This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top11-15-2006 07:03:28 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

Re: Someday My Revolution Will Come (Utena video game)

Well, a lot depends on how the game is coded.  The text is apparently in Unicode, so it's a standard format.  The only real question is 'is this thing capable of outputting all unicode, or just a limited subset that doesn't include English characters."  If it is, then anyone with Japanese knowledge should be able to just translate the unicode, and we plug it in and everything's good, although the menus won't be translated this way.  On the other hand, It's just as likely to throw up junk or crash if someone tries this.  I think, once I get my desktop back up and running, that it'll take me about a week to come up with a 'joke script' for the first scene or so that'll serve as proof-of-concept.

#77 | Back to Top11-15-2006 09:30:50 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

CMK wrote:

Well, a lot depends on how the game is coded.  The text is apparently in Unicode, so it's a standard format.  The only real question is 'is this thing capable of outputting all unicode, or just a limited subset that doesn't include English characters."  If it is, then anyone with Japanese knowledge should be able to just translate the unicode, and we plug it in and everything's good, although the menus won't be translated this way.  On the other hand, It's just as likely to throw up junk or crash if someone tries this.  I think, once I get my desktop back up and running, that it'll take me about a week to come up with a 'joke script' for the first scene or so that'll serve as proof-of-concept.

I think all the text files are in the folder SSCD/TECHOU. They are .txt files. What program would you use to open these files and change the text? Would a coding editor work? Something like Crimson Editor?

#78 | Back to Top11-16-2006 12:00:10 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

What stops us from translating the menus and such? Are they graphic images?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#79 | Back to Top11-16-2006 12:09:11 AM

CMK
Rose Bride

Giovanna wrote:

What stops us from translating the menus and such? Are they graphic images?

Most likely, yes.  Even if they're not, they are instead almost certainly embedded deep in the code, and not as a simple external script file that can be replaced largely at will.  In the latter case, I seriously doubt anyone present has the expertise to go messing around.  In the former, they may have inserted some kind of tags into the file which serve as placement info.  Not something we can likely replicate, if it is there.  If not, well...honestly, messing around with the graphics data is beyond what I'm willing to mess with personally until we're sure the scripts can actually be edited.  One thing at a time.

As for handling unicode, in Windows XP it's a non-trivial task.  My estimate is that once I'm set up next week it'll take me 12 hours to get it done right, unless there's an editor out there.  But...if you want to go ahead, fine.  Just saying you're on your own, since I don't have the time to research it myself right now.

#80 | Back to Top11-16-2006 12:24:53 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Then I'm guessing at best we'd be translating the dialogue and writing a faq to accompany the work, something to explain the menus.

If we can't manage to edit the code for the dialogue, I'm sure we can write a translation faq, although it will be tricky as hell in a branching game...

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#81 | Back to Top11-16-2006 09:31:14 AM

Dani
IRG Messiah

CMK wrote:

As for handling unicode, in Windows XP it's a non-trivial task.  My estimate is that once I'm set up next week it'll take me 12 hours to get it done right, unless there's an editor out there.  But...if you want to go ahead, fine.  Just saying you're on your own, since I don't have the time to research it myself right now.

No, no, that's sounds great. I'm swamped also with the holidays coming up. I'll wait to see what's up. Also, I found out that a friend of a friend that's coming to Thanksgiving dinner not only has been studying Japanese for a few years but is an anime fan and has watched some Utena. Joy! I will PAY her to play the game with me if I have to. Maybe we can get some of the menus translated.

Last edited by Dani (11-16-2006 09:31:50 AM)

#82 | Back to Top11-16-2006 02:03:16 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

If you manage to do this I will love you forever. It is official.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#83 | Back to Top11-16-2006 02:22:22 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

ShatteredMirror wrote:

If you manage to do this I will love you forever. It is official.

Well, we'll just HAVE to do it then! emot-keke

Last edited by Dani (11-16-2006 02:22:43 PM)

#84 | Back to Top11-16-2006 07:17:20 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Sey wrote:

You can use also smart ftp, it's very user-friendly.

Thanks! I used it...very easy.

#85 | Back to Top11-17-2006 01:48:30 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Instructions on how to get the game to work on a PC with the emulator have been uploaded to the server now. Let me know if anything is unclear. emot-keke

#86 | Back to Top11-18-2006 07:33:38 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

junior wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm an anime fan whos been on a Utena kick lately, and I was thinking about the Saturn game, as, since I've seen the show a million times, its just about my only way to experience some new Utena material.

Amen, brother!

junior wrote:

I was thinking that the video game would be a good way to study Japanese (one of my part time goals) since it would display the text at the same time as you hear the characters talk, so you could look up the text while also learning the pronunciation.

You're unlikely to get the basics just from studying a video game, but once you have the basics, juxtaposing the text and its translation could be lots of fun and very helpful.  Good luck studying Japanese!  For me it's been a hell of a ride, and I'm not even very good at it yet!

junior wrote:

If anyone could put the ROM up on a torrent or FTP that'd be really cool.  If anyone wants me to set up a torrent, I'd gladly do that in return for being sent a ROM.

I think we're working on getting an FTP set up off of ohtori.nu -- see above.

junior wrote:

I was thinking that if we're serious about translating the game, we could set up a wiki or something.  We could put up the Japanese text file, and users could write the English translation below the lines of japanese text.

the other option is to load screen captures of the game up on the wiki, and English text below. 

(Maybe a wiki isn't the most efficient way to do a translation, I dunno, might be worth a shot though)

Good idea!  I think a wiki would be a really fascinating way to collaborate on translation projects.  I'm not sure it's practical in this case, though.  Context is critical whenever you translate something -- especially from Japanese, an incredibly context-sensitive language -- and when you're translating a dating game with tons of branches, putting quotes on a wiki for translation makes much of the context disappear.

There may also be technical problems, in that we aren't sure yet whether the game's text is stored in an easily readable text file, and it would take a LOT of screenshots to wikify the game if it's not, but the context problem is there regardless.

junior wrote:

Viva Utena!

Viva la révolution!

Last edited by satyreyes (11-18-2006 07:36:15 PM)

#87 | Back to Top11-21-2006 06:24:39 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

I think we're working on getting an FTP set up off of ohtori.nu -- see above.

Truth. PM me and I'll give you log-in information for the stuff on the domain; much easier than manually downloading it through your browser since my current host doesn't let you view directories. Then again...well, I'll keep an eye on my bandwidth. Please note: DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS STUFF FOR THE SAKE OF PUTTING ALMOST A GIG OF STUFF ON YOUR COMPUTER. I can manage, I think, to let everyone have a go at downloading, but do it if you seriously want it.

Also there are a butt-ton of videos from the game, too many to list here. If you want them, you'll need the FTP. Like I said, PM me. I haven't had a chance to test this stuff out, I've been in college limbo. emot-mad Hopefully I can give it a spin tonight.

RIGHT CLICK -> SAVE AS

http://ohtori.nu/danigame/Alcohol120_tr … 6.4629.exe (7mb)
http://ohtori.nu/danigame/SSF_008_alpha_R2.zip
http://ohtori.nu/danigame/Utena_Game_Instructions.doc DOWNLOAD THIS. DANI WROTE AN ABSOLUTELY AWESOME FAQ HERE AND YOU WILL NEED IT.
http://ohtori.nu/danigame/Utena_Sega1.iso (400mb)
http://ohtori.nu/danigame/Utena_Sega2.iso (500mb)

Thank you so much Dani!!!

#88 | Back to Top11-21-2006 09:51:37 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Dude, you're so awesome for hosting and Dani is awesome for... doing what she did, yeah.

Anyway, I downloaded everything and followed the instructions, but it says "fatal error" and won't play. Any idea why that happens?

Last edited by Hina the Prince (11-21-2006 10:54:50 AM)

#89 | Back to Top11-21-2006 10:04:36 AM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Hina the Prince wrote:

Dude, you're so awesome for hosting and Dani is awesome for... doing what he did, yeah.

Sorry "she", thanks. emot-keke

Hina the Prince wrote:

Anyway, I downloaded everything and followed the instructions, but it says "fatal error" and won't play. Any idea why that happens?

When does it say "fatal error"? What program is giving you that message? How far do you get in the process before you get that?

Also, what are your computer specs?

Last edited by Dani (11-21-2006 10:43:48 AM)

#90 | Back to Top11-21-2006 10:10:24 AM

Dani
IRG Messiah

I just bought a Japanese Sega Saturn. The game plays great on it. I think I can video capture footage right off the game. I'm waiting for a little gadget to come in the mail that will help with that. If any translators would like to take a crack at watching avi files of game moves and trying to translate, I can upload video clips. That's my Thanksgiving project hopefully. I'd like to know if there's interest in doing that.

#91 | Back to Top11-21-2006 10:25:44 AM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

Oh Finally!

Thanks a lot Gio and Dani emot-biggrin

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#92 | Back to Top11-21-2006 10:54:35 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Dani wrote:

Hina the Prince wrote:

Dude, you're so awesome for hosting and Dani is awesome for... doing what he did, yeah.

Sorry "she", thanks. emot-keke

Right, sorry! emot-keke;

Hina the Prince wrote:

When does it say "fatal error"? What program is giving you that message? How far do you get in the process before you get that?

Also, what are your computer specs?

A second after I open the game with the emulator, the "New Load" screen shows and then the screen fades to black.

And... I seriously have no idea what my computer specs are. I fail at computers. D: Is there a way I can check?

#93 | Back to Top11-21-2006 11:21:08 AM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Hina the Prince wrote:

A second after I open the game with the emulator, the "New Load" screen shows and then the screen fades to black.

Okay, so after the screen fades to black, then a message pops up and says "fatal error"? Just clarifying...

Hina the Prince wrote:

And... I seriously have no idea what my computer specs are. I fail at computers. D: Is there a way I can check?

Yep, go to "Start" in the bottom left corner of your computer screen, then go to "Run". In the "Run" box, type in dxdiag.exe . It will run for a sec and then it will ask you if you want to check for blah, blah, blah. Say "no". Then you will get the Direct X Diagnostic screen with your specs. Tell me the Operating System, the Processor, the Memory, and the Direct X Version.

#94 | Back to Top11-21-2006 11:32:01 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Dani wrote:

Hina the Prince wrote:

Okay, so after the screen fades to black, then a message pops up and says "fatal error"? Just clarifying...

To be accurate, it says "_DriveStatus_Play() error. Fatal error."

Hina the Prince wrote:

Yep, go to "Start" in the bottom left corner of your computer screen, then go to "Run". In the "Run" box, type in dxdiag.exe . It will run for a sec and then it will ask you if you want to check for blah, blah, blah. Say "no". Then you will get the Direct X Diagnostic screen with your specs. Tell me the Operating System, the Processor, the Memory, and the Direct X Version.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2946/tygpr4.png

#95 | Back to Top11-21-2006 12:04:53 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Hina the Prince wrote:

To be accurate, it says "_DriveStatus_Play() error. Fatal error."

Ahh, that is helpful. Okay, I'm going to try to recreate the problem on another computer to make sure...
When you open Alcohol 120%, is Disk 1 mounted in the virtual drive so it says "Media Present" next to the drive letter? This would be in the bottom pane... If so, and that part is okay, then it sounds like a BIOS error. Ok, I'll get back to you later tonight on this after I have a chance to work on it.

I think you should be able to play the game, but it might have hiccups/delays because your processor is a little slow for the emulator which requires a 3.0 processor.

#96 | Back to Top11-21-2006 12:24:03 PM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Dani wrote:

When you open Alcohol 120%, is Disk 1 mounted in the virtual drive so it says "Media Present" next to the drive letter?

Yes, it is.

Thank you very much for your help!

#97 | Back to Top11-21-2006 12:49:09 PM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

About images's translation, I think there is a chance, but it's like utopistic one.

All the games usually has "archives" coded in a different way to protect the files(Do you have world of warcraft, or simply warcraftIII? The MPQ files...). So someone must create an "extractor" to extract the protect files, and overwrite this with the translated files, and again create the "archive" file.

I know that this is possible because some patch for the hentai game works in this way, but the problem is create this extractor, of course emot-keke

#98 | Back to Top11-21-2006 12:57:17 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Sey wrote:

About images's translation, I think there is a chance, but it's like utopistic one.

All the games usually has "archives" coded in a different way to protect the files(Do you have world of warcraft, or simply warcraftIII? The MPQ files...). So someone must create an "extractor" to extract the protect files, and overwrite this with the translated files, and again create the "archive" file.

I know that this is possible because some patch for the hentai game works in this way, but the problem is create this extractor, of course emot-keke

Right, CMK is working on that I think. That kind of in-game translation would be AWESOME. But basically I'd even be happy with some good old-fashioned handwritten translations right off the TV screen at this point, that's why I thought I'd work on screen capturing the game as a I play it. Then anyone could watch it and translate it.

#99 | Back to Top11-21-2006 01:00:01 PM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

For now, I found this.

#100 | Back to Top11-21-2006 01:10:52 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Sey wrote:

For now, I found this.

SUH-WEET! You totally rock. I think I'll leave work early.

Also, I will email the creator and ask permission to include it on this site. Thanks, Sey!

UPDATE: The email address listed is no good so, Rurouni Kaji, if you see this, we thank you for the Sega FAQ.

Last edited by Dani (11-22-2006 08:15:45 PM)

Board footer