This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-13-2014 01:57:48 PM

Aninha
Juri Jeerer

Animation in general

I searched around and there doesn't seem to be a thread about animated shows be they anime or not. The idea is just to talk about current shows or share more obscure animated titles with each other. To break the ice, let me ask you guys what you think of Utena's influence on Steven Universe.

#2 | Back to Top07-13-2014 02:12:39 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Re: Animation in general

Anime is just the Japanese word for "animation," and is not specific to content created in or for Japan.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#3 | Back to Top07-13-2014 02:18:56 PM

Aninha
Juri Jeerer

Nova wrote:

Anime is just the Japanese word for "animation," and is not specific to content created in or for Japan.

Yes, that's true, but I didn't see a thread where animation that wasn't from japan was the focus.

#4 | Back to Top07-13-2014 02:32:44 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Nova wrote:

Anime is the Japanese word for animation -- but we're not in Japan and we're not speaking Japanese. emot-smile  Anime is an English word meaning Japanese animation, especially the kind with big eyes.

Steven Universe, huh?  I don't think I've heard of it!  You see Utena's influence there? emot-smile

#5 | Back to Top07-13-2014 02:40:24 PM

Aninha
Juri Jeerer

Oh, yes, it's definitely there. There are some direct references, and then the show's creator, Rebecca Sugar, mentioned on an interview how she wanted to make a show that told a story that had more layers than it looked like, she talked about "sublime" art, I think,where there's the part you're seeing and the part that's lurking in it or something. I really can't explain it too well, but the interview's here: http://onpoint.wbur.org/2013/11/21/rebe … n-universe

There's only 19 aired eps so far (~10 min each), plus the pilot ep, if you'd like to see it.

#6 | Back to Top07-14-2014 09:21:51 AM

Aninha
Juri Jeerer

For the sake of not letting the thread die at 5 posts, and because I don't know what everyone's watching, I'm just gonna tell about stuff I'm watching:

Steven Universe: Steven is a kid that lives with three self appointed defenders of the world, Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl. With the 19 episodes so far we don't really have much explicit material suggesting of a bigger story arc, it's instead mostly character-driven, each time we get to see something about what gets them going or their family dinamic. We do get a bunch of subtle hints everywhere that this universe has a long history and there's a lot of background to everything at play though, it's mostly in the details. One refreshing aspect about the show is the amount of western show cliches it subverts.

Gravity Falls: a high quality show that works on an episodic basis but has a bunch of "hidden" clues the viewer can crack to figure out the major story. Our two main characters, Dipper and Mabel, are sent to live with their uncle on Gravity Falls. Dipper finds a mystery book on the first episode with the label "3" in it, so he realizes there's at least two more and he wants them to find out what sort of creepy things are behind such a seemingly simple place.

To give a sense of how the clues are hidden, in the opening, right at the end, the screen blinks for a sec, if you pause it, there's a clue there, and if you listen closely, you can hear a whisper.

Are any of you watching (one of) these? If so, what do you think of them? Is there some animation you're watching right now you'd like to talk about or recommend?

#7 | Back to Top07-14-2014 10:07:22 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I've not watched either of the two you've mentioned, but I hear good things about Gravity Falls.

As for me... Well, we've started the new Ghost in the Shell series, and it's been good so far. I like that it combines the detailed nature and character design of the movie with the ...somewhat less bleak... general outlook and palette of the show. I think it's technically quite excellent, although it's strange to see a younger Kusanagi who isn't quite as strong a character as I'm used to. In any event, the Akira-esque bike suit is greatly preferred to her previous battlethongs.

As for shows that aren't currently airing that are awesome... I'm a fan of The Venture Brothers, Archer, The Boondocks,  Bob's Burgers, Bee and Puppycat (so excited for the new season, pleeeease air sooooooon omg) and Bravest Warriors.

Speaking of an Utena-esque influence, the whole reason I was introduced to Bee and Puppycat was my boyfriend calling me into the living room and telling me that I had to watch this  'cause it had "space princes and shadow people like that Utena thing show."

We also tend to buy all of the DCU Animated Universe movies. For the most part they're extremely excellent, although a couple duds here and there. The ones that tend to fall flat are those where Jay Oliva or Bruce Timm are uninvolved. Thankfully, they are few and far between, although the most recent release, JLA Adventures in Time is one of them. Which is a shame. Flashpoint Paradox is -like the arc- excellent in it's portrayal of consequences, actions and tragedy. The Young Justice series was phenomenal. A really fantastic follow up to Teen Titans aimed at the same original audience of that show, but aged up. While Marvel is doing a really great job building up film franchises, I think WBA's expansion of the DCU movies is an excellent step for them -they really can't compete with the Avengers universe and various franchises, but the animated market for adult oriented superhero movies is pretty untapped. Oliva's adaption of The Dark Knight Returns is hands down the most faithful adaptation of any comic book arc ever. In part, it's because an animated adaption is much easier -Despite Watchmen and V for Vendetta being very excellent movies, they differ (greatly in some ways) from their source material. The Dark Knight Returns doesn't shy away from any of the horrible violence of Frank Miller's graphic novel and it doesn't need to -there's no aging actor to take into account, there's no issues with casting a physically intimidating man who can still play the part of the semi crippled and aged Batman.

I can wax poetic, but I do really enjoy them. I also appreciate that most of them reuse the same voice cast which adds additional continuity between all the movies. I particularly liked their Spectre short. Spectre is a pretty unused character these days, but it's a nice period piece about bloody, supernatural revenge. Very reminiscent of the comics -and the period in time- on which it was based.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#8 | Back to Top07-14-2014 10:47:45 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Mocha, Mocha.  That thing you are doing.  Right now.  Stop.  Hands down.  Stop it.

And go watch Steven Universe.

#9 | Back to Top07-14-2014 03:12:36 PM

Aninha
Juri Jeerer

@MissMocha: man, the boondocks! I can't wait for season 4, the show has consistent quality, and I love the pointed social criticism and sharp humor. I'm waiting for bee and the puppycats too. And you know, I watched the first episode of bob's burgers, and I thought it was so grim and cynical, does it continue like that or does it soften a bit? I'm really on the wall on this one.

#10 | Back to Top07-14-2014 04:11:09 PM

OhtoriExpress
New Student

Aninha wrote:

man, the boondocks! I can't wait for season 4, the show has consistent quality

Oh god. Lower your expectations considerably. The commentary in season 4 isn't nearly as biting as it used to be, and that's when it's not just missing the mark entirely. I'm not sure if the show suffered because Mcgruder bailed, or if Mcgruder bailed because he wasn't happy with the direction the show was going. I've seen shows slowly decline in quality, but never such a sharp, sudden nosedive.

I've only just started watching Bob's Burgers but I think it's actually the lack of cynicism that's a big part of my enjoying it so much. It's crude as hell, but it's got heart.

Steven Universe is awesome, the wait for new episodes has been really tough. I still have Giant Woman stuck in my head. Bee and Puppycat's great, too. So much great talent working both in and around Adventure Time.

#11 | Back to Top07-14-2014 06:13:38 PM

Aninha
Juri Jeerer

OhtoriExpress wrote:

Oh god. Lower your expectations considerably. The commentary in season 4 isn't nearly as biting as it used to be, and that's when it's not just missing the mark entirely. I'm not sure if the show suffered because Mcgruder bailed, or if Mcgruder bailed because he wasn't happy with the direction the show was going. I've seen shows slowly decline in quality, but never such a sharp, sudden nosedive.

Is it as bad as the transition from atla to korra? Because if so, I don't think I'll watch it.

I've only just started watching Bob's Burgers but I think it's actually the lack of cynicism that's a big part of my enjoying it so much. It's crude as hell, but it's got heart.

You're right, it's not really cynicism, what I wonder is if such creepy things as the human flesh stuff will show again, that was disturbing.

Since you enjoy bob's burgers (though I've seen only the first episode, it shows up enough on my dash that I get the jist of it), I suggest you watch Mission Hill, it's only 13 episodes long (all on youtube) and incredibly well done.

#12 | Back to Top07-14-2014 08:24:09 PM

OhtoriExpress
New Student

I haven't seen either Avatar series, so I can't really comment on that. It's not a good transition at all though, so I'd say season 4 is pretty skippable. I kinda wish I did.

I don't think anyone actually ate any dead people, it was just a misunderstanding.

I haven't seen Mission Hill in years! Watching the first episode again is reminding me of how great it was. It's really too bad that it was cancelled before it could finish it's run.

#13 | Back to Top07-14-2014 08:30:22 PM

Aninha
Juri Jeerer

OhtoriExpress wrote:

I haven't seen either Avatar series, so I can't really comment on that. It's not a good transition at all though, so I'd say season 4 is pretty skippable. I kinda wish I did.

I'll skip it. And I recommend Avatar, the first season's more simple than the next two, but don't get deceived by it, a lot of stuff is building up the next two seasons, really worth it in the end. It also shines in how it deals with abusive relationships and layered characters. Also, Mark Hamill voices the bad guy.

I don't think anyone actually ate any dead people, it was just a misunderstanding.

Oh, I know. It's just that it's one of those things where it's not some exagerated hypothetical situation, it's something that has happened before in the world, it gave me bad vibes. I'll give the series another chance though.

I haven't seen Mission Hill in years! Watching the first episode again is reminding me of how great it was. It's really too bad that it was cancelled before it could finish it's run.

It is! I feel sorry for the people behind it, such care and attention to detail, I'm glad it wasn't forgotten.

#14 | Back to Top07-15-2014 06:42:54 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Watching the dtv Wonder Woman movie again, to get the taste of the incredibly shitty Batman & Son out of my brain. And, I feel bad saying it, but the use of solid actors really reminds me how many good cartoons have been wrecked for me by lazy or incompetent acting. There's a strong possibility I'm such a watch-it-subbed guy with anime just because I can't tell as easily when someone's doing a lousy emoting job in a foreign language, particularly something serious to any strong degree.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#15 | Back to Top07-15-2014 08:03:39 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Mocha, Mocha.  That thing you are doing.  Right now.  Stop.  Hands down.  Stop it.

And go watch Steven Universe.

Lol, Despite my like for Bravest Warriors, and my admiration of what Cartoon Hangover has done, I actually am not a huge fan of Pendelton Ward. I just couldn't get into Adventure Time. Like, at all. Which is a shame, because a BUNCH of my favorite artists are fans of it, or have worked on it or on it's associated media. A lot of my friends adore it, but... I just... can't. I've tried like six times, too. So I never bothered with Steven Universe -despite the BW tie in- because Pendleton. :/

But I'll give it a shot, since our tastes tend to coincide on a lot of things.

Ainha wrote:

Bob's Burgers

It's got a lot of charm -the family is a family and has all the baggage it comes with. Also, Bob is a terrible punster and this endears him to me. Greatly. There's a lot to like about it -all of the actors do a really great job with their characters, and the writing is pretty excellent. Episodes like Mother Daughter Laser Razor manage to resolve family conflict sweetly without being saccharine, and others like It Snakes a Village are just wonderfully surreal ludicrousness.

Ainha wrote:

Man... I fucking loved Avatar. Like... even the filler episodes. Great cast, fantastic art direction, beautiful backgrounds, decent camera work, gorgeous scoring, nuanced and conflicted characters and motivations, amazing design and world building. A little simplistic at times -but hey, it was originally aimed at a younger audience, so I forgive them that. Just...all around balls out fucking amazing quality show. The Last Agni Kai? Goddamned fucking chilling. Haunting. Easily in my top 10 animated moments in like, ever. I was pretty excited for Korra. I liked that they were going with a female Avatar. I really loved the idea of a world in the midst of an Industrial Revolution. I liked the fusion of the steampunk aspects -combining the Fire nation technology with the ingenuity of the Earth nation. I even thought Pro Bending was a clever facet to the world they created -not as a focus of the show, but an interesting tidbit.

And then .... it just... It was pretty difficult to like any of the characters, that fucking unnecessary love triangle bullshit, the lack of nuance or cleverness -the absolute shitty treatment of the whole Equalists plot. Oh my god, it could have been so good. I really felt like TLA was great in terms of always having a point to it, a logical culmination being worked towards. It was unlike traditional western cartoons in that there was always a clear, defined goal for the endgame -it didn't just meander endlessly. I feel like Korra meanders to a point that's awful. I mean... Harmonic Convergence? That whole thing felt so fucking slipshod and it's what they should have been building to. Sigh. I feel like I'm being harsh on it because I know that they're capable of so much better (and now I suddenly understand why all my teachers were so mean to my lazy ass), and in the long run, Korra isn't bad, it's just... average.

Although, I'm going to leave you guys on a slightly sweeter note than all that bitching. I really like to check out Ringling College's senior thesis projects, and The Legend of the Flying Tomato is one that I think is particularly sweet.

Last edited by MissMocha (07-15-2014 08:03:54 AM)

#16 | Back to Top07-15-2014 09:47:06 AM

Aninha
Juri Jeerer

MissMocha wrote:

Not liking AT really doesn't mean you won't like SU, the style is a little reminiscent of AT, but not much more beyond that.

I was pretty excited for Korra. I liked that they were going with a female Avatar. I really loved the idea of a world in the midst of an Industrial Revolution. I liked the fusion of the steampunk aspects -combining the Fire nation technology with the ingenuity of the Earth nation. I even thought Pro Bending was a clever facet to the world they created -not as a focus of the show, but an interesting tidbit.

And then .... it just... It was pretty difficult to like any of the characters, that fucking unnecessary love triangle bullshit, the lack of nuance or cleverness -the absolute shitty treatment of the whole Equalists plot. Oh my god, it could have been so good. I really felt like TLA was great in terms of always having a point to it, a logical culmination being worked towards. It was unlike traditional western cartoons in that there was always a clear, defined goal for the endgame -it didn't just meander endlessly. I feel like Korra meanders to a point that's awful. I mean... Harmonic Convergence? That whole thing felt so fucking slipshod and it's what they should have been building to. Sigh. I feel like I'm being harsh on it because I know that they're capable of so much better (and now I suddenly understand why all my teachers were so mean to my lazy ass), and in the long run, Korra isn't bad, it's just... average.

I feel about the same way, iirc, I stopped watching the show completely after s2ep1. And then the way Bryke treats the fans so condescendingly (if you don't like our work, it's because it's above your pretty little head) and learning about what they did to zutara fans:

Yeah, I don't even feel like ever checking anything by them again, it's clear to me the quality of atla is mostly on the team that backed theses guys up.

Although, I'm going to leave you guys on a slightly sweeter note than all that bitching. I really like to check out Ringling College's senior thesis projects, and The Legend of the Flying Tomato is one that I think is particularly sweet.

Alright, I'll check that out. emot-smile

#17 | Back to Top07-15-2014 11:09:46 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Aninha wrote:

MissMocha wrote:

Not liking AT really doesn't mean you won't like SU, the style is a little reminiscent of AT, but not much more beyond that.

Rebecca Sugar was a writer and storyboardist for AT, so it's probably safe to venture they have similarities. But still, I'll look into it.

As for DiMartino and Konietzko, I haven't read anything that seems condescending. Do you have some links? I'm always interested in industry interviews. As far as them trolling the fandom... seemed like everyone at that viewing had a good time. Besides, I don't see how it's offensive -I have never and will never understand the fandom position that content creators "owe" fans anything. Anyway, considering how heavily involved they were in terms of writing and directing, they certainly weren't just of the "sit back and let the minions do it" school of production -belittling their involvement in the show belittles what TLA itself achieved and absolves them of their share of the blame that is LOK's disorganization. But that's my two cents; ymmv.

Edit: also idk if this is the place for it or not, but has anyone been following the wage fixing scandal going on?

Last edited by MissMocha (07-15-2014 11:12:39 AM)

#18 | Back to Top07-15-2014 11:18:08 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

MissMocha wrote:

also idk if this is the place for it or not, but has anyone been following the wage fixing scandal going on?

I hadn't. The not-a-molester-just-crazy/immature thing was the only recent animation scandal I picked up on.

Do tell.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#19 | Back to Top07-15-2014 11:53:41 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

MissMocha wrote:

also idk if this is the place for it or not, but has anyone been following the wage fixing scandal going on?

I hadn't. The not-a-molester-just-crazy/immature thing was the only recent animation scandal I picked up on.

Do tell.

Well, let's trade scandals, 'cause I missed that one.

As for the wage fixing, it looks to have sprung out of the antitrust investigations currently ongoing in the tech industry. Pando has been doing some excellent coverage, and while this recent article is more or less mid-series, I feel like it does an excellent job conveying the basics. Which are pretty self explanatory: The heads of major animation studios (Pixar, ILM, Disney and Dreamworks) colluded in an unofficial agreement not to "raid" each other, by attempting to hire away animators, producers, directors, etc. Because of this, wages for that industry have been kept at a non competitive, non market low. Undervaluing work (especially in a location as expensive as the Bay Area) is never healthy for the economy or the worker -but it does lead to higher profits and upper management dividends (I'm sure my bias is showing, but whatever). But the biggest thing about undervaluing work like this is that it also leads to the loss of smaller start ups, places like The Orphanage or Rhythm & Hues -who won 3 Oscars for their effects work and promptly went bankrupt after the third.

But anyway, many of the emails included in the Pando story are infuriating -especially where Steve Jobs responds to news of someone being fired at another company for daring to cold contact him. That email is in a different article, but man, does it add fuel to my SJ-is-a-dickwad-fire.

Edit: OH AND IT'S BEEN GOING ON FOR LIKE 25 FUCKING YEARS.

Last edited by MissMocha (07-15-2014 12:05:41 PM)

#20 | Back to Top07-15-2014 12:07:07 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

That's crazy nuts, but entirely too believable. Jobs was never as bright and wonderful as he was marketed, in any case. I knew this was going on ages ago, but really had assumed things had changed. Everyone I know at Disney, at this point, is so utterly Disney-love and paranoid, I tend to take things with too many grains of salt. So, the link is saddening. Let's devalorize our artists and make'em beg for scraps, y'all, I need to buy another country!

The other scandal centers around Emily Partridge, whose done fantastic work on a few shows, talking about being sexually harassed by someone the studios basically handwave, and finally the guy got named, and it's Skyler Page, creator of Clarence. During the guessing game, though, and the fallout of him being pushed out and accused of a lot of credit-stealing and other dodgy behavior atop the sexual harassment, others were named and other incidents brought up. So it's just kind of a ripple effect.

#21 | Back to Top07-16-2014 07:30:55 AM

Aninha
Juri Jeerer

MissMocha wrote:

As for DiMartino and Konietzko, I haven't read anything that seems condescending. Do you have some links?

Sure, go to their tumblrs. There's, for example, a little comic that's supposed to be funny I guess, in which they bluntly say the people who've got any complaints about korra are fangirls who just can't deal with complex storylines interfering with their bubbly shallow ships.

Besides, I don't see how it's offensive -I have never and will never understand the fandom position that content creators "owe" fans anything.

That's not really a good wording for what I believe, I think creators should have some semblance of respect, courtesy, and consideration for the people who invest their minds, emotions, time and sometimes money in what they produced. A show may be great, but it's a fandom actively and continuously investing in it that doesn't let it fall to obscurity.

On the other end, I can think: if creators owe fans nothing, then by proxy fans owe creators nothing. Which means I don't owe my loyalty to them. They have all the rights to do as they please, and I have the right to leave.

Anyway, considering how heavily involved they were in terms of writing and directing, they certainly weren't just of the "sit back and let the minions do it" school of production -belittling their involvement in the show belittles what TLA itself achieved and absolves them of their share of the blame that is LOK's disorganization. But that's my two cents; ymmv.

My impression is they had that team in atla, and then didn't for korra, so we can see just how much credit the team had.

Edit: also idk if this is the place for it or not, but has anyone been following the wage fixing scandal going on?

Nope, but I followed the clarence one, to think even today this sort of thing happens.

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Watching the dtv Wonder Woman movie again, to get the taste of the incredibly shitty Batman & Son out of my brain.

They need to stop burning through the robins like that, it makes batman look bad.

#22 | Back to Top07-18-2014 06:22:47 PM

Aninha
Juri Jeerer

I wanted to ask you guys, what do you think about Hey, Arnold and Daria? I've only ever heard good things about them but seen very little, not sure whether I commit to all these episodes or not.

And have any of you seen The Animals of Farthing Wood? Because if you haven't, I strongly recommend you do as soon as possible, it's super old but it's seriously brilliant, don't be deceived by the first one or two eps, this show goes places. Watch just the first two seasons though, the third's way worse, mostly due to censorship.

#23 | Back to Top07-18-2014 10:15:22 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Aninha wrote:

Daria

Way back when, I was a huge fan of Daria and when it was popular everyone constantly nagged me about how like her I was. That's still pretty true, I'm more outgoing now but I'm still just as likely to say something completely fucking morbid.

I rewatched the full run of the show recently, and was actually pleasantly surprised by how intelligent it was. When you're a teenager it just feels familiar and warm because the stereotypes are all there, but watching with more perspective it's actually a pretty biting commentary on the education system, social dynamics, and ultimately it breaks down most of the stereotypes it capitalizes on. It's a fantastic show, it was too good for MTV.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#24 | Back to Top07-19-2014 03:06:08 AM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

I definitely can't recommend Daria highly enough.

Daria is a nice blending of commentary on Western society and stereotypes. I generally find stereotypes incredibly annoying in the series that I watch because the writers don't feel like they have to put effort into making the characters still seem like people. However the show does take the time to do that and doesn't allow the characters playing into stereotypical archetypes to be the only thing that defines them. Take for instance the character of Quinn, Daria's younger sister. She is a popular girl and vice-president of the vapid fashion club. She's seemingly lazy and aspires to nothing in life but it is subtly shown that she is so absorbed in climbing her way up  the ranks in popularity that she actually has strong parallels to her mother who is the same way only her aspirations are towards moving up in the law firm she works at.

I would warn ahead of time that there are a few episodes that really flat-line. But they are incredibly rare. Only two episodes comes to mind immediately and they are the episode where personifications of the holidays Valentines Day and St. Patrick's Day appear seeking Daria's help, it is not a dream, and the episode 'Murder She Snored' which is just unable to be described in a single sentence.

If you like shows that are witty and snarky this show is completely worth watching. I watched all the episodes, except  one (The video player is busted) and the two specials, legally at Liquid Television's website; although as of typing this my connection to the site has been timing out. You can also get the complete series on DVD for around $20 dollars if you've got the money and are up for a pretty safe risk.

Oh! One more thing to note. The DVD release of Daria (And by extension the episodes on Liquid Television) had to edit a large portion of the music from the original show due to copyright issues. So if that's something you consider important to your enjoyment of the show you may have to do a little digging.

The show is pretty easy to just jump into and go. A couple of episodes I would personally recommend to get a good feel for the series would be 'Arts and Crass' and 'Gifted,' although the pilot episodes, 'Esteemsters,' is very good as well.

As for Hey Arnold!, that one is a great show as well. It has a lot of adult undertones to it that makes it stand out, in particular Helga's alcoholic mother and abusive father. Much like Daria, the show plays with stereotypes but unlike Daria it completely breaks them down. For all of the adult undertones to the show it is very positive and leans more towards optimism. One thing you would probably want to know ahead of time is that the show really has two protagonists. Arnold and Helga.

One nice thing about Hey Arnold! is that nearly each episode is made up of two 10-ish minute stories so it's less of a time commitment to watch. Episodes rarely build off of previous stories and if they do it's not something so important that you would be confused without having seen the episode in question.

My personal recommendations for episodes to get your foot in the door would be the episodes 'Crabby Author' and 'Cool Jerk,' where Arnold is the main character. 'Helga and the Nanny' and 'Olga gets Engaged' are fantastic episodes where Helga is the main character.

The movie is, in my opinion, terrible so I wouldn't recommend using that as a testing field at all.

#25 | Back to Top07-19-2014 03:37:57 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Daria's good. MTV's had some very solid cartoons over the years. Consistently funny, and endearing, and solid stuff.

I never could groove on Hey Arnold, though. Just not my speed.

Board footer