This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top03-07-2013 05:08:03 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Re: Little things you realized after watching this show too damn much

crystalwren wrote:

I got my limited edition Apocalypse saga boxset yesterday! (Am getting a lot of things in the mail lately...still haven't gotten my secret santa gift, though, so it's just me hemorrhaging money as usual) And I've just sat down to watch 'Their Eternal Apocalypse.' During the duel between Utena and Saionji, the lights in the castle turn off. And they turn off with a decidedly metallic and ringing clang. Like someone flicked the light switch in a huge industrial complex. Or else the light switch on a whopping great.... projector.

You just blown my mind; I can't believe I did't realize that in that episode and the rest of the Apocalypse arc.

#77 | Back to Top03-07-2013 05:46:15 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

I checked, and it's not in the original version. Supporting my hypothesis that the current ending was not intended from the start.

#78 | Back to Top03-16-2013 05:48:35 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

I was listening to the movie soundtrack, and I swear I heard "Tell me about your homeworld, Usul" during Rondo Revolution. I guess it makes sense, since Ikuhara is a David Lynch fan.

#79 | Back to Top03-16-2013 05:49:54 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

EDIT: Double post.

Last edited by Atropos (03-16-2013 05:50:07 PM)

#80 | Back to Top03-16-2013 10:33:32 PM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Rosesareawesome101 wrote:

crystalwren wrote:

I got my limited edition Apocalypse saga boxset yesterday! (Am getting a lot of things in the mail lately...still haven't gotten my secret santa gift, though, so it's just me hemorrhaging money as usual) And I've just sat down to watch 'Their Eternal Apocalypse.' During the duel between Utena and Saionji, the lights in the castle turn off. And they turn off with a decidedly metallic and ringing clang. Like someone flicked the light switch in a huge industrial complex. Or else the light switch on a whopping great.... projector.

You just blown my mind; I can't believe I did't realize that in that episode and the rest of the Apocalypse arc.

Atropos wrote:

I checked, and it's not in the original version. Supporting my hypothesis that the current ending was not intended from the start.

^Do you mean the ending to the episode, or the progression of the series from that point as a whole? I was confused myself what point you were referring to, I had to watch the duel twice in order to catch it. I thought the fitting point for such an effect would be when the Sword vanishes, implying that it was actually an illusion after all, like the rest of the fancypants stuff in the arena. This could make for any number of possible plot routes from there...

But I guess it's after Anthy draws Utena's heartsword, just before the duel ends. From that point, I would have to guess that the switch is not the sound of the projector being turned off: rather the equivalent of a reel change at the theater. The illusion isn't meant to end there, merely to progress from one chapter to the next. That's just my theory, but it feels the most sound in my mind.

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#81 | Back to Top03-17-2013 07:31:20 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

I meant episodes 38-39.

According to the commentary on the last disc, the original plan had Anthy vanish and Utena survived. I'd like to see that ending instead etc-love

#82 | Back to Top03-18-2013 08:44:54 AM

ARoseRevolution
New Student

Atropos wrote:

I meant episodes 38-39.

According to the commentary on the last disc, the original plan had Anthy vanish and Utena survived. I'd likeing to see that ending instead etc-love

They should have done it! It would have been cool to have the two different endings they were thinking of represented. The manga also has Utena vanishing. I guess they wanted to keep that part of the story the same.

#83 | Back to Top03-18-2013 11:17:28 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Atropos wrote:

According to the commentary on the last disc, the original plan had Anthy vanish and Utena survived. I'd like to see that ending instead etc-love

I can believe that, since in the opening sequence you see Utena alone at the end. Still, I do think the current ending is good. C:

#84 | Back to Top03-18-2013 12:21:36 PM

Kexx
Miki Molester
Website

Lurv wrote:

Atropos wrote:

I can believe that, since in the opening sequence you see Utena alone at the end. Still, I do think the current ending is good. C:

I like the current ending more... It makes Anthy feel a lot more like an actual character, and it's nice to see a bit of the "real" Anthy before the series ends.

#85 | Back to Top03-18-2013 02:38:30 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Kexx wrote:

I like the current ending more... It makes Anthy feel a lot more like an actual character, and it's nice to see a bit of the "real" Anthy before the series ends.

There's that! I'm not sure how I would feel about Anthy disappearing, but as it is it sounds a bit anti-climatic. Like Utena survived, but her efforts were in vain?

#86 | Back to Top03-18-2013 03:15:40 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv wrote:

Kexx wrote:

There's that! I'm not sure how I would feel about Anthy disappearing, but as it is it sounds a bit anti-climatic. Like Utena survived, but her efforts were in vain?

Maybe they originally intend to have Utena - somehow knowing Anthy is freed post duel - be the one to give Akio the "she has merely left your world" speech?  That would make for a climatic ending.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#87 | Back to Top03-18-2013 05:43:28 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Maybe they originally intend to have Utena - somehow knowing Anthy is freed post duel - be the one to give Akio the "she has merely left your world" speech?  That would make for a climatic ending.

I think something more like this:

Akio: If you leave, you'll only find yourself at the end of the world...you'll never find her.
Utena: I don't care. I'm going of my own free will.

It seems more suited to Utena's personality.

#88 | Back to Top03-18-2013 05:45:55 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Good point. Of course, I have no idea how much they planned in advance. I mean, some stuff are foreshadowed, so obviously they didn't wing all of it, but the earlier comments make me wonder if the castle was supposed to be a projection all along.

Atropos: I like that take too, though that would have made me want a sequel even more. emot-tongue

Last edited by Lurv (03-18-2013 05:46:52 PM)

#89 | Back to Top03-18-2013 06:05:58 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Atropos wrote:

Akio: If you leave, you'll only find yourself at the end of the world...you'll never find her.
Utena: I don't care. I'm going of my own free will.

This sounds very alike to MAkio and MAnthy's exchange near the climax of the Movie.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#90 | Back to Top03-18-2013 06:08:48 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

gorgeousshutin wrote:

This sounds very alike to MAkio and MAnthy's exchange near the climax of the Movie.

Well, MAnthy did inherit many of Series-Utena's characteristics.

#91 | Back to Top04-02-2013 05:47:14 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

I would also like to note that I support the idea of Utena giving the 'stay in your cozy coffin' speech to Anthy after Akio is revealed as a powerless puppet. That's what should have been done in the movie; it would be a nice reversal of things in the TV series.

#92 | Back to Top04-15-2013 04:07:45 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I'm sorry that I did't realize but I skill cant get over Akio's mullet; it absurdly long and a sharp contrast to the more 90s cast of pretty boys(Touga, Saionji and miki)

#93 | Back to Top05-12-2013 06:23:42 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

A discussion at another thread had somehow led to the viewpoint that the original Nemuro might've originally been a teenage boy despite his Prof job and his romancing Tokiko:
http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?p … 48#p252148

At last, I've found some proof that Nemuro might have actually been an adult who regressed in age to become the teenager Mikage:
EP 23
secretary:  You're certainly some kind of special person, perhaps one of the chosen.
secretary:  But the person I fell in love with wasn't a boy younger than me, like you.
Mikage:  I am me.
secretary:  Well then, goodbye.

P.S. The invisible train passing during the student council meeting in EP 22 is totally giving me the Penguindrum vibes.  That, along with the "chosen/unchosen" themes throughout the BR Arc, and the skewered apple Double A Fed Kanae, again confirms to me that much of MP's symbolisms are totally SKU-based.

#94 | Back to Top05-19-2013 08:28:49 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

There are 108 duelists in the show. The eight proper duelists in the present time, and the 100 boys from the Nemuro era.

#95 | Back to Top05-24-2013 02:35:39 PM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

Touga's seiyuu wasn't completely absent from the BRS, he did some voicework in the cowbell episode. That should've been obvious but I guess I never thought about it while watching because I was caught up in the utter hilarity of the episode emot-rofl

#96 | Back to Top05-24-2013 02:38:44 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

BlackBeforeRed wrote:

Touga's seiyuu wasn't completely absent from the BRS, he did some voicework in the cowbell episode. That should've been obvious but I guess I never thought about it while watching because I was caught up in the utter hilarity of the episode emot-rofl

Well, clearly that episode was so important that they had to get him back for that one. emot-wink

#97 | Back to Top06-09-2013 06:34:59 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Wanting to write/gather a overly detailed essay about anthy. This entails,  re-watching the show, re-reading the manga and getting all of the details and explaining them in a academic mannor with, too much edu. reserach. Laying that out and then drawing your own, ideas of what happened to make her the rose bride and why she took/kept the non-controling role. Extra points for showing how she alined her needs to Akio's and filled all; seemlessly. 
I was taken by this idea and I am not even major fan of Anthy's... I go for touga and ruka mostly. So, grad school makes you do crazy things; like for fun essays, even it you don't enjoy academic writting and reserch; however if someone writes this I shall read it.  poptart

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#98 | Back to Top06-30-2013 11:55:01 PM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I just realise they used a Cowbell in Watashi Kuusou Seimeitai as of the bass instruments in the song starting at 2 minute mark into the song which is a bit hilarious when you consider a certain christopher walken quote, someone do a remix with more cowbells......

#99 | Back to Top11-10-2013 12:41:45 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Here's something I saw in this blog post: Utena's name can be translated as "tower of the heavens"...or, more loosely, "castle in the sky." emot-rofl

#100 | Back to Top12-16-2013 04:35:33 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Alright. We know Anthy can disguise her appearance to some degree. We know that, as Mamiya, she was complicit in the corruption of the Black Rose duelists. We see Nanami receiving an offer from Mikage to join the Black Rose Circle, something that is never followed up upon—and you might think that if she met a mysterious yet ominous young man affiliated with "black roses" who targets members of Ohtori's student council, even Nanami might be able to put two and two together.

Moreover, her behavior in this scene is very different from how she acts elsewhere in the episode. She seems cruelly dismissive of Mitsuru, calling him "just a child", whereas elsewhere she acts more like a big sister—telling him to be more of a child on one hand, but supporting him in his time of crisis on the other. One wouldn't expect the girl who does that to embarrass him in front of an authority figure.

Hypothesis: The Nanami from this scene in Mitsuru's BR episode is really Anthy in disguise. Rather, Anthy disguised as Mamiya disguised as Nanami, since Mikage doesn't know his ward's true identity.

Board footer