This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-18-2007 11:17:41 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

HARRY POTTER DISCUSSION THREAD HERE!!!

***** ALL, AND I DO MEAN ALL, HARRY POTTER DISCUSSIONS ARE TO BE POSTED IN THIS THREAD AND THIS THREAD ONLY *****

There are a lot of HP fans on the forum here, and some of them aren't going to finish the new book at 3am Friday night. So these slowpokes don't get spoilered all to hell, I'm placing the forum under martial LAW! NO TALKING ABOUT HARRY POTTER ANYWHERE ELSE. OR ELSE. Those who don't want spoilers need a thread to avoid, instead of making them avoid the whole forum. Even in this thread, please do the classy thing and white out major spoilers like 'Harry Potter dies' or 'Harry Potter saves the day' or 'Harry Potter gets fucked by Akio and then eats a grilled cheese sandwich.'

This is for the HP fans, guys. That's a lot of you. Help each other out here; not everyone likes spoilers, and you've all been waiting a long time for this. I don't want to have to talk some shit like 'I'LL BAN ANYONE THAT TALKS ABOUT HARRY POTTER OUTSIDE THIS THREAD', so I won't say that, because I trust you guys not to need an axe over your head to do the right thing. Use your judgement. Yes, you can say 'I LOVE HARRY POTTER' somewhere else, but don't discuss the plot, in prior books and this upcoming one, anywhere but here.

Ugly stuff aside, TALK AWAY. Lemme know if Harry does anything I'll approve of like bang virgins or bake cakes. emot-wink

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top07-18-2007 11:24:12 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Re: HARRY POTTER DISCUSSION THREAD HERE!!!

'Harry Potter gets fucked by Akio and then eats a grilled cheese sandwich.'

I am now far more interested in the new book then I was 30 seconds ago.

Last edited by morosemocha (07-18-2007 11:24:33 PM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#3 | Back to Top07-18-2007 11:28:09 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Good idea, Gio! Thanks.

Ok, so before we find out for real WHAT IS THE CONSENSUS ABOUT SNAPE THEORY??? I mean, because of what happened in the second-to-last book - everybody has an idea about what Snape's role actually is! Before we get to see what Snape's REALLY been up to, who wants to say what they think ahead of time? Let's make it interesting. The winner's get infinite poptarts! I'll say what I think, as soon as I get the white out part down! emot-keke

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#4 | Back to Top07-18-2007 11:38:33 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

It seems to me that Snape is on the side of the angels and is being set up as a tragic hero. Not too subtly I might add. I'm thinking he'll sacrifice himself in some noble way, or at least come through somehow.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#5 | Back to Top07-18-2007 11:43:38 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm inclined to agree with you, Stormcrow. If he were truly on the villains' side he wouldn't have been as upset about killing Dumbledore as he was. Someone has to be the truly tragic hero and what better a candidate than a possible enemy throughout the previous six books who at the last minute redeems himself in the eyes of our heroes?

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#6 | Back to Top07-18-2007 11:44:41 PM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

I'm going to ask my colleagues to keep one for me, so that I can get one once I arrived for work. emot-keke

I'm eagerly waiting for it.

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#7 | Back to Top07-18-2007 11:52:56 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

This is the spoiler thread, so I'm going to assume whoever's reading it is willing to stomach spoilers; I won't bother with white text.
Except maybe to amuse myself.
I agree with Stormcrow.  If there's one thing we know about Dumbledore, it's that he's always right.  He trusts Snape; therefore, Snape, however reluctantly and at whatever length, is on our side.  Killing Dumbledore gets Snape Voldemort's unqualified trust; Snape will abuse this trust to make sure good triumphs over evil during Book 7.

And I do think Dumbledore is dead, though I've heard some cogent opposing arguments.

Honestly, I just hope J.K. ties up all the loose threads.  She's said she doesn't plan to continue writing about Harry, so as far as canon goes, this is it.

Last edited by satyreyes (07-18-2007 11:53:46 PM)

#8 | Back to Top07-18-2007 11:58:03 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

So who dies?

#9 | Back to Top07-18-2007 11:58:03 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

If Dumbledore is alive, I'll be a little miffed. Not a lot, because I'm not heavily invested in the books, but that would be the biggest cop-out since Jesus rose from the dead in the Gospel.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#10 | Back to Top07-18-2007 11:59:43 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

A bit off-topic, but I'm amused because I just saw one of those HP spoiler trolls in the wiccan community on LJ. emot-biggrin Good thing I'm not too opposed to spoilers and I haven't read any of the books yet.. but I wonder if it's all true.

#11 | Back to Top07-19-2007 12:01:12 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Stormcrow wrote:

If Dumbledore is alive, I'll be a little miffed. Not a lot, because I'm not heavily invested in the books, but that would be the biggest cop-out since Jesus rose from the dead in the Gospel.

Okay, that made me roflmao. Well, without the "f" part.

#12 | Back to Top07-19-2007 12:08:35 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Harry gets killed by Sephiroth.  I thought EVERYONE knew.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#13 | Back to Top07-19-2007 12:13:59 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

I agree with everyone who has agreed with Stormcrow. Dumbledore is always right, every book something would happen and Harry would be quick to point and say, "Snape, Snape, Snape!" eventually he would tell Dumbledore of his suspicions, but by the end when the mystery was solved, Dumbledore was always right and Snape, while remaining suspicious would be in the clear. Making Snape actually guilty, actually evil, would make Dumbledore appear an absolute FOOL throughout every single book, which couldn't possibly be the case. Also, Dumbledore has never given an accurate reason for his trust in Snape. Whenever he was pinned down by Harry, in nearly every book, it was always something vague and unreadable...which makes me believe he was hiding something, like a grand scheme with Snape to rid the world of Voldemort. The only side note is that, JK has always been extremely friendly with her fans, to the degree that she chose the two most popular Potter websites and flew the admins over to have a private interview session with her (holy shit, that would rule if Ikuhara did that with Gio & Yasha someday, although, getting info from him would be like speaking with a Sphinx)! So, I do wonder if JK, listening to her fans accurately predict her book ending, would have a mindset to shake things up?!? Not very probable, but possible.

Also, I do agree that Dumbledore is dead. I've also heard that "his symbol was the phoenix" so he will RISE from the ashes. He may rise, metaphorically, when the entire Snape/Dumbledore plan is revealed. But I think he's really dead. He had to die, because he was the Most Powerful figure, smarter than Harry, more experienced, more wise, the more fitting wizard to have an end battle with Voldemort. However, because the main character IS Harry Potter, they needed to remove Dumbledore so that Harry would be the only candidate worthy of facing Voldemort.

Who will die? I haven't a clue. A lot of people are saying it's going to be Harry. Sometimes authors are known to do this to prevent the rewriting of their characters. Don Quixote comes to mind. I do not have a suspicion one way or the other, but I will say that I don't like Ron & Hermione paired together, so if Ron dies that would leave the door open for Harry. That's just my personal wish if one of the three has to go, although I would rather NONE of those three die...let it be Ginny! Or anyone else save for the 3 best friends!

death vote: Ron 
Snape prediction: good

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

#14 | Back to Top07-19-2007 12:16:53 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Stormcrow wrote:

That's a hell of a cop out. Although considering that Dumbledore fulfills the Wise Benefactor role, he's due for a reincarnation or two.

On Snape, I'm inclined to agree, though. I just want to know what Dumbledore's proof is. I think it might be somewhat tied to why Snape's been trying to protect Harry since Book 1. I can't buy that whole 'James saved his life and so he owes you" explanation. I think there's something else, but I don't know what it could possibly be.

Also, R.A.B. = Regulas A. Black, y/n?

Dumbledore: He has a painting. Could that be what they mean by him coming back to life?

Last edited by morosemocha (07-19-2007 12:18:21 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#15 | Back to Top07-19-2007 12:17:02 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

I agree -- Snape is the good guy, and he's gonna end up dying. Which is sad, as he's my favorite. Because what else could he and Dumbledore been arguing about that got him so upset? He must have told him about the Unbreakable Vow, and how he wanted to just Break the Unbreakable Vow and die, but Dumbledore wouldn't let him. I figure he would rather die at the friend of a colleague instead of letting some poor young boy kill and have his life be completely ruined by something he was bred to be.

On R.A.B., I haven't really given it this much thought, but it's a possibility. Although I do believe that R.A.B. is someone we haven't met before. Sirius painted his brother to be some sort of coward who got too far in and couldn't get out. I don't figure him to be the guy looking for the Horcruxes, unless Sirius didn't know he wasn't really a Death Eater and was some sort of Order of the Phoenix secret agent or something.

Last edited by Lady Nilamarthiel (07-19-2007 12:23:48 AM)

#16 | Back to Top07-19-2007 12:25:20 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I suppose this is the thread to ask someone to explain something to me that I've wondered since I exposed myself to HP fandom: Why the hell do people like Draco Malfoy? Rowling hates him and wrote him specifically to be a slimeball with no redeeming qualities. He was developed more in Book 6 but before then he had all the depth of a rain puddle. So why all the fans? He's the character that the Trope Draco in Leather Pants was named for. I'm just... baffled, that's all.

#17 | Back to Top07-19-2007 12:30:45 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

I never understood, either. I don't like him, either. I don't understand why Lucius Malfoy has fans, either. He's COMPLETELY rotten, also with no redeeming qualities. I personally think that both characters were popularized by the movies, because they describe them as aristocratically attractive in the books, people can actually see them on the screen. And, from what I can tell, people a lot of girls like long-haired, pale-haired, pale-skinned guys. *coughsephirothcough*

#18 | Back to Top07-19-2007 12:31:44 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

I guess Ginny will die, leaving Harry alone. I just don't like the ending too perfect for Harry, because it would be less realistic.

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#19 | Back to Top07-19-2007 12:48:31 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Lady N, that's a magnificent theory! Snape, the unsung hero, is the one to die at the end! I'm inclined to agree with you, it would be just tragic enough to realize the guy's been misunderstood all this time and then take the final bullet, and it would keep the three kids out of the clear! Perfect theory, I'm gonna bet you're right.

Draco, I also have zero love for that character, so I don't understand it either! The very first SLASH fanfiction I ever had the misfortune of reading was Harry/Draco. I was scarred and didn't run into the hot slash, because I had such horrors in my mind from that story. emot-biggrin He's mean to Harry, Ron, and Hermione - he's leading a pack of insane frolicking bullies, I'm with Rowling, I just can't stand his character! But I think fans maybe like to develop him with qualities of their own making, since he was NOT developed much before the 6th book. Who knows, but I'm with you Shattered. Startled.

#20 | Back to Top07-19-2007 01:07:51 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Thanks!

Then again, he may not die. I would totally laugh if the only ones who were to die were Voldemort and Lucius Malfoy.

What? Rowling never said which two leads were going to die, yeah? Why does everyone have to assume that it's the people on the Good Side? *snerk*

Because, no matter how many adult love this book, it was ultimately intended to be a children's/pre-teen's book. She's full aware that she has fans as young as six, and that's why she's made two different versions in England. In America, we only get the censored "Children's Book", where there's no overt vulgarity or extreme violence. There's also the Adult version, where we find out JUST what Gred and Forge were going to say about where their boils were that was so uncomfortable. >D

If she were to forget, some children would cry and and say, "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY KILLED HARRY/RON/HERMIONE/HAGRID/FRED/GEORGE/LUPIN/SNAPE/DOBBY I HATE THIS BOOK I'M SCARRED FOR LIIIIIIFE," and she doesn't want that. She wants her fans of all ages to enjoy it to the very end. She already killed Dumbledore and Sirius, she'll only probably will kill a minor character on the good side (or possibly Tonks, which would make Remus freak out) for those older readers, but keep the younger readers happy with the Good Always Prevails ending.

#21 | Back to Top07-19-2007 01:17:53 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Death vote: Definitely Voldemort; almost certainly Harry; probably Snape.  Voldemort and Harry are too closely linked for one to live while the other dies.  Edited to add, in response to Lady N: Good Always Prevails, while part of the message of the HP books, is incomplete; the message is, Good Always Prevails At A Cost.  You can actually watch her ramping up the deaths: minor player Cedric in Book 4, then major player Sirius in Book 5, then beloved Dumbledore in Book 6.  The only cost good can pay in Book 7 that won't pale beside the costs good has already paid is for the Boy Who Lived to die.

R.A.B.: Regulus Black, for three reasons.  First, while we aren't told his middle name in the books, we need an excuse to revisit and tie up the Sirius thread of the plot.  Tracing Regulus's movements will give Harry a way to reconcile himself to Sirius's death.  Second, Miney does some research at the end of Book 6 and comes up with a list of R.A.B.s, but Regulus Black doesn't make the list.  Rowling pays attention to detail; if Hermione missed this name, there's a reason.  Third and most compellingly, R.A.B.'s last initial changes in foreign-language editions to match Regulus Black's last initial.  To my mind, this last detail proves that at the very least, Harry will spend some time in Book 7 believing that R.A.B. is Regulus Black.

I'll be watching for the fate of Neville, the other boy who the prophecy could apply to.

Last edited by satyreyes (07-19-2007 01:20:51 AM)

#22 | Back to Top07-19-2007 01:23:02 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

TWO VERSIONS!!!! emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa

I was not aware of this! I haven't been more disappointed since the day I found out the Sailor Moon I watched was the crapped up edited version!

Interesting point you make about her keeping the Good Always Prevails ending that is present in many children's stories, and certainly the beginning of HP series. I think it could still be accomplished with the death of Snape - because as far as I can tell, most of the little tiny children think that Snape is pure evil. It's the teens/adults who have perceived the fact that Snape couldn't be bad, and Dumbledore retain his idealistic form of the All Knowing Savior. Then there's the fact that by book 6, it was really getting dark (the book), Harry's perspective in the last few books was really negative as opposed to the downtrodden but optimistic good boy. The character death could go either way, that’s what is so appealing - makes me want to find out. In fact, I won’t be sleeping in line to gather this book, although I hear if you do - you get to hear JK Rowling read the first two chapters, live via television (or maybe it’s prerecorded), but that’s a perk. I think it may be fun to go take pictures of the kiddies dressed up in Potter clothes outside of the stores. Maybe I will. Anyone else planning to wait in line to get the book as soon as it is released?

I forgot what the signifigance of RAB was. emot-frown A clue left as to who was helping Voldy along?

Last edited by Frosty (07-19-2007 01:26:31 AM)

#23 | Back to Top07-19-2007 01:28:42 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Frosty wrote:

I forgot what the signifigance of RAB was. emot-frown A clue left as to who was helping Voldy along?

Not quite.  Remember at the end of Book 6, when it turned out that the locket Dumbledore had drunk the sickening potion to get to wasn't a Horcrux after all?  It was a fake left by "R.A.B.", who enclosed a note saying that he had taken the real Horcrux and planned to destroy it.  Regulus Black, you'll remember, was a Death Eater who at some point abandoned his allegiance to Voldemort; I'm not sure we've learned why.

Last edited by satyreyes (07-19-2007 01:29:14 AM)

#24 | Back to Top07-19-2007 01:39:44 AM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

Well, I think you are all ignoring what Harry Potter is really all about--the relationships. VoldemortXRiddle is OTP Truw Wub! The book *WILL* end with little Volde Riddle babies or JK is a hack! This R serious thread and I R serious poster.

I don't know if the youth of her audience will keep her from killing fan favorites. The fact that she was willing to kill those characters she has already offed suggests that she isn't shy about killing people when the plot requires it. Of course, you could argue it either way--she has killed and has killed enough or she has killed and will kill again.  It will depend on how the story goes. I was more upset about Sirius than Dumbledore. From the beginning, I thought Dumbledore would be dead by book 5, so he lasted longer than I expected.

What are some of the most odd HP theories you've ever heard? For me, it is that the centaurs raped Umbridge when they carried her off. I think the argument went that she was very disturbed and there was no physical markings on her, so they must have raped her. (If your brain just quit for a moment, you are not the only one.) Also, JK knows a lot of mythology and centaurs would rape women, so the centaurs must have raped Umbridge. emot-rolleyes Dumbledore is Ron from the future is also a strange theory. <edit to fix name order>

I want Percy to die. Hopefully he will fall into an open sewer and be swept away and no one will notice or care.

Last edited by alexielnet (07-19-2007 12:13:10 PM)

#25 | Back to Top07-19-2007 04:13:12 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I haven't read of the HP books, only watched the movies but I think Dumbledore could come back to life because I think that The Order of the Phoenix wasn't just named in honour of his pet but something to do with how he could arise from the dead as I think his very nature is related to the Phoenix somehow.

Personally I like the series Negima better even if it has being discribed as A Welsh Harry Potter and the Harem of Hotties.

Board footer