This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-06-2009 12:00:36 PM

RadicalSam
Miki Molester
Website

utena manga

my mom mailed them to me recently from her house ( where all the rest of my mangas are) and i read them, i didn't realize there were so many differences to the tv series at the time. and juri in love with touga XD didn't notice that either

#2 | Back to Top03-06-2009 12:43:45 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Re: utena manga

I never did finish collecting the Utena manga... I have the first three volumes, but they are flipped so it's just as well that I didn't finish.  Are the newer editions unflipped? I don't remember...

I also have the Adolescence of Utena manga but only read about half of it... emot-redface

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#3 | Back to Top03-06-2009 06:40:08 PM

gsilver
New Student

As much as I love the TV series, I could never get into the manga. Is it worth revisiting?

A wizard did it.

#4 | Back to Top03-07-2009 11:42:58 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

I never did finish collecting the Utena manga... I have the first three volumes, but they are flipped so it's just as well that I didn't finish.  Are the newer editions unflipped? I don't remember...

I also have the Adolescence of Utena manga but only read about half of it... emot-redface

The white Animerica edition is flipped. The blue edition is unflipped. This means I will eventually own two copies of the manga. emot-gonk

Also, I find the manga has some points in it that make some things of the anime a little clearer or more interesting. Same with the movie manga. (also Utena!sexytimes for the win etc-wankgirl)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#5 | Back to Top03-07-2009 11:49:53 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Lady Chani wrote:

The white Animerica edition is flipped. The blue edition is unflipped.

Good to know, thanks Chani!  What I have are the first three volumes of the Animerica edition.  It's easy to tell part from the regular Viz second edition since those are smaller. emot-wink  One of these days I'll get all five volumes.  I should track them down before they're all out of print.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#6 | Back to Top03-07-2009 04:27:01 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I have the entire thing in Japanese...in storage somewhere. I suppose I'm going to leave them there until my Japanese improves, because I hate reading manga with the translation printed out beside me. emot-gonk I do remember it being quite different the last time I read them, though (probably back in 2001/2002). It never really appealed, to be honest...I mainly got the whole set for the panels with Mikage. Who is only in one volume. I AM JUST THAT COOL. school-devil

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#7 | Back to Top03-08-2009 01:40:35 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

I'm a big fan of the manga. poptart etc-love poptart (+ the movie manga) Why?

The art is gorgeous. The different take/explanation on Akio/Dios is very intriguing.
The ending is mucho beautiful.
The Touga/Juri is funny. Touga=pretty pretty.
Miki...aw...more adorable than ever.
Akio with dark hair. So flippin' hot.
Anthy so mysterious, so passive aggressive. *glomps*
ChuChu, much bigger. And rounder. Looks like a dif creature. Also has a more developed personality. One that hates Saionji even more!
Utena (er orange hair?!) but apart from that...so damn princely.
Characters that don't appear in the anime/movie!
Weird licking of the cheeks!!
Even more drowning!!!

Yeah I love the anime the most, but the manga is awesome. And didn't it come first? So it's like the original incarnation/imagination of the characters and plot? And outfits. Er...is that correct?

#8 | Back to Top03-08-2009 01:54:25 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

sharnii wrote:

Even more drowning!!!

Ah, sharnii, I do etc-love you. emot-rofl

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#9 | Back to Top03-08-2009 06:14:16 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

sharnii wrote:

And didn't it come first? So it's like the original incarnation/imagination of the characters and plot? And outfits. Er...is that correct?

Neither the anime nor manga were the "original" in Utena, whether you're talking about the series or the movie. Be-papas laid the foundational framework of the story and characters as a team, and then Ikuhara did (mostly) what he wanted with the anime, and Saito did what she wanted with the manga.

Ikuhara wanted to make Utena/Anthy even more blatant in the TV series, but he was trying to keep Saito - who objected to the idea of their romance - from noticing that he was doing it anyway. emot-tongue

Note, I don't think Saito is a homophobe. Her commentary suggests she was mainly worried about the profitability of a girl/girl romance in a shoujo project. I guess she relented after the TV series was such a blazing success, because Ikuhara got to do exactly what he wanted with the movie. emot-biggrin

With all that said however, it's important to note that Saito Chiho was the last person to be recruited to the Be-papas, and I think it can safely be said that most of Utena's concept and themes originated in Ikuhara's mind.

Anyway, the result is as you see. Very, very different versions.

Last edited by Aelanie (03-08-2009 08:03:16 PM)

#10 | Back to Top03-09-2009 03:13:08 PM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

I certainly remember that it was thrilling, and Saionji looked like Michael Jackson.

Cedric X Orube: Finally a pairing I can adore!

#11 | Back to Top03-15-2009 04:14:30 AM

FencingCaptain
Rose Smilee
Website

RadicalSam wrote:

... there were so many differences to the tv series at the time. and juri in love with touga XD didn't notice that either

There were a lot of differences. That one detail where "Juri was in love with Touga" isn't exactly what it seems. From Volume 5, Bonus Chapter 1 (Fukaki Ruri Iro no Kage / Deep Azure Shadows), Touga surmises (in his conversation with Ruka after the sparring session with Juri) that Juri didn't really love him; instead Juri saw Touga as a replacement for Ruka's loss when he stopped going to school.

sharnii wrote:

... Utena (er orange hair?!)...

Blonde (or orange if you like) hair on Utena would explain the "pink hair" seen more often in Saitou's other illustrations of her. Pink would be equivalent to blonde hair (like Naoko Takeuchi's coloring of Chibiusa's hair). ^^ A similar rendition showed her with yellow hair instead.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/juri_senpai/public/d-kyoukasuigetsusig.jpg

#12 | Back to Top03-25-2009 03:50:40 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Clarice: Ah, sharnii, I do etc-love you. emot-rofl

Huggles to you! emot-tongue

Aelanie: Ikuhara wanted to make Utena/Anthy even more blatant in the TV series, but he was trying to keep Saito - who objected to the idea of their romance - from noticing that he was doing it anyway. emot-tongue

Wow that's so interesting. Thanks for the info. etc-love
I guess this explains why Utena/Anthy seems so right in the anime...and yet is never ever made fully manifest in any kind of tangible way (er closing posing in the elevator doesn't count school-devil)

PDM: I certainly remember that it was thrilling, and Saionji looked like Michael Jackson.

emot-rofl emot-rofl emot-rofl So true.

Last edited by sharnii (03-25-2009 03:51:19 AM)

#13 | Back to Top03-25-2009 04:17:11 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

sharnii wrote:

(er closing posing in the elevator doesn't count school-devil)

Does too! emot-tongue

#14 | Back to Top04-03-2009 09:47:33 PM

Red Angel
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I've never actually read the whole manga, even though I live through manga. I don't object to the storyline, only to Chiho Saito. (JAY LENO. I cannot unsee the chin!!)

I tried to see the musical, since its the manga with music and no massive chins, but then it was done so badly! I cannot unhear it. emot-gonk

Aren't there only three Animerica volumes? I've never seen anymore than that.  I think the other version of it has the entire run though. (In our closet, I think there's the entire run of it via Animerica Extra issues.) It's behind me in both Japanese and English, and everytime I've opened to the same page in both, I've seen considerably different words, but never really looked through the whole thing that way. :\

I can't bear to read all of it though. I despise Chiho Saito's drawings so much.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/cherry_whispers/signature.jpg

#15 | Back to Top04-06-2009 06:28:23 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

I read the manga before seeing the series and even just from that I got strong hints of an attraction between Utena and Anthy and I also surmised that the relationship between Akio and Anthy was incestuous. Since I don't think I am particularly tuned in to that sort of stuff I am genuinely surprised that no one else picks that up from the manga. I was not at all surprised when I later saw the series depicting both of those things.

Juri on the other hand....

#16 | Back to Top04-07-2009 09:26:12 AM

Leroy
Eternal Castellan
Website

I could also never really get into the manga version.

Ikuhara is what makes Utena for me.

~ Dreaming of my Fire Flower ~

Board footer