This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-07-2007 07:47:13 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Special Abilities

I've been asking around for a while now, and so I present an interesting question (watch out, it's a long one!):

If you could have three magical spells or other abilities to be used indefinitely, what would they be? What would be their limitations, and why would you want the abilities?

I'll list my three abilities as an example, to start this thread off. I've given all three some serious thought, and I hope that others will do the same...

ABILITY ONE: Wormhole
The ability to open a wormhole from one place to another. For example, if I knew what Giovanna's home looked like, I could open a wormhole gateway leading from my house to hers, and nobody would know that they had walked through a door leading from the Pit of Despair to Hell's Vacation Spot. There are two limitations: I would have to know where I could "anchor" a door (like a teleport spell; you have to know where you're gonna end up!) and I could only maintain one wormhole at a time.

ABILITY TWO: Space of Holding
The ability to open and manipulate non-dimensional spaces. Like a Bag of Holding from Dungeons and Dragons, but I could make them from thin air. I could further customise these holding areas so that they could be climate controlled. The limitations: Each space of holding must have an anchor (a door or opening) for me to use; each space cannot admit an item larger than the anchor's dimensions (you can put a tank in a space, but you'd have to break it down first); no more than one space for every "level" of experienced use. (I would have to say my age is the limiting factor).

ABILITY THREE: Swap Gender
The ability to change gender, from male to female, as if I was born female naturally. This has always been a curiosity to me, and I have spent many sleepless nights on this question, as I'm sure many others have as well. The change would be permanent insofar as I do not use the ability to change back. I think I would use this one mostly for the shock factor. The limitations: Whatever clothing I was wearing during the change does not mold itself to my new body (i.e., I would not suddenly change into girl's clothing if I switched from male to female. I'd be stuck without support). Change cannot be made while using the bathroom or attending to other anatomical necessities (notably when changing from female to male during a period!).

Those are my abilities. What do you think? Have you got abilities you'd love to have? Share and Enjoy!

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#2 | Back to Top03-07-2007 08:45:10 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: Special Abilities

This could be a fun thread!

ABILITY ONE: Schadenfreude Beam
This ability allows me to cause as much or as little misfortune as I desire, you piss me off, and you will have a bad day, really tick me off and you will have a really, really bad year.  For those people who don't know what Schadenfreude is, its is a pleasurable offshoot of envy in which the person that you were envious of, suffers in some way and you get to feel the joy of believing that the universe struck that person down on your behalf. 

ABILITY TWO: Universal Translator
It doesn't matter if the language being spoken is some obscure Romanian dialect, Spanish or even Highland Scottish or written langages like Japanese, Russian, German or even Klingon, I will be able to read, write, speak and understand in anylanguages I come across.

ABILITY THREE: Shapeshift
For when you want to be anyone, original or already existing you feel like being, also handy as it allows you to appear in any type of clothing you want.

#3 | Back to Top03-07-2007 09:35:28 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

I'll play, but elaborate later...

Ability one: The ability to tell if someone is lying. (limits - if they weren't looking me in the eye it would not work)

Ability two: To make anyone fall madly in love with me. (limits - NONE)

Ability three: To have a genie that would grant all my wishes (wealth, travel) and the last one, MORE WISHES! (limits - no world domination type stuff, just very very wealthy, prosperous, and powerful)

Last edited by Frosty (03-07-2007 10:37:53 PM)

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#4 | Back to Top03-07-2007 10:47:25 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

I simply wish the ability to teleport myself and others, including objects.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#5 | Back to Top03-07-2007 10:58:10 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I already have all the superpowers I need. The only thing I need is something to sate my superpowered libido emot-mad

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#6 | Back to Top03-07-2007 11:22:22 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Now you've give Shattered something to want as his superpower.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#7 | Back to Top03-07-2007 11:26:34 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

HAHAHAHAH! To satiate superpowered libidos? That is something to aspire to.

I've been thinking about this since it posted, but I'm still not sure. Telepathy/telekineses is definitly number one. After that...I'm kinda stuck. Maybe pyrokineses.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#8 | Back to Top03-07-2007 11:31:00 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

morosemocha wrote:

HAHAHAHAH! To satiate superpowered libidos? That is something to aspire to.

Why aspire to something I already have.  emot-wink  This is why I simply want teleportation.  It's the only thing I'm lacking, really.

#9 | Back to Top03-07-2007 11:32:06 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Hmmm....maybe teleportation for me too. It would be nice to cross 3000 miles in a single libidinous thought.

#10 | Back to Top03-07-2007 11:39:21 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Now you see why it's so appealing.

#11 | Back to Top03-07-2007 11:48:29 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Much like you I already have the ability to sate superpowered libidos. Even Yasha's, though it would tire me greatly to do it.

But yeah, I'd like to be able to teleport too. Because if I could teleport, I'd be able to sate said libido. The ability to look good in a Speedo would be nice, too.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#12 | Back to Top03-08-2007 12:38:08 AM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

Ability one- The ability to charm anyone, no matter who they are, to get what I want.
I've watched people at work who are even moderately good at this, and wow would that be useful.

Ability two- The ability to fly.  So, yeah, it's cliche, but how cool would that be?  Zoom zoom!

Ability three- To create illusions-  oh the fun I could have with that!  Can you just imagine?  Being able to make any illusion you want, a ghost for a person you don't like, a fantasy world for someone you do, ect!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#13 | Back to Top03-08-2007 12:43:31 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I'm too afraid of falling to have the ability to fly. emot-frown What if you get suddenly depowered? The Scarlet Witch is out there, man! Fo' sho.

Hmmm...the ability to create illusions though...now that is quite plusful.

#14 | Back to Top03-08-2007 06:51:22 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Here's what I'd want...

1. The ab0ility to fly wherever I wanted and for how long I wanted.  And not so much the ability to fly as the ability to be less dense than air.  So that way it would be like swimming in the air.  *sigh*

2.  The ability to see ghosts.  That way I could see my husband.  ;_;  Why must I be so psychically challenged?

3. will add later... meep...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#15 | Back to Top03-08-2007 07:01:27 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Iris wrote:

Ability three- To create illusions-  oh the fun I could have with that!  Can you just imagine?  Being able to make any illusion you want, a ghost for a person you don't like, a fantasy world for someone you do, ect!

That should not have taken so many posts on an SKU forum, people! emot-tongue

For me, let's see...

Seductive Talents and Flawless Beauty - Whoever you are, whatever you like, I'm the most sublimely beautiful thing you've ever seen. You like blonds? Men? I'm the exception, and completely irresistable. This is the means by which I'll come by wealth and power. Wealth on its own doesn't always include power, and power on its own is a bitch to maintain. Intelligence? I have enough of that, and beauty and wielding sex gets much more done in much less time.

Bestow Common Sense and Rationality - 'GOD HATES FAGS' 'ALL DARKIES SHOULD HANG' 'WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO KISS YOU AFTER YOU SUCK MY COCK?' 'TALKING ABOUT ANNA NICOLE SMITH ON THE NEWS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TALKING ABOUT THAT SHITBAG LIBBY' I touch their forehead, like a holy blessing, and they realize they're being complete douchebags and correct the error of their ways.

Eternity - Yep. 'Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.' I'm not one of those people. Life is too short for me to ever hope to know all the things I want to know, and with my other powers combined, I will shape a world worth wanting to stay in.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#16 | Back to Top03-08-2007 07:12:32 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Giovanna would make the ultimate God.

#17 | Back to Top03-08-2007 07:30:34 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Hmm...Hard to say anything that hasn't been said, already.

If we actually get the Technological Singularity, some of the wishes might even come true. Unfortunately the best so far is propably the least likely: Bestow Common Sense and Rationality by Gio. Stupidity will propably be the last uncured disease of mankind...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#18 | Back to Top03-08-2007 09:30:28 AM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

If I had three special abilities...I'm going to be all X-Men with this:

1) The power to regenerate. I would save so much money on health insurance!
2)The power of persuasion. You will hand over that masarati and it will be mine school-devil
3) The power to teleport. Hell motherfucking yeah, sweden here I come!

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#19 | Back to Top03-08-2007 12:24:01 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Hina the Prince wrote:

Giovanna would make the ultimate God.

I think I could worship her.  emot-wink

#20 | Back to Top03-08-2007 12:54:12 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

1.) Changing into an Animal - I've wanted to be able to do this ever since I was little. Becoming an animal at will would be awesome. You could fly, run, jump, and have all sorts of amazing senses. Humans suck, other than our intelligence.

2.) Teleportation -  Whenever I'm far away from home, I always find myself wishing that I could teleport. There are more reasons why this would come in handy than I can count. Traveling distances would no longer be a problem.

3.) Debug Mode - This is kind of difficult to explain. On The Sims, if you type in the cheat "boolProp TestingCheatsEnabled true," then you can do all sorts of things you never could before by holding down shift and clicking. You can change a person's personality, make them fall in love with someone or hate them, make them die spontaneously, and almost anything else you can think of. I wish that I could do that in real life.

#21 | Back to Top03-08-2007 03:50:26 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

First of all... damn, Gio. Just damn.

Now, as for me:

1. Teleportation.--Not especially concerned about the mechanics involved, but I'm not allowed to go anywhere I've never been. Unfortunately, that means I can't teleport out of the country, but I can go to NYC, Chicago, and Vegas which is good enough for me.

2. Shapeshifting-- I can physically transform into anyone and anything I want, but I must always be female. No gender-swap for me. Oh, and no inanimate objects, but I partially heal injuries whenever I change.

3. I dunno yet.

EDIT: Okay, this would be playing dirty pool, but I'd like the ability to absorb or copy other people's powers, depending on the length of time with the person in question. But I have to know I'm doing it, and it's always temporary, less than a day.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (03-11-2007 11:13:06 AM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#22 | Back to Top03-08-2007 05:42:53 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

1. Disguise- I can change myself into any occupation I'd appear as. That way, I can enter any facility I want without causing a fuss. Plus I get to enjoy being all sorts of people, policeman, lawyer, faculty, model, actor, director, doctor, even mafia recruit.

2. Light- It's kinda a double-edge deal. Either shooting beams out of my finger, or turning it into a weapon like a sword or showers of arrows. On the other hand, I'm hoping that it would give curative effects if I want to mend wounds or get rid of diseases

3. Flight- I personally really likes to feel the wind, I might get run over by planes, but it's worth it. And, I don't think I'd need to fly so high as to running into one anyway.

#23 | Back to Top03-08-2007 06:59:31 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Wow! I didn't think I'd get so many answers on this thread!

Gio, I worship the way you think. Your abilities are top rate. With such powers, you would be not a god, but an Incarnation of Immortality. Probably either Gaea or Lachesis.

Razara, your Debug menu power...about the Sims...do you mean the original or Sims 2? I ask because I have every expansion for Sims 1 but don't even have the basic Sims 2 (nor plan to obtain it).

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#24 | Back to Top03-08-2007 09:34:39 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

If Gio was an Incarnation of Immortality she'd be Aphrodite. Who cares that Piers Anthony didn't include her in his series? She's sexy, resourceful and a bit manipulative to boot.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#25 | Back to Top03-08-2007 09:47:34 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I don't think I trust myself to ever have super powers. I don't even trust myself enough to drive a car. emot-rolleyes

But some powers that I have imagined having over the years:

Save and Reload - The ability to set a tick in time, progress beyond that point but return to it as if nothing happend. Basically an infinite number of chances to do things right, or try out all the different possibilities of any given situation.

Time Stopping - Pretty obvious one. The power to stop time for everyone but yourself. Definitely something I should never, never have.

Knowledge Absorption - Being able to gain and retain any amount of information in an instant. Flip through a book and it's memorized. Touch a person's hand and know their life as if you'd lived it yourself.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

Board footer