This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-28-2018 03:22:59 PM

Jotari
New Student

What duels were fought before Utena showed up?

The world didn't come into existence as soon as Utena got involved with the plot (actually, maybe it did. Metaphysical mumbo jumbo and all). Saionji must have won Anthy off someone, all the duelists are familar with the process already...so...what went down? Who fought who? How was Anthy even introduced to the duelists in the first place? I think we get one reference to suggest Juri thought the whole thing was nonsense and didn't fight anyone. Likewise, I don't really feel like Miki's fought before as his first episode is about finding the motivation to fight. Was she just being passed between Touga and Saionji repetedly? Were there maybe other students involved as it took place in a previous school year? Ruka maybe? I don't know. Would like to hear theories, possible references or straight up fan fiction if anyone has any interesting ideas.

#2 | Back to Top03-29-2018 07:47:15 AM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Re: What duels were fought before Utena showed up?

Jotari wrote:

Were there maybe other students involved as it took place in a previous school year?

We've talked about this a bit before - some stuff from late in the show implies that Akio's tried this plan quite a lot and plans on doing so again. There's also the Nemuro episode to consider, although that was a duel fought with fire instead of swords.

As for the current duelists, though, I'm not really sure. I think that maybe Miki and Juri have tried it before at least once, maybe when they were all being introduced to it. But I think the idea that Touga and Saionji do most of the duels is probably right.

im a shadow play girl irl

#3 | Back to Top04-01-2018 06:31:39 PM

Xom
New Student

Re: What duels were fought before Utena showed up?

Dear student counsel,

Hello, I am the end of world, we are prince from end times. We offer you revolution and break world shell. all you need to do is send us money and to mary our rose bride. who ever wins duels gets bride. pleas send money via CASTLE IN THE SKY services.

Board footer