This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-28-2007 12:15:01 PM

vitupera
New Student
Website

So where in the world...

Hello, study abroad student here, cut off from my DVDs and manga.  emot-frown  In the absence of these, could anyone tell me where they think Ohtori is on the map?  I dimly recollect the manga having more of a sense of place than the anime did-- maybe in the prologue, or when Akio takes Utena to the ocean?  I would love to hear any guesses as to which ocean they're at, or even what island they're on.

#2 | Back to Top03-28-2007 12:35:38 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: So where in the world...

I think we eventually figured they were in Tokyo, because you could see Tokyo Tower.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top03-28-2007 12:37:22 PM

Undead Princess
Saionji Slapper
Website

According to the forms the Black Rose duelists fill out to Mikage (such as Kanae and Kozue) it says they're in Kanagawa... this would make sense since you can see Tokyo Tower at one point, and the ferris wheel in the background of episode 33 is visible in that area (I should know since I've been there)

#4 | Back to Top03-28-2007 12:43:39 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

...now I have to go all over Kanagawa to find the exact spot that Ohtori should be.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#5 | Back to Top03-28-2007 02:22:41 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

In the manga, they mention Hou'ou'shi, or Hou'ou City, which is supposedly a sister-city to Amsterdam, but I have yet to find out where Hou'ou is. emot-frown

#6 | Back to Top03-28-2007 02:31:20 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

In the manga, they mention Hou'ou'shi, or Hou'ou City, which is supposedly a sister-city to Amsterdam, but I have yet to find out where Hou'ou is. emot-frown

I always wondered about that. Believe me, I looked it up several times. I don't know why, but it just seems strange that if it is indeed in Tokyo, it's sister school is in Amsterdam. Does that not seem slightly odd to anyone else? And in 'The Barefoot Girl' I believe they mention the sister school. It is all just so odd. And then they have to throw in all the French and English influence. Gah. That's Ikuhara for you though.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#7 | Back to Top03-28-2007 04:21:28 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Edmonton has a sister city in China, Harbin I believe (not sure if it's still called that) and from what I can gather, all it means is that the cities do certain things for each other, like send delegations, give each other presents, and make it known that these two cities are tied together. Of course, I learned all of that in grade six, so that may have all changed by now.

Edit:

Edmonton is an official sister city of several cities worldwide:

Harbin, Heilongjiang Province, China
Wonju, Gangwon province, South Korea
Austin, Texas
Nashville, Tennessee
Hull, Quebec (now a part of Gatineau, Quebec)

Last edited by Yasha (03-28-2007 04:24:24 PM)

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#8 | Back to Top03-28-2007 05:46:34 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Also in that same thread, there's a screencap of an envelope addressed to Miki and Kozue that shows their house is in Tokyo too.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#9 | Back to Top03-28-2007 06:38:48 PM

Undead Princess
Saionji Slapper
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Also in that same thread, there's a screencap of an envelope addressed to Miki and Kozue that shows their house is in Tokyo too.

Yes, but that's their house, not the school...
Just because you can see the Tokyo Tower doesn't mean you're in Tokyo. Kanagawa is part of the Greater Tokyo Area, but it's a prefecture in itself, as is Tokyo...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/UndeadPrincess/UtenaKanagawa.jpg

Kozue's form is the same, and I don't know if we see Keiko's (I double checked for Wakaba and Mitsuru, and we don't get a look at their form...) But either way, it'd be redundant since they're all from the same place.

#10 | Back to Top03-28-2007 08:12:08 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Undead Princess wrote:

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Yes, but that's their house, not the school...
Just because you can see the Tokyo Tower doesn't mean you're in Tokyo. Kanagawa is part of the Greater Tokyo Area, but it's a prefecture in itself, as is Tokyo...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/ … nagawa.jpg

Kozue's form is the same, and I don't know if we see Keiko's (I double checked for Wakaba and Mitsuru, and we don't get a look at their form...) But either way, it'd be redundant since they're all from the same place.

That's true. The address on Miki and Kozue's letter is for Suginami-ku, Tokyo, which is west-ish of Shinjuku.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#11 | Back to Top03-28-2007 08:24:17 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Yasha wrote:

Edmonton is an official sister city of several cities worldwide:

Harbin, Heilongjiang Province, China
Wonju, Gangwon province, South Korea
Austin, Texas
Nashville, Tennessee
Hull, Quebec (now a part of Gatineau, Quebec)

how cool! the town of Fairhaven MA (where i live) has a sister ciry in japan, Tosashimizu. in high shool we would have exchange students come down and stay for two weeks, we also have a fesitval for it and this year a friend of mine and i are having our own booth for it!! wer get to teach little brats to draw "anime" and teach a little about it. we were asked to make suggestions on what to play on a little tv behind us and i was like "UTENA!" and my friend just laughed at me. i dont know why that was the first thing into my head though.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#12 | Back to Top03-29-2007 08:42:54 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Yasha wrote:

I think we eventually figured they were in Tokyo, because you could see Tokyo Tower.

NULLIFIED!

That couldn't possibly be Tokyo for one reason and one reason only...

There's not enough room in the damn city for a sprawling beautiful academy.

I imagined that it was around kyoto for a while, but then I thought about it and realised that the general surrounding architecture is WAY too influenced by European designs to be in such a traditionalist area as Kyoto.

Ohtori is probably somewhere on Japan's coast near a populated area.  But not Osaka.  If it was... well... lets not even go there, shall we?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#13 | Back to Top03-29-2007 12:59:15 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

hyacinth_black wrote:

Yasha wrote:

NULLIFIED!

That couldn't possibly be Tokyo for one reason and one reason only...

There's not enough room in the damn city for a sprawling beautiful academy.

I suspect that the place is slighly, should we say 'floating' so, that we may witness landmarks of various places without rhyme or reason. I think that the letter that Miki's father sent to him and Kozue had "Tokyo" written on the address. Nevertheless, the place really doesn't feel like Tokyo, despite of the tower, like you say - it doesn't fit in the Metropolitan-area, physically or spiritually. Because of this I like to think that the Academy is exactly where it's convenient to be, at any given time.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#14 | Back to Top03-29-2007 04:09:08 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

That makes sense to me, like those shops in Disc World and such.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#15 | Back to Top11-30-2008 12:48:46 AM

Madam Cheezy
Ballgoer
Website

I always wondered about that. Believe me, I looked it up several times. I don't know why, but it just seems strange that if it is indeed in Tokyo, it's sister school is in Amsterdam. Does that not seem slightly odd to anyone else? And in 'The Barefoot Girl' I believe they mention the sister school. It is all just so odd. And then they have to throw in all the French and English influence. Gah. That's Ikuhara for you though.

It's the sister school to the one in Amsterdam, because that's where all the drugs are, and that's what makes the students there cattle-like. Because they're all high.

I mean, really, would you care if anything you saw at Ohtori seemed strange to you if you were high?
Probably not. It's just the drugs, man.

emot-tongue

When I had asked my cat, 'Who's the best?' he stared back and said simply, 'Mao.'

"Arise, gay ocelot, and bitch up the fagtastic sniz-ake."
-My husband, drabble-ing

#16 | Back to Top11-30-2008 02:53:12 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Madam Cheezy wrote: because that's where all the drugs are, and that's what makes the students there cattle-like. Because they're all high.

Now I can't watch those crowds of students walking aimlessly in the credits without sniggering. emot-rofl

#17 | Back to Top11-30-2008 09:13:41 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Madam Cheezy wrote:

I mean, really, would you care if anything you saw at Ohtori seemed strange to you if you were high?
Probably not. It's just the drugs, man.

emot-tongue

It took THIS freakin' long for somebody to say that? We've had the forums up for HOW LONG and somebody has the cojones to finally say that? emot-confused

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#18 | Back to Top11-30-2008 01:25:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I bet for those who don't attend Ohtori Academy, it looks like the run down basement of a house. Like in Fight Club. Except Tyler Durden has a Peter Pan complex.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#19 | Back to Top11-30-2008 03:44:18 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Well now, that is made of win. My explaination was always: "Think of Elric Melnibone..." the world expands when it has to. That may be the cold talking, though. Like winter, prefer summer for when I can swim.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#20 | Back to Top11-30-2008 11:08:39 PM

Madam Cheezy
Ballgoer
Website

Quoth Giovanna:

I bet for those who don't attend Ohtori Academy, it looks like the run down basement of a house. Like in Fight Club. Except Tyler Durden has a Peter Pan complex.

Exactly. That's why it has so many could-be places. Once the Japanese police crack down on one house, they shuffle off to the next squat.

The roses? Bunched newspaper.
The swords? Broomsticks. (Movie reference, here. They even show it bluntly in the first duel. emot-tongue )

The rings are twist-ties, Chu-chu is a New York-sized rat, and Dios is seen as a god-like figure because he is, *gasp*, the best drug lord there is. He is the pied piper of LSD.

When I had asked my cat, 'Who's the best?' he stared back and said simply, 'Mao.'

"Arise, gay ocelot, and bitch up the fagtastic sniz-ake."
-My husband, drabble-ing

#21 | Back to Top02-19-2010 11:43:25 PM

Tangerine Lieutenant
Wakaba Wrangler

In the Sega Saturn game, it is said that the Ohtori Academy is located in "Houou City".
Don't have a clue about what city is that, still I'm not good with that stuff emot-confused

http://images.orkut.com/orkut/photos/OgAAAJW7fydPMUlRMe9GCWXUi44-4Z2ing9qe4dCYDNbUQIKXWNCS8c5PYWjm89ce2jjIjxElMvo_CYmWERUA7mhPLIAm1T1ULZIfsYaDT5Tra_vIiG_UOMA4LvM.jpg

#22 | Back to Top02-20-2010 12:15:37 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Tangerine Lieutenant wrote:

In the Sega Saturn game, it is said that the Ohtori Academy is located in "Houou City".
Don't have a clue about what city is that, still I'm not good with that stuff emot-confused

That's where it was in the manga I believe.
I always assumed it was a fake city they made up cause the name fits so well with Ohtori.

#23 | Back to Top02-20-2010 12:46:46 AM

Tangerine Lieutenant
Wakaba Wrangler

allegoriest wrote:

Tangerine Lieutenant wrote:

That's where it was in the manga I believe.
I always assumed it was a fake city they made up cause the name fits so well with Ohtori.

I'll check it out after some sleep, to tell U the truth I was wonderin' about the some thing.
Tomorrow we talk again, then. emot-wink

Last edited by Tangerine Lieutenant (02-20-2010 12:54:50 AM)

http://images.orkut.com/orkut/photos/OgAAAJW7fydPMUlRMe9GCWXUi44-4Z2ing9qe4dCYDNbUQIKXWNCS8c5PYWjm89ce2jjIjxElMvo_CYmWERUA7mhPLIAm1T1ULZIfsYaDT5Tra_vIiG_UOMA4LvM.jpg

#24 | Back to Top02-20-2010 11:27:45 AM

Tangerine Lieutenant
Wakaba Wrangler

According to the JBC brazilian translation of the mangá, Ohtori Academy is located in Houou City (Cidade de Houou).

#25 | Back to Top02-20-2010 11:44:59 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

What could be happening here is not a matter of time and space, but a matter of Multiversal proportions.

Ruminate on this: Who said the Earth that Ohtori Academy is in is OUR Earth? Sure, it might be in Japan, but nobody said it was the Japan we know. For all we know, Hou'ou City and Ohtori Academy are a reasonable part of an alternate Earth in an alternate Universe in an entirely Alternate Dimension. Which just so conveniently supports concepts like sorcery, which is as far as I'm concerned the only way Akio, Mikage and Anthy are able to do what they pull off in the series.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

Board footer