This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-01-2011 08:29:25 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

"Nice skirt, Saionji," and other dub quotes

I have a weird habit of switching audio from Japanese-to-English when watching some DVDs, just to gauge the difference in voice and dialogue. This is the most fun with shows like Sailor Moon. I don't know why I bother when I watch Utena, since I already know how ear-blisteringly bad the dub is, but occasionally I switch over at the correct time and catch gems like this:

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/3032-2/Series_ep06_110.jpg

Japanese
Saionji: ...hidden love.
Utena: Nobody asked you.

English
Saionji: ...that's 'hidden love'.
Utena: Yeah. Nice skirt, Saionji.

I don't know why I find this so funny. It seems like an ad-lib the voice actress did, and, as she is not Japanese, she would not immediately recognize hakama, as Utena would. Hakama are traditionally male attire. This sort of thing usually irritates me in dubs, but for some reason I find this hilarious. Utena's dismissive tone is perfect.

-------------

Any other moments as such you've noticed? I've only seen the dub for the first thirteen episodes.

Last edited by Trench Kamen (06-01-2011 08:30:09 PM)

#2 | Back to Top06-01-2011 09:16:18 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Re: "Nice skirt, Saionji," and other dub quotes

Trench Kamen wrote:

English
Saionji: ...that's 'hidden love'.
Utena: Yeah. Nice skirt, Saionji.

Ha, ha! I switch over just for this line, every time. Even funnier that WE know she knows about his ridiculous  exchange diary but he doesn't know that she knows. So he's just doubly humiliated. emot-biggrin  I'm re-watching so I'll try to notice stuff like this as I go along...

#3 | Back to Top06-01-2011 09:39:48 PM

iatemylavalamp
Touga Topper

I actually adore the dub of Utena, not for the voices, but for precious little moments like these. If the Japanese voices would use the English script... it'd be perfect emot-wink I don't have my DVDs on me, but as soon as I do I know several that I can post!

#4 | Back to Top06-01-2011 10:44:31 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

There's a line in Qualifications of a Duelist, in which Mamiya (whose English VA is creepy and totally boss) says something ratherly awkwardly phrased about the relaitonship between Mikage and Tokiko:  "You'll never defeat the sister of mine within your memory, not for all eternity."

In the dub, it's paraphrased in way which I feel had more impact:  "My sister resides in your memories, and there you shall never defeat her."

#5 | Back to Top06-02-2011 07:49:57 AM

Calamity
High Tripper

This is reason enough for me to attempt to watch the dub. emot-rofl I switched it exactly once just to see what the dub said. It wasn't for any hilarious means, I wanted to see if the dialogue was different when Utena whargarbls at Mikage for her memories. Now that I know there are some gems in the dub, I'm going to have to try and stomach it.

#6 | Back to Top06-02-2011 09:49:29 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

You know at first I bristled that they'd dare change anything, but that line is totally exactly what convey's Utena's reaction best to an American audience. Also, it makes me like Utena more that she'd talk such trash to a superior that's bigger than her. Even if he does get his ass handed to him by her and is more or less a big jackass. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top06-02-2011 06:57:53 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Yeah, and this is her way of saying, "gimme a break, let's face it, I'm butcher than you are and we all know it". emot-keke I think Rachael Lillis nails Utena, she's fantastic. I get more vulnerablility from Utena when I listen to the English dub. But other characters do not fair as well so sometimes I wish I could combine the two tracks with my favorite voices from both.

#8 | Back to Top06-02-2011 07:38:01 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

I adored Liam O'Brian's performance as "Mamiya". I like the dub in equal measure to the sub, for different reasons.

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#9 | Back to Top06-02-2011 08:43:44 PM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

I don't see why the dubbed line is in any way funny, or even in character for that matter. Utena isn't the type to make fun of people like that, especially an enemy like Saionji.

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#10 | Back to Top06-03-2011 12:50:53 AM

Randamonian
Rose Bride

^ I agree that it doesn't fit it at all with the character, but it was pretty funny to me.
English dubs in general change what sentences mean or how they're said. That's a reason I don't like english dubs. Japanese is truer to the intentions of the director. Knowing all that, I don't expect the dub to be perfect. So I roll with it.  emot-tongue

#11 | Back to Top06-03-2011 09:14:20 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

From the film...

I'll be waiting to seduce you!

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#12 | Back to Top06-03-2011 06:46:34 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Last episode, as Utena is imploring Anthy to reach out her hand, Anthy says:

Subs: 
Utena: Your hand! Please! Himemiya!
Anthy: No! If you don't get out of here...!

Dubs:
Utena: Your hand! Please! Anthy!
Anthy: No! Just leave me!

The dub seems like possibly a better character moment here. Utena would not be mindful of the million swords ready to impale her, she's not thinking about that but the subs imply that Anthy is. At this moment, should Anthy give Utena a lame half measure warning of what's coming (subs)? Or should Anthy be wrestling with the choice that has finally been given her between her cage and a life outside it (dubs)? Or do the subs show that Anthy is weighing her freedom against Utena taking the swords for her? It's an intriguing change.

Last edited by Dani (06-04-2011 03:27:53 AM)

#13 | Back to Top06-03-2011 10:38:46 PM

yuzukelly
Rose Smilee

It's been a while since i've seen this episode, but im pretty sure, in the sub of juri's second duel, after she takes off her rose ruka says (best to my memory) "it'll be ok, juri, it'll be ok" and in the dub he says (again, to best of my memory) "i'll make everything ok juri". i liked the dub better because, aw man i just love ruka and hearing him say that... etc-love but the sub makes more sense, because...well, he cant really do anything soon xD

#14 | Back to Top06-04-2011 05:48:27 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

There's always Nanami's "Well aren't we Ms self sufficient USA?" I admit it was a really stupid line but I laughed.

Last edited by chrisb (06-04-2011 05:52:48 PM)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#15 | Back to Top06-10-2011 08:17:38 PM

iatemylavalamp
Touga Topper

Just watching episode 31 and noticed a difference.

Japanese:
Keiko: Nanami-sama, what's Touga-sama's blood type?
Nanami: ........
Keiko: Nanami-sama?
Nanami: And why are you seeing how compatible you are?

English-
Keiko: Umm, Miss Nanami, I was wondering if you happened to know what your brother's blood type is.
Nanami: ......
Keiko: Miss Nanami?
Nanami: Shall I get you the marriage certificate, too?

Here, I love how english Nanami says it. I think it's funnier, and her tone of voice is hilariously dangerous.

Last edited by iatemylavalamp (06-11-2011 10:00:10 AM)

#16 | Back to Top06-11-2011 06:57:50 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Nanami's VA was brilliant and hilarious.

Japanese
Nanami: My prince (I forget, actually)
Utena: ...

English
Nanami: My prince will lead me to victory!
Utena: No, he won't.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#17 | Back to Top06-12-2011 08:43:30 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

I gotta say, I like the dub. BUT...only about when the Black Rose arc begins. For some reason, the voice acting seems to blossom after the first season, in which it's truly atrocious. Seriously, Mikage's English voice just sends chills down my spine. It has so much cool confidence bordering on arrogance, a kind of predatory smoothness. And when the shit gets piled on his psyche, his obsessive psychosis and break-down are audible in every delivery. Also, as noted, Mamiya's VA did really well in being teasing, mysterious, and submissive. In other words, a perfect male Anthy.

Similarly, I couldn't stand Anthy's over-medicated tone at the beginning, but it really developed. By the end of the series, you could hear the malice dripping out of the suga. Those rare moments where she drops the act, and sounds appropriately dark (and a bit seductive) are all the more alarming. That said, I love her Japanese voice too, so I can't really pick one I prefer.

On the other hand entirely...Miki and Ruka. Ew. Just ew. Ruka especially. No matter how much I bathe, I can't scrub away the sound of pure douchebaggery.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#18 | Back to Top06-13-2011 10:46:42 AM

Calamity
High Tripper

Katzenklavier wrote:

Similarly, I couldn't stand Anthy's over-medicated tone at the beginning, but it really developed. By the end of the series, you could hear the malice dripping out of the suga. Those rare moments where she drops the act, and sounds appropriately dark (and a bit seductive) are all the more alarming. That said, I love her Japanese voice too, so I can't really pick one I prefer.

This alone kind of soothes my worries over the dub. See, I positively adore Anthy's Japanese voice and swore up and down that I could never listen to her dubbed because I figured it would never come close to the original. Case in point, the betrayal in 39, I've stated elsewhere that it's well... let's just say  distracting (the good kind...) for me because of Anthy's cold delivery and just what she says (trying to be vague just so I don't have to mark spoilers emot-tongue). If the dub actor can get across the same level of venom, seduction and even a hint of dominance that I read into those lines with the original Japanese dialogue, then I would be mighty happy.

Last edited by Calamity (06-13-2011 10:49:23 AM)

#19 | Back to Top06-22-2011 04:12:07 PM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

Katzenklavier wrote:

I gotta say, I like the dub. BUT...only about when the Black Rose arc begins. For some reason, the voice acting seems to blossom after the first season, in which it's truly atrocious.

That's interesting.  I swear SKU's dub is the worst I've ever heard, but the truth is I can't even make it through the first episode.  I can't say I can see the VAs improving that much.  I'll have to try the last episode.

#20 | Back to Top06-22-2011 07:52:02 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

KaleMarsh wrote:

Katzenklavier wrote:

I gotta say, I like the dub. BUT...only about when the Black Rose arc begins. For some reason, the voice acting seems to blossom after the first season, in which it's truly atrocious.

That's interesting.  I swear SKU's dub is the worst I've ever heard, but the truth is I can't even make it through the first episode.  I can't say I can see the VAs improving that much.  I'll have to try the last episode.

Try Nanami's Egg episode 27. With the really dramatic, emotional scenes, I like the Japanese dub better, but for me, the humorous episodes are funnier in English. And nothing like Crispin Freeman giving the "girls and boys" speech. emot-rofl

I agree that the English dub voices in the beginning are off. Juri, especially.

Last edited by Dani (06-22-2011 07:54:53 PM)

#21 | Back to Top06-22-2011 09:12:54 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

I keep thinking Mrs. Ohtori's English voice sounds like someone trying to do a fandub on youtube... I haven't really done much watching in English, so I haven't really found anything else good.

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#22 | Back to Top06-22-2011 09:22:40 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Dani wrote:

KaleMarsh wrote:

Katzenklavier wrote:

Try Nanami's Egg episode 27. With the really dramatic, emotional scenes, I like the Japanese dub better, but for me, the humorous episodes are funnier in English. And nothing like Crispin Freeman giving the "girls and boys" speech. emot-rofl

Oh god, this episode has to be watched in English.  Since Crispin Freeman seems to get more of what's going on in SKU, his performance is just spectacular.

#23 | Back to Top06-22-2011 10:10:15 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I prefer the English dub when it  comes to Black Rose arc because of Dan Green (Mikage) and Lisa Ortiz (C-ko and Shiori). I prefer the other arcs in the original Japanese because I have to disagree with Katzenklavier. Sharon Becker makes a wonderful B-ko but her Anthy never seemed to improve.

#24 | Back to Top06-23-2011 03:06:46 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Gotta agree about the funny episodes having a lot of charm in English.

I also agree that the dub gets somewhat good around the Black Rose arc, but Anthy seems to get worse and worse. She was really good at the start and in the movie though.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#25 | Back to Top08-03-2011 01:50:51 AM

Louchan
Rose Bride

Chrome Homura wrote:

I don't see why the dubbed line is in any way funny, or even in character for that matter. Utena isn't the type to make fun of people like that, especially an enemy like Saionji.

Oh really now? school-devil

http://i55.tinypic.com/1057jg4.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/2zjgfmv.jpg

Considering this, I don't think it was too of character for her.

Board footer