This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-12-2012 06:01:51 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

What stale media archetypes make no sense to you?

For me, it's the "rebellious" teenager who flaunts his/her lifestyle to their parents. Why would you want your frumpy middle-aged progenitors to be initiated into the hyper-sexualized world of parties and drugs and crap, even superficially? I can understand why you'd want to corrupt the nation's youth, but the nation's elderly are a completely different matter.

#2 | Back to Top07-12-2012 06:20:38 PM

Scoluron
Rose Bride

Re: What stale media archetypes make no sense to you?

I don't buy the brainy kid/guy/gal who has no understanding of popular culture.  It's one thing to not understand how to date; it's another to be caught completely off-guard by stuff everyone sees all the time.  Sure it can happen, but...not that often.

"Himemiya! I've misjudged you!" "My image of you is ruined."

#3 | Back to Top07-12-2012 06:28:57 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

IRL, those people look down on pop culture, it's one thing to portray people making fun of it and spreading the meme like on Comedy Central, it's another thing for people to sneer at it in aristocratic contempt and make everyone feel stupid for even turning on the set.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (07-12-2012 06:30:18 PM)

#4 | Back to Top07-12-2012 06:45:25 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

The way that the brilliant socially inept nerd who ends up dating the hottie is always male, and the hottie is always female. It's seen as 'normal', where the other way around- female genius nerd with the stunning supermodel lad- is basically non existant. Oh, the female nerd is around, but you're talking about a handful examples as opposed to entire shows being devoted to smart ugly men and vapid social climbing bimbos determined to prove that they have more than three brain cells to rub together. Moral of the story? Smart girls are never attractive and never sexually desirable regardless of how brilliant and talented they are, and all men are Shallow Hals. 

What a wank.

#5 | Back to Top07-12-2012 06:59:14 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

The physically challenged tech god. It implies someone that can't kick ass in the most literal sense possible is only useful in a support role and not on the front lines. It's insulting.

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#6 | Back to Top07-12-2012 09:24:41 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

The Jungle Princess always puzzled me. A feral child who learns to speak perfect English with a super pretty leopard skin dress? In real life she would live on the edges of society if she had lived at all.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#7 | Back to Top07-13-2012 12:50:54 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

How about the outdated idea that girls will watch shows with a male lead but boys will never watch shows with a female lead? Seriously, Nickelodeon was hesitant to green-light Legend of Korra because the show had a female lead character as the Avatar. This is in spite of the fact the the previous series, Avatar: The Last Airbender had plenty of strong female characters and not to mention a huge female fanbase. But, apparently the female fanbase is insignificant and males are the only population segment that matters.

Of course, Nickelodeon got proved wrong by the fact that Legend of Korra is one of their most popular series and both men and women like it. They even ended up renewing it for more episodes than previously expected. And it is a good show, even though it does have flaws that we've discussed in length at the Korra thread.

tl;dr: The idea that males are the only demographic in TV that matters and the idea that males won't watch shows with a female lead protagonist is sexist bullshit.

But we are like, totally like, in a post-sexist era! /sarcasm

Edit: I was reading articles about Korra since today was the day they had a Comic-Con Pannel for it and sadly I've never been able to go to Comic-Con because I'm hella poor and I can't convince my dad that we should just go a vacation to San Diego and that he can drop me off there and then go do his own thing.

Anyway...the point is that Korra is actually THE highest rated show on Nickelodeon. As in, it's number one and I bet season two will have super high ratings when it comes out in 2013. (Why must you torment us with the long waiting period between seasons Bryke?) And yet, even though this show has made Nickelodeon mad amounts of cash, they didn't want to green-light it at first because Korra's a girl. Well, looks like their sexist assumptions can go burn in hell! school-devil

Last edited by CausalityStar (07-13-2012 09:09:23 PM)

#8 | Back to Top07-13-2012 12:58:53 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

crystalwren wrote:

The way that the brilliant socially inept nerd who ends up dating the hottie is always male, and the hottie is always female. It's seen as 'normal', where the other way around- female genius nerd with the stunning supermodel lad- is basically non existant. Oh, the female nerd is around, but you're talking about a handful examples as opposed to entire shows being devoted to smart ugly men and vapid social climbing bimbos determined to prove that they have more than three brain cells to rub together. Moral of the story? Smart girls are never attractive and never sexually desirable regardless of how brilliant and talented they are, and all men are Shallow Hals. 

What a wank.

You're so right about that. It's even worse when the plot for these kind of shows has Nice Guy TM undertones. You know, the nerdy brilliant guy is such a nice person and totally deserves a relationship with an attractive women because women are vending machines and if you put a certain amount of so-called "niceness" into them, then that means they owe you sex and/or a relationship. Oh, and if the woman doesn't get into a relationship with the nerdy man, then that just means she's a shallow bimbo who will only date attractive, asshole men and end up getting her heart broken only to be saved by the nice nerd guy's penis.

There are definitely a lot of beauty-shamming myths associated with this trope.

Beautiful Women=Stupid bimbos who need to be saved from their stupidity by a Nice Guy TM nerd
Beautiful Men=Assholes that the beautiful woman only dates because she's stupid.

#9 | Back to Top07-13-2012 10:16:08 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

CausalityStar wrote:

Beautiful Women=Stupid bimbos who need to be saved from their stupidity by a Nice Guy TM nerd
Beautiful Men=Assholes that the beautiful woman only dates because she's stupid.

There's also the slender (even non-bone-showing) girls = anorexic thing going on (cause god forbid if someone actually eat right and exercise to have high metabolism and look fit), and how junk-food (note, not real food) munching female leads are depicted as normal = healthy, despite all the fat that must be clogging up their arteries, and all the sugar that's putting them at risk with diabetes.

My main peeve will be how North American Straight Boys MUST act as rabid male dogs who'd do ANY ridiculous things in their craving for any sex with any female just because they are straight boys (see ALL hollywood teen flicks): those who are reserved with females are either depicted as flamboyantly effeminate and/or closet homosexuals and exists on film to be ridiculed by other boys.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#10 | Back to Top07-13-2012 01:57:59 PM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

Social outcast really just wants to be popular and in the limelight.

I also disagree that there aren't that many nerdy girl, attractive guy tropes.  Things like She's All That flooded the 90's, but it's generally along the lines of "well, first we have to make her over," which might be the truly objectionable part.  Not sure.  Do they makeover the nerdy guys?  I don't watch enough of these.

#11 | Back to Top07-13-2012 06:36:20 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

gorgeousshutin wrote:

My main peeve will be how North American Straight Boys MUST act as rabid male dogs who'd do ANY ridiculous things in their craving for any sex with any female just because they are straight boys (see ALL hollywood teen flicks): those who are reserved with females are either depicted as flamboyantly effeminate and/or closet homosexuals and exists on film to be ridiculed by other boys.

That's the ideal corporate citizen, someone who's both lustful and obedient.

#12 | Back to Top07-13-2012 06:53:11 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Overlord Morgus wrote:

That's the ideal corporate citizen, someone who's both lustful and obedient.

Talk about a gender role "coffin". emot-mad

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#13 | Back to Top07-13-2012 07:38:59 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

People underestimate just how calculated their beloved media archetypes are.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (07-13-2012 07:50:32 PM)

#14 | Back to Top07-27-2012 12:17:08 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

oddity wrote:

The Rainman. Just ugh. No.

Eh...I'm sort of tolerant with the whole savant thing. My father's family has strong tendencies towards both autism/borderline autism and savants. To the point where I've been called a liar rather a lot if I make the mistake of talking about them. I didn't understand for a long time that people 'could only do those things on television'. Considering that of my father's four children, two are savants (albeit not as extreme as the commonly depicted media trope) and one is terrifyingly brilliant but with a severe PD, Rainman is not impossible for me to believe.

A trope that pisses me off: rape storylines about women always show the assault as a terrible crime, but rape storylines with men as the victim are always funny. There's a long running storyline in the Sexy Losers online comic with a teenage guy and his sexually predatory mother. It's immensely popular, extremely funny and it's one of my favourites; I'll confess. But when the writer decided to run a series of strips where the genders were flipped around- a horny man and his horrified daughter- the author wrote himself into the strip as getting the shit beaten out of him for it. And you know what? He's absolutely right.

I haven't read American comics in a long time and I'm starting to move back into them now. In the time since I quit Marvel in disgust, my favourite character (X-Men's Gambit) has had another ongoing series. And while I haven't read it I've read quite a few summeries and one storyline strikes me as pretty awful. Apparently, an former one nightstand drags Gambit in, strips him and basically coerces him into sex. And this two go one nightstand tapes the whole thing and sends copies out to his exes. Again, I haven't read the story in question but what I've read suggests that Gambit's main concern was getting those tapes before the exes got them- as opposed to being horrifically violated by the whole saga, and desperately needing a bath. I'll chase it up and read it eventually, but I'm not holding any great hopes for the story arc...

#15 | Back to Top07-27-2012 10:53:01 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

And they lived happily ever after archetype. I hate when movies/fairytales/etc. show only the perfect beginning of the relationship but don't show that relationship is a hard work. I'm pretty sure that every long-term relationship has its ups and downs.
When I was a kid I wasn't aware of that. I thought problems end when you meet your soulmate. In fact when you finally meet your special someone you two need to invest a lot in relationship. You need to accept the flaws of your partner, be patient, loving, caring, give some space, give support when it's necessary. Listen to them, understand them. People often think that they are in a bad relationship because it gets tough. In fact, they simply weren't prepared for the difficult moments.

Also, I hate Romantic gesture solves all problems theme. Romantic gestures don't solve anything. Conversations may solve problems. Changes of behaviour solves relationship problems. In movies it looks like that:
1) A girl isn't happy in a relationship with her boyfriend because of problem (X).
2) She breaks up with him because of X.
3) He doesn't fix the real problem (X), but makes some romantic gesture (RG) instead.
4) She broke up with him because of X but takes him back because of RG.

No logic at all. The only way to explain this is that she broke up with him because she expected him to do RM. Or she simply loves drama.

#16 | Back to Top07-27-2012 03:08:08 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

dlaire wrote:

And they lived happily ever after archetype. I hate when movies/fairytales/etc. show only the perfect beginning of the relationship but don't show that relationship is a hard work. I'm pretty sure that every long-term relationship has its ups and downs.

Some people seem to think that a couple must went until the end of a story before they can get together, and I can't help but think that they forget this. Granted, maybe a long-term relationship isn't as exciting as a will-they-ever-get-together story, but I think a good writer can make it work.

#17 | Back to Top07-27-2012 09:53:46 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

dlaire wrote:

And they lived happily ever after archetype.

THIS. Everything you just said. Oh, and I also hate the archetype that the first person you have a crush on and/or fall in love with must be your soul-mate and that if you can't work it out with them it means that you're a bad person.

#18 | Back to Top07-27-2012 11:31:11 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

oddity wrote:

Only a small portion of those with savant syndrome are prodigious savants (which is the type usually present in television and film), and only half of those with savant syndrome have autism. The problem is that many either expect autists to be savants or hope for a day when autistic people no longer exist (ex. anyone who's ever donated to Autism Speaks). Neither are healthy views in my opinion (as an autist), and they are usually the only views I see in media. I don't feel like Rainman is unbelievable, but I feel it is a stereotype.

There's a point there, although I do think that there needs to be some sort of treatment for the people with the most extreme forms of autism, the ones that are completely incapable of functioning. I don't mean a cure, because I agree with you that we don't need one; but there needs to be a way of unlocking the ones trapped in their own heads.

There are two common stereotypes regarding autism that make me foam at the mouth and chew at my keyboard: one is that the only form of savantism is mathematics/musically based (BULL. SHIT.), and the other is that the very mildest form of autism/Asperger's is what's portrayed in books like 'House Rules' and 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime'. There are many levels of functioning below and above that, so when people go around saying that they're the most accurate fictional portrayal of autism evah I want to haul them around by their hair and introduce them to the real animal. They're great books but they've a bad habit of encouraging inaccurate views and spreading misinformation, to say the least.

Given that half of autistics do indeed have some form of savantisim, I do think that automatically assuming that the autistic in front of you is a savant is not all that of a bad assumption. 50% is pretty damn good odds. It's annoying for the autistic but I do think it has a good influence on how people regard your levels of intelligence.

I still want to slap the shit out of Jody Picolt though. She has NOT helped the acceptance movement.

#19 | Back to Top07-28-2012 09:11:13 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

The MANY wish fulfillment animes (many of which having sizable, rapid fanbases) showing a weak/lazy/gluttonous person suddenly gaining magical and/or mecha powers, needlessly deferential friends, and/or a harem of adoring opposite sex - all at little apparent effort of said person's behalf; that ain't "empowering", that's brain-rottingly contrived that gives the juvinelle minded unrealistic worldview.

#20 | Back to Top09-12-2012 03:44:09 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

This speech from Warren Ellis - http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=14314 got me thinking about how we're still going to see the entirely retro unreasonable science fictiony portrayals of technology in TV and movies, in the same way that cellphones always still lose service during an emergency, even in a major metropolitan area in the middle of the street or on fucking rooftops.

Because, without false drama and learned-shortcomings (that aren't real), there'd have to be actual effort, thought, and rewrites. And who wants that?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#21 | Back to Top10-05-2012 11:53:41 PM

Android raptor
Rose Smilee
Website

Mothers as wonderful, holy being who can do no wrong and never, ever deliberately harm their children. Crapping out a kid isn't going to magically turn a sociopath into a loving, wonderful human being. Yet in most media, if a mother does anything wrong it's usually glossed over "because she still meant well" or blamed on the kid. Or treated as comedy, like in many sitcoms. It really sets up a horrible environment for those of us with abusive mother because we have to deal with so much not being taken seriously, people trying to to justify her actions, and victim blaming.

I mean, there are some honest depictions of abusive mothers (the 2012 Lorax has one! Which is really surprising since it's a kids movie), but they tend to be pretty rare as opposed to the depictions of abusive fathers which are a dime a dozen.

#22 | Back to Top10-06-2012 10:37:12 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Stepmothers can be pretty nasty though.

#23 | Back to Top10-06-2012 11:24:46 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

This speech from Warren Ellis - http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=14314 got me thinking about how we're still going to see the entirely retro unreasonable science fictiony portrayals of technology in TV and movies, in the same way that cellphones always still lose service during an emergency, even in a major metropolitan area in the middle of the street or on fucking rooftops.

Because, without false drama and learned-shortcomings (that aren't real), there'd have to be actual effort, thought, and rewrites. And who wants that?

The speech reminded me instead of what Douglas Hofstadter called Tesler's Theorem: "Artificial intelligence is whatever hasn't been done yet."  Set whatever standard you want for artificial intelligence (or for when we'll be "living in the future"); once we meet that standard, it becomes clear that artificial intelligence (or the future) was something else after all.

That said, cell phones (and land lines) do still lose service during major emergencies, even if you're on a rooftop on a sunny day.  "All circuits are busy."  Our infrastructure isn't built to handle the simultaneous bandwidth of everyone using it at once, the same way a website crashes if everyone tries to load it at once.  This is doubly true if the infrastructure itself is damaged by the emergency, as in the aftermath of a hurricane, but it can happen even if the infrastructure is intact; a lot of people in New York discovered this during 9/11.

Stale media archetypes that make no sense to me... I dunno.  To say that an archetype makes no sense to me is like saying that I can't imagine how it's true of anyone's experience, which would most likely just reflect a failure of imagination on my part.  There are plenty of archetypes (in fact, pretty much all of them) that I suspect are way overused, and plenty of real people whose experiences I rarely or never see represented in media, but I guess those are different complaints.

#24 | Back to Top10-06-2012 02:10:26 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I lot of my issues have more to do with the framing of certain archetypes rather than the archetypes themselves.

For example, the common tv plotline that involves a businesslike, over working parent, one non-working parent and children. The kids and the non-working parent will give the working parent grief and guilt for working too much and not spending time with the family.  Which is totally understandable, and makes for an interesting and relate-able family dilemma.  The problem is, the moral of the story or the resolution will always involve the parent getting a new job or working less. 

BULL.

BULL.

AND CRAP.

The ending is never that the family comes to learn to appreciate how much the working parent loves them -that the whole reason they work is to provide for them, and the working parent learns how to communicate this to his/her family better (say, instead of bottling up the stress and then lashing out when their kid makes a comment about their absence).  And more importantly, that unless the other parent gets a job, they win the lottery or decide to move into a cheaper home, the workload is absolutely necessary.  Jobs are not easy to switch, and many jobs do not offer flexible schedules and workloads -that is the real world.  Working parents already feel guilt over not spending enough time with their family, they don't need movies written by rich people guilt-tripping them further.

Did I mention that I adore Daria?  Both parents work, but the mom undoubtedly works a more demanding and stressful job.  What makes Daria's mother such a compelling, well-rounded character and Daria so likable is because the mother does worry (a lot) about whether or not she can be a "proper" mother to her daughters, and what that even means, while still taking pride in her work, and Daria, while (deep down) upset by her mother's inability to understand her at times, is mature enough to understand and respect the dual roles her mother must juggle.

#25 | Back to Top10-06-2012 02:24:29 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

The ending is never that the family comes to learn to appreciate how much the working parent loves them -that the whole reason they work is to provide for them, and the working parent learns how to communicate this to his/her family better (say, instead of bottling up the stress and then lashing out when their kid makes a comment about their absence).

Ugh this. The sad thing is I remember when this was stale but used exclusively for working moms, and now it's used for fathers as well. It's like society has a collectively guilty conscience about having to work hard to support children. As well it should maybe. Parents are pinned between being unable to afford children, or being unable to find time to raise them.

As for archetypes I'm sick of, I think it's the tragically depressed wealthy person. I will admit several examples of this are actually in things I totally god damn love (Thomas Crown Affair), so it can be done well or have a fun twist thrown on it, but nine times out of ten, wealthy characters in things seem to be constantly plagued with a soul sucking misery brought on by their wealth and privilege. Can that be an interesting story? Sure, but it's so often done as if it's supposed to make the comparatively poor viewer feel better about their own situation. emot-rolleyes

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer