This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-04-2015 10:38:56 AM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

My Absolute Evolution Revolution

Hey, all! I'm currently programming a text adventure that is sure to please SKU fans. The game, My Absolute Evolution Revolution ~ Astragalous Earth Backgammon ~, will feature a mixture of otome and RPG elements, with the protagonist free to fall in love, play fencing, and participate in the duels.

Summary:
You are Dan Keira, a university student who has just transferred to Ohtori Academy (I believe the manga mentioned that the school had an on-campus college program). After settling down to dorm life, you begin to enjoy the various activities available to you on campus, romancing your way into someone's heart, participating in extracurricular activities, and even solving a mystery or two. I mean, what's up with the Forbidden Forest?

Features:
Point System - Gain skill points by practicing fencing, kendo, etc. on numerous occasions, as well as relationship points when you interact with the cast members of SKU
Shift System - Characters periodically change location, allowing you to interact with them and observing cast members' behavior in different situations
Duel system - Join the duels the End of the World is hosting, and seek the Power to Revolutionize the World

I would really appreciate having a few high-tier fans write the characters' scripts. I would rather this be an accurate adventure than a fulfillment of my own fangirl fantasies...

Last edited by DorianGray345 (05-08-2015 03:54:20 PM)

"Depression, the bereavement of the Past
Anxiety, the imminence of the Future
Contentment, the seduction of the Present
Time flows mercilessly, and I reside on the Island of Denial"

#2 | Back to Top05-05-2015 08:14:31 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Re: My Absolute Evolution Revolution

Sounds fun! I love otome games. Can we change the protagonist's name if we want?

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#3 | Back to Top05-06-2015 05:29:15 AM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

Once I figure out the programming necessary to do so, then yes, you can. emot-biggrin

#4 | Back to Top05-08-2015 03:44:51 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Sounds like a dude name. Is it going to be male-specific or would you be able to play a girl? I don't really mind playing dudes, but I prefer playing chicks when possible.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top05-08-2015 03:52:48 PM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

Yasha wrote:

Sounds like a dude name. Is it going to be male-specific or would you be able to play a girl? I don't really mind playing dudes, but I prefer playing chicks when possible.

I was actually intending it to be female-oriented! emot-aaa

I have it set where players can select their gender and name at the beginning. Think of it as Four Days in Ohtori 2.0, with more characters to romance, and a nearly-endless range of time to interact with them! The plot will take place across two semesters, so you can develop genuine relationships with the cast members.

I was actually curious, Yasha, if you wanted to help write some of the dialogue. I presume that you and Giovanna are familiar enough with the show that you can, essentially, "become" one of the characters.

#6 | Back to Top05-08-2015 04:04:50 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Oh man, this sounds awesome!  Definitely way better than the Utena text adventure I unleashed on the forum years ago.  emot-biggrin  Can I ask IF geek questions?  Is it parser fiction or something else?  What engine are you using?

I wouldn't mind attempting to write a couple scripts, depending on how much work is involved.  I've written very little serious SKU fanfiction -- the stuff I've done has been more in a humorous or parodic vein -- but I think I could manage a pretty good impression of some of the cast.  (Or I'm happy to look over stuff you've written and say "Utena wouldn't say that, it's too witty.")

Last edited by satyreyes (05-08-2015 04:05:30 PM)

#7 | Back to Top05-08-2015 04:11:26 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

There's me, thinking the name is Anglo rather than Japanese. emot-redface

I would love to, but I don't want to make promises I can't keep and I always have a lot going on. Touga's the easiest one for me, so let me know when you need him. I can probably rip out some dialogue with a minimum of prep and revision. Gio's better with Akio and Saionji, but I can't speak for her. In the event that she can't help, we can talk about me consulting on those two.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#8 | Back to Top05-08-2015 05:54:10 PM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

satyreyes wrote:

Oh man, this sounds awesome!  Definitely way better than the Utena text adventure I unleashed on the forum years ago.  emot-biggrin  Can I ask IF geek questions?  Is it parser fiction or something else?  What engine are you using?

I wouldn't mind attempting to write a couple scripts, depending on how much work is involved.  I've written very little serious SKU fanfiction -- the stuff I've done has been more in a humorous or parodic vein -- but I think I could manage a pretty good impression of some of the cast.  (Or I'm happy to look over stuff you've written and say "Utena wouldn't say that, it's too witty.")

Oh, so you're the one who made Miracles Never Cease! I must admit, your text adventure inspired me to make my own!

1) I'm assuming that by "parser" you mean "text-input only"? If so, then kind of - the program I'm using allows you to use hyperlinks and/or text commands.
2) I downloaded Quest, which, basically, uses HTML to create text adventures, and you can switch from code-view to the point-and-click view and vice-versa. I know some HTML coding, but any shortcuts are to be utilized!

If you want to help, I'd appreciate it! You can just pick a character to portray, and I can give you responses to which "you" reply. If each of us does a bit, I'm sure we can make this ambitious project succeed!

Yasha wrote:

There's me, thinking the name is Anglo rather than Japanese. emot-redface

I would love to, but I don't want to make promises I can't keep and I always have a lot going on. Touga's the easiest one for me, so let me know when you need him. I can probably rip out some dialogue with a minimum of prep and revision. Gio's better with Akio and Saionji, but I can't speak for her. In the event that she can't help, we can talk about me consulting on those two.

Of course, any help is welcome! I understand if you are busy - I just finished my Spring semester at college, so I have some time to spend on this project. If I ever need you, you'll be hearing from me!

#9 | Back to Top05-08-2015 09:01:10 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Oh cool!  I've never used Quest, but I understand it's pretty flexible and at the same time easy to use compared to Inform 7, which is what I used to write Miracles Never Cease.  It's cool that you played my little game, by the way! emot-smile

I'm reading between the lines here, but is this your first interactive fiction project?  That's so exciting!  It's a lot to bite off for a first game, but I'm sure you've been through that already in your head.  Definitely let me know when you need dialogue, and I'll help out!  In the meantime, good luck!  emot-biggrin

#10 | Back to Top05-08-2015 09:25:25 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I don't know if you'll be including minor characters, since this is already a pretty big undertaking, but if you are, I'm happy to provide answers for Ruka. I've been told I have a pretty good grasp on his character.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#11 | Back to Top05-09-2015 05:56:33 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

I don't have a good grasp on any of the characters but I'm excited about this! Do you plan on having any graphics (backgrounds and the like)? If so, I could do some legwork, like vectoring stuff, but my schedule is quite packed so I can't guarantee anything emot-frown .

#12 | Back to Top05-09-2015 08:41:01 AM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

satyreyes wrote:

Oh cool!  I've never used Quest, but I understand it's pretty flexible and at the same time easy to use compared to Inform 7, which is what I used to write Miracles Never Cease.  It's cool that you played my little game, by the way! emot-smile

I'm reading between the lines here, but is this your first interactive fiction project?  That's so exciting!  It's a lot to bite off for a first game, but I'm sure you've been through that already in your head.  Definitely let me know when you need dialogue, and I'll help out!  In the meantime, good luck!  emot-biggrin

Yup – pretty ambitious, huh? And you’re welcome. emot-keke

I’ll definitely be calling on you soon! I’ve got the crux of the build down – all the locations, basically – so we can begin working on dialogue ASAP! I’m moving on to the little things, now, like objects, characters, and descriptions. I’ll be messaging you soon!

P.S. – Which character(s) do you wish to portray?

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I don't know if you'll be including minor characters, since this is already a pretty big undertaking, but if you are, I'm happy to provide answers for Ruka. I've been told I have a pretty good grasp on his character.

Oh, absolutely! I plan on including every named character from SKU in the game – minus Mr. and Mrs. Ohtori – so don’t worry! If you would be willing to portray Ruka, I’d really appreciate it! emot-keke

Snow wrote:

I don't have a good grasp on any of the characters but I'm excited about this! Do you plan on having any graphics (backgrounds and the like)? If so, I could do some legwork, like vectoring stuff, but my schedule is quite packed so I can't guarantee anything emot-frown .

Thanks! emot-keke

It would be nice to have backgrounds and character images, in order to make the experience more immersive. If you wanted to provide any graphics, I’d be happy to include them in the game!

#13 | Back to Top05-22-2015 08:04:24 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Hey Dorian, I'm sorry, but I won't be able to help out with this. I'm a bit overcommitted. I know someone who might, though. Do you mind if I mention this to her? She's not a forum member.

#14 | Back to Top05-26-2015 11:08:17 AM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

Yasha wrote:

Hey Dorian, I'm sorry, but I won't be able to help out with this. I'm a bit overcommitted. I know someone who might, though. Do you mind if I mention this to her? She's not a forum member.

Of course! I'd appreciate it. And that's okay; we're all busy!

#15 | Back to Top06-26-2015 02:00:54 AM

Winter
New Student

Hey, it's taken me a while to get up the gumption, but I'm here and I'm willing to write dialogue for Touga, Akio, and Saionji. If you need audition material, here it is. Thanks Yasha for letting me know about this.

Board footer