This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-31-2008 07:41:19 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Re: if utena weren't your fav, what would be? and if it isnt, reeducate yo

Duelist Megu wrote:

How do I do spoiler text here, lol?  I can't talk about it very easily without it...

[ color=white ]SPOILERIFIC material here![ /color ]

Just take out the spaces between the brackets and words.  Then if someone wants to read it, they just highlight.

Observe:

At the end of the SKU movie, *SPOILER* Utena turns into a car. *END SPOILER*

You just made a spoiler tag! school-eng101

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#27 | Back to Top10-31-2008 09:03:06 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

In any order:

- Trinity Blood
- Vampire Knight
- Blood+
- Bleach
- Tennis No Oujisama
- Hellsing
- Death Note

ETA: Black Blood Brothers

Last edited by Seitokaichou (11-02-2008 08:41:50 PM)

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#28 | Back to Top10-31-2008 11:53:01 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Speaks highly of SKU, doesn't it? emot-biggrin Really, after SKU I stopped following anime much. It just couldn't measure up most of the time.

I see what you mean, I was like that too after I had seen SKU. Now I've learned to enjoy other anime again, and I'm glad for that because there's lots of great stuff out there beside SKU. Sure, they aren't SKU but they can be deep and enjoyable as well. ;)

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#29 | Back to Top11-01-2008 02:37:59 AM

BalamiyaVardihi
High Tripper

I'd have to say Rozen Maiden or Princess Tutu. My top 5 list is as such:

1) Utena
2) Rozen Maiden
3) Princess Tutu
4) Chobits
5) xxxHOLiC

Twirling round with this familiar parabol
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and
Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing

#30 | Back to Top11-01-2008 01:12:36 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Like Giovanna, after i watched SKU i sort of... lost interest (?) in anime. Utena provides the depthy... no-matter-how-many-times-i-watch-this-i-will-always-see-something-new-ness...

Other than Utena, i love Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Evangelion....and freaking G-Force, if anyone remembers that damn show.

I love the bird people. sorry. it just cracks me up so bad.

#31 | Back to Top11-01-2008 02:32:51 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

I have such trashy tastes. I love Tokyo Mew Mew as well. And Love Hina XD

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#32 | Back to Top11-01-2008 03:06:15 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

So, should I admit that SKU isn't my favorite anime? <_<  >_>

My list looks something like this:

1. Sailor Moon
2. SKU
3. NANA
4. Kino's Journey
5....it gets a bit muddled at this point, including things like Princess Tutu, Millennium Actress, Noir, and Haibane Renmei.

Yeah, SKU's "better" than SM, but nothing can move it from the top spot in my heart.  I love the characters so much more than SKU characters (where there are only one or two I really like in SKU, there are only one or two I don't like in SM), plus there's nostalgia, enjoying the light with a bit of dark storylines, etc.  When I make a "best" anime list, SKU goes on top, but when it comes to favorites, I let my heart be my guide and it takes me straight back to my first love.

#33 | Back to Top11-01-2008 04:32:45 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I seen shitloads of animes in the last few years and if I was to list my favourites, it would be this:

1.  Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
2.  School Rumble
3.  Naruto
4.  The Wallflower
5.  Ouran Host Club
6.  Utena
7.  Super Gals!
8.  Rune Soldier Louie
9.  Otoboku
10. Cheeky Angel

#34 | Back to Top11-02-2008 01:03:54 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I'm the same for Utena really being the only anime I watch.

Evangelion's the only other one I really pay attention to, and I've seen Sailormoon too. (But its to the same extent as "I've seen Frasier every night at 11." I don't REALLY care.)

I've seen a couple episodes of alot of things, but its mostly my friends being crazy anime lovers, and me being around them.
But seriously, if you make me watch more than an episode or two of anything else, I will have to shoot somebody.

I do enjoy amv hells though. Go figure.

#35 | Back to Top11-02-2008 06:14:13 AM

J-Syxx
Banned

Arki wrote:

...Strawberry Panic, and thought that it was pretty much what marimite should've been.

A bit off-topic, but I couldn't help but type my disagreement. d: Strawberry Panic is far from anything I'd call good (which doesn't mean it's not entertaining). Marimite, on the other hand, has some quality within it. It definitely took itself much more seriously and in the end, I feel the story wasn't intended to be about yuri in the lesbian sense, but the yuri in the best friend or person I admire way (yuri just clumps it all together). From that perspective, it delivered well. Though comparing these two anime is like saying night and day have something in common. Hmm. I've enjoyed both, but I don't find neither exceptionally excellent to recommend it.

And that's probably the reason why some people hate Marimite.  The "un-romatnic love" angle or "S" isn't very interesting, plus it's origins is pretty ridiculous.  I think a way that it was explained to me in Japanese culture you were forced to marry a male anyways, so even if you were a lesbian your relationships in high school would just be considered temporary flights of fancy no matter what the case is.  It then lead to this myth that true lesbianism was didn't exist and was and just a thing kids do as a "stage."  Maybe it was true for some people, but the thing was they thought this was true for everyone.  I don't respect everything about Japanese culture, and I definitely would prefer to watch an anime where the girl/girl subtext could at least possibly go some where.

Anyways, I Utena wasn't my fave, Battle Athletes Victory probably would be.  Before BAV and Utena it was Slayers.  Of more recent anime I've seen Ninja Nonsense aka Ninin ga Shinobuden was a really cute show that was really funny, if not overly intelligent.

Last edited by J-Syxx (11-02-2008 06:14:40 AM)

#36 | Back to Top11-02-2008 07:32:50 AM

Mylene

J-Syxx wrote:

Anyways, I Utena wasn't my fave, Battle Athletes Victory probably would be.  Before BAV and Utena it was Slayers.  Of more recent anime I've seen Ninja Nonsense aka Ninin ga Shinobuden was a really cute show that was really funny, if not overly intelligent.

Another Battle Athletes Victory fan!  I prefer the OAV, but the TV series was also great (although a bit more silly than I wanted having seen the OAV first.)  I haven't found too many people that have even watched the franchise, let alone really liked it.

#37 | Back to Top11-02-2008 01:29:07 PM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

'Utena' is battling it out with 'Evangelion' for my favorite series, simply because they took such an original approach to their storytelling. Of course, Eva got that way from a budget slash, but they made it work! emot-smile

#38 | Back to Top11-02-2008 01:29:52 PM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

Oh, and of course, 'Princess Tutu'.

#39 | Back to Top11-02-2008 07:50:54 PM

J-Syxx
Banned

Mylene wrote:

J-Syxx wrote:

Another Battle Athletes Victory fan!  I prefer the OAV, but the TV series was also great (although a bit more silly than I wanted having seen the OAV first.)  I haven't found too many people that have even watched the franchise, let alone really liked it.

Yeah there are still some fans out there (but not many).  I definitely prefer the tv series to the OVA.  The OVA seemed a bit dry and I felt the emotional story telling in the tv series was a lot better (to the point of bringing me to tears at one point ^ ^V).  Only thing I liked better in the OVA was psycho-crush Mylandah.  I'm also a huge Ichino Yanagida fan.  Sadly most fans seem to prefer Kris Christopher and seem to either ignore or hate poor Itchan.  This of course lead to me trying to bridge the gap by shipping Kris and Itchan together, but the few fans I have encountered don't really seem to like the idea.  Here is the evidence I produced a few years ago to support it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/j-syxx/rocksolidevidence.jpg

Also I did this caption.  XD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/j-syxx/BAVCap1.jpg

Also I should mention I'm pretty obssessed with Totally Spies which most otaku despise as a "knock-off."  Can't help but love this show due to all of self-parody, film references, pervy innuendo, and endless opportunities for femslash pairings.  xD

#40 | Back to Top11-02-2008 08:23:09 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

J-Syxx wrote:

Also I should mention I'm pretty obssessed with Totally Spies which most otaku despise as a "knock-off."  Can't help but love this show due to all of self-parody, film references, pervy innuendo, and endless opportunities for femslash pairings.  xD

Oh man.. you just reminded me of this site which is comedy gold! (and I haven't looked at in probably more than a year until you inspired me to look it up again.) emot-biggrin

Totally Spies is the best shoujo-ai show never made. emot-wink

Heyyyy wait a minute... I knew something looked oddly familiar while reading through that site again... you were there!  Unless there's another J-Syxx lurking about out on the internets...

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (11-02-2008 09:18:51 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#41 | Back to Top11-03-2008 05:42:04 PM

J-Syxx
Banned

There's only one J-Syxx.  lol.  Thank you for recognizing my net fame.  emot-tongue  I used to be a regular there, but I got tired of the place after I pissed off certain bitchy members after I talked about why I don't like Kannazuki No Miko.  XD

Totally Spies is the best shoujo-ai show never made.

Tell that to the animators.  XDD

http://tsug.yuriheart.com/gallery/albums/Screenshots/Season1/007-TheFugitives/fug145.jpg

Last edited by J-Syxx (11-03-2008 05:43:39 PM)

#42 | Back to Top11-04-2008 02:56:09 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

I don't know why, but in my opinion, Totally Spies isthe best example of anime commercial crap ever (but that's just my taste, don't bother...). I don't even consider this an anime... Maybe because in the last few months there is so much of similar crap, that I can't resist saying, that anime is doomed if that's how its future looks like... emot-gonk

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#43 | Back to Top11-04-2008 05:59:25 AM

Mylene

J-Syxx wrote:

Mylene wrote:

J-Syxx wrote:

Yeah there are still some fans out there (but not many).  I definitely prefer the tv series to the OVA.  The OVA seemed a bit dry and I felt the emotional story telling in the tv series was a lot better (to the point of bringing me to tears at one point ^ ^V).  Only thing I liked better in the OVA was psycho-crush Mylandah.  I'm also a huge Ichino Yanagida fan.  Sadly most fans seem to prefer Kris Christopher and seem to either ignore or hate poor Itchan.

OAV Kris was my favorite character of all.  Second favorite being Itchan.  They kind of messed up Kris in the tv series, which really upset me, hence some downgrading on my part.  The emotional bits were great, but it was just so much sillier and random, and having seen the OAV first, that's not what I really wanted.  However, I definitely love Itchan.  Then again, I'm immediately biased towards her due to my love of Hisakawa Aya. ^_-

#44 | Back to Top11-04-2008 07:30:16 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

I'm gonna have to join a few people and say if it weren't for Utena, Evangelion would be my favorite. It's already pretty damn close. There are other shows I like (not many, but a few) but none reach that level of OMG YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS IT'S SO FUCKED UP I LOVE IT as Utena and Eva do.

#45 | Back to Top11-04-2008 09:24:37 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Nanami's Rose Groom wrote:

I don't know why, but in my opinion, Totally Spies isthe best example of anime commercial crap ever (but that's just my taste, don't bother...). I don't even consider this an anime... Maybe because in the last few months there is so much of similar crap, that I can't resist saying, that anime is doomed if that's how its future looks like... emot-gonk

Oh, Totally Spies is absolutely most definitely not "real" anime...  it is a Canadian export after all. emot-wink  That said, I agree with J-Syxx that it's probably the best "fake" anime out there, since it doesn't seem to take itself seriously and is very tongue-in-cheek.

#46 | Back to Top11-04-2008 10:26:49 AM

J-Syxx
Banned

^Actually it's more of a "Franime."  It's owned by a French company and animated in France.  I think it's only dubbed into English in Canada.  Anime has always been very popular in France.  For example Captain Harlock and the Rose of Versailles were really big over there during the 80's.  So while some people may see this as an attempt at being "commercial" it's only following the influence most French cartoons normally have from anime.

And I agree with the Imaginary Bad Bug taking this show seriously is kind of beyond the point, it is totally tongue in cheek.  In fact, I think it's safe to say one of the not so subtle running gags with the writers was how big of a slut Clover was.  The fact they get away with stuff like that in a "kid's" cartoon adds to it's endless entertainment value for me.

#47 | Back to Top11-04-2008 06:15:16 PM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

Slayers, Excel Saga, Cowboy Beebop, Samurai Champloo. In no particular order. I'd never had the time, money, or energy to be an otaku, and Utena was a recent discovery for me (after a long lapse of interest in anime of any sort), so I guess I'm kinda picky.

I've also started to watch some of Azumanga Daioh recently to see what all the fuss was about. I'm glad I did.

#48 | Back to Top11-04-2008 06:39:04 PM

Mylene

OnionPrince wrote:

I've also started to watch some of Azumanga Daioh recently to see what all the fuss was about. I'm glad I did.

Azumanga Daioh's one of those shows where you come home in a bad mood, put it in, and suddenly life just seems a bit easier and soft.  I love that series so much.

#49 | Back to Top11-04-2008 10:49:14 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

J-Syxx wrote:

There's only one J-Syxx.  lol.  Thank you for recognizing my net fame.  emot-tongue  I used to be a regular there, but I got tired of the place after I pissed off certain bitchy members after I talked about why I don't like Kannazuki No Miko.  XD

I was just a lurker, but I left for similar reasons.  Mostly I got tired of every thread being a Kannazuki thread, or just about.  Didn't like the show much either.  In fact, I suspect I know which members you mean :/

BalamiyaVardihi wrote:

I'd have to say Rozen Maiden or Princess Tutu. My top 5 list is as such:

1) Utena
2) Rozen Maiden
3) Princess Tutu

You got good taste, there, friend.
Pics related.
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg183/carve037/tutu_watchedexpectedgot.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg183/carve037/rm_watchedexpectedgot.jpg

Last edited by Duelist Megu (11-04-2008 11:00:18 PM)

#50 | Back to Top11-04-2008 10:57:28 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Oh god, how could I have forgotten Ouran High School Host Club?

Board footer