This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-30-2013 11:26:39 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Things You Won't Let Yourself Own

It's important to know what you should never be entrusted with, even if it'd be really fun to have and potentially useful. This is the thread for admitting you'd have to turn down this or that thing if someone offered it to you, even if it were offered for free, because you simply should not be in charge of that kind of a tool.

I can't own firearms, despite liking the mechanics and design aspects of guns, hunting, and once in a great while hitting a practice range. I'm too twitchy, too quick to react to strange people being in my home unexpected or the scratching of tree limbs on the roof at 2:14 a.m. to have something quickly and solidly lethal nearby.

And if I were to own really good amps and speakers, auditorium quality, concert hall quality, I'd eventually (say in about twenty-seven hours after purchase) blow the eardrums of people a block or two away. It's just going to happen. Partly because I'm half-deaf, but mostly because hearing isn't hearing until you feel vibrations in your chest and feedback in your brainmeats.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#2 | Back to Top05-30-2013 11:59:59 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Re: Things You Won't Let Yourself Own

I've been randomly combing my brainbox for things I can't handle, and then the solution just fell into place from a completely unexpected vector. There's nothing I would not trust myself with, eventually. My life has been a never-ceasing series of mastery exercises. Every time I master something, I look for something else to investigate, research, try, learn, and eventually master.* There are things that I would have on hand that I would quite deliberately refrain from unpacking until I had read the manual or absorbed a wiki's worth of information**, but nothing I would fear having on hand for lack of my own ability to control myself around it.

(* For modesty's sake, I will not list them here. Let's just say my character sheet in a modern RPG would be pretty damned useful.)

(** I imagine the wiki for the mysterious, seamless, polished, 18" black cube which is impervious to X-rays, is cool to the touch, and bears only the mark of The Rand Corporation would be fascinating.)

Last edited by Nova (05-31-2013 12:01:14 AM)

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#3 | Back to Top05-31-2013 12:03:34 AM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

A car.

I can assure you that I would never, ever be able to learn how to drive. I suck at driving cars even in video games. I tried "practice driving" once when I went out with my ex. Dear God, huge, horrible mistake.

So no, any form of automatic, four-wheeled vehicle is a no-no for me.

#4 | Back to Top05-31-2013 01:36:18 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I can't own firearms, despite liking the mechanics and design aspects of guns, hunting, and once in a great while hitting a practice range. I'm too twitchy, too quick to react to strange people being in my home unexpected or the scratching of tree limbs on the roof at 2:14 a.m. to have something quickly and solidly lethal nearby.

One could make the argument that strange people being in your home unexpectedly is kind of the point of having a gun, but I see your point. emot-smile

I don't claim to be a master of the universe, or even the bits of it I pick up, but I'm fairly responsible and can't really think of anything I don't trust myself with. I can think, however, of many, many things that the laws around me shouldn't trust me with, including but not limited to internet access. It's a matter of perspective. I think I'm quite safe on a torrent site. Paramount Pictures, HBO, and others may disagree. emot-redface

An advanced understanding of crime scene forensics should probably never be in my repertoire. I'd abuse it, one way or another.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#5 | Back to Top05-31-2013 12:59:58 PM

zevrem
Banned

(* For modesty's sake, I will not list them here. Let's just say my character sheet in a modern RPG would be pretty damned useful.)

I'm not the jealous type, please do tell.

And what's the black cube a reference to?

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#6 | Back to Top05-31-2013 04:39:52 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

zevrem wrote:

I'm not the jealous type, please do tell.

Sorry, no.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#7 | Back to Top05-31-2013 06:11:10 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I resolved never to own a gun either because of my disease. It's a long story.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#8 | Back to Top05-31-2013 09:26:31 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Giovanna wrote:

One could make the argument that strange people being in your home unexpectedly is kind of the point of having a gun, but I see your point. emot-smile.

I've taken swings with rebar, cut someone's neck with a paint can opener for climbing into bed with me to surprise me, and once threw a hot cup of tea at my brother's face in the middle of the night, so hard the cup shattered and cut his face while the tea burnt his eyes and face. I punched a squirrel for popping out of leaves one evening and scaring me, before I realized it was a poor little squirrel and not I don't know a chestbursting alien or something.

Definitely don't need anything with a trigger.

(Also, possibly seek therapy.)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#9 | Back to Top05-31-2013 09:49:16 PM

redRogue
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

I can't think of any things that I can't trust myself with, but I do know this: do not ever hand me a baby. Just... no. I can look after younger kids, sure, but as soon as you show me that little bundle of JOY, I'm out.

Trust me, a funeral for a 3-week old is highly inconvenient.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

#10 | Back to Top05-31-2013 10:50:37 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

redRogue wrote:

I can't think of any things that I can't trust myself with, but I do know this: do not ever hand me a baby. Just... no. I can look after younger kids, sure, but as soon as you show me that little bundle of JOY, I'm out..

I'm right there with you on this one.

#11 | Back to Top06-01-2013 07:00:48 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

ArthurianRoseKnight wrote:

A car.

I can assure you that I would never, ever be able to learn how to drive. I suck at driving cars even in video games. I tried "practice driving" once when I went out with my ex. Dear God, huge, horrible mistake.

So no, any form of automatic, four-wheeled vehicle is a no-no for me.

Me too! Seriously, driving is not a thing I will ever do. It's just a no, and you all are safer on the roads for it. I promise this is true. But is is kind of sucky living with people looking at me like I'm an alien because I do not and will never drive. Ditto on the driving game. One of my best friends always cracks up every time Pole Position comes up.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#12 | Back to Top06-02-2013 10:11:17 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

My friend thinks I shouldn't be entrusted with a boat... I completely disagree, but hey.

I think I shouldn't be entrusted with a child. I'd make a lousy father for now, at least. For similar reasons, I probably shouldn't be entrusted with a dog. I was ok with my cat though, she did a fairly good job of looking after herself as long as I fed her and kept he more or less content. I also shouldn't be entrusted with any substantial amount of alcohol in my house, because I have really really bad impulse control problems, and am likely to keep drinking after I've had two or three glasses if there's a bunch of "free" stuff on hand. This inevitably leads to problems. I've been working on keeping my house more or less alcohol free, but it's kind of annoying since I can't get the wine I like without buying it ahead of time (no store particularly near me sells it, so it just makes practical sense to buy it when I do go shopping at the far-away store that does sell it).

Last edited by Valeli (06-02-2013 10:12:13 AM)

#13 | Back to Top06-02-2013 06:13:39 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I punched a squirrel for popping out of leaves one evening and scaring me, before I realized it was a poor little squirrel and not I don't know a chestbursting alien or something.

Definitely best Disney princess.

#14 | Back to Top06-08-2013 10:04:16 PM

hayama
Ruthless Deflorist

A smartphone. I would break that thing in a second.

Boy, you're gonna carry that weight.

#15 | Back to Top06-09-2013 02:16:20 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Ditto and I would be so pissed.

I love this topic!

Any kinda of unlimted food on demand with chef to cook it; I would eat my self to damn near to death.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#16 | Back to Top06-09-2013 04:30:26 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

Any kinda of unlimted food on demand with chef to cook it; I would eat my self to damn near to death.

I feel your worry.   Cake lover that I am, I've always been wary about looking at those 1/2 price due to near expiry patisserie cakes at the market.  Having to finish like 1000g of real cream + icing + cake/pastry layers in 2 days all by myself is really is too much like flirting with diabetes emot-redface

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#17 | Back to Top08-23-2014 10:46:34 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

There are two things that I just refuse to buy. That is a cable tv subscription and an online RPG because  almost nothing else would get done. I remember when I had cable tv my life was run using crisis management. Most every thing of importance was held off until the "last minute" that included going to work. With the "on demand" feature ,which allows you to watch shows at any time, I would be even rewatching shows that I liked. Even when I did not watch a lot of television that day I would often get distracted and forget and delay tasks I should be doing.

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#18 | Back to Top08-23-2014 02:40:27 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

I can never drive, so yeah. I shouldn't own a car.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#19 | Back to Top08-28-2014 10:31:21 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Potatoes.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#20 | Back to Top08-29-2014 03:53:22 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Children.

:shudder:

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#21 | Back to Top08-29-2014 08:17:26 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Children.

:shudder:

Here here.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#22 | Back to Top08-29-2014 01:20:18 PM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

Oh wow
I'm actually surprised to see that there are others who can not handle a car O_O

I do have a driver's license, but since the exams here are pretty much bribed and the teacher has control over the pedals anyway, and I was completely focused on the task I did pass BUT, errm, during the classes there were multiple times the teacher had to stop the car for me because I hadn't noticed the stop sign nor the red light ==;
I think it has to do with me being unable to focus in a car (I didn't have issues noticing them when driving my bicycle or something)
so after I got that license I never got behind the wheel ever again and that's...10 years ALREADY??? emot-aaa OMFUCKING PAPAYAS!!! I'm getting old emot-gonk

まずここでこのオスカル・フランソワの命をたってからにされるがよい!

#23 | Back to Top08-29-2014 06:52:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I actually know quite a few people that don't like to or flat out refuse to drive. I love it, personally, though given the option I'd rather live somewhere where it isn't necessary. But I do love a good road trip.

BTW gorgeous, those discounted cakes are good for long after their expiry date, so you can take your time. emot-smile

#24 | Back to Top08-30-2014 03:29:39 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

well I like fast cars, I love racing games like Formula 1 (though I do suck at it ahahhaha)
and I do want to be able to drive a motorbyke at some point I love those actually
but my problem is that I can't drive a car, I'm dangerous with one :s

まずここでこのオスカル・フランソワの命をたってからにされるがよい!

#25 | Back to Top08-30-2014 07:54:12 AM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

I tried getting my driver's license over the summer, but even the teacher said I needed more intensive instruction than what I was getting from them. Basically less directional lessons and more physical therapy lessons. Not sure when I'd be able to take them, but I'll do it. But even when I get my license, I'd be a little hesitant about getting a car of my own.
Also, even though I really want a pet, (especially a cat or a snake) I'm still trying to make sure I can take care of myself first. I've heard that taking care of a pet is like taking care of a child, and I honestly believe that. They're a living thing, and they deserve to be treated with the utmost dedication for their happiness and survival. Financially and emotional, I feel like I'm not ready. I'll stick with virtual pets for the moment.

Board footer