This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-28-2013 12:09:59 PM

phul
Wakaba Wrangler

Utena-related things to see in Tokyo?

Hi all!

Next month I'm going to Tokyo for about 6 days.  It's been a long time since I was last in Japan (other than for airport layovers), and this'll be my first time in Tokyo.  Now, I know there are a bazillion other things to see/do/eat in the city, but as an Utena diehard, I have to ask, is there anything to see there that would appeal to fans?  Any shops selling old merchandise, galleries, anything like that?

If Ohtori were based on a real-life campus I would go there.  emot-tongue

Thanks!

#2 | Back to Top08-28-2013 02:36:04 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Re: Utena-related things to see in Tokyo?

Hi Phul!

Hmm. . . there's a theory that the huge ferris wheel we see in EP33 (Prince who Runs in the Night) could be the one in Tokyo, so maybe you might wanna go see that?

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#3 | Back to Top08-28-2013 03:22:08 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I'm not sure which Tokyo Ferris wheel it is!  The famous one is Daikanransha, but that wasn't finished in 1997.

There is the tower that shutin links to here.  Raven is pretty sure it's the Yokohama Marine Tower, which fits with the Kanagawa addresses we occasionally see on people's Mikage Seminar applications.  It does look exactly right.

Googling for Ferris wheels in Kanagawa doesn't turn up the Ferris wheel in episode 33, with its distinctive concentric circles.  Kanagawa's notable Ferris wheel is Cosmo Clock 21, which looks nothing like the one in the screencap.  But it's also definitely not Daikanransha.  I'm not sure how to go about identifying it. emot-frown

Edit: I've fired off an email to a website that keeps a directory of Ferris wheels.  I gave them the screenshot and said definitely Japan, probably Kanagawa, in an anime aired in 1997 that pays a whole lot of attention to detail.  It's a long shot, but maybe they can help!

Last edited by satyreyes (08-28-2013 03:38:53 PM)

#4 | Back to Top08-28-2013 03:25:04 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

UGGGGGGGHHHHH, this is such a great question and I wish there were decent landmarks! I'll probably be going on a trip to Japan in the next few years, and I'd love to go somewhere Utena-related as well. But the world of Utena is so...insular that it's hard to get much of an idea of place. That was probably intentional, since Ohtori has practically no connection to the real world.

Probably the best you could do is visit the outsides of landmark places in Ikuhara's life. The studio where Be-Papas worked is probably a coffee shop or something now since it disbanded so long ago. emot-frown

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunihiko_Ikuhara

Hat Mafia Member

#5 | Back to Top08-28-2013 07:00:42 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

satyreyes wrote:

I'm not sure which Tokyo Ferris wheel it is!  The famous one is Daikanransha, but that wasn't finished in 1997.

EH?  Oh no . . . I must have misremembered things from my past conversations in that "location of Ohtori" thread, where I seem to recall someone saying Ohtori could possibly be in the Tokyo suburbs . . . and i just assumed this means the Ferris wheel is in Tokyo.   Guess I'm wrong there (sorry!).

Anyway, Phul, Satyreyes and Frau Eva both gave some good pointers as to what an Ikuhara fan could look for in Tokyo.  I guess my only thing to add would be that you might want to also visit certain stops along the Tokyo Subway Lines, plus the Sunshine City Aquarium, if you happen to also be a Penguindrum (Ikuhara's most recent work) fan.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#6 | Back to Top08-30-2013 08:03:36 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Does that Ferris wheel appear in any episodes besides 33?

#7 | Back to Top08-30-2013 08:06:46 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Totally not sure.  It's seen from the highways that Akio Car passes, I think, and seem somehow too memorable to be a one ep prop.

#8 | Back to Top08-30-2013 08:38:55 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

gorgeousshutin wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Totally not sure.  It's seen from the highways that Akio Car passes, I think, and seem somehow too memorable to be a one ep prop.

To be fair, it is a pretty memorable episode. emot-smile

I'm closing in on the conclusion that if it's a real wheel at all, it's probably Cosmo Clock 21.  If we really think the show is in Kanagawa and most likely in Yokohama, it kind of has to be Cosmo Clock 21, because that is the Ferris wheel in Yokohama.  If you were setting your show in Yokohama and you wanted to draw a Ferris wheel, that is the one you'd draw.  The problem is that Cosmo Clock 21 looks nothing like the wheel in the episode -- but maybe that's because Cosmo Clock 21 was torn down in 1997 and rebuilt in 1999.  Maybe when the show was drawn it looked quite different.  I've only been able to dig up one photo of the first incarnation of the wheel (scroll all the way down), from the 1989 Yokohama Exposition that it was built for.  Still not a close match, but at least it has red lights, and a lot could have changed between 1989 and 1997.

If you were writing a show about revolutions, perpetual motion machines, circular infinity without end, and so on, don't you think you'd pick a clock-themed Ferris wheel as your symbol?  emot-wink

#9 | Back to Top08-30-2013 09:15:18 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

satyreyes wrote:

If you were writing a show about revolutions, perpetual motion machines, circular infinity without end, and so on, don't you think you'd pick a clock-themed Ferris wheel as your symbol?  emot-wink

That's a very good point that I've almost missed.  I always just assumed that the ferris is simply representative of fanciful girlish carving that leads to delusion . . . but come to think of it, the stairs to the duelling arena are spiralling/circular too.  And who can forget that nightmarish merry go round 'Dios' used as prop to taunt Utena with in Ep 39?

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (08-30-2013 09:16:20 PM)

#10 | Back to Top08-30-2013 09:34:18 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Yes, yes you would. emot-aaa

I guess it doesn't not not look like it? If it's like most ferris wheels I've seen, the lights can make patterns and change and stuff. I'd expect that from a huge permanently installed one.

If you really want to split hairs, the sloping lights look kind of like roller coasters, and I see one in that shot of the current wheel. That said, the lights don't slope that way in other shots, soooo

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/14054-1/Series_ep33_149.jpg

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#11 | Back to Top09-01-2013 04:58:15 PM

Pratyeka
Tenjou Tilter

I would also love to hear answers to this question. Anime as old as Utena tend to disappear to make way for newer, more popular series here, so other than the exhibition I attended last spring I haven't seen a single Utena-related thing the entire time I've been in Japan. I'm hoping that might change now that I'm in Tokyo, which seems to have every niche.
On the other hand, for fans of Penguindrum it's amazing. I went to Ikebukuro/Sunshine City a few times since moving near it, and everything looks exactly like in the anime. Plus, the aquarium/planetarium is pretty fun.

#12 | Back to Top09-01-2013 07:54:54 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

I don't know if this belongs in this thread, but the song "Dawn Scat /  夜明けのスキャット" from the Nanami Egg Ep (Utena OST 5) is getting revisited by veteran singer Saori Yuki (see youtube link).  You might be able to find related merchandise in Tokyo should you be interested.

#13 | Back to Top09-04-2013 09:54:52 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Pratyeka wrote:

On the other hand, for fans of Penguindrum it's amazing. I went to Ikebukuro/Sunshine City a few times since moving near it, and everything looks exactly like in the anime. Plus, the aquarium/planetarium is pretty fun.

I'm envious!  I didn't get to Ikebukuro on my one (very brief) trip to Tokyo, and Penguindrum wasn't even a gleam in Ikuni's eye at that point in any case.  It would be fascinating to tour the district having seen the show.

I'm still on the track of the Ferris wheel.  My contact at the directory of Ferris wheels suggests:

I haven’t found anything definitive yet but Cosmo Clock makes the most sense. Hard to tell just by the lighting pattern because those can easily be modified. I haven’t found any pictures from before 1997 either.  It’s hard to eliminate other wheels as possibilities for the same reasons. I can’t find any night pictures (or any good daytime pictures for that matter) of Technostar/Technocosmos. Have you tried contacting the producer or anyone involved in the creation of the show?

Which strikes me as reasonably sound advice!  I wonder who among SKU's production staff (or animation staff?) might be A) in a position to know the answer, and B) disposed towards replying to fan mail.  Thoughts?

(The other wheel he mentions, Technostar, would have been in Osaka in 1997, so it only makes sense if we're radically wrong about the location of the show.)

Board footer