This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-02-2006 10:03:43 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Utena and seiyuu.....

I just finished another rewatch of Utena and had bought Gundam Wing DVDs a while back and never watched them, so I thought I'd try them out. It was fine up to the point where the OZ craft spots the Gundam capsule in space and the guy turns to Zechs and tells him what's going on.

Apparently I did not anticipate the Koyasu Takehito dilemma. I had to turn it off, screaming in terror.
I'm sure it'll get worse when Heero shows up...without pink hair and rose-colored glasses.

Anyone else experienced this? XD

#2 | Back to Top11-02-2006 10:34:13 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Re: Utena and seiyuu.....

Also recall that Keiichi Morisato's sister is.... Anthy Himemiya???

My favorite seiyuu encounter was when watching Magic Knight Rayearth for the first time, and lo and behold, the little faerie who was constantly pining over Lantis and didn't like Hikaru was... Nanami??? emot-biggrin  To this day I cannot hear Yuri Shiratori and not see Nanami.  Shiratori is Nanami to me.  Except for Hatoko from Angelic Layer... she changed her voice enough for that role, so at least Hatoko isn't Nanami.. that would be slightly awkward. emot-wink

I remember when I first noticed that Touga was Zechs on a repeat viewing, after having seen each already.  I think it was my first seiyuu match as my anime collection grew and I started to recognize voices.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (11-02-2006 10:37:58 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#3 | Back to Top11-02-2006 10:36:47 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Oh god

Oh god, it's seared into my consciousness

Oh god

Takehito, why? Why did you do it? Why, why, why????

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/hanagata.jpg

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTARU-KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#4 | Back to Top11-03-2006 05:20:12 AM

Joku_Krypfto
Saionji Slapper

So, there I was, watching this anime called Kaleido Star, because some people had told me it's really good. Well, I dunno about good, the few episodes I've seen haven't made much of an impression on me, one way or the other. Except for one thing: There was this one character there, a lecherous action-figure sized jester spirit who's always trying to get to see the main character naked, y'know, saying "You seem tired, you should take a shower, and don't bother to lock the door" and things like that. And, well, he has Touga's voice.

I kept giggling for hours.

Oh, and seriously, what the heck is up with Kotono Mitsushi? It just ain't natural, I tell you. She voiced Juri in SKU, yeah? A serious and solemn character. Nothing funny about it. Well, she also voiced such characters as Sailor Moon, Excel from Excel Saga, and... Ebichu, the house-keeping hamster. Seriously, what the heck?

Originality is nothing.
Hypertextuality is everything.
Obey your hypertextuality.
☞ MOKUSHIKUSHIMOSHIMOKUKUMOSHIMOSHIKUSHIKUMO ☜

#5 | Back to Top11-03-2006 06:00:18 AM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Touga: MIAKA!!!!!
Mikage: MIAKA!!!!!!

Yeah I found out Juri's seiyuu was Excel a few days ago, when I was randomly looking up seiyuu (I just saw Excel Saga a few months ago). emot-gonk

#6 | Back to Top11-03-2006 07:02:03 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

Ahahahahahaha.

Actually Zechs was no surprise. I tend to assume any and all long-haired bishonen are played by Takehito. I'm still surprised he wasn't playing Allen Schezar. Although on the Escaflowne note, I was watching that series for years before I figured out who Dryden was. emot-redface

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top11-03-2006 07:15:54 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Touga also is Lord Il Palazzo from Excel Saga. cool
Seriously, that man has so many roles I don't even bother to count them all. He even plays not one, but two roles in Evangelion.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#8 | Back to Top11-03-2006 08:02:30 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

You know Shiori's boyfriend, the guy who gets one line and no name? His voice actor gets a lot of big roles. My sister was playing a dating sim called Hourglass of Summer, and his voice actor is the main character.

Juri's voice must have either been very difficult for her voice actress, or a relief, because she usually gets the rolls of characters like Sailor Moon and Excel. Mikage is Zelgadis in Japanese, but Touga is Zelgadis in English. Miki's voice actress is Yuki from Fruits Basket, as well as Ami from Sailor Moon, and a million other characters. Utena is Misuzu from Air.

I'm not familiar with any of the other roles that Shiori's Japanese voice actress has, but in English she's Lisa Ortiz, one of my favorites. She does the voice of Lina Inverse, so if I have to watch the dub for whatever reason, I expect something like this to happen:

Shiori: "Wait, Tsuchiya-senpai, please! *Gets annoyed* Dragon Slave!" *Ohtori Academy is destroyed*

#9 | Back to Top11-03-2006 09:15:14 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Razara wrote:

Utena is Misuzu from Air.

And Hikaru from Hikaru no Go, and Soi Fong from Bleach, and Rosette from Chrono Crusade, And Kris from Battle Athletes, and-- obsessive? Who, me?

#10 | Back to Top11-03-2006 09:48:03 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Hina the Prince wrote:

Razara wrote:

And Hikaru from Hikaru no Go, and Soi Fong from Bleach, and Rosette from Chrono Crusade, And Kris from Battle Athletes, and-- obsessive? Who, me?

She's Rosette? :0 I'll have to watch that in Japanese when I get the chance. I always watch it in English for the 20's slang.

Here's a place where you can find all of the Utena seiyuus:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo … php?id=207

#11 | Back to Top11-03-2006 11:24:31 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Most of the awesome ones have been mentioned -- Utena and Hikaru, Touga and tons of people, Juri and tons and tons of people -- but I thought I'd add that Miki was Sailor Mercury at the same time that Juri was Sailor Moon.  Ikuhara likes hiring cronies, evidently emot-smile

Also, as has been mentioned, Sailor Moon, Excel, and Ebichu were all voiced by Juri, and so was Misato from Evangelion.  And Mink from Dragon Half.  It's surreal.

#12 | Back to Top11-03-2006 11:46:24 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

satyreyes wrote:

Also, as has been mentioned, Sailor Moon, Excel, and Ebichu were all voiced by Juri, and so was Misato from Evangelion.  And Mink from Dragon Half.  It's surreal.

Don't forget Mireille from Noir.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#13 | Back to Top11-03-2006 12:50:40 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Yasha wrote:

Takehito, why? Why did you do it? Why, why, why????

I'm still amazed that he could do it. His voice is nothing if not impressive!

Incidentally a character he voices for another Gundam series (Destiny) has a pretty great relationship with a character voiced by Kotono Mitsushi/Juri that always makes me happy when I hear them talking to each other.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#14 | Back to Top11-03-2006 01:22:47 PM

Christi_Morelei
Touga Topper
Website

For all of you who are screaming, "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT, TAKEHITO NOOOOOOOOOOO" the answer is because he is Koyasu-motherfucking-Takehito and he can do whatever the damn hell he wants. That's like freaking out because Ishida Akira (Athrun Zala, Gaara, Kaworu Nagisa, Cho Hakkai, etc.) was the voice for Fish Eye in the Sailor Moon anime. Wrap your heads around that one, kids.

I believe the voice actress for Utena also did Soi Fong in Bleach.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

#15 | Back to Top11-03-2006 02:13:36 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Christi_Morelei wrote:

For all of you who are screaming, "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT, TAKEHITO NOOOOOOOOOOO" the answer is because he is Koyasu-motherfucking-Takehito and he can do whatever the damn hell he wants. That's like freaking out because Ishida Akira (Athrun Zala, Gaara, Kaworu Nagisa, Cho Hakkai, etc.) was the voice for Fish Eye in the Sailor Moon anime. Wrap your heads around that one, kids.

I'm only screaming because I couldn't etc-wankgirl for days after hearing that and recognizing him. emot-frown

To be honest, he did a great job of it. I couldn't tell until my brother pointed it out. But still... my poor libido emot-gonk

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#16 | Back to Top11-03-2006 02:19:09 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Christi_Morelei wrote:

That's like freaking out because Ishida Akira (Athrun Zala, Gaara, Kaworu Nagisa, Cho Hakkai, etc.) was the voice for Fish Eye in the Sailor Moon anime. Wrap your heads around that one, kids.

The man who voices Xellos the Mysterious Priest can do anything! etc-love

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#17 | Back to Top11-03-2006 02:33:16 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Razara wrote:

Hina the Prince wrote:

Razara wrote:

She's Rosette? :0 I'll have to watch that in Japanese when I get the chance. I always watch it in English for the 20's slang.

Here's a place where you can find all of the Utena seiyuus:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo … php?id=207

And let us not forget she's the leading lady in Futari Ecchi.  I learned something very important from that show--Kawakami Tomoko just doesn't know how to do sex sounds.  Even as someone who's never watched another hentai, I could still figure that out pretty fast.  Cracked me up when I looked up info for the series and saw that as a complaint several people had.

I've always been a fan of looking up the seiyuu for various characters.  My husband and I have a bit of a game of it, to the point that I'll pause a DVD, run upstairs to get on the computer to verify the voice that we're hearing is who we think it is.

#18 | Back to Top11-03-2006 06:30:10 PM

Shance
Miki Molester

Razara wrote:

I'm not familiar with any of the other roles that Shiori's Japanese voice actress has,

Meow meow, I be grey kitten from Sailormoon, meow meow.

#19 | Back to Top11-03-2006 06:34:04 PM

Shance
Miki Molester

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

To this day I cannot hear Yuri Shiratori and not see Nanami.  Shiratori is Nanami to me.

I always associated her with Cherry, who I think resembles Nanami in a few ways.

#20 | Back to Top11-03-2006 07:35:46 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Shance wrote:

Razara wrote:

I'm not familiar with any of the other roles that Shiori's Japanese voice actress has,

Meow meow, I be grey kitten from Sailormoon, meow meow.

*Rewatches Sailor Moon* You're right, it is her! I haven't watched Sailor Moon in a while, but I'm surprised I didn't notice... Shiori as a kitten... That's so adorable!

Thank you for pointing that out to me. I'm glad that I finally got to hear Shiori's voice actress playing a different role.

#21 | Back to Top11-03-2006 07:49:15 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Razara wrote:

Shiori as a kitten... That's so adorable!

It's all fun and games until Nanami finds her. emot-gonk

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#22 | Back to Top11-03-2006 08:08:54 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Giovanna wrote:

It's all fun and games until Nanami finds her. emot-gonk

The poor Shiori kitten... emot-gonk Is Nanami mad about what happened during the movie?

#23 | Back to Top11-03-2006 08:18:30 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Razara wrote:

The poor Shiori kitten... emot-gonk Is Nanami mad about what happened during the movie?

Yes. You'd be angry too if you got peed on by Chu-Chu. emot-mad

#24 | Back to Top11-06-2006 08:10:06 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Also, as has been mentioned, Sailor Moon, Excel, and Ebichu were all voiced by Juri, and so was Misato from Evangelion.

It's great!  There's even one scene where Misato is being all serious and snaps, "Next!" just. like. Juri.

#25 | Back to Top11-06-2006 06:48:20 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

I remember doing a huge double take when Diana first appeared in Sailor Moon SuperS. "Why is Shiori's voice coming out of that cat?"

Of course, my favorite is Kotono Mitsushi as both Juri and...Sailor Moon? (as already mentioned)
There's like two times in the entire Sailor Moon series where you can tell it's the same person. And one of the times is during a voice over that's introducing the title of an episode.

(Actually, a lot of the voice actors from Utena were also somehow involved with Sailor Moon...Kozue as Tellu [plant-lovin', back-stabbin' villian who is around for like one episode]...Anthy as Cyprine [another villian who is around for two seconds...this one is a twin, however. Also a repressed lil girl with mystical psychic powers who is around for only one episode. Also also a dramatic and idealist artist who thinks everyone will hate her artwork if they find out about how ugly she is. She's only around for one episode too.]...etc.)

Miki as Sailor Mercury is totally no surprise, by the way.

Board footer