This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-30-2011 02:08:44 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Is Akio a classic psychopath?

When we hear the word psychopath we think of a crazy person swinging an axe around. However, the more I learned about the symptoms of true psychopathy the more I realized how much they described Akio.

Scott O. Lilienfield and Hal Arkowitz wrote:

First described systematically by Medical College of Georgia psychiatrist Hervey M. Cleckley in 1941, psychopathy consists of a specific set of personality traits and behaviors. Superficially charming, psychopaths tend to make a good first impression on others and often strike observers as remarkably normal. Yet they are self-centered, dishonest and undependable, and at times they engage in irresponsible behavior for no apparent reason other than the sheer fun of it. Largely devoid of guilt, empathy and love, they have casual and callous interpersonal and romantic relationships.

This describes Akio perfectly. He seems like a warm, charming, and fatherly person to Utena rather than a
raving lunatic. Everyone idolizes him and he seems to have everything a person could ask for but beneath it all is a selfish and very dangerous man who seeks the Power of Dios.

Psychopaths routinely offer excuses for their reckless and often outrageous actions, placing blame on others instead.

Remember the his car ride with Anthy in episode thirty-seven? She is screaming in pain and he blames the rest of the world for it. Even though he didn't originally stab her with a million swords he's certainly done a lot of psychological damage.

They rarely learn from their mistakes or benefit from negative feedback, and they have difficulty inhibiting their impulses.

Akio wants to restart the duels in the final episode. He is the only person unaffected by the revolution and is probably doomed to play with his little toys for all time.

Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic … path-means

What does everyone else think? Is Akio a psychopath or just a jerk?

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#2 | Back to Top05-31-2011 08:31:48 AM

Android raptor
Rose Smilee
Website

Re: Is Akio a classic psychopath?

I've actually been pondering on this myself lately due to an essay I need to get off my butt and write. I need to rewatch bits of the series, but I think Akio does indeed have a marked lack of concern for others and their feelings beyond what would just be a jerk. I'm not sure if he's a full-blown sociopath though, since I think there were a few things that might indicate he has some lingering thing resembling a conscience, not to mention in his days as Dios he was the polar opposite.

I want to see what the resident Akio fans have to say on the matter school-eng101

#3 | Back to Top05-31-2011 09:32:37 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Android raptor wrote:

I want to see what the resident Akio fans have to say on the matter school-eng101

There are more of us? emot-dance

I've wondered this same thing myself, before! In fact I started an essay on it once but never really finished. It becomes a bit of a formula to me. (If) Akio is essentially human, (than) he is absolutely a psychopath. (If) Akio does possess some non-human capacity to influence the world around him, (than) you have to decide which symptoms are psychopathic and which simply go along with unreal power in relation to others.

Either way an argument can be made that he's a psychopath. I've always mentally framed the same behaviors as a lack of development on his part. He's lived for god knows how long with no real source of negative feedback, no rules, and no guidelines. Definitely the circumstances that would create a psychopath. Why would he feel remorse for bad behavior when he's never punished for it, and never deals with the consequences? His lack of concern for others is the most disconcerting thing there. But he implies, and the story implies, that the source of that lack of concern is his being Dios' opposite. It was Dios' nature to care, so that Akio doesn't is just how that works.

I'd love to read an essay that approaches him purely from clinical psych. He's an enormous mess.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top06-01-2011 10:56:27 AM

Android raptor
Rose Smilee
Website

Interesting. Considering this, I think it's safe to say that human or not Akio is at least functionally a psychopath. And of course he's also highly intelligent (at least that's the impression I got), which makes him able to plot and conquer and douche around like nobodies business.

My essay won't be looking at him from a clinical perspective much emot-gonk More of comparing and contrasting him with another character who's one of the most undeniable sociopaths in all anime. I wasn't originally planning on delving into whether or not Akio is a sociopath in it, but now I think I should. FOR SCIENCE school-eng101

#5 | Back to Top06-01-2011 04:23:15 PM

Nebula
Miki Molester

While Akio fits several markers for psychopathy, there's one symptom that doesn't fit: poor impulse control.  While he indulges his vices, he's also a master schemer who constantly makes plans that I doubt a true psychopath or sociopath would be able to pull off.  However, I do think that his separation from Dios' power and a long lifespan full of deceit has killed his empathy to the point where the distinction is purely academic.

Board footer