top08-03-2017 01:53:16 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

We sure are!

We'll probably divide and conquer, I'd love to see the interview with Saito and Ikuhara also translated, although I know it's harder to read that text. If someone's all in to translate it though, and need better copies I will do my best. The pages are very low quality so it's hard to get a good scan from the original.

If someone with good fluency is in to translate the entire manga (plus or minus the interview), that would be ideal obviously, but if people would rather commit to smaller chunks we could do something like distribute pages and then check each other's work in the thread. It's not a super text heavy manga like at all, so it shouldn't be too vicious a project.

Keep in mind too, that Saito is already confirming another installment in winter, which I will also naturally be scanning like a boss as soon as I get it, so it'd be awesome to have some people interested in keeping the project going as long as Saito keeps droppin' mixtapes here.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#8 | Back to Top08-03-2017 05:32:05 PM

koleXIII
New Student

I finished reading through the posted chapter about an hour ago.  You're entirely right in that it's not very text heavy; besides a few of the more intermediate kanji terms, I was able to read through it without much difficulty.  I would be able to work on the manga translation script solo going forward, if the situation calls for it.  I haven't taken a look at the interview yet, so I'm not sure if I'm able to help there.  Bear with me, please!

#9 | Back to Top08-03-2017 07:23:39 PM

purple-riot
Wakaba Wrangler

I haven't got round to reading it yet, but from a brief flick through, I also thought the manga doesn't look so hard to work on. I think I'd probably have some trouble with the interview though.

http://i.imgur.com/iGhjT.png?1

#10 | Back to Top08-03-2017 07:26:56 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Won't be able to take a good look until the weekend proper, but I'll see if I can help once I've read!

EDIT: I went to download the files so I'd at least have them, but once I did from the download links I got in my email, my computer told me the file was invalid. Is anyone else having this problem?

Never mind, I realized what I was doing wrong!

Last edited by Ayu Ohseki (08-03-2017 07:53:17 PM)

"My brother's partner would have to be ‬attractive in face and figure,‭ ‬good at all sports,‭ ‬excellent in her studies,‭ ‬quick-witted, pretty‬ and pure of heart... luxurious and gorgeous, smooth sailing, auspicious for all occasions, born of the Pure Land, a beauty fated to die young, scandalous max, and vexatiously mysterious, at the very least!" --Kiryuu Nanami

#11 | Back to Top08-03-2017 10:44:00 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

OKAY I LIED, I STARTED READING AND THEN I DIDN'T WANT TO STOP, AND...... this manga chapter is a fucking trip?? As a post-anime story it does not make really any sense at all; I get the sense that it's some kind of weird anime/movie/manga? mash-up twenty-years-after AU. It references events that, to my knowledge, never happened in any version of SKU, and is a self-contained story so the lead-up takes a long time, the mid-story beat comes out of nowhere and is just as abruptly dropped, and then the ending is SUPER abrupt. For those looking to know what happened to our beloved cast after the Revolution, I would take this story with a grain of salt.

That said, the art is SUPER pretty, and (speaking to the crowd now here) if you're a fan of Saionji and Touga you'll probably enjoy it all the same--it has a lot of interesting interactions between the two, even if some of them maybe don't make a lot of sense. I actually really enjoyed Saionji in this story, and quite frankly I'd translate it for him alone.

So yeah, I'll get working on a translation proper over the weekend, then post it where appropriate! Probably here? IDK, I'll figure it out. I can't guarantee I'll get the whole thing done because this is a lot of pages, but I'll try! For all my complaints, I did enjoy it... sort of. THIS STORY DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU.

EDIT: ACTUALLY YOU KNOW WHAT it just occurred to me that if we have several people offering to translate, it might be wisest to break up the story in chunks in terms of who's translating what (for example, one person takes pages 1-15, one takes 16-30, or whatever). I already read the whole thing so I can take whatever, but if we're gonna do that, we ought to coordinate that sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Ayu Ohseki (08-03-2017 10:48:14 PM)

"My brother's partner would have to be ‬attractive in face and figure,‭ ‬good at all sports,‭ ‬excellent in her studies,‭ ‬quick-witted, pretty‬ and pure of heart... luxurious and gorgeous, smooth sailing, auspicious for all occasions, born of the Pure Land, a beauty fated to die young, scandalous max, and vexatiously mysterious, at the very least!" --Kiryuu Nanami

#12 | Back to Top08-03-2017 10:45:21 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

"WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON" -me reading this one-shot, several times, tbqh

#13 | Back to Top08-03-2017 11:31:34 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

In my opinion, it's not that intimidating a project, and doesn't need to be split up. I know that multiple people want to help, but I think it's better if one person just steps up to the plate and translates the whole thing, for simplicity and consistency's sake. It could be me, it could be koleXIII, it could be whoever. As far as I'm concerned, it may as well be you, Ayu!

I typed up the Japanese script this evening to help speed up the process. It should also make it easy for other Japanese-proficient volunteers to proofread and double-check the translation, too. Sorry, I wasn't always consistent about labeling who's talking; I was just being lazy and didn't do a second pass. Here you go, whoever wants it.

After the Revolution, Japanese script in text format:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tgv … sp=sharing

I'm looking forward to talking about the chapter, but I can wait until there's an English translation. emot-smile I was hoping for something bonkers, but this was bonkers in entirely unexpected ways.

Last edited by Dallbun (08-03-2017 11:37:20 PM)

#14 | Back to Top08-04-2017 04:54:18 AM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Dallbun wrote:

In my opinion, it's not that intimidating a project, and doesn't need to be split up. I know that multiple people want to help, but I think it's better if one person just steps up to the plate and translates the whole thing, for simplicity and consistency's sake. It could be me, it could be koleXIII, it could be whoever. As far as I'm concerned, it may as well be you, Ayu!

I typed up the Japanese script this evening to help speed up the process. It should also make it easy for other Japanese-proficient volunteers to proofread and double-check the translation, too. Sorry, I wasn't always consistent about labeling who's talking; I was just being lazy and didn't do a second pass. Here you go, whoever wants it.

Honestly, you're right, but with several people willing to step up, I didn't want to step on anyone's toes. Thanks for typing up the script--that's a huge help!

Dallbun wrote:

I'm looking forward to talking about the chapter, but I can wait until there's an English translation. emot-smile I was hoping for something bonkers, but this was bonkers in entirely unexpected ways.

NO KIDDING.

#15 | Back to Top08-04-2017 07:40:31 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Omg y'all are doing God's work right here

I agree if one person is willing to go for the manga that's ideal. Keep in mind there is another chapter coming in a few months so this could be an ongoing effort! As of now I don't know if the new chapter will follow Touga and Saionji but I suspect not, if this was a contained story than she'll probably cycle through the cast, and they just came first because they're her favorites.

I'm working the next few nights so I'll take Touga to work and start stripping the text from my scans. I'll know pretty fast how much help I'd like on that, but given that I already spot cleaned each of these pages with more detail than it'll take to pull down the Japanese, it should be easy work.

If anyone is willing to translate the interview that would be dope as fuck, probably a good place for one of the more experienced translators given Ikuhara hates direct answers of all kinds. Btw, ANYONE ELSE NOTICE HOW FUCKING GOOD HE LOOKS

Bro has been in the garden known as Ohtori Academy this whole time. Or the office of an excellent plastic surgeon.

As for the content I can't speak to the words but I really love how it's kind of a mashup of the different versions of the story, and from what I'm seeing she definitely is taking the best parts of each. Akio being dead is a fun play on the movie, and him offing himself after Anthy leaves is not the most preposterous thing you could say happens. The aesthetic from the show is a welcome stabilizer. If anything feels wrong it looks as though Touga and Saionji are surprised to see each other, which is dumb. Those two are the worst kind of codependent they'll never leave each other's sight.

It'll be interesting what choices she makes if other cast members show up. Touga and Saionji are not entirely different from one incarnation to the next, but what about Juri? Of course if this continued entirely to center on these two I would in no way be unhappy about it. It strikes me as consistent to an effort to market to an age group that would be more likely to consume semi yaoi content also. But if she takes that road I know the English-speaking fanbase probably won't be very impressed, and given the shout out Lady Neb saw, it seems like we're supposed to take this story as closed?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#16 | Back to Top08-04-2017 09:15:00 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

OK, I just finished reading the interview. It's interesting stuff (I laughed out loud at some parts, like Ikuhara literally saying "we made the anime up as we went along" and Saitou basically going "I KNOW AND THAT'S WHAT MADE ME GIVE UP AND JUST WRITE THE END OF THE MANGA ON MY OWN") and it's not toooo complicated, I think? Ikuhara doesn't go all metaphorical at any point, anyway. But, as interviews tend to be, it's a lot of text, and more than I think I can reasonably take on right now. I'll take a stab school-chef at the manga chapter tomorrow.

#17 | Back to Top08-04-2017 09:35:42 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Giovanna wrote:

As for the content I can't speak to the words but I really love how it's kind of a mashup of the different versions of the story, and from what I'm seeing she definitely is taking the best parts of each. Akio being dead is a fun play on the movie, and him offing himself after Anthy leaves is not the most preposterous thing you could say happens. The aesthetic from the show is a welcome stabilizer. If anything feels wrong it looks as though Touga and Saionji are surprised to see each other, which is dumb. Those two are the worst kind of codependent they'll never leave each other's sight.

It'll be interesting what choices she makes if other cast members show up. Touga and Saionji are not entirely different from one incarnation to the next, but what about Juri? Of course if this continued entirely to center on these two I would in no way be unhappy about it. It strikes me as consistent to an effort to market to an age group that would be more likely to consume semi yaoi content also. But if she takes that road I know the English-speaking fanbase probably won't be very impressed, and given the shout out Lady Neb saw, it seems like we're supposed to take this story as closed?

If the next story focuses on Juri, or even Juri and Miki, I'd be all over that TBQH. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing that for sure... This story FEELS self-contained, but there are definitely plot threads left dangling so it's not impossible that we might see a continuation of The New Adventures of Touga and Saionji. As for the two of them being surprised to see each other, I assume you mean when they meet up inside the Chairman's Tower? There's a good explanation for that--the two of them have gone into the same field (purchasing and managing art for galleries) but are working for different people within it and therefore are rivals (AS YOU DO), so they're in Keep Secrets From Each Other Mode. In light of that, the fact that they both react the same way to a mysterious letter (i.e., go back to Ohtori Academy and break into the Chairman's Tower late at night) just shows that, surprised or not, they remain on the same wavelength.

That said, I have my own complaints about characterization, but as long as I can tell myself, whatever, it's a weird mash-up AU, it really doesn't bother me much. (*laugh*) One of the interesting bits in the interview actually talks about how Saitou and Ikuhara don't actually agree on what kind of people Touga and Saionji are, and that even the anime staff all had differences of opinion on what they were like, which IMO explains a lot in light of how these two are characterized here. They're very much like their anime selves, but despite being post-Revolution (or at least claiming to be, the story itself is weird on that point), it's like the Revolution never happened. REGARDLESS, yeah, it feels like a one-shot side story, so I'm hoping the next story will be about Juri and Miki. Or just Juri, I'd be happy with that too. Or maybe Juri, Miki, and Nanami, which would be great--Nanami actually gets a passing mention in this story, but we never find out what became of her, so if this next story is set in the same weird mash-up AU, I'd love to actually get to see her.

#18 | Back to Top08-04-2017 11:27:32 PM

Dallbun

Ayu Ohseki wrote:

As for the two of them being surprised to see each other, I assume you mean when they meet up inside the Chairman's Tower? There's a good explanation for that--the two of them have gone into the same field (purchasing and managing art for galleries) but are working for different people within it and therefore are rivals (AS YOU DO), so they're in Keep Secrets From Each Other Mode.

If I recall correctly, it's also not like they haven't seen each other for years - Saionji makes that comment about Touga being with another woman every time he sees him, so it seems like they've come into contact not irregularly. I'd imagine Touga engineers some run-ins, Saionji's manpride making it impossible for him to just hang out without pretense.

#19 | Back to Top08-05-2017 09:13:50 AM

Wolfzard
New Student
Website

Hi there! Im Wolfzard, i'm new in this forum i was invited by the FB Page "Revolutionary Girl Utena 20th Anniversary" in order to help with the manga translation.

I work as a japanese language translator so i think i can help with it

Yoroshiku!

#20 | Back to Top08-05-2017 10:22:50 AM

Dallbun

Wolfzard wrote:

Hi there! Im Wolfzard, i'm new in this forum i was invited by the FB Page "Revolutionary Girl Utena 20th Anniversary" in order to help with the manga translation.

I work as a japanese language translator so i think i can help with it

Yoroshiku!

Welcome to the forum, Wolfzard - thank you for coming!

There's no single person in charge of organizing the translation, really - at last check-in Ayu Ohseki was going to try translating the manga this weekend. I'd contact her and see where she's at with it. Most likely she'll also be checking this thread as well.

Nobody has yet stepped up to translate the accompanying Ikuhara & Saito interview, and IMO that would be a good use of a professional translator. If you want to jump into something immediately, we'd be very grateful if you took that on.

Thanks again for volunteering your time and efforts!

#21 | Back to Top08-05-2017 05:41:42 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

To be fair, if there's one career they'd both have it's that. Saionji is artsy and Touga is a social snob and art requisition covers both bases. I can see them being civil with each other but still in competition, if with blunted fangs compared to the dueling game.

Also of course Touga still goes through women like a marathon runner through water.

Honestly at surface level this seems like a pretty plausible where are they now scenario, though I probably think so for different reasons than Saito. It doesn't surprise me there was a lot of disagreement about who these characters where especially. Saito as a storyteller, at least at the time, seemed like she was hesitant to flog characters she likes, so she goes comparatively easy on these two while the showrunners tortured the crap out of them, ultimately making them more compelling. I do like the way she's making which continuity if any matters appear vague, but that will get hairy fast once she reaches characters that don't match up as well.

Welcome, Wolfzard! Dallbun's covered it already. It's awesome so many people are stepping up, I remember when the fandom was ten times this size with a tenth the number of translators, hehe.

#22 | Back to Top08-05-2017 07:03:40 PM

Dallbun

Giovanna wrote:

Welcome, Wolfzard! Dallbun's covered it already. It's awesome so many people are stepping up, I remember when the fandom was ten times this size with a tenth the number of translators, hehe.

Yes, Gio. That's because you've been running this site long enough for someone to come into contact with it in high school, go to college and major in East Asian Studies, move to Japan, and then start translating Utena stuff eight years ago or so. You know, speaking completely hypothetically.

Last edited by Dallbun (08-05-2017 09:14:24 PM)

#23 | Back to Top08-05-2017 11:24:16 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Been pretty busy today with various things, so sorry for not checking in sooner! Right now I'm standing at approximately half done, and I think I can have it finished by Monday (Sunday I have plans with a friend). I fixed some typos and added in a couple missing SFX and a missing line in the transcription too--nothing big, though. I'll post it once I'm finished.

EDIT: Actually the back half goes a LOT quicker than the front half, so I just finished! It's 3 AM though so I'll post in the morning. Or... whenever I wake up.

SECOND EDIT: ACTUALLY I had to stay up for a thing so I figured I'd post the link while I was waiting:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wwE … sp=sharing

Last edited by Ayu Ohseki (08-06-2017 01:27:02 AM)

#24 | Back to Top08-06-2017 01:26:36 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Dallbun wrote:

Yes, Gio. That's because you've been running this site long enough for someone to come into contact with it in high school, go to college and major in East Asian Studies, move to Japan, and then start translating Utena stuff eight years ago or so. You know, speaking completely hypothetically.

OMG

It's true!

It might be that I've been doing this for too long.

#25 | Back to Top08-06-2017 01:42:33 AM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Just realized I forgot to do a sweep over the file for any leftover notes, typos, et cetera. Did that just now. Should be okay to read now. It's open for commentary.

Here's the link again, just because: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wwE … sp=sharing

Board footer