This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-07-2009 09:04:47 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Lover's Lanes: hearts across America

So guys, sometimes things don't seem so good for me.  I'm sad a lot of the time, more than normal, and I feel like I'm missing something.  So I'm thinking about doing what red-blooded Americans always do when they feel like they're missing something.  I'm thinking about going on a road trip.

But not just any road trip.  I'm envisioning a ten-thousand-mile odyssey, starting this summer, that would take me from my home in Florida through Texas to Los Angeles and up to Seattle, over through Idaho to Kansas City and Chicago, through the Rust Belt to Pittsburgh and up to Boston, then down to New York and through Charlotte, detouring into Kentucky and Tennessee before finally pitching through Atlanta to return to my starting place.  Or something like that; I haven't really decided yet.  Along the way I'd stop and ask strangers for their love stories.  I want to write a book.  All kinds of love stories that explore all kinds of romantic and sexual love, the good and the bad, the whole variety of human experience -- with me sort of framing the tale with introspection, travelogue, and whatever fragments of wisdom I can shore together from people's experiences.

Does this sound ambitious?  It sounds ambitious to me.  In fact, I'm scared shitless.  Even apart from the fact that I'm an introvert not naturally inclined to go up to people and say "hey, tell me a love story," pitching through the dark sea of America without a lighthouse is asking to be ground into the rocks.  But -- if this goes off the way I hope it will -- it'll be a hell of a story.  The kind of thing you point to if anyone asks what you did with your life.

I'm calling it Lover's Lanes.  If this journey sounds interesting to you, please do visit my blog and subscribe!  And by the way, if you live in America, the odds are pretty good my path will take me near you.  I can't tell you how much I'd appreciate looking forward to a nice place to stay that isn't a Motel 6, just for a night or two.  Any takers?

And any comments?  Is this too crazy to work?  Would people even talk to me about their love stories?  Or would I be better off spending my summer catching up on video games?

#2 | Back to Top02-07-2009 09:22:50 PM

moroschino
Black Rosarian
Website

Re: Lover's Lanes: hearts across America

Doesn't sound crazy to me. Sounds like a fascinating book! It is very ambitious, but that's admirable.

Thinking about your blog post saying people might freeze when asked for their stories, maybe you could plan to take little website/email/blog address cards with you? People could send you their information that way (anonymously if you'd approve of receiving the stories without names).

As for the approaching strangers... This is just tough. The beauty of being master of your own destiny/roadtrip is that you can get the hell outta Dodge if things aren't going well. But you may find that people are touched to be asked. I'd probably be startled but also flattered and thrilled.

As you head north, you're welcome to stop in Eustis.

Also, the Holden Caulfield references? etc-wankgirl Great way to start a project! Good luck.

Funny how the smallest lie
might live a million times.

I Will Steal You Back, Jimmy Eat World

#3 | Back to Top02-07-2009 10:16:10 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

moroschino wrote:

Doesn't sound crazy to me. Sounds like a fascinating book! It is very ambitious, but that's admirable.

Thinking about your blog post saying people might freeze when asked for their stories, maybe you could plan to take little website/email/blog address cards with you? People could send you their information that way (anonymously if you'd approve of receiving the stories without names).

As for the approaching strangers... This is just tough. The beauty of being master of your own destiny/roadtrip is that you can get the hell outta Dodge if things aren't going well. But you may find that people are touched to be asked. I'd probably be startled but also flattered and thrilled.

Very much YES on all of the above! The internet has tons of places where you can get hundreds of business cards printed for under $20 these days, if you're so inclined.

I also think that the business cards will probably help you be able to talk to people. I think it might put them a bit more at ease to know that this is a legitimate endeavor that you're embarking on. At the end of the day, though, this is going to be a lot like working in a call center. Sometimes people will talk to you, others will hang up as soon as you open your mouth. The key is not getting disappointed or unmotivated when it happens because there's too many people in this country for you to get bent out of shape over a few rejections.

Unfortunately, I don't have a place for you to crash. However, if you're in Houston and in need of a sidekick/tour guide/hoopy frood/bastion of sanity, I'm available.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#4 | Back to Top02-07-2009 10:35:05 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Business cards -- what an interesting idea!  It seems oddly unromantic for such a quixotic journey, but you guys are right that it might help put people at ease; rapists don't hand out business cards.  Plus it provides a convenient way for me to give them my email address in case they think of another story later that they want to tell me.  (loverslanes at gmail dot com is all me, baby.)

Moroschino, thank you very much for your kindness!  I think I'll probably take you up on it on my way up; my tentative plan is to swing south through Homestead and then up the east coast of Florida before heading west, and Eustis is right along that path.  And Raven, even if I can't stay with you, I'd love to hang with you and hear your stories!  Maybe you could even point me to a quiet bar or somewhere else where I might have good luck finding interesting interviews.

#5 | Back to Top02-08-2009 11:10:36 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Hey, Satyr, if you're in the Indy area on your trip, you're welcome to crash here.  We've got a spare bed.  emot-keke

I think this is a fascinating idea, and wish you all the best in the endeavor.  Some people are not going to respond to you, no matter what.  But there are other people out there, plenty of them, that are always ready to tell someone their story.  You'll have to learn to deal with rough rejections more often than outpourings of a story, but keep yourself focused and it'll work.

#6 | Back to Top02-08-2009 11:57:32 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

This sounds awesome. There are a lot of road trip type books out there, but I like the theme for this one. It's a really ingenious idea.

20 threads dead so far.

#7 | Back to Top02-09-2009 12:09:59 AM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

oh, how brave and ambitious you are!
you have my admiration.

hm. i'm... here again? catch me in the discord-- im fairybull

#8 | Back to Top02-09-2009 12:12:33 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

You're all so sweet for saying so emot-smile  I hope I have the courage to back up my vision.  Follow my blog!

Anyone want to recommend an inexpensive but highly reliable car that a six-foot-two guy can sit in without feeling cramped?

#9 | Back to Top02-09-2009 01:27:34 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I can't vouch for reliability, but if you can find one of the older style Scion xBs, they're quite roomy and their fuel economy is astonishing. Apart from that I got nothing.

And I've said this already, but just to reiterate, if I have a couch, you're welcome there anytime. I think I will probably have a couch after all, I'm not really willing to give this place up. I look forward to seeing you, and I'll keep track of the blog for updates. emot-keke

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#10 | Back to Top02-09-2009 12:03:10 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Anyone want to recommend an inexpensive but highly reliable car that a six-foot-two guy can sit in without feeling cramped?

I'm guessing the smartass red 'vette answer wouldn't be helpful here. (Although it would get a depressingly large percentage of the population to open up to you.)

I'd say I'm jealous but who am I kidding--if it were me this would be a food tour. emot-keke Best of luck!

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#11 | Back to Top02-09-2009 12:56:17 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Wow, this is the stuff that great American novels (and many the film) are inspired of. What a great idea....it's surely going to be interesting.

I stay in California cool  near the Los Angeles area and while I can't offer you a bed...I can offer to meet up with you and check to see how's your trip going (and not to mention show you all the cool spots ) ...I'm totally going to follow your blog.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#12 | Back to Top02-09-2009 01:22:57 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

lex wrote:

I stay in California cool  near the Los Angeles area and while I can't offer you a bed...I can offer to meet up with you and check to see how's your trip going (and not to mention show you all the cool spots ) ...I'm totally going to follow your blog.

Lex, that's fantastic!  Until your offer I was going from Houston to San Francisco without a pit stop with a friend.  I'll happily take you up on that.  And do follow my blog!  I get a little ego boost whenever my number of "followers" goes up on my Blogspot widget (it currently stands at three -- one of whom I don't know, amazingly enough), though I imagine most people who follow blogs don't use that feature.

Gio, sorry, the red 'vette is a little outside my price range, unless you're offering to donate one emot-wink  I wish I could indulge you, since you're offering me so much help by letting me crash with you near the beginning of the trip.

#13 | Back to Top02-09-2009 01:52:34 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

I'm the little icon with no picture, since I didn't have a blogger account. But yeah totally excited, just let me know when you get here. emot-biggrin Because you can't go straight to San Fran without experiencing "Hollyweird."

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#14 | Back to Top02-09-2009 02:16:10 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Well I'm going to go with something like a Nissan Sentra, a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla. They're reliable as hell and very gas efficient. Not hybrids, since those need special maintaince. But they are kind of small, so I'm not sure they would work? They're also not the cheapest brands, but they are really good cars.

20 threads dead so far.

#15 | Back to Top02-09-2009 09:33:59 PM

Kaelyndra
Pained Growlithe

This sounds awesome. The only thing I can reccommend is to plan way in advance, and try not to drive more than six hours a day. It really makes a road trip so much more awesome to drive less and look around more. And make sure you have someone to call every day or every other day so you have someone you know to reinforce your position and in case something happens.

I might be in a dorm by the time you go on such a trip, but I live and will probably live near the Sacramento area for the next few years. I don't know if you'll be going through there, but if you are, I can probably arrange for you to stay for a night or however long you need.

#16 | Back to Top02-09-2009 10:23:06 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Kaelyndra wrote:

This sounds awesome. The only thing I can reccommend is to plan way in advance, and try not to drive more than six hours a day. It really makes a road trip so much more awesome to drive less and look around more. And make sure you have someone to call every day or every other day so you have someone you know to reinforce your position and in case something happens.

I might be in a dorm by the time you go on such a trip, but I live and will probably live near the Sacramento area for the next few years. I don't know if you'll be going through there, but if you are, I can probably arrange for you to stay for a night or however long you need.

Oooh, Sacramento!  I'd probably be over there... I dunno, late July?  If I'm there around that time will you be able to put me up?  I'd love to stay with you and meet your horses!  emot-smile

I'm not sure how far in advance to plan.  There's something to be said for staying flexible.  I mean, if I take a pit stop in Alamogordo, New Mexico and end up meeting a second-generation Hispanic immigrant who has a unique and tearjerking story about his forbidden romance with his boss's daughter or something, I don't want to have to cut him off because I have to be in Las Cruces by ten.  Conversely, if I leave the Missouri-area minicon with all the IRGers in the state and feel like my work here is done, I don't want to push north to Minneapolis when I would rather be going home.  I think I'll probably have a tentative route planned and not let it bother me if I have to edit that route.

#17 | Back to Top02-10-2009 12:49:04 AM

Kaelyndra
Pained Growlithe

I'll speak with the fellow housemembers and let you know for certain by this weekend. emot-keke It is around 30-40 minutes away from Sacramento in the foothills, but only about 15 from Highway 50 which leads to 80 and I-5 and all of those exciting, giant freeways. There are a lot of neat bay-area backroads you can take if you wanted to come up the coast in California and see if you can get any epic surfer-dude stories, too.

But, yes, I'd quite agree. By plan I mean to say, make a basic idea of where you want to go and pick out places you could stay within a decent radius of there and so forth. You never know if you want to stop early because you're really tired. You sound like you've got it pretty much figured out in terms of adapting to changes for stories and so forth, though. I think you'll do great and have lots of fun.

#18 | Back to Top02-11-2009 03:12:45 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

This is going to be so cool! As for finding folks to talk to hit (not packed) happy hour and spot loners...most of the times people love talking about themselves. Good Luck.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#19 | Back to Top02-11-2009 04:47:16 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

satyreyes wrote:

Or would I be better off spending my summer catching up on video games?

You could always travel AND play video games. Come to Boston / southern New Hampshire! You can start your own Sims lot in Wuzzy Happy Akio Town!

#20 | Back to Top02-11-2009 06:26:52 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Are you inviting me to stay with you, Razara?  I know you've got folks who the idea would have to be run by, but is there a pretty good chance we could at least hang out and do an interview?  emot-smile

#21 | Back to Top02-11-2009 07:04:04 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

This is a beautiful idea. I've been keeping tabs in this thread, but I haven't had any encouraging words to post. I hope it will suffice to say we're all backing you here. emot-smile Best of luck!

If you do come through Charlotte on your tour, I don't think my parents would be too keen on having you stay here, but it would be nice to meet you. Being young and fairly unromantic, I guess I won't have much to share, but I'd like to do whatever I can help you, if at all possible. emot-smile

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#22 | Back to Top02-11-2009 07:13:06 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I will certainly be coming through Charlotte -- my brother lives there -- and I'd like nothing better than to meet up with you for lunch or something emot-smile  Don't worry about not having interesting stories; from the stories you've told on this forum, I imagine you'll come up with something.  What I'm interested in isn't even necessarily stories about relationships.  Crushes are fine... people you're attracted to in fashion magazines and what it is about them... how your understanding of your sexuality has changed as you've dated... I would be fascinated to hear anything like that.

#23 | Back to Top02-11-2009 09:07:05 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

satyr, if you're going to cross into California from Arizona via Interstate 8 in Yuma, you could swing by my place (probably not to stay though, but there's a nice hotel or two very close to my house) and have me and Lady Lortab share our tales with you. We're always willing to have people over; it's always a nice break in the monotony of living here!

PM for details once you have your itinerary worked out! emot-keke

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#24 | Back to Top06-11-2009 09:24:09 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Well, plans have changed a lot as time has gone on.  Notably, I'm not planning to collect love stories from strangers anymore.  It might happen, but it's not the purpose of the trip.  Making that decision stung for a little while, but it was the right call.  The journey itself is going to be challenging enough!  I am, after all, still driving from South Florida to Seattle and back.  It's hardcore.  And scary.  And did I mention I'm leaving in 36 hours?

I decided against taking I-10.  Sorry, southern IRGers who offered to meet me!  I'm opting for I-40 instead, which is less desert and more places to stay.  Moroschino and Stormy are both putting me up at intervals along the way to the West Coast, as are a couple college friends.  Time permitting, I'll detour south to L.A. before driving up to Frisco in time for a friend's wedding; then it's up to Seattle and perhaps Vancouver!  From there... who knows?  I'll probably come home on a more northerly route -- Yellowstone, the Black Hills, the gorgeous upper Midwest... maybe even get as far as New York before finally turning south, stopping in Charlotte to visit my brother (and hopefully chat with dollface!)  From Seattle to Charlotte will be almost entirely improvised, making it the scariest and hopefully the most fun part of the journey.  All told, the trip will last over a month.

I'm hoping to have Internet access almost every night, and I'll try to keep a presence on IRG emot-smile  Nonetheless, I feel like I'm saying goodbye.  I hope you all have a good journey through your own summers!

#25 | Back to Top06-12-2009 03:44:16 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Best of luck on your trip, satyr! Even without recollecting love stories, it sounds really impressive. So many miles!
Take care and enjoy it! etc-love

Board footer