This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-22-2012 09:57:44 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Election 2012: Four More Years?

OITL had a post in Gripes about the impact of not voting that made me want to start this thread.  Yes, it's a little late in the cycle -- Election Day is Thursday, November 6 -- but seeing as we're only a month and a half out and I don't know who the hell I'm voting for yet, I thought maybe we could rap about the election.

First things first: Are you a U.S. citizen who will be at least 18 years old on Election Day?  If so, you better register to vote if you haven't already -- registration deadlines are imminent in several states.  You just have to register once and you can vote for the rest of your life.  And of course it's free, because you're a citizen of the United States and voting is your goddamn birthright.

Okay.  This thread is for all election discussion, but I thought I'd kick things off with my own dilemma.  I don't know who I'm voting for yet.  Here is my problem.

1) My rule has always been that I vote for the person who I most want to become the next president.
2) That person is not Barack Obama.  In fact, I'm somewhat unhappy with Barack Obama.
3) But I would much rather see Barack Obama win than Mitt Romney, while my first choice, Rocky Anderson of the Justice Party, cannot win the election because he is not on enough states' ballots.
4) I happen to live in an important swing state, and my vote has a better than usual chance of mattering.

Has anyone else faced the question of whether to vote third-party in an election whose outcome you cared about?  How did you make your decision?  Did the major-party candidate you preferred win or lose?  How did you feel about your vote afterward?

The floor is open for discussion on these or any other questions about the election.  As always, keep it classy, everyone.  emot-smile

#2 | Back to Top09-22-2012 11:14:17 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: Election 2012: Four More Years?

I'm not 100 percent happy with Obama, and his recent support for women's healthcare rights and gay marriage doesn't change that -I am happy about it, don't get me wrong, but I am used to social issues being used as campaigns for Democratic presidents and little else.  Still, I am interested in his healthcare reform and at this stage want to see it go through and give it its fair chance.  Obama may not fight for what I want him to fight for, but I fear a candidate like Romney might actively fight against it. 

My biggest dilemma comes from wanting to be as informed as possible on my choices and on the issues, which as of lately I am most certainly not.  My opinions above are based on the assumptions of what a democratic versus a republican candidate would do in office for the most part, and not stringent and specific knowledge of their goals and political pasts.

#3 | Back to Top09-22-2012 11:15:43 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Were it not for the fact that you brought up Rocky Anderson, I would not have remembered that United States have more than just Democrats and Republicans.

While my knowledge of Rocky Anderson right now is limited to what wikipedia tells me, I'm fairly impressed by the piece about him calling for impeachment of George W. Bush.

On a personal note, since I got my citizenship only two years ago, this is gonna be my first time voting! It will be fun.

#4 | Back to Top09-22-2012 11:30:30 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hiraku wrote:

On a personal note, since I got my citizenship only two years ago, this is gonna be my first time voting! It will be fun.

Oooh, how exciting!  Congratulations!  emot-biggrin

It's important that you know, if you don't already, that the winner of the election is going to be either Obama or Romney.  Third-party and independent candidates do not win presidential elections in American politics; they almost never even get included in debates and are rarely presented as choices in polls.  They're lucky to even get on the ballot.*  So while we do have more than just Democrats and Republicans, most people tend to ignore candidates who aren't one or the other, and this is reasonable.  Third parties are mostly kind of a running joke.  The punchline is that, in general, third-party and independent candidates are the only ones who actually believe the things they say in their campaign speeches.

*My state, Florida, makes it easy to get on the ballot, but most states erect pretty strong barriers to third parties.  Only Obama, Romney, and possibly Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson will be on the ballot in every state, and only one other candidate, the Green Party's Jill Stein, is on enough ballots that she could mathematically win.  Both Johnson and Stein are worth looking at if you don't like Obama or Romney -- but they won't even win a single state.

#5 | Back to Top09-23-2012 12:19:56 AM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Hi, not a U.S. citizen, but...

satyreyes wrote:

Okay.  This thread is for all election discussion, but I thought I'd kick things off with my own dilemma.  I don't know who I'm voting for yet.  Here is my problem.

1) My rule has always been that I vote for the person who I most want to become the next president.
2) That person is not Barack Obama.  In fact, I'm somewhat unhappy with Barack Obama.
3) But I would much rather see Barack Obama win than Mitt Romney, while my first choice, Rocky Anderson of the Justice Party, cannot win the election because he is not on enough states' ballots.
4) I happen to live in an important swing state, and my vote has a better than usual chance of mattering.

Which confused me when I first saw this thread, because...

satyreyes wrote:

...The winner of the election is going to be either Obama or Romney.  Third-party and independent candidates do not win presidential elections in American politics; they almost never even get included in debates and are rarely presented as choices in polls.

As you know there are only two possible winners to the election and you favour one over the other, why is it still a problem? While your first rule is the conflict, it's also tempered by limiting yourself to actual candidates. Unless Rocky Anderson is your first choice out of all possible people, shouldn't you do a write-in vote?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#6 | Back to Top09-23-2012 06:35:29 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Write-in votes are not even tabulated unless the candidate is a "qualified write-in candidate."  If I wrote in your name, Ragnarok, my vote would not be tabulated at all (unless you are secretly running a campaign for president that I don't know about).  Some goofs do, of course, write in Santa Claus or Jon Stewart or whatever, and their votes are also not tabulated.  Rocky Anderson is not my first choice out of all possible people -- only my (current) first choice out of all people who are actually running for president.  I guess that might count as a compromise of my Point 1, but voting for someone on the ballot at least lets me cling to the slim possibility that voting third-party can send a message to the major parties that I think they need to field better candidates.  I can't do that if my vote isn't counted.

#7 | Back to Top09-23-2012 06:55:22 AM

Dazmi
Miki Molester
Website

Before I say anything, I should state that I am not a US citizen.
Now for controversy! I don't usually pay close attention to American politics, but elections are always fun, so I'm just going to go ahead and state my opinion on the big two.

Obama: My stance on him is fairly neutral. I don't like him, I don't hate him. I agree with him on some issues, some against. Amongst other reasons, he'd be a maybe for me.
Mitt: My stance on this guy is a little less laid back. Not that I hate the guy, but there isn't a lot that I agree with. For me, he's an easy non-consideration.

Last edited by Dazmi (09-23-2012 07:08:04 AM)

#8 | Back to Top09-23-2012 01:15:24 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

I'm voting for Obama. While there are some things about the Obama administration that I dislike, Mitt Romney is way, way worse. In my opinion, he's even worse than Bush was. I'm a college student from a lower middle class family and I'm also a woman and I identify as being mostly gay (most of the people I find attractive are women and while I occasionally like men, I don't like them enough to consider myself bisexual). Mitt Romney sure as hell isn't looking out for my interests, in fact he's actively seeking out ways to oppress me.

Oh, and since I receive Pell Grants and subsidized loans to help me go to school, I'm one of the 47% of the people in the country who Mitt Romney says that he isn't obligated to give a crap about.

Edit: I would also like to mention that Bush left office with eight years of fuckups, so logically to me it would take about eight years to clean up that mess.

Last edited by CausalityStar (09-23-2012 01:16:27 PM)

#9 | Back to Top09-23-2012 08:52:24 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Thanks for reminding me I need to transfer my voter registration. I just moved to California.

That being said, I neither then nor now live in exactly a swing state, or swing district. In Arizona I lived in Paradise Valley (a neocon stronghold), and I currently live in Los Angeles, close to UCLA (QED). I still vote, but I was struck with a sense of futility, especially given our lovely electoral college system.

Fucking two party system--I would go into more detail about this if I did not have to be somewhere in an hour. It's bullshit and serves as intellectual shorthand and a pre-packaged set of beliefs.

#10 | Back to Top09-25-2012 08:12:56 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Crap, is it too late to get my absentee stuff done? emot-frown I'll actually be in the United States on election day, but I'll be in like...Idaho. Or Montana.

I'll be voting for Obama, because I'm a godless heartless pragmatist and Romney terrifies me, so I'm voting to not elect him. Sadly, my entire history as a voter has been more about voting against the candidate that scares me than it's been about voting for the one I believe in.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#11 | Back to Top09-25-2012 08:23:41 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Gio, Florida actually makes it really easy to vote absentee.  You can request a ballot right up until six days before the election.  Homestead is in Dade County, right?  If so, all you have to do is fill out this online form and they'll send you your ballot.  Make sure you allow plenty of time for the ballot to go back and forth; if they don't have it by 7 PM on Election Day, it's not counted!

#12 | Back to Top09-25-2012 08:33:21 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

I'll be voting for Obama, because I'm a godless heartless pragmatist and Romney terrifies me, so I'm voting to not elect him. Sadly, my entire history as a voter has been more about voting against the candidate that scares me than it's been about voting for the one I believe in.

True believers are dangerous. Totally serious.

#13 | Back to Top09-28-2012 05:49:18 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Gio, Florida actually makes it really easy to vote absentee.  You can request a ballot right up until six days before the election.  Homestead is in Dade County, right?  If so, all you have to do is fill out this online form and they'll send you your ballot.  Make sure you allow plenty of time for the ballot to go back and forth; if they don't have it by 7 PM on Election Day, it's not counted!

You sir, are the wind beneath my wings. I've sent away for my ballot. Hopefully it arrives quickly. Everyone up here is jealous because I get to vote in the election that they seem actually to be more interested in than their own.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#14 | Back to Top10-12-2012 07:03:49 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Voted.

It's terrifying some of the amendments on the Florida ballot, and how tricky their wording is to make you ultimately miss the point. I have to say being able to research as I vote is a huge advantage. This is the first time that I can honestly say each decision I made was as well informed as it should be. Even then, there were candidates on the ballot who were almost non-existent on the internet.

#15 | Back to Top10-12-2012 07:41:10 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I had the same reaction.  I have no idea how much pregame work the average voter puts into voting, but if someone walks into a Florida voting booth on Election Day without doing eir research first, e's going to spend all day there.  There are eleven ballot measures, and some of them are important, while others are unbelievably abstruse.

The worst example: one of the proposed amendments requires Florida voters to decide whether the student member of the state university system's board of governors shall be the president of the Florida Student Association, as it is now, or the president of a special body convened by the Board of Governors.  I had no idea what conceivable importance this question could have.  It turns out that the amendment is the result of lobbying by Florida State University, which doesn't want to pay dues to the Florida Student Association and whose students are thus not eligible to be on the Board of Governors.  But this is obviously something FSU and the FSA should hash out privately, not something that requires us to amend the state constitution.  I think the right vote on the merits is "no," but even before the merits, a "no" vote would be defensible if only to say "hey, work it out yourselves, don't get us involved!"

I voted no on almost all the amendments, which I guess was predictable, given that the amendments are put on the ballot by Florida's Republican-dominated legislature, and I don't see eye-to-eye with Florida Republicans on most things.  emot-gonk

#16 | Back to Top10-12-2012 11:26:29 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ugh it took me like twenty minutes to figure out what the hell was going on with that one. Amendment 3 was also an amazing wall of text that I honestly wonder how the average American even chooses the vote on. A lot of the problem with the ballots is that most people are going in there to vote for a president. They don't know about the supreme court justices and whether they should be kept in their office. It means that even someone decently informed about the president and maybe the senatorial races is at some point on that ballot going to pick and choose, because the ballot does not tell you anything about the two obscure names three pages in.

Or the one name and then a slot for write in. Thanks for the option guys. emot-rolleyes

I almost eyerolled my optic nerve out over the amendments about religion and abortion. I know how the average voter thinks, and they're not going to read the tail part of that amendment. emot-mad

And then there were amendments that I actually really liked in principle and then thought about how they'd be used. The ballot I have in the mail here, the ballot so many Americans are going to look at, is hard to read, often manipulatively worded, and frankly is above and beyond the comprehension skills of the average voter, even when I give that group a little credit for being more or less literate. I'm a decently intelligent person with excellent reading comprehension, and that ballot was maybe only two steps below the fine print on my credit cards. It's a real problem, I think, and leads to a lot of uninformed decisions.

#17 | Back to Top10-13-2012 06:59:12 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Oh yes, you mean the amendment that's headlined "Freedom Of Religion" and then turns out to allow the state to give money to religious organizations, as though that had anything to do with freedom of religion.  emot-rolleyes  I thought that one was funny, too, in an FML kind of way.

#18 | Back to Top10-13-2012 08:31:57 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

satyreyes wrote:

I voted no on almost all the amendments, which I guess was predictable, given that the amendments are put on the ballot by Florida's Republican-dominated legislature, and I don't see eye-to-eye with Florida Republicans on most things.  emot-gonk

I generally vote no on amendments, but I'm curious which ones you voted in favor of. I've only just started my research (bad voter, I know), so for anyone in a similar jumping point situation, I've found Ballotpedia is a good start.

I'm with Gio, tbh, when it comes to voting defensively, as opposed to idealistically. There are things about the Obama administration I'm pleased with, and things that I'm not. There's nothing about Romey's campaign that pleases me, and plenty that horrifies me.

I wonder though, what the current administration would have been able to achieve with a less hostile Congress.

Last edited by MissMocha (10-13-2012 08:33:29 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#19 | Back to Top10-13-2012 03:25:59 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I voted yes only on 2 and 11, and even those were close calls.  The story with 2 is that we already give property tax breaks to veterans who lived in Florida at the time they served.  2 extends those breaks to veterans who moved to Florida after they served, if they are combat-disabled.  Sort-of-similarly, 11 allows property tax breaks for low-income homeowning seniors who have lived in their house for 25 years.  I would feel bad to kick a combat-disabled veteran out of his or her house, and same for a low-income senior who has lived in one place for so long, and I'm willing in principle to pay higher taxes to help keep this from happening, so I voted yes on these two.

#20 | Back to Top10-13-2012 07:15:25 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I cannot wait to vote this year.

Because Todd Akin.

emot-mad

#21 | Back to Top10-13-2012 10:40:09 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I cannot wait to vote this year.

Because Todd Akin.

emot-mad

Your vote will cancel out my mom's, and my vote will cancel out my sister's. emot-rolleyes

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#22 | Back to Top10-14-2012 03:15:57 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

One of the few times I'm glad my mother and sister are Witnesses.  They don't vote.

Oh god that was an awful thing to say.  emot-frown

#23 | Back to Top10-23-2012 09:31:58 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Disclaimer: I'm working from memory here, not a transcript. I apologize for any details I may have gotten wrong.

Tonight I watched the third-party presidential debate, produced by the Free and Equal Election Foundation.  The most striking fact about the debate may have been that the TV station broadcasting it live (and streaming it over the Internet) was Al Jazeera English.  Yes, the two-party system is so entrenched that we now need Al Jazeera to cover American elections.  On stage were the Green Party's Jill Stein, the Justice Party's Rocky Anderson, the Constitution Party's Virgil Goode, and the Libertarian Party's Gary Johnson.  Stein is an internist who has run several failed campaigns for office in Massachusetts with the Green Party; Anderson is a lawyer who served as mayor of Salt Lake City for eight years as a Democrat; Goode is a lawyer who served for twelve years as a U.S. Representative from Virginia, first as a Democrat, then as an independent, and finally as a Republican; and Johnson is an entrepreneur who governed New Mexico for eight years as a Republican.

I had mixed feelings about the questions, which covered topics like the War on Drugs, campaign finance, the military, and executive power.  On one hand, it's great that these important issues can be addressed in this forum, while they were almost completely absent from the debates between Obama and Romney.  On the other hand, these questions came at the expense of important questions about the economy, as though anything that Obama and Romney are talking about is too banal for the third-party candidates to talk about.  I don't think the omission helped the credibility of third parties generally.

Moderating was Larry King, who said he respected the willingness of these candidates to "tilt at windmills."  And you know, it was a pretty good tilt.  None of the candidates was anything like Obama or Romney.  Goode was far to the right of both major-party candidates, and I disagreed with him almost point-by-point -- among other things, he would like to end all immigration until unemployment is below 5% -- but I liked listening to him anyway; he's a straight talker and had the best sense of humor of anyone on stage.  There wasn't much visible policy daylight between Stein and Anderson, both to the left of the major parties; both emphasized getting out of foreign wars, rolling back the expansion of executive power, taking a hard line against climate change, and sending students to public universities on the federal dime.  Johnson (along with Goode) would like to balance the budget next year by cutting half of all federal spending, and he would also reduce the war powers of the president; he also invoked his impressive business and political resume more frequently than the other candidates.

All four candidates agreed that there is too much money in politics, and all of them had ideas for what to do about it.  Stein and Anderson would like to publicly finance campaigns and amend the Constitution to overturn Citizens United and allow Congress to exercise more control over campaign finance.  Goode and Johnson thought Citizens United should stand, and instead said that term limits for members of Congress were a better way to limit the political clout of campaign contributors.  (Johnson may have had the best line of the evening: all candidates should be required to wear NASCAR-like jackets with their sponsors emblazoned on them.)

Everyone but Goode agreed that the War on Drugs is a waste of money.  Johnson and Stein only rebuked marijuana prohibition directly, while Anderson would have liked to go farther and repeal all laws against drug use, treating drug abuse as a public health issue instead of a criminal justice issue.  Goode would reduce spending on the drug war in order to help balance the budget, but thinks that the drug war is basically a good idea.

My subjective sense was that of those on stage, Johnson and Anderson showed the keenest senses of history and pragmatism; though they disagreed vigorously about some economic issues, both marshaled historical and statistical arguments to make their cases.  The two were also the best orators.  Stein also used some statistics, but it seemed to me that her quotation-heavy presentation appealed mostly to values rather than workability -- not that this was entirely a bad thing.  Goode was laconic and direct, and usually did not use all of his allotted time; as far as he was concerned, his job was to say simply what he believed and what he would do as president, not to give a lecture.

It was nice to watch a debate where everyone was advocating for causes that they truly believe in, where the applause lines were not tested by focus groups.  The certainty of defeat seemed to liberate the candidates to speak with passion and without fear.  It would have been fascinating and, I think, very good for the public discourse to have seen any of these four share a stage with Obama and Romney.

#24 | Back to Top11-03-2012 12:12:12 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Election home stretch primer.

It feels like it's taken an eternity to get this far, but welcome to the last four days.  Election Day is Tuesday -- and if you're a U.S. citizen and you haven't yet voted, make sure you get your butt to the polls!

When it comes to the presidential election, as always, every vote counts, but because of the Electoral College system, not every vote counts equally.  There are really only about ten states -- and I'm being generous here -- where the outcome is still in real doubt.  Here they are, from reddest to bluest.  I've put the number of electoral votes and the probability of Obama winning each state next to its name; the probabilities come from InTrade, a political betting site, and from FiveThirtyEight, a site that predicts electoral outcomes based primarily on the polls.  InTrade comes first.  Before these ten states, Obama has 217 electoral votes and Romney has 191.  It takes 270 to win.

North Carolina (15 EV; Obama to win at 20-21%).  All the states on this list voted for Obama in 2008, but this isn't 2008.  It's almost certain that Obama won't carry Indiana again, and he will probably lose North Carolina too, a red state that has only recently taken on a purple tinge.  If Romney can't even win North Carolina, stick a fork in him.

Florida (29 EV; Obama to win at 32-45%).  Florida is the closest state according to FiveThirtyEight, and also the swing state with the most electoral votes.  In spite of that, Florida isn't all that important this year, because Obama can easily get to 270 without it, while Romney pretty much needs it.  We may not know which way Florida voted until late at night Tuesday, but that doesn't mean we won't know who will be president.

Virginia (13 EV; Obama to win at 49-67%).  Virginia is the closest state according to InTrade.  InTrade and FiveThirtyEight disagree about Virginia; the president has held a narrow lead in five straight polls, but the state has historically been part of the Republican South.  It's probably the second most important state this year after Ohio.  This is the last state where either site shows Romney ahead -- but North Carolina, Florida, and Virginia together would only take Romney to 248 electoral votes, so Romney needs to break into Obama's territory to win.  This makes Romney a modest underdog.

Colorado (9 EV; Obama to win at 53-67%).  Colorado has been getting bluer as its Hispanic population grows, but Republicans shouldn't count it out yet; Colorado has a lot of independent-minded swing voters.  (Interestingly, not all swing states have a lot of swing voters.  Some are polarized and just close; see Wisconsin.)  It's thought that Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson might hurt a major-party candidate here, but no one can agree on which one.

New Hampshire (4 EV; Obama to win at 68-80%).  New Hampshire is the lone state in New England that isn't a Democratic stronghold, but it has a definite blue lean.  Polls show Obama about two and a half points ahead here.  Even though New Hampshire is tiny, there are plenty of plausible scenarios where it provides the winning vote to a candidate, and even a couple where it causes a 269-269 tie.

Iowa (6 EV; Obama to win at 69-80%).  There are a number of Obama winning scenarios that go "Obama needs to win X, Y, and one other state."  Iowa, along with Nevada, is a leading contender for "...and one other state."  It's a well-educated state with a strong economy, which gives Obama the edge, but Romney has a natural constituency among Iowa's many social conservatives.

Ohio (18 EV; Obama to win at 67-82%).  The most important state in this election.  With Ohio, Romney would look very strong; the candidate who won Virginia would then win the election unless his opponent swept the other most competitive states.  Without Ohio, Romney would probably lose outright, because the combination of Ohio and Obama's three best states on this list is enough to put Obama over 270.  Polls consistently show Obama with a two- to four-point margin here, thanks in part to the auto bailout, which saved a lot of Ohioan jobs.

Nevada (6 EV; Obama to win at 83-88%).  Nevada used to be a red state because of its incredibly conservative rural areas, but its increasing urban, Hispanic, and black populations have increasingly outbalanced the state's traditional conservatism.  Like Iowa, Nevada is an "...and one other state" for Obama; the president polls ahead in the mid-single digits, but everything rides on turnout.

Wisconsin (10 EV; Obama to win at 77-94%).  Wisconsin is a highly polarized state with very few undecided voters; every little edge counts.  The state used to be a liberal bastion, but it has become much tighter in the past decade or so, and with Wisconsinite Paul Ryan on the GOP ticket, some people think Wisconsin will vote Republican for the first time since 1984.  The polls suggest otherwise -- Romney has not led in a poll of Wisconsin since August -- but taking the state would be a real coup for him.

Pennsylvania (20 EV; Obama to win at 83-96%).  Pennsylvania is for Obama what North Carolina is for Romney: a swing state that has to be taken for granted, because losing it would be catastrophic.  If Obama can't even win blue-collar Pennsylvania, there's not much realistic chance he'll make it to 270.  Romney has put some resources there to see if he can't pull off a come-from-behind win, but the election will probably be decided elsewhere.

The other forty states are unlikely to hold any surprises -- but if something flabbergasts me on Election Night, I would guess that it will be Arizona going blue, Oregon or New Mexico going red, or either Nebraska or Maine splitting its vote.  (Each of these states partly splits its vote by congressional district, and the second district of each state is actually sorta competitive, which could lead to -- or break -- some interesting ties.)  Needless to say, if any of those things happen, one of the candidates will probably be having a fantastic night overall, and the other will be having a very bad one, so these states will almost certainly not be decisive.

You can test your own swing state hypotheses here -- a flowchart interface that lets you see the effect of all the above states except Pennsylvania, which it assumes will vote Democratic.

InTrade has Obama's probability of winning the election at 66%.  FiveThirtyEight has him at 83%.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-03-2012 12:32:49 AM)

#25 | Back to Top11-03-2012 01:05:21 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

MO will probably go for Romney, but I'm voting anyway.  It's my word on the matter no matter who hears it.

Board footer