This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-18-2012 10:28:51 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

"Oh crap" Moments

You know, those times where you just made a mistake in the moment but can't do much about it anymore, or you see something bad about to happen but can't stop it. Like the time I threw a shoe at a spider, then suddenly there were a bunch of baby spiders running everywhere. Ohhh god...

Or when Dad left me with the pasta (to rescue my cat from a tree, but he didn't tell me that), and after stirring it absently for a really long time I noticed it was burning and had been for a few minutes... Dad had to make a new dinner school-chef

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#2 | Back to Top02-24-2012 04:29:10 PM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

Re: "Oh crap" Moments

^ I have these on staircases a lot. emot-biggrin

Actually, my best "Oh crap" moment in recent memory was at the annual family reunion the maternal side of my lineage likes to do. It's always camping. It's always late summer. And it's always "Christmas" by the reckoning of all those involved. Being very PG and family oriented, as my maternal family is wont, this is a time of acoustic guitars, sing-a-longs and various athletic, mandatory-participation games. [If this description of my family is perverting the mental image you have of me, I'll share with you the knowledge that the paternal side of my family celebrates its gatherings with fireworks, poker and my grandmother's sour apple margaritas. We once decided to have a bonfire for the 4th of July and the result nearly blew out the back windows on my uncle's house.]

Anyway, without going into full detail, I wind up pitted against my youngest brother for a crab-walking race. I had not attempted a "crab walk" since the second grade, but apparently my brother was quite skilled and lined himself up at the starting point with the back of his head facing the finish. Understandably, I chose to mimic.

At this point I must tell you that our race was not taking place on a road, a beach or a plain, but rather the grassy knoll and "head facing the finish line" also means, "head facing down hill".

I make it about two steps when my right arm gives out because I didn't place the hand far enough behind me to catch my weight. Oh crap. Because, in this second, I know exactly what's going to happen. It's not pretty. And there's nothing I can do to alter the course of events. I fall to my elbows, weight transfers to my upper back as it hits the grass but the rest of me keeps going because my feet still have good traction and the angle of the slope I was on would have made it an excellent sledding spot in winter. I go heels over head in a backwards somersault and land in full belly flop position where I skid to a stop.

Bodily, I was unharmed, but my pride? Well, everyone in attendance was more concerned that I'd hurt myself in that moment. They didn't think to laugh. But, you see, my mother believes in the importance of family photos. She's not usually one for candid shots but this, of course, was an exception. She chose to snap a photo of us mid-race.

The result is a beautiful, high definition action-shot of my ass pointed straight up at the sky as my brother races ahead.

#3 | Back to Top03-02-2012 09:43:49 AM

SeizonSenryaku
Architectonitechnician

Rotten Mooring wrote:

^ I have these on staircases a lot. emot-biggrin

Actually, my best "Oh crap" moment in recent memory was at the annual family reunion the maternal side of my lineage likes to do. It's always camping. It's always late summer. And it's always "Christmas" by the reckoning of all those involved. Being very PG and family oriented, as my maternal family is wont, this is a time of acoustic guitars, sing-a-longs and various athletic, mandatory-participation games. [If this description of my family is perverting the mental image you have of me, I'll share with you the knowledge that the paternal side of my family celebrates its gatherings with fireworks, poker and my grandmother's sour apple margaritas. We once decided to have a bonfire for the 4th of July and the result nearly blew out the back windows on my uncle's house.]

Anyway, without going into full detail, I wind up pitted against my youngest brother for a crab-walking race. I had not attempted a "crab walk" since the second grade, but apparently my brother was quite skilled and lined himself up at the starting point with the back of his head facing the finish. Understandably, I chose to mimic.

At this point I must tell you that our race was not taking place on a road, a beach or a plain, but rather the grassy knoll and "head facing the finish line" also means, "head facing down hill".

I make it about two steps when my right arm gives out because I didn't place the hand far enough behind me to catch my weight. Oh crap. Because, in this second, I know exactly what's going to happen. It's not pretty. And there's nothing I can do to alter the course of events. I fall to my elbows, weight transfers to my upper back as it hits the grass but the rest of me keeps going because my feet still have good traction and the angle of the slope I was on would have made it an excellent sledding spot in winter. I go heels over head in a backwards somersault and land in full belly flop position where I skid to a stop.

Bodily, I was unharmed, but my pride? Well, everyone in attendance was more concerned that I'd hurt myself in that moment. They didn't think to laugh. But, you see, my mother believes in the importance of family photos. She's not usually one for candid shots but this, of course, was an exception. She chose to snap a photo of us mid-race.

The result is a beautiful, high definition action-shot of my ass pointed straight up at the sky as my brother races ahead.

emot-roflemot-smile

#4 | Back to Top03-02-2012 11:28:37 AM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

emot-rofl

That is excellent.

Once I watched my little sister roll off a bunkbed. I screamed. Could've been worse, actually, but luckily she missed the corner of the little shelf down there .__.

A really big "oh crap" was when my ferrets were playing in the back two rooms. We put up a barrier in the hall so they couldn't wander off. One of my cats, Tiger, jumped over the barrier while I was eating a sandwich in the kitchen. You can see straight down the hall from the kitchen, and I just happened to look over and see Tiger in my parents' room, cornering Cocoa. I flew
Thankfully, nothing bad happened o_o

One other was the time I spent an entire day beating Pokemon Blue. I felt really accomplished xD The next day, I was about to go out, so I was taking Blue with me. It was in my gba, so you know the cartridge sticks out the bottom...of course I dropped it on the wood floor and it landed game-first. "The save file has been destroyed!"
waste of day

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#5 | Back to Top03-21-2012 03:16:40 PM

wblstudios
Banned

Josef's family has a couple of dogs that go NUTS when anyone not of the family bloodline steps into his house.  My "Oh crap" moment comes every single time I walk through the main corridor, and I see one of those cute little f*ckers lift up their paw, ready to shred my shins to bits.  I swear, I'm wearing sweatpants in the middle of the Florida summer just to protect myself.

Board footer