This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#701 | Back to Top12-10-2011 10:52:22 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Re: UTENA Back in North America!!

It's too big for my ring finger on either hand, but fits fairly well on my right middle finger (not the left though). It fits loosely on Paradox's ring finger but doesn't quite fit over his middle knuckle.

They really are lovely though. Might look at eBay to see if anyone puts up a spare so Paradox and I can both have one.

#702 | Back to Top12-10-2011 12:06:15 PM

Calamity
High Tripper

Mine is technically too small for my ring finger and too big for my pinkie. At the very least though I can probably find a way to add some space in the ring to make it fit more snuggly on my pinkie. Either way I love the ring and the boxset is an absolute dream. It makes me so happy to look on my TV shelf and see all three remastered sets facing outwards. etc-love

#703 | Back to Top12-10-2011 02:39:04 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

I think the problem with my discs was only with the ps2, since everything plays fine on my laptop, xbox, and dvd player. That makes me happy emot-dance

I want my ring to fit! It slides right off every one of my fingers emot-tongue

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#704 | Back to Top12-10-2011 08:17:55 PM

PrettyPeopleWithSwords
Rose Smilee

Aelanie wrote:

Not at all. For a variety of reasons, Japanese disc sets tend to be designed differently. They're often quite fancy, as befits their vastly higher price-tags...also of course, there are different market considerations - as you may notice, Anthy and Utena are nude on the rightmost box. That obviously wouldn't go over as well in America...

However, the Nozomi set does use the same artwork that features on the actual DVD sleeves that fit inside the Japanese boxes. You can see the details of the Japanese sets here:

http://ohtori.nu/anniversary/

Aha! I knew that artwork had come from the Japanese sets, but I didn't know it was just on the DVD sleeves! What we put on the covers of our sets is only good enough for their sleeve art . . . Then again, that art is almost too awesome to just put on DVD sleeves.

That CD box set is crazy though. I bet it was like a million dollars.

The moral of the story is that Japan is basically the best in the world at making really awesome stuff for nerds. emot-biggrin

#705 | Back to Top12-10-2011 08:40:28 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

PrettyPeopleWithSwords wrote:

It was surprisingly reasonable, or at least it was when I got it, considering that it has 10 CDs in it.  I think it averaged just over $10 per CD for me.

#706 | Back to Top12-10-2011 08:52:48 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Mylene wrote:

PrettyPeopleWithSwords wrote:

It was surprisingly reasonable, or at least it was when I got it, considering that it has 10 CDs in it.  I think it averaged just over $10 per CD for me.

Same here. The CD box set cost me only a little over US$100. I got it at Play-Asia I believe.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#707 | Back to Top12-12-2011 12:15:39 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

I GOT MY BOXSET AND RING TODAY!!! *insane laughter* poptart etc-wankgirl poptart etc-wankgirl poptart etc-wankgirl poptart

*takes deep breath*

Okay... Excuse me. Ahem.

I'm surprised that my ring actually fit, but it did! It's a little snug, but easy enough to get on and off. emot-keke Very interesting stuff in the booklet, too. I was freaking out over some of the first character designs for Touga and Saionji. emot-aaa Glasses!!! OHEMGEE!!!!

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#708 | Back to Top12-12-2011 12:34:55 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

BlackRoseVixen wrote:

I GOT MY BOXSET AND RING TODAY!!! *insane laughter* poptart etc-wankgirl poptart etc-wankgirl poptart etc-wankgirl poptart

*takes deep breath*

Okay... Excuse me. Ahem.

I'm surprised that my ring actually fit, but it did! It's a little snug, but easy enough to get on and off. emot-keke Very interesting stuff in the booklet, too. I was freaking out over some of the first character designs for Touga and Saionji. emot-aaa Glasses!!! OHEMGEE!!!!

Juri with aquamarine hair!

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#709 | Back to Top12-12-2011 12:37:37 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

WAIT WHAT?

WHO HAD GLASSES emot-aaa

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#710 | Back to Top12-12-2011 05:02:44 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Early designs for what appears to be Saionji have him in glasses, Gio. It's also quite interesting to see "Touga" with short hair!

The booklet for this set is so beautiful! The dedication to Ms. Kawakami was an especially sweet touch.

And...I am loving this signet ring!! Fits perfectly! emot-keke

#711 | Back to Top12-12-2011 06:43:21 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

emot-gonk

I can totally see Saionji with glasses, in a black turtleneck, lounging with some sake, reading Mishima. A Japanese beatnik. etc-love

I'm glad to see everyone so happy with the box! Any updates on that disc, though? Those are like, my favorite episodes. emot-redface

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#712 | Back to Top12-12-2011 07:20:27 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

^The discs seem to be fine now for me, I can play em on everything else but the playstation, which is what I first tried it on.

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#713 | Back to Top12-12-2011 09:15:23 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Giovanna wrote:

emot-gonk

I can totally see Saionji with glasses, in a black turtleneck, lounging with some sake, reading Mishima. A Japanese beatnik. etc-love

Glasses and SHORT hair. emot-aaa

Honestly, it was a good look for him. etc-love Nothing against his current design, mind you.

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#714 | Back to Top12-13-2011 01:35:34 AM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

*Reloads USPS.com over and over again*

I'm super-cised about this package. It's estimated to get to me todayyyy. I hope it shows up early. I'm so lame. ;_;

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#715 | Back to Top12-13-2011 11:20:51 PM

codeblackhayate
When did we get pyrotechnics?

My ring is xbox huge on my finger. :/ It's still very pretty! I'll have to just rock the one I made instead XD

Take my Revolution and shove it!

| SKU:PID Utena Parody |

#716 | Back to Top12-15-2011 07:29:31 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

The ring is pretty sweet. It fits on the ring fingers of both my hands, the left finger a bit more snugly... but I think whatever it's made out of, I'm allergic to, since after a day and a half of wearing it on my left ring finger, I got a rash, which still hasn't quite gone away a week later. emot-frown But at least I got several compliments on it when I did wear it! I've worn it occasionally on my right, but I've avoided wearing it for too long at a time since I don't want a rash on both hands, haha.

"My brother's partner would have to be ‬attractive in face and figure,‭ ‬good at all sports,‭ ‬excellent in her studies,‭ ‬quick-witted, pretty‬ and pure of heart... luxurious and gorgeous, smooth sailing, auspicious for all occasions, born of the Pure Land, a beauty fated to die young, scandalous max, and vexatiously mysterious, at the very least!" --Kiryuu Nanami

#717 | Back to Top12-16-2011 01:44:34 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Ayu Ohseki wrote:

The ring is pretty sweet. It fits on the ring fingers of both my hands, the left finger a bit more snugly... but I think whatever it's made out of, I'm allergic to, since after a day and a half of wearing it on my left ring finger, I got a rash, which still hasn't quite gone away a week later. emot-frown But at least I got several compliments on it when I did wear it! I've worn it occasionally on my right, but I've avoided wearing it for too long at a time since I don't want a rash on both hands, haha.

If I remember right, it's supposed to be nickel-plated, and some people are indeed allergic to nickel. (Not me it seems, thankfully.)

I've been wearing mine to work on and off...I really don't think it's a good idea, I'm afraid of damaging it, but it's hard to resist putting it on when I'm getting ready to leave...

#718 | Back to Top12-16-2011 03:17:26 AM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

[Raises hand]

Nickel allergy here. I haven't gotten my package yet -- it's entered some type of USPS limbo ;_; -- but I can confirm that nickel allergies are vicious. If you end up with a small rash from wearing the ring... *don't* keep wearing it. Small rashes can quickly become big, ugly rashes with weeping wounds.

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#719 | Back to Top12-16-2011 05:37:19 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Ahh, too bad. It's a shame they couldn't have gone with some other material, but obviously they probably had a tough budget and limited choices. A non nickel-based variety of stainless steel, perhaps?

#720 | Back to Top12-16-2011 03:30:53 PM

codeblackhayate
When did we get pyrotechnics?

The ring I made is a stainless mix. It's not as shiny as the nickle plated official one. Then again, I had to sand and polish it by hand. If they do another run for individual sale, I'm hope they go with sliver!

Take my Revolution and shove it!

| SKU:PID Utena Parody |

#721 | Back to Top12-16-2011 04:26:13 PM

The Second Penguin
Wakaba Wrangler

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/unhelpful/IMG_3935.jpg

It's too tight for regular wear, unfortunately. I guess I'm not in high school anymore.

Just looking at it on my desk makes me feel like I passed up on a scholarship to Hogwarts or the Unseen University: bittersweet and thoughtful, but also like I dodged a bullet. Dueling is hard work!

#722 | Back to Top12-16-2011 07:28:05 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

dirufacade wrote:

[Raises hand]

Nickel allergy here. I haven't gotten my package yet -- it's entered some type of USPS limbo ;_; -- but I can confirm that nickel allergies are vicious. If you end up with a small rash from wearing the ring... *don't* keep wearing it. Small rashes can quickly become big, ugly rashes with weeping wounds.

Weeping wounds that sting and burn horribly, and at least for me cause my lymph nodes to swell up and redden.  Still, I'm thinking I can make do.  I can put the ring on a nickel-free chain and wear it so the ring rests against my shirt -no skin contact!  Or wear it with thin gloves, or only for very small increments of time.  emot-biggrin

#723 | Back to Top12-17-2011 07:45:20 AM

Artsychick
Touga Topper
Website

Sadly I haven’t received my package yet but I know it’ll only be a few more days. I have a question though, I don’t have an allergy to metal (that I know of) but silver jewellery seems to tarnish on me really quickly and turns my skin green when I wear it, I want to avoid this as much as possible so is there anything I can do to keep my ring from tarnishing?

Roses, everywhere! Of every color! In your architecture! In your teacups! In your jam!

#724 | Back to Top12-18-2011 12:36:59 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Artsychick wrote:

Sadly I haven’t received my package yet but I know it’ll only be a few more days. I have a question though, I don’t have an allergy to metal (that I know of) but silver jewellery seems to tarnish on me really quickly and turns my skin green when I wear it, I want to avoid this as much as possible so is there anything I can do to keep my ring from tarnishing?

It won't tarnish like silver would. That's one of the reasons for the nickel plating; nickel is corrosion resistant.

#725 | Back to Top12-18-2011 11:38:37 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

I got my package last Tuesday, but I wasn't able to start watching until Saturday because I had them send it to my dad's house. (I live in a dorm when I'm in school and I didn't want to have them send it there in case it didn't arrive before the fall semester ended.) I still need to watch the last three episodes and the movie. I did have some problems with disk nine though. (The one with the picture of Touga, Saionji and Utena getting freaky together.)  It would play, but the sound and picture would skip on some of the episodes. I will try it on other DVD players, but it still should have played on my dad's DVD player okay since all the other disks for this set as well as the two other box sets played just fine on it.

But if the disk is the problem, I'll ask for a replacement. I did pay almost $60 for this set and I expect it to work. But other than that problem, the rest of the disks that I've watched seem just fine and I love the booklet. Also, the ring fits! I've been wearing it almost all the time.

Board footer