This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top10-29-2008 04:17:49 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: Creepiest Moments in SKU

Oh, and let's not forget Miki's piano instructor!  emot-gonk

#52 | Back to Top10-29-2008 04:42:30 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Oh, and let's not forget Miki's piano instructor!  emot-gonk

I always found the panting sounds he makes running down the stairs to be a little on the obscene side...altho maybe that was just me and my filthy, filthy mind XD

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#53 | Back to Top10-29-2008 06:37:09 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

BlackRoseVixen wrote:

the boys pop up on the screen and turn and look at you.... *shudders*

*agrees wholeheartedly*

dollface wrote:

I guess I'm in the same boat as Hiraku (albiet for different reasons). If this is the case, I'm a sick individual.

I don't like you anymore. emot-tongue Kidding. *hugs*

dabouse1 wrote:

Am I the only one that found Touga about to eat a Nanami-stake creepy?

Nope. I was planning to mention it actually--until you beat me. school-devil

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#54 | Back to Top10-30-2008 03:31:04 PM

Blacky
Miki Molester

Well there are some scary scenes in SKU...
1) Utena (in Anthy`s body) is going to write in Saionji`s diary. She was soooo angry...
2)When the people killed Anthy. She wanted to protect Dios...
3)The swords were going to kill Utena, when she sad: "Sorry, Anthy. Sorry for playing prince".

Do you like people? Do you like thes wonderful world? Yes? Let`s skake hands!

#55 | Back to Top10-30-2008 03:35:54 PM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Oh my, I remedmber now!

While the swords were approaching, there were whispers all around "Witch! Witch! Witch!"... That creeped me as much as Nemuro boys emot-gonk

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#56 | Back to Top10-30-2008 05:16:41 PM

omg_fandom
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

To Me, the creepiest moment will always be finding out Mamiya was actually Anthy.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w204/izzes_/Sains/newSIGNS_kamina-sama_DR.png
Some Pimping is necessary.  Go check out Double K at deviantart, because it's the best thing since Jesus.

#57 | Back to Top10-30-2008 07:04:37 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Akio: You didn't even take off your ring that one time.
Utena grins

Not exactly creepy but dismaying.

#58 | Back to Top10-30-2008 07:06:59 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

brian wrote:

Akio: You didn't even take off your ring that one time.
Utena grins

Not exactly creepy but dismaying.

This scene is particuarly creepy when it fades to the flashback. For a second it looks almost like Young Utena sitting on the couch as the background changes. I think that's the same episode....

20 threads dead so far.

#59 | Back to Top10-31-2008 02:25:07 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

The Terms of the Duelist gets to me. Next to the finale, I consider it the most intense episode. Mikage's sheer delusion and madness is both sympathetic and utterly pathetic. Not to mention I think Mamiya's performance revealed so much of Anthy. His talk of eternity seems far more sinister in light of her history. Not to mention this is the episode where Akio's true ruthlessness is shown; he arranges the brutal and horrible murder of a hundred young men, after all. In comparison, his "deflowering" of Utena seems rather insignificant. And just think...all those spirits still linger on campus. If someone dies in Ohtori, is someone trapped there forever? Why the hell was Mikage stupid enough to have pictures of his victims on his walls? Genius my ass.

Halloween thoughts.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#60 | Back to Top10-31-2008 04:19:46 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

Katzenklavier wrote:

Why the hell was Mikage stupid enough to have pictures of his victims on his walls?

Just in case he was suspected, of course.

Mikage: "Why, of course I didn't kill them, your honor. I have pictures of the victims on my walls." emot-biggrin

Speaking of which, when Utena sees those pictures, a close-up of once flashes on screen and all the boys in the photo turn to face her (i.e. us). That's pretty damn creepy too.

#61 | Back to Top10-31-2008 05:46:43 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

OnionPrince wrote:

Speaking of which, when Utena sees those pictures, a close-up of once flashes on screen and all the boys in the photo turn to face her (i.e. us). That's pretty damn creepy too.

My favourite moment with those pictures is when one falls facedown, and then the others fall together in the duel arena. It's not creepy, exactly, but it still twisted my guts something terrible. Poor crazy Professor Nemuro. emot-gonk

ETA: The narrative reason for Mikage having those photographs, IMO, is that it was symbolic of what Akio calls the time where he stopped changing. Mikage is sustained by a perfect memory, a "snapshot" of the time when his life was perfect (which is often what a photograph can be; a tangible memory). However, Akio photoshopped the hell out of Nemuro's memory in order to create Mikage, and when the real photograph of Mamiya and Tokiko falls over that is when Mikage lets it go.

OnionPrince's reason may hold up better in court, though. But don't try this at home, kids -- as always, your mileage may vary. emot-biggrin

Last edited by Clarice (10-31-2008 05:51:26 AM)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#62 | Back to Top10-31-2008 06:57:50 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Clarice, your analysis of even the most twisted moments in Utena never ceases to amaze me school-freud

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#63 | Back to Top10-31-2008 09:44:59 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Clarice wrote:

Akio photoshopped the hell out of Nemuro's memory...

*dies laughing*

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#64 | Back to Top11-01-2008 05:55:00 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Katzenklavier wrote:
Why the hell was Mikage stupid enough to have pictures of his victims on his walls?

Personally I think it's for the same reason that Akio and Anthy do it in the middle of the observatory, over and over, when Utena is sleeping in the next room and could walk in at any minute!

That's right...DAMN GOOD TV. school-devil

On a more serious note, you analysis was cool Clarice.

#65 | Back to Top10-26-2009 10:25:11 PM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

I was first introduced to the fandom through the movie, so I had no idea what the actual series was about because the movie makes no sense.
But anyways, that scene, where Anthy is undressing to show Utena her 'scar' or whatever you'd call the gaping hole in her silhouette, and then they start zooming in on the paintings, I wanted to close my eyes it was so eerie and I had no idea what was going to happen next. Utena's eyes were widening and at the time I kept thinking of the bloody corpse from The Shining so I was thoroughly afraid of what might happen next.

The same reaction came later on when the 'video' of her brother and her comes up. I think its the lack of a soundtrack or anything moving in the scene, just the figures. I determined SKU was part horror after this, and was surprised to see nothing else quite that eerie in the series until Anthy started disappearing from her dresses...which was also followed by the creepy 100 victims staring at the viewer and the outlining of the dead bodies on the duel floor during the Black Rose arc.

Last edited by haelsyx (10-26-2009 10:32:17 PM)

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#66 | Back to Top10-26-2009 10:56:21 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

The movie did creep me out too. That part where she shows her the scar, and mainly with Makio the rapist drugging her. The creepiest thing is music. It's this waltzy crap that keeps repeating itself.
*Duh duhn nuh, Duh duhn nuh, Nuh Nuh Nuh Nuh Nuh Nuhn Nah Nah*

#67 | Back to Top10-27-2009 01:41:05 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

sharnii wrote:

Katzenklavier wrote:

Personally I think it's for the same reason that Akio and Anthy do it in the middle of the observatory, over and over, when Utena is sleeping in the next room and could walk in at any minute!

That's right...DAMN GOOD TV. school-devil

I always assumed Anthy/Mamiya put them up, which is part of why she is absent for the first part of that episode.

#68 | Back to Top10-27-2009 04:01:44 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I always assumed Anthy/Mamiya put them up, which is part of why she is absent for the first part of that episode.

Or else Mikage simply doesn't see anything bad or questionable about what he does, and fully intended to go straight with Utena once she'd been allied with him, thinking that she'd naturally agree with him. Geniouses can have blind spots, too. emot-rolleyes

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#69 | Back to Top10-27-2009 04:25:49 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

^

Actually I thought someone put them up so others would find them, to brag about what happened. Like a serial killer displaying clippings of their murders on the wall.

20 threads dead so far.

#70 | Back to Top10-27-2009 04:41:05 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

My Anthy theory is more based off on how she got those photos... and we all know Akio is the one running the projector and loves his camera.  Although, Lightice does make a good point.  And it really works for Mikage's character.  Perhaps Mamiya gave him the photos, and in addition to the reasons Lightice mentioned, displays them like a proud parent putting his child's doodles on the fridge?

Oh the creepy get it off get it off.

#71 | Back to Top11-02-2009 05:05:32 PM

minervana
High Tripper

For me, one of the creepiest moments, or at least a disturbing moment is when Touga burns Saionji's exchange diary. I think that's when the anime started to "turn" from being a lighthearted teen show into something more sinister...or at least, that's the first real hint of where it's going to go.

Also, seeing Utena and Akio kiss. Near the horse in the forest. It's the ideal prince/princess scenario, and it's wrong, so so very wrong. I mean, she's 14 and he's--what? 32?

Last edited by minervana (11-02-2009 05:07:10 PM)

#72 | Back to Top11-02-2009 06:23:17 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Utena's 14, but Akio and Anthy are, for all intent and purpose, timeless.

Which kinda renders the whole "half your age plus 7" thing a moot point.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#73 | Back to Top11-02-2009 08:12:30 PM

GreyRoseDuellist
Miki Molester

Hmmm.

I'd say the first time Anthy takes off her glasses and does that slow dead-eyed turn around.

In the very last episode, when the swords are heading towards Utena, screeching. That last shot before they cut away. OMG. So effed up.

The first time the Black Rose boys turned around at the end of the thirteenth episode.

My affluence makes a nonsense of the regulations!

#74 | Back to Top11-04-2009 04:03:01 PM

minervana
High Tripper

BioKraze wrote:

Utena's 14, but Akio and Anthy are, for all intent and purpose, timeless.

Which kinda renders the whole "half your age plus 7" thing a moot point.

It makes it even worse!

#75 | Back to Top11-05-2009 09:35:14 PM

Cyrias
Tenjou Tilter

Whenever Anthy uses her shiny glasses motif, and especially when she's watching Utena with those indiscribable eyes... All the red chalk outlines of the fallen people in the arena also does it for me, and whenever Akio wants to be CLOSE to Utena by using his White prince personality and the car outside, kissing her foot...ick. Anthy the witch stabed Utena with her sword without heistation.  Little Utena asleep in her coffin emot-gonk
*the scene in Akio's car with Touga and Sainoji* emot-aaa

Last edited by Cyrias (11-05-2009 09:48:25 PM)

In lumine tuo, videbimus amor ('In your light, we shall love') Slippy slippery mambo~ everyone at Ohtori is in some kind of spiritual land, created by Goddess Anthy and her brother Akio?!

Board footer