This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top02-19-2008 09:25:55 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Re: The Lady Nilamarthiel Chronicles, Book One: The Quest for Good Health.

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

Go girl go and Good luck emot-dance  I so need to do something as I can feel my ass spreading as I type.

*gigglesnort* Thanks, my darling. etc-love

I could think of some things you could do with your ass-spreading, but that is IFD-material only. school-devil school-eng101 etc-wankdude

#52 | Back to Top02-20-2008 05:48:44 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Now, don't drive yourself nuts and get on the scale every day or two.

Unless it works for you.

I know people are always like "Don't weigh yourself more than every x weeks," but for some people, it is best to weigh daily.  I'm one of those.  I don't step on the scale going "Ooo, how much did I lose in the past 16 hours," but rather "So, how much do I weigh?" Gain a pound? *shrug* Lose a pound, cool.  Now what happens if I don't weigh myself everyday?

...I gain 9 pounds in less than a month.  So yeah, weighing oneself everyday might not be good for everyone, but it probably shouldn't be dismissed as always bad as long as the person involved has the right mindset for it.

#53 | Back to Top02-25-2008 08:49:23 AM

Mylene

I'm joining you full force starting today, Lady N.  We can do this.

Thin Cherry: A Weightloss Diary

#54 | Back to Top02-27-2008 12:40:38 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Keep it up, you guys! Healthy is good. I want you all to be healthy and happy! etc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#55 | Back to Top02-27-2008 12:46:16 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Good luck, everyone! We're all rooting for you.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#56 | Back to Top02-27-2008 11:59:23 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

*flails happily* You don't have to cut out all carbs, you don't, you don't!

MSNBC wrote:

Potatoes get a bad rap as little more than a waist-thickening waste of calories. But amazing new research puts spuds squarely at the center of the latest weight-loss buzz, along with other unfairly maligned carbs such as corn and rice.

The reason: All these foods contain resistant starch, a unique kind of fiber you’ll be hearing a lot more about. In fact, experts agree that it’s one of the most exciting nutrition breakthroughs they’ve seen in years. “Resistant starch has the potential to become the next hot nutrition trend,” says Leslie Bonci, R.D., author of the “American Dietetic Association’s Guide to Better Digestion.” Indeed, more than 160 studies have examined this little-known nutrient’s remarkable health and weight-loss benefits.

Resistant starch: The new power nutrient
Although this may be the first you’ve heard of resistant starch, it’s likely been a part of your diet most of your life. Resistant starch is a type of dietary fiber naturally found in many carbohydrate-rich foods such as potatoes, grains and beans, particularly when these foods are cooled. It gets its name because it “resists” digestion in the body, and though this is true of many types of fiber, what makes resistant starch so special is the powerful impact it has on weight loss and overall health.

As a dieter’s tool it can’t be beat: Not only does it increase your body’s ability to burn fat, but it also fills you up and reduces overall hunger. Its health benefits are truly impressive as well. Studies show it improves blood sugar control, boosts immunity, and may even reduce your cancer risk.

Resistant starch is bulky, so it takes up space in your digestive system. And because you can’t digest or absorb it, the starch never enters your bloodstream. That means it bypasses the fate of most carbohydrates, which get socked away as body fat when you eat more than you can burn. Here are two more key ways resistant starch can help you drop unwanted pounds:

It ups your calorie burn
Unlike some types of fiber, resistant starch gets fermented when it reaches the large intestine. This process creates beneficial fatty acids, including one called butyrate, which may block the body’s ability to burn carbohydrates. “This can prevent the liver from using carbs as fuel and, instead, stored body fat and recently consumed fat are burned,” explains Janine Higgins, Ph.D., nutrition research director for the University of Colorado’s Adult and Pediatric General Clinical Research Center. In your body, carbohydrates are the preferred source of fuel, like gasoline that powers your car’s engine. Butyrate essentially prevents some of the gas from getting into the tank, and your cells turn to fat as an alternative. One study found that replacing just 5.4 percent of total carbohydrate intake with resistant starch created a 20 to 30 percent increase in fat burning after a meal.

It shuts down hunger hormones
Animal studies have found that resistant starch prompts the body to pump out more satiety-inducing hormones. A meal with resistant starch triggers a hormonal response to shut off hunger, so you eat less. Research shows that you don’t reap this benefit from other sources of fiber.

Fighting disease, one potato at a time
The research on resistant starch doesn’t stop at weight loss. This powerful nutrient is also earning accolades as a major disease fighter from standard bearers such as the World Health Organization. Here’s why scientists around the globe are so excited about its health benefits:

It can prevent cancer
Research shows that the butyrate created by resistant starch may protect the lining of the colon, making it less vulnerable to the DNA damage that triggers diseases, such as colon cancer. It can also create a pH drop inside the colon, which boosts the absorption of calcium and blocks the absorption of cancer-causing substances.

It may fight diabetes and heart disease
Like other fibers, resistant starch helps control blood sugar levels. “Because it skips routine digestion, we see lower blood sugar and insulin levels following a resistant starch-rich meal,” says Christine Gerbstadt, M.D., R.D., C.D.E., spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. Blood sugar control translates into more energy and sustained energy. It also means long-term heart protection, because chronic high levels of blood sugar and insulin cause delicate arteries to become clogged and harden.

It boosts your immune system
“When you have low levels of good-for-you bacteria in your digestive system, it’s very difficult to fight off disease,” says Joanne Slavin, Ph.D., R.D., a nutrition professor at the University of Minnesota. Resistant starch may boost the growth of probiotics, the same kind of healthy bacteria found in yogurt that keep bad bacteria in check.

How to eat enough
Right now, there is no specific target for resistant starch intake. But preliminary data shows that the average American woman consumes about 4 grams of resistant starch each day. Experts such as Gerbstadt believe the research is strong enough to advocate doubling that.

Adding just ½ to 1 cup of cooled resistant starch-rich food per day can do the trick. See “6 Best Fat-Burning Foods” (next page) for ideas, and follow this advice to maximize your intake.

Keep it cool
In cooked starchy foods, resistant starch is created during cooling. Cooking triggers starch to absorb water and swell, and as it slowly cools, portions of the starch become crystallized into the form that resists digestion. Cooling either at room temperature or in the refrigerator will raise resistant starch levels. Just don’t reheat. That breaks up the crystals, causing resistant starch levels to plummet.

Look for fortified foods
A growing number of commercial foods have been bolstered with Hi-maize, the brand name of a resistant starch powder made from corn. You can use it in baking (and lower calories) by replacing up to one-quarter of traditional flour in any recipe without affecting taste or texture (King Arthur Hi-maize Natural Fiber, $5.95 per 12-ounce bag; kingarthurflour.com). Or, look for packaged products that include Hi-maize as another easy way to boost your intake.

6 best fat-burning foods

Beans
Resistant starch: 8 grams per ½ cup
Smart serving suggestions:

Snack on chilled pinto bean dip with crudites
      Substitute hummus for mayo on sandwiches
      Add black beans to garden salads

Bananas (slightly green)
Resistant starch: 6 grams per small piece of fruit

Slice and mix with yogurt and oats for breakfast
      Dip in yogurt, roll in chopped nuts, and freeze as an ice-cream alternative
      Dice and toss with lemon juice, salt, sugar, and onion to make tangy banana chutney

Potatoes and yams
Resistant starch: 4 grams per ½ cup

Serve cold potato salad as a side dish
      Add chilled, chunked red potatoes to a salad
      Puree cooked white potatoes to create a chilled garlic potato soup

Barley
Resistant starch: 3 grams per ½ cup

Add to chilled lentil salad
      Mix into tuna, chicken, or tofu salad
      Sprinkle onto garden salads

Brown rice
Resistant starch: 3 grams per ½ cup
Smart serving suggestions

Order brown rice sushi
      Mix chilled brown rice with fat-free milk, raisins, and cinnamon in place of cold cereal for breakfast
      Add to chilled marinated cucumbers as a side dish

Corn
Resistant starch: 2 grams per ½ cup

Add to a taco salad, burrito, or quesadilla
      Sprinkle into salsa
      Make fresh corn relish

#57 | Back to Top02-28-2008 01:17:43 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

You guys have got the right idea. I'll chime in and say I'm trying to give it a go, but as I still have trouble admitting I have a problem, I'm not sure how much I'll speak up. But in the last three days I've got on the treadmill and done two kilometres at least each time (at least half if not three-quarters actually running), and it feels good to DO something. I'm hoping my mother's new diet will rub off on me too.

We can get somewhere together. etc-love (Incidentally, I'm about 5'3" and weight around eighty-five kilograms -- I think that's about 180 pounds. I live on metric. And damn, I was so scared writing that. The weight, not the lack of empirical. school-devil)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#58 | Back to Top02-28-2008 12:56:25 PM

Mylene

It's great having you join in, Clarice.  It took me a month or so of just sort of testing the waters before I decided to take the plunge.  I found that having a blog where I record my diet helps, because it's embarrassing to admit I've eaten something bad/too much, so it kept me in line for the first few days.  Alas, today I had a naughty lunch, but I'm having a healthy dinner (salmon, leeks, and some mixed vegetables), so I won't feel too bad about it (plus I've been a little under my calorie goal for a few days, so being a bit over will be a good thing).  Four days in, and I already feel much better and cravings for sugary foods have subsided a bit as I've been eating fruit instead.  I restocked the fruit today with strawberries, bananas, grapes, apples (boo, they didn't have pink ladies so I had to get granny smiths), kiwi, and some oranges for Paradox.  I also have some grapefruit already, and I think I've still got some plums in there, but I need to figure out if I like those or not. emot-keke;  Oh, and lemons.  Those are good with a light sprinkle of sugar to get the flavor of sour candy but with some actual good stuff to it.  I used to used Splenda to sweeten them a little, but I think I'll stick with something at least a bit more real now.

#59 | Back to Top02-28-2008 10:48:33 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

*flails happily* You don't have to cut out all carbs, you don't, you don't!

I could have told you that. emot-tongue But really, that's good news.

And what the hell, I might join you all too. Just because it's healthy.

#60 | Back to Top03-01-2008 11:10:38 AM

Mylene

Welcome, Shattered.  Now to work on that Pocky addiction, right?

#61 | Back to Top03-02-2008 01:24:50 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Don't you know it, hon! Actually my weakness is silly candy that I loved as a kid, like "Sparkle Jerry Cherry" Laffy Taffy. Remember when that stuff was still called Tangy Taffy? Chocolate is always a good one too, but that's healthy so it doesn't count.

#62 | Back to Top03-02-2008 08:05:14 AM

Mylene

I haven't had a single piece of candy in a week, and I'm really not even craving it. emot-keke

#63 | Back to Top03-02-2008 12:51:38 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

I've been eating faaaaar too much chocolate this weekend. Yeesh. What I do to curb my cravings is to chew sugar-free gum, like Dentyne Ice. However, if you can't have sugar-free stuff like my friend Inu, regular gum works fine too. :3

#64 | Back to Top03-02-2008 01:58:04 PM

Mylene

That's a great idea, except for me it doesn't work because I can't chew gum.  It causes my TMJ to flare up.  emot-frown  I miss gum, I used to chew it all the time...

I try to drink some water and do something active (even if it's just picking up the around my desk) if I'm wanting food when I know I don't need it, and especially if it's something I shouldn't have.  Thankfully, I haven't actually had any cravings yet since I got into the swing of things, but I'm expecting the end of next week to be a little dangerous due to several factors (including the start of spring break.)

#65 | Back to Top03-02-2008 02:29:53 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

My weekend has SUCKED at the dieting, but oh that curry was good. school-chef

That said, something I'm learning more and more is that I lose weight, overall, faster if I break my diet every other week or so. I don't know if that's the case for everybody, but I'd say it's worth testing out, especially since it's a much needed mental break sometimes. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#66 | Back to Top03-02-2008 05:14:18 PM

Mylene

When I first lost 20 pounds (well, it was the second time, but the first time wasn't intentional weight loss) what I did was count my calories 5 days a week, and the other 2 days I wouldn't count them, which meant I was able to eat whatever I wanted.

This time around, my goal is to go ahead and always count, and try to eat more healthily (the other time I wasn't eating good foods) five days a week, and then on the weekends I'm really allowed to eat 'bad' stuff, but just a lot less of it and trying to keep track of my calories.  Hence today I had Taco Bell and hot dogs (along with some fruit), but as of right now I'm still under my calorie goal for the day (and will likely have some pretzels an an apple or strawberries later).  It's allowing for 'naughty' while at the same time keeping my goal in mind.

Weekdays are easier for eating healthy because breakfast and lunch I can do completely on my own without worrying about what Paradox wants, and then dinners I'm usually a bit more in the mood to cook so at least every other meal is moderately healthy (I mostly do homemade stuff, so I know what all is in it, even if it's a little heavy calorie-wise.)

I know that once or twice a month (or however often) there are going to be times when I can't keep track of my calories.  Perhaps we've got out to eat a restaurant that doesn't provide nutrition info, or we're at a family member's house, and that okay.  I'm  not going to beat myself up for a bad day.  I just might make myself do a little extra exercise the next day to make myself feel better. ^_-

#67 | Back to Top03-02-2008 05:29:41 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

I just had a huuuge chicken Caesar salad. Thankfully, you can eat as much salad as you could possibly want, as long as you keep your dressing in check. Yummy. etc-love

#68 | Back to Top03-02-2008 05:30:26 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I really shouldn't be giving advice, seeing as I eat very unhealthily and sleep very little, as little as I possibly can and survive, and am dropping pounds like a motherfucker due to my bad habits and active workday.

That said, everyone needs to keep in mind that a diet is a short term solution that doesn't really solve anything at all, where a more complete solution is a lifestyle change. By all means, count calories and cut down on portion sizes, but when you make a change, keep in mind that it should be one that you can live with permanently. It's probably been said before, but it can never be restated enough. Being healthy permanently means permanent changes.

I have confidence in you guys. Maybe I'll join you all someday, but attempting to be healthy usually backfires horribly on me.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#69 | Back to Top03-02-2008 05:40:12 PM

Mylene

Oh, I'm not on a diet. emot-keke  Counting calories is a quick way (takes maybe 15 minutes total to keep track of it all each day) to keep me mindful of how much I'm consuming versus what I'm expending.  If I don't actually track it, I'll easily eat 3k (or more) everyday.  If I see my food consumption in front of me, it makes it easier to say, "Okay, so maybe an apple rather than a cupcake for a snack, methinks."

Last edited by Cerise (03-02-2008 05:40:49 PM)

#70 | Back to Top03-02-2008 05:49:20 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Heh, that diet mindset is something I run into all the time (emot-mad MOTHER emot-mad) so I figured I would throw it out there as a general reminder. My mother eats about four times as much food as I do and then wonders why, when she gets off a diet, she promptly starts gaining weight. emot-keke

#71 | Back to Top03-02-2008 05:56:01 PM

Mylene

My mom's the same way.  She keeps going on starvation diets (700 calories/day...AWFUL) and then can't figure out why she has no energy, and as soon as she stops she balloons up.

#72 | Back to Top03-02-2008 08:05:25 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

That's the kind of thing that made me post about lifestyle changes. People seem to think that you can use a quick fix to get healthy, and that's just not so. Being healthy permanently means permanent changes.

Which is why I'm not jumping on this bandwagon just yet. I smoke, I drink (too much, but nowhere near as much as when I bitched about it last), I sleep very little, and my eating habits are shocking. It would take a change in my entire life to get rid of any of these, and I just can't do that right now. I smoke because I need stress relief, same with drinking. I sleep so little because I need time to accomplish everything I need to do. I eat so little and so unhealthily because I don't have the patience to make three meals a day plus snacks, and my body is trained to one smallish meal a day, so I get sick when I have much more. It would take a change in the way I do things to make this all go away, but it's a change I can't make right now, because for now I need the extra time that living unhealthily gives me.

I'm avidly cheering you all on, though. Let's see some progress reports. emot-keke

#73 | Back to Top03-02-2008 08:10:53 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Kudos to all those participating.  The key to success in any life change is a good support system, be it online or IRL.  Trufax.  school-eng101

So I did the home body fat test that Shattered linked, and here's my results:

Home Body Fat Test wrote:

You have 26.9% body fat.

You have 53.8 Pounds of fat and 146.2 Pounds of lean (muscle, bone, body water).

Seeing as the healthy normal level for me is 22% (I'm a white girl), I'm... sorta neutral about the results.  I've always been a "big girl," after all.  I ballparked my weight as 200, but that's only because I don't own a scale--the last time I was weighed was mid-January, and I clocked in at 209.  But then again,  I was on a mandatory liquid diet for a month (from late January through most of February) due to my jaw surgery, and it's only been within the past two weeks or so that I've been eating "normal" food, so I'm sure I've lost a little weight.

I'm not sure how I'm going to approach food as I get better.  Really, at this point in time, it's more about what I'm able to eat.  I've been eating a lot of rice- and pasta-based dishes because they're easy to chew.  This is frustrating because it's hard to find a good variety of easy-to-eat veggies (who knew I'd find myself missing salad?).  I mash what I can mash, steam what I can steam, and live with canned veggies in the meantime.  Also, when I'm back to 100%, there's a lot of food I've been missing that I want to eat, not all of it healthy.  But all told, my eating habits aren't terrible.  The dietician at my doctor's office told me so.  school-chef

Exercise-wise, it's hard to find fun, easy, inexpensive stuff.  I like going outside and biking, but that's hard to do in the midst of a Michigan winter.  Shoveling snow qualifies as exercise, I'm sure, but it doesn't snow every day here (thank gods).  Even if I did have the money, I'd be reluctant to join a gym because I'm a little self-conscious.  If I had a nice set of free weights, I think that'd help me get on the right track.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#74 | Back to Top03-03-2008 02:37:08 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Yasha wrote:

That's the kind of thing that made me post about lifestyle changes. People seem to think that you can use a quick fix to get healthy, and that's just not so. Being healthy permanently means permanent changes.

Word. This is why I've struggled, because I've never wanted to lose weight badly enough to actually make the change. I think it's because I didn't gain weight until I was fourteen or fifteen years old. Before that, I was a tiny little kid. I just got lazy, and my mother (who has always struggled with her weight) pretty much gave up on trying to cook as healthily as she could. So...yeah. I'm still stuck with this perception of myself as largely normal, but whenever I look in a mirror I get upset. But then I look away and think: "Does it matter?" This is something I have in common with a friend of mine who is undergoing weight loss surgery soon -- she's freaked out in good and bad ways. One thing she realised is that being thinner will mean she'll probably have to accept her sexuality more, and I am the same. What I worry about, though, is that if I make myself thinner, will I just be disappointed? Because I generally pretend to myself that I don't come across as attractive because I'm overweight. I'm terrified of being thin and realising it wasn't the weight, it was just me.

...this is probably a childhood thing, given when I was small and skinny and young I still got rejected by boys. Boys are stupid. (Sorry, boys! I love you anyway! emot-tongue)

[coughs] Anyway. I sell and counsel people on weight loss drugs, and believe you me -- they only work either as long as you take them (e.g. Reductil) or if you change your lifestyle (e.g. Xenical). Of those two, I go by Xenical. Why? Reductil is the appetite suppressant, whereas Xenical is, quite simply, a filter. It stops your body from absorbing excess fat from what you eat. It means if you eat the naughty fatty stuff, it goes right through you. As fat is liquid at body temperature YOU CAN IMAGINE THE RESULTS. emot-gonk But seriously, as negative reinforcement? It's cool. And Roche, the manufacturer, knows if it's not there people might forget, so they have a fantastic support programme that is ALL ABOUT CHANGING LIFESTYLES PERMANENTLY. The drug is just a support net. Nothing more.

Not surprisingly, when I explain this to people, they go for the Reductil. Because it makes them not hungry. Argh. emot-frown

Anyway, my own progress: slow. I haven't weighed myself recently. I'm just trying to ease myself into exercising, and as I've exercised for thirty minutes four out of seven nights this last week, I think it's okay. I want to change my attitude to exercise, and as I am enjoying it so far? I think that counts as a win. My mother is also doing the Points system on Weight Watchers, so that is forcing me to eat at least a little healthier. I'm not concentrating on food yet. Although, I did take to heart something Weight Watchers said about slowing down and experiencing your food. I am a rapid eater and I am usually distracted when I eat. Hence, I tend to overeat and don't realise I'm full until I'm well over the limit. So...looking at food a bit differently seems to be helping. I'm already snacking less because I think: "I don't ACTUALLY want that." so...yeah!

Oh, and a water bottle is invaluable. I did a crazy detox diet one for ten days (I got the kit for free from work, and thought it would be a laugh) and was always getting hunger pangs. I drank water whenever it happened, meaning I flushed my system out something crazy AND stopped myself from snacking. My skin loved me for it. I might have to start that again. etc-love

I hope everyone else is having a good day. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Oh, and because others have done it and I might as well own up:

You have 28.6% body fat.

You have 24.3 Kilograms of fat and 60.7 Kilograms of lean (muscle, bone, body water).

I think that's close to what it was last I had it done. emot-gonk

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#75 | Back to Top03-03-2008 06:10:30 AM

Mylene

mercurynin wrote:

Exercise-wise, it's hard to find fun, easy, inexpensive stuff.

Here, here.  I detest running, it's very cold for walking right now, I still haven't found a tennis court in my area (plus, the nets are likely down and Paradox gets home a bit late for playing tennis in the evenings anymore anyway, particularly since we don't have a court within walking distance), and I'm entirely too self-conscious (and cheap) to join a gym.

What I've done is purchase a recumbent exercise bike and I ride it while watching anime.  This has worked fairly well off and on in the past, it just depends on when I start going, "Oh, I don't feel like it today," and slowly I stop.  But really, since I generally choose an anime that's high energy and that I want to watch, I limit myself to only watching it while I'm on the bike.   So if I want to finish, I've got to get my lazy self on the bike. :p

With really high energy shows (like Kaleido Star and Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040) I would generally ride for 2 episodes, sometimes 3, giving me at least 50 minutes of riding followed up by crunches and pushups.  Now I'm watching Kodocha, so I only ride for one episode, but thus far I've done much better of doing it everyday except Friday (when I'm away from the house all day), followed up by a slowly increasing number of crunches and pushups.

I'm still not all that fond of riding, but I do feel good afterwards, and it is really easy to pop in some anime, sit down, and ride for 25 minutes.  And since it's recumbent, it's easy to focus on the screen, so I still get to watch 'em subtitled. ^_^v

Board footer